Big 10 Network
16C / 61F
Overcast
Total Time = 58m 2s
Overall Rank = 3471/7269
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 1320/
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at 6am and realized that it was going to be a colder day than I was hoping for, the temps took a nose dive over the weekend with a high of 16C? What the HELL was that? Oh well, put on longer running tights, the race shirt (which I NEVER do, but as I don't have a whole lot of Nebraska running gear, I decided to wear the damn race shirt even though I hate wearing things with sleeves when running) and my old comfortable running shoes and headed out.
Event warmup:

There was no 'warm-up' to speak of unless you could 8,000 people standing around shivering. I'm glad that we live about 10 blocks from the start of this thing so we did a bit of jogging on the way over to TRY and get the legs loosened up a bit. It never really worked.

Tony was only signed up for the 5km, but according to his marathon training plan he was supposed to do at least 10miles today and figured that he would just do both the 10k and then the 5k as we *should* be done in time for him to get to the start corral for the next race.

And... more shivering.
Run
  • 58m 2s
  • 10 kms
  • 05m 54s  min/km
Comments:

This was quite possibly the most frustrating race I've ever done.

When we signed up for this race, I was a much slower runner and seeded myself according to what I thought my finish time was going to be. Well, because of that I don't think we ever got any clear running room to even get into a rhythm. There was so much starting, stopping, having to suddenly step laterally to either get out of the way of someone or to try and get by them. At times it felt like there was more lateral movement going on than any actual forward progress. It was a never-ending swarm of people. Granted, they were all quite jovial and dressed up in their teams colours, so that was great fun - and the slip and slide idea would have been great had the weather co-operated, but there was just NO room to actually run. I think I could have done this in at least 5-8 minutes faster, so I was really quite disappointed by this time. I had wanted some definitive proof that I have improved my running, and this was just NOT the place to have that happen.
What would you do differently?:

Seed myself higher - the insanely huge number of people that I ran by, around, and almost over in one or two cases leads me to believe that I could put myself way closer to the front to try and have some room to actually run.
Post race
Warm down:

Get into the massive corral of people to get water, Gatorade, crackers,pretzels, bananas, medals, more water, more bananas... c'mon people, let's keep this MOVING... and then someone did the worst crop dusting ever. No, it wasn't me, but if it HAD been me, I'd actually be proud of that sucker. As it was, I needed a gas mask.

As I'm not a beer drinker, and it was 8am I decided to pass on the beer tent to head home, do some core and shower before the Crownys came to pick us up to go wine tasting for the afternoon. :)

What limited your ability to perform faster:

The other 7,268 people around me.

Event comments:

They really did a good job of having a lot of stuff for after the race. Bands, that bean bag throwing game, bouncy castles, beer tent, etc.

Though by the time my race was over, I just wanted to get home!

Last updated: 2013-06-18 12:00 AM
Running
00:58:02 | 10 kms | 05m 54s  min/km
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/7269
Performance: Below average
Course: Out and back along the Lake Front Trail with a slip and slide bouncy thing at the turnaround. Wheeeee!!
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Below average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Too easy
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2013-07-29 9:28 AM

User image

Champion
Austin, Texas
Subject: BTN Big 10 10k Run

2013-07-29 9:47 AM
in reply to: #4815641

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida
Subject: RE: BTN Big 10 10k Run
Hmmm, well you got through it Yell.  I think there is actually a good take away from this and that is the feeling that you are a better runner than your time showed.  I think you have put in some work into it, now you just need to find the right race to go out there and blow the doors off it!
2013-07-29 9:55 AM
in reply to: cdban66

User image

Champion
Austin, Texas

Originally posted by cdban66 Hmmm, well you got through it Yell.  I think there is actually a good take away from this and that is the feeling that you are a better runner than your time showed.  I think you have put in some work into it, now you just need to find the right race to go out there and blow the doors off it!

Thanks for finding some positive in this Chris - though I can guarantee you there won't be any blowing off of doors, I'm not anywhere near fast enough for that.  It would be more like a polite knock and then asking if I'd be allowed through. 

2013-07-29 10:25 AM
in reply to: blueyedbikergirl

User image

Master
Originally posted by blueyedbikergirl

Originally posted by cdban66 Hmmm, well you got through it Yell.  I think there is actually a good take away from this and that is the feeling that you are a better runner than your time showed.  I think you have put in some work into it, now you just need to find the right race to go out there and blow the doors off it!

Thanks for finding some positive in this Chris - though I can guarantee you there won't be any blowing off of doors, I'm not anywhere near fast enough for that.  It would be more like a polite knock and then asking if I'd be allowed through. 

Unless...wait...crop dusting or running? Tongue out

Sorry it didn't go as planned. We had same issue with Pat's Run...except we stood around in the heating up morning not freezing. I don't know if it was so much that I was off in choosing my corral as much as other people thought they were faster, but either way it was an obstacle course  Undecided

Are most races in the city really crowded?

