General Discussion Race Reports! » Music City Triathlon - Sprint Course Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Music City Triathlon - Sprint Course - Triathlon

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Nashville, Tennessee
United States
Team Magic, Inc.
75F / 24C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 22m 20s
Overall Rank = 130/397
Age Group = 50-54
Age Group Rank = 8/25
Pre-race routine:

Got up early...didn't eat much...nervous stomach. I was hoping to get there early enough for a warm up swim but they didn't allow any pre-swims.
Event warmup:

I did some light jogging to warm up the legs and rode the bike around the parking lot to make sure everything was working.
Swim
  • 09m 3s
  • 400 yards
  • 02m 16s / 100 yards
Comments:

I had a great swim going but I somehow missed sighting the 3rd buoy (someone later said it had deflated...maybe, maybe not...I just didn't see it). A kayaker had to redirect me...probably lost 90 seconds from all the additional swimming.
What would you do differently?:

Pay better attention to where the buoys are set. Probably need to get some tinted goggles too.
Transition 1
  • 03m 27s
Comments:

I thought I did a decent job of getting through T1 but I was 11th in my age group.

move faster
Bike
  • 42m 16s
  • 13.07 miles
  • 18.37 mile/hr
Comments:

Rode comfortably hard...didn't try to push it since I knew I had a hilly run to get through. A slight headwind and slight uphill going out but it wasn't too bad. A tt bike or aerobars would have helped.

nothing other than getting more aero equipment.
Transition 2
  • 01m 21s
Comments:

Decent T2...6th in my age group.

Learn to ride in with feet on top of shoes.
Run
  • 26m 15s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 08m 30s  min/mile
Comments:

I thought my legs were starting to cramp when I took off out of T2 but they settled down. Short stepped it up the pedestrian bridge incline then settled into a nice rhythm for the rest of the run. I picked up the pace after cresting the final hill...pushed it pretty hard to the finish.

Calf injury around Memorial Day had me sidelined for a while so I wasn't real confident about the run...I did about what I thought I would do given the amount of running I've done since the injury. Just need to get run volume back up again and the speed will come.
Post race
Warm down:

I didn't rinse the anti-fog solution out of my goggles very well before the swim and my right eye was badly irritated from it. Walked around, got something to eat and checked in with my friends that were participating (all with just one eye open). I got out of there after transition opened up since my eye was ruining an otherwise pleasant race day.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Poor sighting on the swim. Faster transition execution. Recent calf injury hampering run fitness.

Event comments:

Team Magic does a good job running events.

Last updated: 2013-07-30 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:09:03 | 400 yards | 02m 16s / 100yards
Age Group: 9/25
Overall: 222/397
Performance: Bad
Suit: no
Course: Rectangle. Swim upstream to buoy, cross the river to another buoy, downstream to the 3rd buoy then back across.
Start type: Run Plus: Time Trial
Water temp: 73F / 23C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Bad
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Average Navigation: Bad
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 03:27
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:42:16 | 13.07 miles | 18.37 mile/hr
Age Group: 7/25
Overall: 92/397
Performance: Good
Wind: Some
Course: An out an back on Ellington Parkway - gradual uphill on the outbound section...it was closed to traffic (nice!).
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:21
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:26:15 | 03.11 miles | 08m 30s  min/mile
Age Group: 10/25
Overall: 221/397
Performance: Average
Course: Run over the Cumberland River on the pedestrian bridge (steep!) into downtown Nashville...after circling a block to the south, head up 1st avenue, back down 2nd avenue, up 3rd avenue before crossing back over the river on the Woodland Street bridge. Besides the pedestrian bridge, 1st and 3rd avenues have some decent ascents. Woodland Street bridge to the finish is downhill to flat...nice!
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2013-07-30 10:51 AM

User image

Franklin, TN
Subject: Music City Triathlon - Sprint Course
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Music City Triathlon - Sprint Course Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Music City Triathlon - Short Course

Started by gremlin327
Views: 892 Posts: 1

2012-07-23 10:06 AM gremlin327

Music City Triathlon Short Course

Started by pfolker
Views: 978 Posts: 1

2009-09-08 7:04 PM pfolker

Started by dbrawders
Views: 1219 Posts: 1

2009-07-28 11:51 PM dbrawders

Started by roch1009
Views: 1957 Posts: 7

2009-08-02 3:39 PM tnbasschaser

Started by orange223
Views: 1480 Posts: 3

2009-07-29 9:03 AM Timmeh!
RELATED ARTICLES
date : September 8, 2008
author : pjwalzphd
comments : 2
When I told my husband that I planned to work toward completing a sprint triathlon, he smiled and was supportive, but a bit disbelieving.

date : February 7, 2008
author : Tri Swim Coach
comments : 4
Is it good to listen to music while lap swimming? Are there any devices to help you keep track of your laps?
date : February 5, 2008
author : Team BT
comments : 0
Complete course preview of the North East triathlon on 8/17/2008 featuring a Sprint and a Olympic distance race. Mark your calendars!

date : January 1, 2008
Complete course preview of the Philadelphia Women's Only Triathlon in Pennsylvania featuring a Sprint and a Duathlon race. Mark your calendars!
date : December 3, 2007
comments : 1
Complete course preview of the New Jersey State triathlon featuring a Sprint and a Olympic distance race. Mark your calendars!

date : November 22, 2007
comments : 1
Complete course preview of the Black Bear triathlon in Pennsylvania featuring a Sprint and a 1/2 Ironman distance race. Mark your calendars!
date : October 4, 2007
author : AdamA
comments : 4
I was passing others who were saying, "Good job, 587" (that was my race number). People were cheering me on. These were the nicest people I have ever been around!

date : September 1, 2004
author : infosteward
Experts agree, doing a “mock,” triathlon on the course you’re racing can aid you in your training; performance and most of all quell some nervous energy.