General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman Lake Placid 2014 Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 7

2013-11-25 10:39 PM
in reply to: JMoney

User image

Expert
Subject: RE: Ironman Lake Placid 2014
Funny, I just read my post in your reply and BT deleted pi$$ing in pi$$ing me off.

Yeah, I started inhaled steroids today. Hoping to go for a short easy run tomorrow, but not too worried.

2013-11-26 10:27 AM
in reply to: leftrunner

User image

Veteran
, New York
Rest up now and get yourself better instead of worrying about training! Pushing through something in your lungs only makes it worse. Plus we're far enough out from the race that it really won't make a difference if you miss a few workouts at this point. If I counted correctly, 36 weeks until the race!

In terms of training, last year I did the competitive Fink plan and loved it. I like it so much that I was planning on doing it again this year but have since acquired a coach. Swimming has been my weakness and by doing a big swim focus and getting my stroke analyzed I already took off 50secs from my 800TT in 3 weeks. Maybe eventually my swim won't hold me back as much...

Anyone else here doing the Syracuse/LP combo?
2013-11-27 4:45 AM
in reply to: #4817263

New user

Central NY
Hey all, thought I would check in. I am in for IMLP and Syracuse. This will be my first of both distances. Thus far I have just been building base miles on the trainer and mill, will start to organize in January, not quite sure what plan I will use yet.
2013-11-27 7:01 PM
in reply to: Najo

User image

Extreme Veteran
Rochester, NY
Originally posted by Najo

Hey all, thought I would check in. I am in for IMLP and Syracuse. This will be my first of both distances. Thus far I have just been building base miles on the trainer and mill, will start to organize in January, not quite sure what plan I will use yet.

I did the same thing for my first IMLP. This year I'm going to do a camp instead of Syracuse. If you are close to Syracuse and can ride the course before the race I think it's really good training or LP.
2013-12-06 7:14 AM

User image

Veteran
Maine
Originally posted by JMoney

Originally posted by Najo

I did the same thing for my first IMLP. This year I'm going to do a camp instead of Syracuse. If you are close to Syracuse and can ride the course before the race I think it's really good training or LP.

I got out to ride the course before doing the White Mountain Tri this past year and it made a huge difference not having any big surprises on the course during the race. I had planned on doing that while volunteering at LP this past summer but wasn't able to work it out so hopefully I'll be heading to LP in May to ride the course and probably do a loop of the run as well.
2013-12-30 9:06 AM
in reply to: MForger18

User image

Extreme Veteran
Rochester, NY
And so it begins.... Happy training to all the Finksters today (Even though today is a rest day ) Come June Mondays will be your favorite day of the week.

2014-01-02 5:37 AM

User image

East Syracuse, New York
How many of you guys started training on the 1st???
How many of you got cool things for christmas to help in training??
I bought myself $150 of protein, creatine, and pre work out stuff for christmas...I think the protein might help with muscle break down after long runs...the other stuff im not sure. Even if its just gives a little bit of a psychological lift and makes me think I can train harder I guess its worth it.
2014-01-02 9:09 AM
in reply to: TheCuse

User image

Extreme Veteran
Rochester, NY
Originally posted by TheCuse

I bought myself $150 of protein, creatine, and pre work out stuff for christmas...I think the protein might help with muscle break down after long runs...the other stuff im not sure. Even if its just gives a little bit of a psychological lift and makes me think I can train harder I guess its worth it.

I started on the 30th, I didn't get too much stuff except for some compression shirts and a couple of the sufferfest videos. I'm saving my pennies for the Garmin 910xt so hopefully I'll have that soon. I'm also thinking about the getting some supplements as well. I feel the same way about if they work or not but actually help with the psychological lift.
2014-01-02 9:56 AM

User image

Veteran
Maine

Putting in a floor the last two days. Does that count as training?

My new tri training toy was a power meter. I installed that over the weekend and did a couple of rides comparing it to the VP I was using on trainer road.
2014-01-02 10:48 AM
in reply to: cdkayak

User image

Extreme Veteran
Rochester, NY
Originally posted by cdkayak

Putting in a floor the last two days. Does that count as training?

My new tri training toy was a power meter. I installed that over the weekend and did a couple of rides comparing it to the VP I was using on trainer road.