2013-07-29 10:40 AM
in reply to: 4agoodlife

User image

Champion
Austin, Texas
Originally posted by 4agoodlife

Unless...wait...crop dusting or running? Tongue out

Sorry it didn't go as planned. We had same issue with Pat's Run...except we stood around in the heating up morning not freezing. I don't know if it was so much that I was off in choosing my corral as much as other people thought they were faster, but either way it was an obstacle course  Undecided

Are most races in the city really crowded?

HA!!  Dude, if it were a crop dusting competition, I'd have NO troubles blowing the doors off that one!  Cool

It's probably a combination... people thinking they're a LOT faster than they are, and being off in choosing where I should have started.  Oh well, lesson learned.  This one is particularly crowded because of all the young 'uns that come out to do this one as it's entirely college themed.  Sigh. 

2013-07-29 10:46 AM

User image

Master
Orlando
NBC news did a report on the crazy weather most of the country has been having and one of the areas it mentioned was Chicago. They even did the report from your race. It looked like the entire city came out to run the 10k. Who knows, you may have been among the mass they were showing; you may be famous.

in races like that it is impossible to run as well as you are capable; still it looks like you did quite well. Of course, as your time is in kms, I could be wrong!

2013-07-29 11:34 AM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM
DS1 and I had the same issue at Bolder Boulder. I think at large races like that the only people going the right pace are the ones out front. At least you worked up an appetite for the wine!!! 
2013-07-29 12:11 PM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Champion
Austin, Texas
Originally posted by amd723 NBC news did a report on the crazy weather most of the country has been having and one of the areas it mentioned was Chicago. They even did the report from your race. It looked like the entire city came out to run the 10k. Who knows, you may have been among the mass they were showing; you may be famous.

in races like that it is impossible to run as well as you are capable; still it looks like you did quite well. Of course, as your time is in kms, I could be wrong!

It was insane!  Going from a really nice 85* day on Friday to waking up and it was MAYBE 60* 

I'm pretty sure that at the very least every college student with any affiliation to one of the BIG10 schools came out... as did their friends, their family, their friend's family... 

FYI - when you put it into miles it works out to ~9:21/mile  Not bad, but definitely not what I was hoping for. 

2013-07-29 12:11 PM
in reply to: rrrunner

User image

Champion
Austin, Texas

Originally posted by rrrunner DS1 and I had the same issue at Bolder Boulder. I think at large races like that the only people going the right pace are the ones out front. At least you worked up an appetite for the wine!!! 

LOL!  Believe me... no need to work up an appetite when it comes to wine! 

2013-07-29 12:22 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area
I'm sorry that the race wasn't what you had hoped but happy that it's because you were Too Darn Fast for your seed time! 
2013-07-29 12:27 PM

User image

Regular
LHOTP

Hilarious RR. 

Nebraska? WTF? 

You drove right past my house on the way there, and not even a quick stop and a shot of whiskey?  Ow.  That hurts.

Did you get a good look at the people in Nebraska (says the girl from Iowa)?  They don't run there!  And they're, you know, Nebraskan, so they have some really distorted views of themselves.  Of course you should have seeded yourself higher;)

2013-07-29 12:30 PM
in reply to: switch

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area
Originally posted by switch

Hilarious RR. 

Nebraska? WTF? 

You drove right past my house on the way there, and not even a quick stop and a shot of whiskey?  Ow.  That hurts.

Did you get a good look at the people in Nebraska (says the girl from Iowa)?  They don't run there!  And they're, you know, Nebraskan, so they have some really distorted views of themselves.  Of course you should have seeded yourself higher

I think that they were supposed to dress to support their favorite Big 10 team -- you know pick one of the TWELVE teams in the conference. 

2013-07-29 12:52 PM
in reply to: #4815641

User image

Science Nerd
Redwood City, California

Glad you got through it!  Sorry it was so frustrating.  I end up doing the same thing - seeding myself higher to avoid hassle.

Not sure I can support you running in a Nebraska shirt though.  Wink

2013-07-29 12:53 PM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Champion
Austin, Texas
Originally posted by jmkizer

Hilarious RR. 

Nebraska? WTF? 

Did you get a good look at the people in Nebraska (says the girl from Iowa)?  They don't run there!  And they're, you know, Nebraskan, so they have some really distorted views of themselves.  Of course you should have seeded yourself higher

I think that they were supposed to dress to support their favorite Big 10 team -- you know pick one of the TWELVE teams in the conference. 

I know!!! 

Being from Canuckville, we don't really pay attention to all the college football silliness (well, except for my dad as he used to do some reffing for UDub, and Washington State back in the day)... so I just kind of adopted Tony's college team (Nebraska as he went to UNO) and found myself in the insanity that is college football starting from going to last year's home opener. 

College football is INSANE!  And holy crap, the tail gate parties at games are freakin' epic!  

2013-07-29 1:00 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area
Originally posted by jmkizer

Hilarious RR. 

