General Discussion Triathlon Talk » first triathlon and a horrible swim Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2013-07-29 12:12 PM

User image

Subject: first triathlon and a horrible swim
I had my first triathlon this weekend. It was a sprint. The bike, running, and even transitions went well, but my swim was terrible. I was one of the last people out of the water. It was made worse by the fact that my wave was the last to start, so out of almost 500 people, fewer than half a dozen left the water before me. It was a 600m open water swim, and it took 16 min. I have been doing twice that distance (sometimes more) in a local lake once a week for the last couple months and even went to the practice swim offered by the triathlon the night before the race. On a typical open water swim it takes about 5-10 minutes for me to settle in, but in the practice, I found my stroke quickly.

I could not settle into a rhythm and could not regulate my breathing. Every time I bumped in to someone, it threw me. I tried swimming wide, but the swimmers in front of me were zig-zagging so much that I would run into them. I am not fast enough to start near the front. Even hanging near the back, someone swam over me, which really messed with me. I got frustrated, and eventually embarassed because I was swimming so badly. Normally, when I swim, if I need to normalize my breathing I just roll onto my back for a few strokes, then roll back over, but that didn't work. I was relieved to get on the bike (my strongest leg) so I could settle in and calm down.

The water was warm and the race was not wetsuit legal, which was fine because I didn't have one. I even did a practice swim in my trishorts and sports bra so I could make sure I was comfortable in the clothes that I would wear during the race.

Previously, I unsuccessfully tried to find a swim coach, but I am going to try again. In the meantime (the next race is in less than three weeks), I desperately need tips for relaxing into a rhythm during the swim and keeping my breathing stable. Help!

2013-07-29 1:24 PM
in reply to: happyscientist

User image

Subject: RE: first triathlon and a horrible swim
Is there a local triathlon club you could join? The local one here practices swim starts to help people adjust to swimming in packs. Also, do you try and make yourself uncomfortable in the pool to simulate having to hold your breath one stroke longer than you anticipated, or speeding up and slowing down to get used to changing your rhythm to avoid others, might be worth a shot?
2013-07-29 2:07 PM

User image

Veteran
Waukegan, IL
I say it wasn't a terrible swim. You made it through, right? Successful in my book. I had the same thing happen to me in my first tri...and my second...and third...

As far as getting used to swimming in OWS in race conditions, the best practice is racing. Now you know what it's like to run into someone while swimming and how it feels in a race environment. That's out of the way...now you can start coming up with a strategy to cope with it. Like just continuing with your swim. I like to bob around in the water for a bit before races. Sometimes, even in warm water, I have to get my breathing in line before starting. I'll do some bobs and focus on getting breath out.

2013-07-29 2:12 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Bobbing up and down a few times might help. I hadn't thought of that. I will try it at this week's OWS practice. I swim with a small local club, but people are there for practice and the safety of having other swimmers in the middle of the lake more than advice. It was surprisingly frustrating. I didn't expect to be fast, but I thought I would at least be steady. Some nights I swim more than a mile, so it isn't like I haven't been training.

I can't change the initial post, but it should read that only about half a dozen people exited the water after me, not before.

Edited by happyscientist 2013-07-29 2:14 PM
2013-07-29 2:19 PM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

16 minutes for 600M?  Terrible swim?? HA!!!!  That's what...sub 2:30/100y?  That isn't bad for the first one.  Mine was like 3:02 or something (I think I actually swam in circles, and my wife was about to come out and get me I took so long).

Just think of all the people you get to pass on the bike and run!

In all seriousness, that isn't a bad first swim.  You finished it, right?  It'll get better, and faster, with time in the water.

2013-07-29 2:27 PM

User image

Pearland,Tx
hi there

i m learning alot from your post. May i know a few things
ok so you said your swim is your weakest how did the biking go? and running?

ok so your one of the last out of the water how did you do overall?

let me know man.

And congrats you finished it which matters the most.
Cheers!!!

Edited by strykergt 2013-07-29 2:35 PM

2013-07-29 2:38 PM
in reply to: strykergt

User image

Originally posted by strykergt

hi there

ok so your one of the last out of the water how did ypu do overall?

let me know man.

Cheers!!!

I did well on the rest of the race. I love to ride my bike, and passed a lot of people. I passed people who started two or even three swim waves ahead of me. My time was 39:24 for 20K. The run was a couple minutes slower than I wanted (28:36 for 5k), but I have been babying an Achilles tendon and didn't want to risk retearing it. After I have confidence that it is fully healed, a 5k under 26 minutes will be doable. I practiced transitions and did bricks that were longer than the race, so I had confidence in them. Between T1 and T2, I took 3:19, so I don't think that was bad. I ended up 219/478 overall (both genders) and 8/23 for my AG (40+ female). Total time was 1:26:32. The swim was really the only thing that held me back from having a strong first race.
2013-07-29 2:54 PM

User image

Expert
Boise, Idaho

Congrats, TRIATHLETE!