What did you think of trainer roads? I was thinking about getting a setup to be able to do the VP since I don't think I'll be getting the power meter in time. I was curious as to what kinds of numbers I'm actually putting out.
2014-01-02 11:28 AM

User image

Veteran
Maine

What did you think of trainer roads? I was thinking about getting a setup to be able to do the VP since I don't think I'll be getting the power meter in time. I was curious as to what kinds of numbers I'm actually putting out.

I like Trainer Road, I'll still be using it but inputting the actual power instead of virtual. It's been a good tool to keep me honest on effort levels when on the trainer. My actual power was only about 10 watts lower than the VP using TR and a Kurt trainer. I've also just started looking at Golden Cheetah because of the mentor group I joined; it has a lot of the same functionality of TR & it's free.

2014-01-09 9:36 AM

User image

Veteran
, New York
I got a new bike seat and some new goggles for christmas...it's amazing how much faster long trainer rides seem to go by when you're not uncomfortable on the saddle anymore. Also, infinit nocturne, which is amazing if you have trouble sleeping after long training days.

TheCuse-I'd be a bit wary about the creatine unless you're really trying to gain weight...typically it's used more often for sprinters or lifters.
2014-01-13 8:03 PM
in reply to: elrasc06

User image

East Syracuse, New York
Originally posted by elrasc06

I got a new bike seat and some new goggles for christmas...it's amazing how much faster long trainer rides seem to go by when you're not uncomfortable on the saddle anymore. Also, infinit nocturne, which is amazing if you have trouble sleeping after long training days.

TheCuse-I'd be a bit wary about the creatine unless you're really trying to gain weight...typically it's used more often for sprinters or lifters.

Yeah I really dont know much about it to be honest with you.I read an article about it helping with ATP production...most of those articles go right over my head by the 3rd sentence lol. Last year I drank a water bottle with a scoop before the swim, started the bike with a bottle, had 1 in special needs...and did the same on the run. I trained with it too...I took 73 min off the previous years time but it probably had more to do with having another year of training under my belt and it was 15deg cooler
2014-01-16 1:39 AM

User image

Expert
So, any experienced IM athletes, or newbies in the know. Is a 70.3 recommended during the training for an IM. I have done 2 in 2011 and 2012. Should I plan on one for a nutrition and transition run-through and super brick? The one I have in mind is 7 weeks before IMLP.
2014-01-16 5:26 AM

User image

Master
Bronze member

YES!

At a minimum a 70.3 run thru about 6-8 weeks before is perfect..an Oly a month before that is good too.

2014-01-16 5:33 AM

User image

East Syracuse, New York
A lot of plans recommend doing one. For someone that has never done a half before, I think it would be a big help. You've done a couple so I think it comes down to whether you enjoy doing races...id rather get up, read the paper, drink some coffee and go do a long training day...but thats just me

2014-01-16 8:17 AM

User image

Veteran
, New York
I think the benefits of a 70.3 beforehand really depend on what you want to get out of the full IM. If it will ease your nerves and you like racing then it's worth it to do a 70.3 before it. If you're from around the area, Syracuse is a great tune up race.

However, racing a 70.3 is completely different from racing an IM, so it doesn't really prepare you for the experience really. It turns out to be just a hard training day, which could easily be effectively replaced by getting in a long ride or other IM specific training instead. In terms of nutrition, I would be practicing that on all your longer rides/runs way before the race anyway.
2014-01-16 2:56 PM

User image

I'm in! This will be my first Ironman. My wife is registered as well
2014-01-16 3:11 PM
in reply to: cdkayak

User image

I rode the IMLP course a couple of months ago and it offers no real surprises. All hills are long and gradient doesnt really exceed 8% and most are less than that. Not a lot of flat spots on the course. The climb back up into placid runs about the last 13 miles of each lap with varying steepness but the first mile or so of that is the toughest part. If you can get up there to pre-ride I think that helps a lot mentally to know whats coming

Our second day there we ran the run course and that on the other hand has some steep climbs. Particularly the section from River Rd back up into town. When you see the ski jumps know that its gonna get hard and steep. The first hill is steep but short, flat past the horse farm then the steep run back up into town.