Nebraska? WTF? 

I know!!! 

Being from Canuckville, we don't really pay attention to all the college football silliness (well, except for my dad as he used to do some reffing for UDub, and Washington State back in the day)... so I just kind of adopted Tony's college team (Nebraska as he went to UNO) and found myself in the insanity that is college football starting from going to last year's home opener. 

College football is INSANE!  And holy crap, the tail gate parties at games are freakin' epic!  

When I was on the cross country team in high school, the football players would do stretches and count one-two-three-four-five-six-seven-eight and then clap their hands twice.  We would joke that they couldn't make it to ten.  The reconfigured Big 10 conference consisting of 12 schools reminds me of that!  Yeah, I know, branding, blah blah blah.  Whatever.  It's all about Big Money anyway.  At least if you are named the Atlantic Coast Conference or the Big East you can rearrange without being mocked.  ;-

Yes, epic tailgating!

2013-07-29 1:04 PM

User image

Regular
LHOTP
Duh...it says right there that it was in Chicago. I saw Nebraska and I just got all cray cray. I actually work for UNMC so I can't hate on them too much. Yeah, I think it's up to 14 next year, right? IDK, but it ain't 10.

2013-07-29 2:28 PM
in reply to: Artemis

User image

Champion
Austin, Texas
Originally posted by Artemis

Glad you got through it!  Sorry it was so frustrating.  I end up doing the same thing - seeding myself higher to avoid hassle.

Not sure I can support you running in a Nebraska shirt thoughWink

LOL!  It's all good (and the Nebraska thing is totally Tony's fault)... I'm also a Seahawks fan and a Canucks fan... so you've got your pick of teams to not support me in!  Hehehe!  Cool

2013-07-29 7:18 PM

User image

Veteran
Western Australia
Totally get where you are coming from in relation to the people. A word of warning never seed yourself in the second to last group of a 5k, not only will you have to dodge the people, but the toddlers, the 5 year olds, the families that spread themselves across the entire road and talk while they walk and the prams. I'm sure that in the first 4k run I did I actually did over 5ks with all the dodging involved.

BUT GREAT JOB in getting out of bed and doing the run in the cold.
2013-07-30 6:09 AM
in reply to: StaceyK

User image

Melon Presser

I still think you shoulda chili-sharted your way through awesome job ploughing through the madding crowd!

And your run HAS improved; you've improved it, km by km. It would have been nice to have confirmation of that, but nobody can take that hard work or its effect away from you. And it's part of your base for life now.

2013-07-30 11:22 AM
in reply to: TriAya

User image

Seattle

If I ever get in the situation of having to weave around people, stop and start, lateral jump, hurdle etc. etc. etc. I just pretend I underpaid for one of those obstacle runs.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » BTN Big 10 10k Run Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

BTN Big 10 10k Run

Started by NotSoJon
Views: 693 Posts: 1

2012-12-01 10:47 AM NotSoJon

Keep L.A. Running 5k Run/Walk, 10k Run & 10 and 20 Mile Coastal Bike Cruise

Started by fatoldtrailrunner
Views: 1207 Posts: 1

2010-07-11 6:20 PM fatoldtrailrunner

Cleveland Marathon / Half / 10 K (Run 10K)

Started by kebwilson
Views: 929 Posts: 2

2010-05-16 5:23 PM BigDH

Started by skavoovie
Views: 966 Posts: 3

2009-05-23 8:58 AM keyone

Started by abrezo
Views: 1116 Posts: 2

2009-05-18 2:40 PM skavoovie
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 29, 2013
author : jtriathlete
comments : 0
I'm curious about the 'don't increase your run by more than 10% per week' rule. Is there a minimum mileage under which this doesn't apply?

date : October 24, 2006
author : KevinKonczak
comments : 1
Discussions on keeping heart-rate down on hills, the fat burning zone, lactate threshold (LT) testing, max trainer hours, high HR on the run/walk, the 10% rule and different running workouts.
date : June 5, 2006
author : mikericci
How should I go about training for the marathon while also building base in the other two events? Doing this seems like it's causing me to break the 10% rule in running.

date : January 1, 2006
author : browncd
comments : 1
Trials on getting a bike that fits while also being reliable
date : October 2, 2005
author : DominiqueL
Yes, the Dual is a little heavier than Cervèlo’s high end counterparts. But…the price is within reach of the masses and it still incorporates all of the design features that make a Cervèlo special.

date : July 31, 2005
author : Michael Silva
I’m a 240lb man, and I run relatively long distances. How would you recommend training for marathon and IM distances as heavy as I am?
date : June 14, 2005
author : smeeko
Training plan featuring specific interval-type and track workouts to increase your 10K speed over the course of 2 months.

date : September 26, 2004
author : jhealy422
comments : 2
For as long as I can remember, I’ve had weight issues. I remember standing on the scale as a child weighing 60 pounds and feeling fat. My family dealt with stress by eating.