Sounds, to me, like you had a pretty good first swim.  By now, you're already back in the pool working on the things that need attention...BUT...when your next race comes around, you'll be a veteran; waaay less nervous.  That will make your next swim/race that much better.  Good Luck!

2013-07-29 2:59 PM

User image

Champion
Sarasota, FL

First, congratulations on your first triathlon!

I think you have discovered that your first race is a huge learning experience.

Your experience with your swim is very normal for a lot of folks.  OWS in a pack is definitely a unique challenge, one that solo training really doesn't prepare you for.

When I first started, my big problem was going out too fast and then spiking my HR and breathing.  Less than halfway into the race I'd have to resort to breaststroke, backstroke, sidestroke, dog paddling or whatever to survive.  Not to mention the challenge of sighting and attempting to swim in a straight line.  Swimming in the pack wasn't a problem since I was usually way behind it; my biggest issue was getting run over by swimmers starting in the waves behind me.   I thought I was a good swimmer, but the Gulf of Mexico quickly taught me otherwise.  Fortunately I was never DFL out of the water, but was pretty close a few times.

What turned things around for me was just to trust my training, start slow, stay out of the pack and to just think about swimming smoothly from point A to point B, forgetting that I was in a race.  After a couple of races it just kind of clicked and my confidence soared.

Again, congratulations and good luck.

Mark

2013-07-29 3:12 PM

User image

Veteran
Houston, Texas

If you know it takes you 5-10 minutes to settle in during an OWS, you should try to get at least 5-10 minutes of warming up out of the way before the race starts.  Some races won't allow you in the water before the race, but if you are racing one where a warm-up is possible, I'd encourage you to get in and get the nerves all worked out. 

It's never particularly pleasant to run into others swimming or have people try to crawl up over your back, but with some more time in the water (and as someone else mentioned, the best way to get used to this is to race more), it'll become less of a big deal. 

Sounds like you had a great time on the bike and run.  If you have issues in the swim again, just remind yourself about how much fun you'll have passing others when it comes to those two legs

2013-07-29 3:14 PM

User image

Champion
Philly 'burbs
Open water races bring their own set of issues that are hard to train for; body contact, adrenaline, anxiety, even open water panic. Experience helps tremendously, but so does being well prepared. I find it very beneficial to get my HR up before the swim start, then let it settle a bit. Even if I can't get in the water, I'll do some sprints or jumping jacks or something to get the HR elevated.
What was your warm up? Doing an open water swim without a good warm up is like climbing a few flights of stairs first thing in the morning. Most of us are in pretty good shape but we've all probably experienced getting winded on a flight of stairs, especially after being idle for a while (like driving an hour to work then walking up 3 flights). That's because we don't warm up before climbing the stairs. Add in the stress and anxiety and excitement of a race, throw in some Clydes banging into you and it's not unusual to have trouble getting your breathing under control. Swim lots, get a good pre-race warm up, and see if you can train with this group:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r3S0wu4Zbfk

Edited by mrbbrad 2013-07-29 3:17 PM

2013-07-29 3:16 PM

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA
Congrats on your first tri!

Your experience is not particularly unusual. In my first tri (with a wetsuit), I was basically hyperventilating for the first half of the swim before I was able to calm myself down and get through the second half a bit more relaxed. But my sister's panic in that same race was at another level and she rolled onto her back, did some breast and back stroke, and barely made it through before doing fine on the bike and run--similar to you. Suffice it to say, despite being very nervous after that experience, her next race went much better. And within a few years, she was qualifying for Kona. So you may have to learn your own 'tricks' on how to relax (more practice and some coaching may very well help you) but your first-time experience is actually fairly 'normal'. So don't allow it to freak you out further.
2013-07-29 3:20 PM

User image

Pearland,Tx
Originally posted by happyscientist

Originally posted by strykergt

hi there

ok so your one of the last out of the water how did ypu do overall?

let me know man.

Cheers!!!

I did well on the rest of the race. I love to ride my bike, and passed a lot of people. I passed people who started two or even three swim waves ahead of me. My time was 39:24 for 20K. The run was a couple minutes slower than I wanted (28:36 for 5k), but I have been babying an Achilles tendon and didn't want to risk retearing it. After I have confidence that it is fully healed, a 5k under 26 minutes will be doable. I practiced transitions and did bricks that were longer than the race, so I had confidence in them. Between T1 and T2, I took 3:19, so I don't think that was bad. I ended up 219/478 overall (both genders) and 8/23 for my AG (40+ female). Total time was 1:26:32. The swim was really the only thing that held me back from having a strong first race.

you are ok man

19+mph on the bike
9 min/mi on the run
above are great stats

your swim is not bad too just happens there are more fast swimmers in your event.

im sure all those that ran over you on water bit dust when your 19mph engine went past by them and they're running with spaghetti legs and cant kep up with you. The end justifies the means , the true mileage is on dry land.