Hope this helps a little
2014-01-18 7:25 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Rochester, NY
Originally posted by leftrunner

So, any experienced IM athletes, or newbies in the know. Is a 70.3 recommended during the training for an IM. I have done 2 in 2011 and 2012. Should I plan on one for a nutrition and transition run-through and super brick? The one I have in mind is 7 weeks before IMLP.

When I did my first IM in 2012 I heard the same advice about the 70.3 distance. I actually did the Syracuse 70.3 as my prep race and I would say it really just eased my mind that I was doing the right training. Since I haven't swam that far before and I was fairly new I thought it really helped me in that sense. I think just the overall race day experience is pretty close in a 70.3 compared to an IM (with the exception of the changing tent). The aid stations are set up the same (at different distances). I think just the 70.3 experience alone was helpful in helping me understand a full IM. By the time the race came around I was already do those distances anyways in training so the distance aspect wasn't really a concern. This year I'm going the training camp route in LP in June around the same time. I think it will really help me on places I should take it easy and places where I can open it up a little more. I don't think you can go wrong with doing a 70.3 prior or not, They both have their pros and cons. It's really depends on what you want to get out of it.
2014-01-19 8:32 AM

User image

East Syracuse, New York

When I did my first IM in 2012 I heard the same advice about the 70.3 distance. I actually did the Syracuse 70.3 as my prep race and I would say it really just eased my mind that I was doing the right training. Since I haven't swam that far before and I was fairly new I thought it really helped me in that sense. I think just the overall race day experience is pretty close in a 70.3 compared to an IM (with the exception of the changing tent). The aid stations are set up the same (at different distances). I think just the 70.3 experience alone was helpful in helping me understand a full IM. By the time the race came around I was already do those distances anyways in training so the distance aspect wasn't really a concern. This year I'm going the training camp route in LP in June around the same time. I think it will really help me on places I should take it easy and places where I can open it up a little more. I don't think you can go wrong with doing a 70.3 prior or not, They both have their pros and cons. It's really depends on what you want to get out of it.

Yeah, i think if youve never done a 70.3 or longer its a great idea to do one. If you've done one, then I think its really optional. I know for me a lot of it comes down to $$. I didnt really want to spend $250 on a half, and then spend another $250 going to placid for a weekend to ride the course etc...I really need to find a wife that will work more, so that I can screw off more
Hey JMoney I remember a lot of people talking about getting tattoos after 2012. Did you ever get one?

2014-01-20 1:10 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Rochester, NY

Yeah, i think if youve never done a 70.3 or longer its a great idea to do one. If you've done one, then I think its really optional. I know for me a lot of it comes down to $$. I didnt really want to spend $250 on a half, and then spend another $250 going to placid for a weekend to ride the course etc...I really need to find a wife that will work more, so that I can screw off more
Hey JMoney I remember a lot of people talking about getting tattoos after 2012. Did you ever get one?

I didn't get it, I was working on a design and never got it completed. I'm going to be starting it back up and will hopefully have it ready for after IMLP.
2014-01-27 12:23 PM

User image

I'm researching camps now...anyone have any recommendations? This will be my second IM but I'm making it a point to head up from Philly to ride the course at least twice.
2014-01-27 6:01 PM
in reply to: DCT76

User image

Extreme Veteran
Rochester, NY
Originally posted by DCT76

I'm researching camps now...anyone have any recommendations? This will be my second IM but I'm making it a point to head up from Philly to ride the course at least twice.

This is also my second IM, I went with the 70.3 prep race for my first attempt. This year I'm doing the training camp. I don't have any first hand knowledge of any of the camps (There seem to be a lot of them, just about every weekend in the May and June) I'm going to be doing the training camp through ETACoach. I'm pretty excited already, if it would just warm up a little.
2014-01-29 8:22 AM
in reply to: DCT76

User image

Veteran
Maine
Originally posted by DCT76

This will be my first IM so I don't have any previous knowledge to share on camps but I recently signed up for the EN training camp. I watched a couple of their videos in the past and liked what I saw.

I was planning on heading out to ride the course on my own but decided something structured would be worth while before doing my first.
New Thread
General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman Lake Placid 2014 Rss Feed  

of 7