General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman Lake Placid 2014 Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 7

2014-01-31 7:37 PM
in reply to: MForger18

User image

Extreme Veteran
Rochester, NY
Subject: RE: Ironman Lake Placid 2014
How is everybody's training going? So far things have been moving along with my training. I'm doing the Fink competitive plan but I have had to modify it to work around the kids after school activities. So I have been training 7 days a week. It seems to be ok now but I'm not sure how long I'll be able to continue with it. I'll just have to take it week by week. Here's to a good February, keep on keeping on

2014-02-04 9:03 PM
in reply to: #4905292

User image

Expert
My 26 week plan had a weird start. I was in Haiti working at a hospital the week before. I wasn't able to do anything, so on day 1 I was a bit rusty. The swimming last week was a bit rough, and I started weights and was way to sore to run 2 days later, so I delayed my 3rd run of the week. This week I was on a mini vaca with my family, so I missed out Monday and Tuesday. I have a lot of time the next 5 days, so I'm planning on getting in 3 good runs, 3 swims and a couple of decent rides on the trainer.

Hope all is well for everyone else.
2014-02-19 1:59 PM
in reply to: leftrunner

User image

Veteran
Maine
Just thought I'd give this thread a bump and see how everyone was doing.

I've been working hard on the bike and run over the last 7 weeks and getting ready for the official start of my plan in about 2 weeks. I'm on a light week at the moment, retesting on the bike and preparing for a HM this weekend.
2014-02-19 6:54 PM
in reply to: cdkayak

User image

Extreme Veteran
Rochester, NY
I'm still trucking along with the Fink plan. Though I hit an inconvenience in that my treadmill at home broke so now I'm getting myself out to the Y to get my runs in. Other then that I think the only thing I'm not liking is that my weight is still too much. So I just need to control that a little better so I'm lugging around so many extra lbs.
2014-02-21 7:45 AM
in reply to: JMoney

User image

East Syracuse, New York
Yeah its tough time of year. Weather/darkness makes it hard to get outside not to mention the time it takes to do the driveway, shovel the roof etc...sucky time of year in the north east for sure. Fear will kick in soon and you'll all be going at it double time lol.

On a side note I just signed up to volunteer...I got 1 of the speedpass slots so i dont have to sleep in line to register for 2015.
2014-02-22 8:03 AM
in reply to: TheCuse

User image

Extreme Veteran
Rochester, NY
Originally posted by TheCuse

Yeah its tough time of year. Weather/darkness makes it hard to get outside not to mention the time it takes to do the driveway, shovel the roof etc...sucky time of year in the north east for sure. Fear will kick in soon and you'll all be going at it double time lol.

On a side note I just signed up to volunteer...I got 1 of the speedpass slots so i dont have to sleep in line to register for 2015.

I used the speed pass to get into 2014 and I have to say it was nice to get through the line so quickly. I got there early but it didn't really matter the line just moved through with no problems. I think it was well worth it. You will have to let us know where you are going to be so we can look out for you.

2014-02-23 4:23 PM

User image

East Syracuse, New York
Originally posted by JMoney

Originally posted by TheCuse

I used the speed pass to get into 2014 and I have to say it was nice to get through the line so quickly. I got there early but it didn't really matter the line just moved through with no problems. I think it was well worth it. You will have to let us know where you are going to be so we can look out for you.

yeah absolutely, ill remind you guys closer to the race but I think Im the 1st run station on river rd...ill make sure i have salt pills and stuff they dont carry at aid stations
2014-02-27 6:04 AM
in reply to: TheCuse

User image

Veteran
hey!
Nice to see old friends here!
I miss placid. I think our thread lasted 100+ pages in 2012.
Hows everybodys training coming along?
Im doing challenge atlantic city this year and mont tremblant a week before. A little experiment
I want to go back to placid this year and watch.
Good luck with the training!
2014-03-04 9:45 AM
in reply to: Tdotnew2tri

User image

Veteran
Coopersburg, PA
My 20 week plan starts next Monday. I'm very excited to get under way. My running is already ahead of where it needs to be (nailed a 2 hour run this past weekend). I have a little bit of a unique situation with my training and my wife works every weekend and I work every other weekend. Going to be doing some long stuff during the week when I dont have to be into work until 12pm. Also, my entire month of May is shot for anything that is long in duration as I work every single day for the entire month, often 10+ hours per day. I can still get at least an hour of training in every day. Its just going to have to be what it will be. After May I plan to hit my training as hard as I can until IM Syracuse, which will be my dress rehearsal for LP. I plan to use that as a long training day and not really "race" that race. I cant believe we are almost 20 weeks away already!!!
2014-03-10 4:58 PM
in reply to: Live2ski

User image

East Syracuse, New York
I've used the fink plan twice and think it works fine, but was wondering if any of you had links to other plans. Im just curious what else is out there.
2014-03-17 2:18 PM
in reply to: #4944413

User image

Expert
Carmel
Last time I did IMLP I went up with a group of BTers to do an impersonal camp and course recon- Anyone interested in trying to go this year. I'm leaning towards June 12 or 13- June 15, it's the same weekend that EN has their camp.

Hotels go pretty quick but if we can get a group we can prob reserve a block of rooms in one of the hotels.

2014-03-20 8:19 AM

User image

Veteran
Maine
I'll be up there that weekend with the EN group. Decided since this is my first I could use all the help and input available.