Edited by strykergt 2013-07-29 3:21 PM
2013-07-29 3:23 PM
in reply to: mrbbrad

User image

We weren't allowed to do a real warmup in the water. I was concerned about that, so I jogged up and down the shore while the other waves were starting to get my heart pumping. Then we swam about 50m to the starting line and treaded water while waiting to start (surprising, but I was happy for the chance to swim). I think I was too wound up. I was out of whack before the horn even blew. I really don't know what went wrong, but there just seemed to be a chain of frustrating events. Looking at my times for the bike and run and even transitions, I know I should be happy with my overall peformance, but I was really bothered by how badly I swam.
2013-07-29 3:32 PM

User image

Regular
Wisconsin
Congratulations Triathlete!
My first swim was worse. 18 minutes for 440 yards. 1 person with a slower time.

I'm shocked when people say they WEREN"T panicky for the swim on their first race.

You did fine. Confidence and speed come with experience (especially confidence)

Edited by Swimbikeron 2013-07-29 3:35 PM
2013-07-29 3:53 PM
in reply to: Swimbikeron

User image

You guys really are helping me feel better.

2013-07-29 4:08 PM

User image

Pro

Originally posted by happyscientist We weren't allowed to do a real warmup in the water. I was concerned about that, so I jogged up and down the shore while the other waves were starting to get my heart pumping. Then we swam about 50m to the starting line and treaded water while waiting to start (surprising, but I was happy for the chance to swim)....

I was going to suggest a few hundred yards of warmup- but I guess you already knew that.  bummer that it wasn't allowed.  it would have made a difference

2013-07-31 4:54 PM
in reply to: morey000

I did my first sprint 300m pool swim a couple of weeks ago - nearly pulled out because of uncertainty of my swim. My main focus was just getting out of the water. Once on the bike everything was forgotten. i had an excellent day loved it from start to end. I now have made a vow to work on my swim over the next 6 months and see where I am. I can bike run with the best.
2013-07-31 10:47 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Penticton, BC
1:26:32 is a very good time. You sound strong (especially on the bike and run) and a 16 minute 600m swim is not a bad time at all. In an Ironman event you'd only be a few minutes behind the average middle of the pack swimmers.

You have nothing to be embarrassed about and everything to be proud of.

In my first swim I took 21:xx to swim 750m. I couldn't catch my breath and wound up using breaststroke with my head above water. The very next day I swam 2km in a good time because I wasn't hyperventilating. Two weeks later I did another Sprint and swam the same distance in under 18 minutes. It all just comes down to nerves and experience.

Now you have the experience. It may happen again but if it does you'll cope better.

How much fun did you have?
2013-07-31 11:37 PM

User image

New user
Rhode Island
When I did an OWS clinic before my first tri, I got rattled with all the bumping and contact with all the other attendees and kept half-stopping every time I made contact of any kind. I told a friend this and he and I went out alone in the ocean the next day- he is a very experienced triathlete and he wanted to get me used to contact and not letting it affect my sighting and stroke. So he told me just to pick a landmark to sight on and swim for it and he was going to harass me and for me to do my best to just keep moving in a straight line. So for the next 20 minutes or so he slapped my feet, swam in front of me, swam directly beside me making a lot of contact with my arms/hands, swam over me one way and then the other, stopped in front of me, etc. etc. By the end of it I was able to completely ignore the interference and just keep swimming. This helped me immensely. Just an idea.
2013-08-01 1:20 AM

The swim in my 1st tri was a disaster. Not only was the time slow but I was beat for the rest of the race. 2nd tri, much, much better.

Edit: to be totally honest I was really shook up after that 1st swim and questioned my desire to do a second tri period. I did and it was a vastly better experience as I knew what to expect.

Edited by Portlander 2013-08-01 1:28 AM

2013-08-01 7:47 AM
in reply to: johnmoran

User image

Originally posted by johnmoran

When I did an OWS clinic before my first tri, I got rattled with all the bumping and contact with all the other attendees and kept half-stopping every time I made contact of any kind. I told a friend this and he and I went out alone in the ocean the next day- he is a very experienced triathlete and he wanted to get me used to contact and not letting it affect my sighting and stroke. So he told me just to pick a landmark to sight on and swim for it and he was going to harass me and for me to do my best to just keep moving in a straight line. So for the next 20 minutes or so he slapped my feet, swam in front of me, swam directly beside me making a lot of contact with my arms/hands, swam over me one way and then the other, stopped in front of me, etc. etc. By the end of it I was able to completely ignore the interference and just keep swimming. This helped me immensely. Just an idea.

