General Discussion Race Reports! » Commit to be Fit Giant Eagle Triathlon - Sprint Course Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Commit to be Fit Giant Eagle Triathlon - Sprint Course - Triathlon

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Columbus, Ohio
United States
HFP Racing
Total Time = 2h 18m 42s
Overall Rank = 232/273
Age Group = Athena
Age Group Rank = 5/8
Pre-race routine:

Was running a little later than planned. Didn't need to ride the shuttle (planned to leave my car at Alum Creek and go back later to get it) so I think I felt like I had more time than I really did. Woke up at 5 and left my house by 5:45. Got to Alum Creek at 6:10. My wave didn't start until 7:30, but I felt rushed trying to get my transition area set up before they started the Olympic race. Got to my rack and found that someone had put their bike the wrong way and messed up the alternating bike rotation, so I had no choice but to put my bike the same direction as the one next to me which created a little bit of a space issue. Set out my bike shoes, helmet, and sunglasses and made sure everything else I wasn't using (extra goggles, tshirt, etc) was in my bag. By the time I got to the timing chip pickup and body marking the pro Olympic race was underway. Once I got that finished I went to watch the Olympic wave starts.
Event warmup:

none - just dipped my legs in the water, which was warmer than the air! Was nervous about being cold if I got all the way in and then got out to wait for the start, as I don't have a wetsuit. Did some light stretching while watching the Olympic start.
Swim
  • 14m 57s
  • 750 meters
  • 01m 59s / 100 meters
Comments:

Should have started near the front of my group. I'm used to starting in the back of running races since I'm a terrible runner, and sort of forget that I should start closer to the front when swimming in tris. I got caught right in the middle of a pack going slower than was comfortable for me but I couldn't get around them until several meters past the first buoy turn. Once I was free from the group I got into a great rhythm. I didn't push it too hard because I was afraid of burning out on the bike and run. On the way back to the finish I found myself pretty far to the right and had to swim the last part on a diagonal to finish between the buoys. Overall felt great though, and was really excited to see the results and find out I was 1st in the swim for Athenas!
What would you do differently?:

Start closer to the front so I don't end up in a pack. I could have pushed it harder and gone faster - the swim is my only chance to get ahead, I'm going to get passed in the bike and run no matter what so I need everything I can get in the swim! Also pay better attention to sighting on the way back.
Transition 1
  • 03m 15s
Comments:

Took my cap and goggles off while exiting the water and jogged to transition. My bike was really far back in the transition area so felt like it took forever to get there. Took longer than it should have to get my bike shoes on - couldn't balance very well when trying to put them on. Took more time than I would have in a regular tri because of point to point - I double checked that everything was in my Roll bag and the bag was tied. Grabbed my bike and jogged to transition exit.

Could have run faster to my bike spot, get better at putting shoes on. Not sure I'd do anything different with my stuff - due to the nature of the point to point I wanted to make sure I wasn't leaving anything behind, so felt like I needed to check and tie my bag. That time wouldn't be a factor in a regular tri.
Bike
  • 1h 13m 38s
  • 30 kms
  • 24.58 km/hr
Comments:

I was pretty sure the bike wasn't going to be my best. I've ridden my bike a grand total of once this season - on the friday before the race. My lack of riding was a combination of several things - I'm a really nervous rider so I have a hard time motivating myself to go, combined with the bad weather we've had this summer and the fact that I've really been concentrating on the run (see below) means that I just never got out even when I intended to. I did the race last year so knew the course and knew I could do it, even if it wasn't going to be my best, so figured I'd just do my best. It was a surprisingly pleasant ride. There seemed to be a headwind for much of it, and I got passed quite a bit as usual, but I also passed several people throughout the race which is a first for me. For the first half of the course I got stuck behind 2 women riding side by side and chatting with each other that were nearly impossible to pass because they were taking up the whole lane. Quite a few people crossed the yellow line to pass them, but I stuck behind them for awhile (like I said I'm a nervous rider, and don't feel completely comfortable with my bike handling skills so am afraid to do anything that might require quick movements or riding really close to someone). And then at one point they were joined by a man, so there were 3 of them riding side by side!! Finally, right before we turned onto Morse I decided I had enough and went for it and passed them. I didn't take note of their numbers but I wish I had - I hope they got penalized because it was really annoying and dangerous.

I passed an ambulance on Indianola, not far from Morse, as they were loading a biker into it. She was on a stretcher in a neck brace so I assume she crashed. Anyone know anything about what happened and if she is okay?

I live in Clintonville and my street crosses Indianola so my husband and dog were on the corner of our street to cheer me on which was a great pick-me-up! Once I was passed the group riders above it was a smooth ride all the way to transition, and I was pleased that I beat my bike time from last year by 2 minutes.

