General Discussion Race Reports! » Rolf Prima Tri at the Grove - Sprint Distance Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Rolf Prima Tri at the Grove - Sprint Distance - Triathlon

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Cottage Grove, Oregon
United States
Rolf Prima
58F / 14C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 15m 15s
Overall Rank = 2/85
Age Group = 40-44
Age Group Rank = 1/11
Pre-race routine:

Up at 5:15, Kashi, kefir, toast and coffee for breakfast. More coffee on way to race. A bit rushed to race due to family going along and crowded parking. Arrived at about 6:45 and set up transition, marking, etc.
Event warmup:

About ten minutes of jogging with strides. Rode bike up first hill to set gears. No swim warmup as air temp was in the low 50's at the start and was afraid I'd get chilled waiting for the start as I was only wearing a shorty sleeveless wetsuit. (My master's swim coach was there and suggested I not do a swim warmup, just keep moving onshore. Splashed arms and face with water shortly before start.)
Swim
  • 13m 41s
  • 750 meters
  • 01m 49s / 100 meters
Comments:

Got out a bit slowly owing to lack of warmup but got up to speed and able to cut in by first buoy without too much difficulty. Almost crashed into a woman in front of me at about 300m who suddenly flipped over and started doing backstroke. (??Maybe she swallowed water and panicked?) Eventually got on the tail of the woman in second (who later won the race) and tried to draft off of her; she surged a bit at the end and I ended up about 15 seconds back of her.
What would you do differently?:

Obviously it would be better to have a warmup, but under the circumstances it probably would have been counterproductive. My coach knows my issues with cold all too well and I trust her judgment.

Actually doing some training would probably also be a good idea. I've been on vacation since June 26 and had done a total of two pretty easy swims in hotel pools, three brisk OWS of 30-40 minutes (two lakes plus Adriatic), plus two master's workouts in the past week since getting back.
Transition 1
  • 01m 34s
Comments:

Not bad considering I had a wetsuit to get off.

Not sure. Really needed to somehow mark my spot in transition. Had a bit of trouble finding my bike as it was free racking and there were a lot of other red bikes nearby. (In Singapore races there is usually racking by number and/or I'm in the elite wave and racked in an obvious place with a small number of others, whose bikes are all way better than mine. All I have to do there is find the only bike in the elite section without race wheels and covered with stickers!)
Bike
  • 37m 20s
  • 12 miles
  • 19.14 mile/hr
Comments:

Kind of slow pace--not sure how much was lack of fitness and how much the hills slowed me down. I had done NO bike speedwork, except for two harder rides earlier in the week, all summer! (Three weeks of touring at Mom's pace hauling stuff for both of us.) Managed to drop my water bottle at eight miles so the last part of the ride and first half of the run was a somewhat thirsty endeavor. (Humidity very low and not used to that.)

Stay in aero more. I was only in aero about half the time as some of the course through the woods was very dark with my dark sunglasses. Hadn't ridden the course recently and worried about hazards I couldn't see as much of paving was rough. Either wear my sunglasses that aren't as dark and/or ride the course in advance so I felt more confident in aero.

Plus, ahem, actually train for the event.....
Transition 2
  • 01m 26s
Comments:

Ugh! Not used to free racking (see above) and had an even worse time trying to find my running shoes. Thought my bright pink and yellow racing flats would be distinctive but didn't spy them with all the buckets, baskets, and suitcases in transition. Wasted about 45 seconds looking for my shoes. Grrrrr!

Tie a ribbon above my area in the rack, or something.
Run
  • 21m 15s
  • 5 kms
  • 04m 16s  min/km
Comments:

Improbably, felt pretty strong most of the way. No cramps or wobbles though I did start to feel a bit nauseous in the last few minutes.

Actually train for the event. I ran a total of eight times in almost four weeks of vacation, and none of those runs can be construed as speedwork. (Two possibly as hill work.) One "speed" workout consisting of 12 X 1 minute runs at 5K race effort, Tuesday before the race. But it went surprisingly well for not having trained and obviously weak bike fitness as well.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around a bit. Jogged about ten minutes. After awards and driving back to Eugene, did an easy 20-mile ride with Mom. Worked well as not sore the next day.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Mainly doing almost zero race-focused training all summer.