If I can find someone to do that with me, I will try it. I bet it would help tremendously. I have done something similar on the bike. Last year, I was talked into bike racing (not really my thing), and the guys ran close-riding drills with me where we rode knuckle to knuckle, they leaned against me, and tried to run me off the road. I am sure to an observer, a group of men surrounding a woman on a bike and trying to run her off the road could not have looked good, but it really did help. I didn't end up needing those skills in a race, but when people have wrecked next to me or when a dog slammed into my wheel, I wasn't phased and kept the bike upright.
2013-08-01 8:14 AM
in reply to: #4815852

User image

Pro
, New Hampshire
For the first tri, you did great! With a bike and run like that, and only a few minor details in the swim, you will do great next races and even more so next season!!!

I'm truly a slow swimmer... You would beat me by a few minutes. The good news about being slow is that you have problem finding your bike in transition. :-)
Honestly, if you feel uncomfortable (and I do) stay back and on the outside. That will be the spot with the least chaos. It's very different in open water swim with people all around you, but I'm sure you'll get used to it.
2013-08-01 8:16 AM

Iron Donkey
, Wisconsin
More practice with an experienced swimmer helps and more time swimming may help build confidence.

On the positive side, you did finish the swim and not DFL. But even if you were DFL, you still were not a DNS. Great feeling to know that.
2013-08-01 8:18 AM

User image

Expert
Floriduh
I will echo the fact that your swim was not that bad. With that said, my first OWS was a huge learning experience. I am a lifetime swimmer, started as a kid, swam competitively in high school and did a year of college. Now (age 54) I am training at ~1:20/100 and in most OWS seem to be around 1:15-1:25/100 depending on conditions. So, for my AG, I am pretty fast but i assure you it did not start out that way. Bet you were not prepared for the scrum at the start, having people grabing at your feet, smacking you in the face, etc. This is a knowledge is power issue and will be less likely to throw you off your game in your next race. As far as your breathing this is probably partially an adrenaline issue, partly a training issue. The adrenaline at the start is absolutely normal and makes you increase your stroke rate at the beginning usually at the expense of proper technique. This is something you have to overcome and will come with experience. The training aspect is being able to shift your effort down after the start to find your groove. This takes time in the water and a real strong knowledge of your stroke and capability in the water. This is pretty advanced, I'd worry about managing your adrenaline and get your breathing even.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » first triathlon and a horrible swim Rss Feed  

of 2

RELATED POSTS

First Wetsuit, First Swim!?

Started by herkimer81
Views: 913 Posts: 7

2013-02-24 4:48 PM jdl2012

First Swim in a Wetsuit - First Swimming Lesson

Started by lvthgme
Views: 1549 Posts: 7

2010-06-07 1:43 PM lvthgme

Video of me swimming. Yes, I am horrible

Started by rxman
Views: 1528 Posts: 15

2010-01-28 5:16 AM swimmer04

First Tri - First Swim

Started by workoutbunny
Views: 1299 Posts: 24

2005-08-26 11:22 PM dcapalbo

First tri, swim was horrible...help Pages: 1 2

Started by teechur
Views: 1964 Posts: 26

2004-07-13 8:46 PM jules
RELATED ARTICLES
date : September 27, 2012
author : davey m
comments : 3
Deciding on an Ironman as my first venture into triathlon was greeted with incredulity and astonishment combined with a hint of, "well, you're full of yourself aren't you?" and, "a bit ambitious?"

date : July 18, 2012
author : Khorwohock
comments : 14
I have always wanted to do a triathlon to keep myself fit, and now I had my chance.
date : October 4, 2011
author : MikeyT1298
comments : 6
First time triathlete conquers swim struggle and finishes at the front of the pack

date : August 8, 2011
author : Gina60
comments : 16
I can't run a seven-minute mile anymore, but that doesn't take away from the joy of finishing
date : April 27, 2011
author : brumby11
comments : 5
An impending baby inspires a father to become fit, along the way discovering world of triathlon

date : May 19, 2010
author : Amy Kuitse
comments : 3
If you are a beginner triathlete training for your first triathlon, this article will show you three key swim workouts that you can use for your triathlon swim training.
date : October 9, 2007
author : She-Ra
comments : 12
I never imagined that 350 yards broken down into 7 REALLY long lanes would be so big! I gasped out loud and told Grady that maybe I had underestimated the swim.

date : February 7, 2007
author : Angie M
comments : 4
In the past 18 months, I have delivered two babies, had meningitis, broken my pelvis, had two surgeries, worked full time, AND completed my first triathlon!