I need to get more comfortable on my bike, improve my bike handling skills, and get better at using my gears. Right now I am basically afraid of biking so mostly avoid it, and when I do bike I spend the whole time hoping I don't crash or get hit by a car. I need to get over it and get better at it.
Transition 2
  • 03m 15s
Comments:

I'm not really sure why this took so long - it didn't feel like 3:15. Racked my bike, switched my shoes, put on my run belt, took my Garmin off my bike and put it on my wrist (which was pointless as I hit the wrong buttons several times so it didn't even give me useful data).

go faster :-). Could probably just leave the Garmin behind.
Run
  • 43m 39s
  • 5 kms
  • 08m 44s  min/km
Comments:

Great run course. I've run this course in quite a few local races and I like running somewhere that I am familiar with and know about how far I am. Running is my weakest sport by far. I've really been concentrating on running this year; joined MIT in the winter and have continued through the summer. I'm still not good though - I run with the 13 min/mile group at MIT and still fall behind them quite often on our runs. My fastest standalone 5k is 37:55, so to be honest I'm pretty happy with a 43:39. I ran the whole thing and didn't walk, which was my major goal. Legs were pretty tight at the beginning but loosened up by the end.

I did the best I could, I'm just not a strong runner. I've done my training, I'm just slow. I will keep working at running and keep trying to get better!
Post race
Warm down:

a little stretching, then took a long nap at home.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Lack of bike training and being a slow runner.

Event comments:

I really like this course and it's a fun race. I look forward to doing it again next year!

Last updated: 2013-07-30 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:14:57 | 750 meters | 01m 59s / 100meters
Age Group: 1/8
Overall: 99/273
Performance: Good
Suit:
Course:
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 03:15
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:13:38 | 30 kms | 24.58 km/hr
Age Group: 3/8
Overall: 226/273
Wind:
Course:
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 03:15
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:43:39 | 05 kms | 08m 44s  min/km
Age Group: 0/8
Overall: 0/273
Course:
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2013-07-30 1:56 AM

User image

Regular
Columbus
Subject: Commit to be Fit Giant Eagle Triathlon - Sprint Course

2013-07-30 8:20 AM
in reply to: #4816524

User image

Master
Loveland, Ohio
Subject: RE: Commit to be Fit Giant Eagle Triathlon - Sprint Course
Congrats on your race!
2013-07-30 5:15 PM
in reply to: #4816524

User image

Elite
Cleveland
Subject: RE: Commit to be Fit Giant Eagle Triathlon - Sprint Course

Congrats!!!

It was a beautiful day to race, and a beautiful course to do it on

I think that it was, hands down, the best finish chute I've ever run down. 

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Commit to be Fit Giant Eagle Triathlon - Sprint Course Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Commit to be Fit Giant Eagle Triathlon - Olympic Course

Started by avtiger
Views: 823 Posts: 1

2013-07-29 7:23 PM avtiger

Commit to be Fit Giant Eagle Triathlon - Olympic Course

Started by cgregg
Views: 968 Posts: 1

2013-07-29 1:35 PM cgregg

Commit to be Fit Giant Eagle Women’s Only Triathlon

Started by tnickerson
Views: 1957 Posts: 4

2013-07-30 8:29 AM Lora109

Giant Eagle Triathlon - Sprint Course

Started by sharvimj
Views: 888 Posts: 1

2011-08-09 11:34 AM sharvimj

Giant Eagle Triathlon - Sprint Course

Started by RobFTL
Views: 927 Posts: 1

2011-08-01 11:44 AM RobFTL
RELATED ARTICLES
date : May 11, 2009
author : FitWerx
comments : 0
Motion capture technology with 2D and 3D analysis offers some powerful benefits compared to just a standard bike fit.

date : May 5, 2008
author : TriPainter
comments : 1
I went into the pool area (as this was a pool swim) and got body marked. That's when it hit me that I was there to race - this was not a clinic.
date : April 14, 2008
author : FitWerx
The bike fitters at Fit Werx talk about all the components of a triathlon bike fit and how it relates to aerodynamics and the individual.

date : February 5, 2008
author : Team BT
Complete course preview of the North East triathlon on 8/17/2008 featuring a Sprint and a Olympic distance race. Mark your calendars!
date : January 1, 2008
Complete course preview of the Philadelphia Women's Only Triathlon in Pennsylvania featuring a Sprint and a Duathlon race. Mark your calendars!

date : December 3, 2007
Complete course preview of the New Jersey State triathlon featuring a Sprint and a Olympic distance race. Mark your calendars!
date : November 22, 2007
Complete course preview of the Black Bear triathlon in Pennsylvania featuring a Sprint and a 1/2 Ironman distance race. Mark your calendars!

date : October 4, 2007
author : AdamA
comments : 4
I was passing others who were saying, "Good job, 587" (that was my race number). People were cheering me on. These were the nicest people I have ever been around!