Also, crap T2 as I wasted a lot of time trying to find my shoes; needed to pay more attention to where I put my stuff and to path to run out.

Event comments:

I loved this race. It's the first, and quite possibly the only, tri that both my parents have been able to be there for, so it meant a lot to me to do it even though I wasn't really prepared. I've wanted to do it for several years and even done a practice tri on the course a few years ago, but the timing hasn't worked out with work commitments (two years ago) and my HIM (last year). It just embodies the best of what my hometown area has to offer (clean, scenic lakes, painfully beautiful roads, glorious summer weather).

Very well-organized and user-friendly for beginners as well as experienced athletes. I didn't like the free racking arrangement, but should have been better prepared for it as I know it's common in the US. Other than that, no complaints.

Last updated: 2013-07-28 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:13:41 | 750 meters | 01m 49s / 100meters
Age Group: 1/11
Overall: 3/85
Performance: Good
Included some run to the mat; about 13:10 when I stood up and checked watch.
Suit: ProMotion sleeveless shorty
Course: Basically a big square, one loop, in Cottage Grove Lake. No noticeable wind or chop.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 76F / 24C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Good
Waves: Good Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:34
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:37:20 | 12 miles | 19.14 mile/hr
Age Group: 2/11
Overall: 6/85
Wind: Little
Course: Rolling hills most of the way. A few false flats (up and down) and shorter, steeper climbs. Nothing extreme. Basically a loop around Cottage Grove Lake with an out and back stretch to get the 20 km and a steep climb up the dam toward the end.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence: ?
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 01:26
Overall: Bad
Riding w/ feet on shoes Below average
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Below average
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:21:15 | 05 kms | 04m 16s  min/km
Age Group: 1/11
Overall: 1/85
Course: Out and back on flat forest service road, maybe a mile of it unpaved.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %?
Overall: Below average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2013-07-28 5:57 PM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Subject: Rolf Prima Tri at the Grove - Sprint Distance

2013-07-28 7:49 PM
in reply to: #4815206

User image

Master
Central Kansas
Subject: RE: Rolf Prima Tri at the Grove - Sprint Distance
Great job and congrats on your finish. It's really cool that your parents were able to watch you race. I am sure that meant a lot to all three of you.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Rolf Prima Tri at the Grove - Sprint Distance Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Maple Grove Triathlon: Dare to TRI - Sprint Course

Started by BloomingRunner
Views: 1251 Posts: 2

2012-08-29 1:59 PM BikerGrrrl

Triathlon at Pacific Grove - Sprint Distance

Started by Marissa84
Views: 763 Posts: 1

2011-10-12 7:19 PM Marissa84

Started by evanlang
Views: 896 Posts: 1

2011-09-12 12:44 AM evanlang

Rolf Prima Tri at the Grove - Sprint Distance

Started by Deekduck
Views: 983 Posts: 1

2011-07-26 5:57 AM Deekduck

Started by mpeasley
Views: 1003 Posts: 1

2011-03-03 11:14 AM mpeasley
RELATED ARTICLES
date : November 21, 2011
author : etra77
comments : 0
Aunt and Nephew do their first Sprint Triathlon together

date : July 28, 2009
author : Coach AJ
comments : 1
I'm doing the 22 week sprint tri program and the 2 mile bike ride it starts with is not very challenging. I see this as a opportunity to train the right way and challenge myself. Any ideas?
date : October 7, 2008
author : gczarski
This past spring I realized a few of us were heading in the wrong direction physically. We were getting together for poker games and kids’ birthdays, but that was it.

date : September 8, 2008
author : pjwalzphd
comments : 2
When I told my husband that I planned to work toward completing a sprint triathlon, he smiled and was supportive, but a bit disbelieving.
date : April 1, 2008
author : trvw
The challenge? The accomplishment? I want to do this because it is an opportunity to live life. The event is an indoor sprint triathlon. I get to experience the challenge on a safer scale.

date : September 3, 2006
author : acbadger
comments : 1
Since your “A” race is your marathon, which you stated in your question, this should be your main focus. I encourage you to taper a bit for the sprint distance triathlon.
date : March 5, 2006
author : gsmacleod
comments : 5
A three month program designed to help beginning swimmers improve technique for a sprint distance race.

date : September 10, 2004
author : Team BT
History of the triathlon and distances.