If there is a BT group up there at the same time it would be great to meet up with all of you.
2014-03-28 9:14 PM

User image

Roch-cha-cha
I'm interested in a course recon!
2014-03-28 9:20 PM

User image

Roch-cha-cha
Originally posted by Live2ski

My 20 week plan starts next Monday. I'm very excited to get under way. My running is already ahead of where it needs to be (nailed a 2 hour run this past weekend). I have a little bit of a unique situation with my training and my wife works every weekend and I work every other weekend. Going to be doing some long stuff during the week when I dont have to be into work until 12pm. Also, my entire month of May is shot for anything that is long in duration as I work every single day for the entire month, often 10+ hours per day. I can still get at least an hour of training in every day. Its just going to have to be what it will be. After May I plan to hit my training as hard as I can until IM Syracuse, which will be my dress rehearsal for LP. I plan to use that as a long training day and not really "race" that race. I cant believe we are almost 20 weeks away already!!!

I also am doing the 20 week plan. Like you I have a weird work schedule (12 hour shifts that leave me exhausted, plus some weekends). Had a conference in Boston this week for work that kind of threw my training schedule off but nothing too serious was lost. I'm also attending a tri training camp with Team Red White and Blue down in Austin in 2 weeks...the workouts will be lighter than what I have planned for training but I think what I'll learn in general will pay huge dividends.

Now, if the weather would just cooperate so I can get some outdoor riding...supposed to snow tomorrow. March is out like a lion, it seems.
2014-04-01 11:12 AM

User image

I would be interested!! I would really like to try out the bike course.
2014-04-20 9:14 AM
in reply to: Evswimmer

User image

Veteran
Coopersburg, PA
Need to bring this back to the first page. How is everyone doing? Training is going great for me but this is where my training will be curtailed for a while now. I work 7 days a week for the entire month of May. Last weekend I did an 80 mile ride and felt fantastic. Shooting for 90 miles today and then after this Ill be lucky to get a 50 miler in before work. Memorial day Monday is the next chance for me to do a long ride and Ill shoot for that same 80 miler again. Luckily I can still do some good run and swim training in the next few weeks. This warmer weather feels great doesn't it!?

2014-04-22 7:07 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Rochester, NY
I'm still hanging in there though I'm not feeling I'm where I need to be (as compared to where I was at this time for IMLP 2012) with my training. I just keep plugging ahead. I have some racing this weekend so it will be good to see how I hold up to all of it.
2014-05-08 1:31 AM

User image

Expert
Man this is a quiet group. Hopefully it means we are all too busy training.

I jumped over to the Gale Bernhardt 13 weeks to a sub 13 hour IM plan last week. Can't believe only 80 days until the start. I am hitting all of my marks and trusting my plan.

Good luck ramping up the distance to everyone!
2014-05-09 8:32 AM
in reply to: leftrunner

User image

Extreme Veteran
Rochester, NY
Yeah it's been quiet In here for sure. Definitely the training times are going up. Though it's just nice to have some warmer weather with no snow. Keep on pushing it!!!!
2014-05-14 1:53 PM

User image

I was up in Placid last weekend for a recce of the course, the bike course is generally in decent shape (similar to last year). That said the road toward the bottom of the Cascades is a bit of mess with some fairly notable potholes and is breaking up at the edges, also there is still a fair amount of sand knocking about. Not sure if any repairs are planned before the race, but if your in Placid doing a training ride and haven't done a drive through take it easy on your first descent.
2014-05-14 3:00 PM
in reply to: fatandround

User image

Extreme Veteran
Rochester, NY
I'll be up there in June for a training camp, Can't wait to get up there. I heard the water was 47 degrees! It's starting to get up there.

2014-05-15 8:13 PM
in reply to: #4966708

User image

Expert
Carmel
I was up there mid week last week, had a few great days of riding. The roads are not great right now but they should be after a few good rains. I spoke to one of the guys at Placid Planet and he told me the roads were great and clean and they had another snow and freeze and it was like they dropped all the sand and snow that was left making the roads a mess. Next few weeks should really help though.

I'm heading back up June 12 or 13-15 to really get a big block of training.

I did not go crazy this trip since I just ran a 1/2 Mary on Sunday and then headed up Wed on tires legs. Rode 1 loop and ran the difficult 10k of the run 1 time, not River Road section as that is just flat. Then rode the bike course the next w/o the out and back. Broke my derailleur so I was stuck. All in all a good early recon. The real "camp" will come in June. Anyone else heading up June 12-15?

Last time I raced IMLP we had a big group of BTers. I got a room at econo lodge but if we can get a group together we can prob get something cheaper.
2014-05-25 4:49 AM

User image

Veteran
Coopersburg, PA
Swimming for an hour in open water today. Hoping to make the full 2.4 distance in that time. Tomorrow is a 100+ mile ride. What are you guys up to this weekend? This page is too quiet!
2014-05-26 4:07 AM

User image

Veteran
Coopersburg, PA
Swam the full 2.4 miles (according to my 310xt in swim mode) in 56 mins!! Whooohooooo!!! Ive been working hard on my swim over the winter and it is certainly paying off now. Today will be the first of a few 100 mile rides over the next few weeks. Gonna be a beautiful day here in the NE so go and get it!
2014-05-26 7:46 PM

User image

Veteran
, New York
In case anyone's wondering, Mirror Lake is now at 62 degrees and definitely swimable! The first set of buoys are already up...Also, as previously mentioned the roads are still a mess. This winter has been particularly hard and the Keene descent is really bumpy.

If BTers end up going up for an unofficial type camp let me know! I'm from around the area and can always use some company on some rides/swims! At this point I'm convinced that my coach is trying to kill me, I'm entering the perpetually sore, tired and hungry part of Ironman training.

New Thread
General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman Lake Placid 2014 Rss Feed  

of 7