General Discussion Triathlon Talk » HM training plan Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-07-29 8:35 AM

Regular
Ottawa, ON
Subject: HM training plan
I am looking for suggestion on which HM training plan to choose. There are so many out there that I don’t know which one to choose from. I will be running the Ottawa Army Run on Sept. 22. This will be my first HM event.

What I am looking for is an aggressive plan for maximizing speed. I won’t need to start from week 1 as I believe I am in good running shape. I might be too hopeful but I would like to finish it in a time of 1:32-1:35.

My understanding is that the more I run, the better I will get. However as one of my main goal is to not impact family and other responsibilities, all my training are done during lunch time with exception of putting in a long run during the weekend. Another option is to run at night after kids are in bed (8-8:30pm). Therefore training time is a huge factor for me.

Info about me: running on a non-regular basis, had never ran more than 50 min. (I know I have to start doing that as a 1st step), last open 10k of 41:42 in May 2013, age is 33 @ 140lbs, ~4:30 pace (km) can be define as my zone 2, once per week do speed work and tabata session (need inputs as I am just sprinting instead of a well structure plan/intervals)

Can you suggest me a good training plan to base myself on? I will have to modify it a little to fit my schedule but at least I will have a good baseline.

Thank you everyone!

Cheers.

Minh

2013-07-29 9:44 AM
in reply to: mtx

User image

Champion
Sarasota, FL
Subject: RE: HM training plan

If you can get in several shorter runs during the week on your lunch hour and and some progressively longer runs on the weekend, then you should be OK.  I'd suggest that you mainly focus on frequency and consistency at this point.  Maybe make one of your shorter runs a tempo run.  I'd caution about being too agressive with any speed work at this point, which might be risking injury.   

Good luck,

Mark

2013-07-29 12:21 PM
in reply to: RedCorvette

Regular
Ottawa, ON
Subject: RE: HM training plan
Thanks for the replies. I am considering this plan with some adjustements:

http://rw.runnersworld.com/challenge/plans/half/break-130.pdf

However I am a little afraid that I will get injured following this plan without a good base or running background. Also there is no hill workout on this plan. Should I incorporate some in it? (btw does stairs has the same effect as hills?)

Thanks
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » HM training plan Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Jeff Galloway HM training plan

Started by Turnin2
Views: 1265 Posts: 5

2013-04-21 7:44 AM RedCorvette

HM training plan

Started by Oysterboy
Views: 462 Posts: 3

2012-09-27 12:03 PM reecealan

HM training plan

Started by nolehypothesis
Views: 767 Posts: 7

2011-10-26 3:58 PM Tom Demerly.

Help! Post-Tendonitis 5 Week HM Training Plan

Started by SoccerGK
Views: 958 Posts: 4

2011-03-26 5:53 PM tkos

Higdon's Intermediate HM training plan

Started by nc452010
Views: 1639 Posts: 16

2010-08-06 11:49 AM BrandonCohen
RELATED ARTICLES
date : June 21, 2011
author : mikericci
comments : 0
How to tweak your training plan to account for frequent races

date : February 3, 2011
author : alicefoeller
comments : 4
Scheduling workouts in the Custom Training Plan Creator for an ideal, balanced, injury-free season
date : January 20, 2011
author : Coach AJ
comments : 3
Using a high-volume schedule for many months is not the best tactic. Build speed and skill several months out, and then transition to a high-volume IM plan.

date : July 19, 2009
This training plan has only 2 workouts per sport per week and peaks at 7.5 hours per week of training. Use this plan if you are time constrained or if you want to focus more on your family.
date : February 12, 2008
This plan is designed to make you go faster. 3 workouts per week in each sport, 2 days of strength training and core work. The maximum volume is around 10 hours toward the end of the 12 weeks.

date : February 12, 2008
comments : 1
This plan is designed to make you go faster. 3 workouts per week in each sport, 2 days of strength training and core work. The maximum volume is around 14 hours toward the end of the 10 weeks.
date : January 9, 2008
comments : 1
This plan is an advanced plan in terms of volume and intensity and appropriate for someone who is looking to go under 5:00 and as fast as 4:30. There isn’t a lot of fluff in the plan.

date : July 17, 2005
author : Brandon Heflin
So how do you plan for a season? Below, I’ve created a simple five step process to use as a primer for season planning.