Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Under the Dome Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, the bear, DerekL, alicefoeller Reply
2013-07-30 9:25 PM

User image

Elite
Subject: Under the Dome
Perhaps there is another thread for this excellent new show?
Sure, maybe it's just another sci-fi show my wife and I will jinx, but this show has been damn impressive.
Just curious to see if anyone else out there is appreciating this gem.

I don't remember seeing much marketing of it prior to its airing...for a Stephen King/Steven Spielberg production that is.

2013-07-30 9:42 PM
in reply to: ChineseDemocracy

User image

Champion
Brooklyn, NY
Subject: RE: Under the Dome
Originally posted by ChineseDemocracy

Perhaps there is another thread for this excellent new show?
Sure, maybe it's just another sci-fi show my wife and I will jinx, but this show has been damn impressive.
Just curious to see if anyone else out there is appreciating this gem.

I don't remember seeing much marketing of it prior to its airing...for a Stephen King/Steven Spielberg production that is.

I liked it when it was called "The Simpsons Movie".
2013-07-30 10:08 PM

User image

Master
Almaden Valley, San Jose, California
We're liking it!  The acting isn't impressive, but it's a good story line.  So, it's probably not going to last...... 
2013-07-30 10:29 PM
in reply to: velcromom

User image

Expert
Timmins, ON. Canada
Really enjoyed the book, may have to check it out!
2013-07-30 11:08 PM

User image

I saw something about it the other day and Tivo'd it the other night. Maybe because I didn't see the first few episodes but I lost interest in it and ending up deleting it mid way through. I think right after Hank negotiated the propane for water deal.
2013-07-31 5:30 AM
in reply to: justinfss

User image

Resident Curmudgeon
The Road Back
Gold member
Originally posted by justinfss Really enjoyed the book, may have to check it out!
Same basic premise as the book but so far the show has deviated significantly. We're watching and enjoying regardless, decent summertime viewing.

2013-07-31 7:36 AM
in reply to: velcromom

User image

Elite
Actually, I've been impressed overall with the acting (except for the newly-appointed sheriff, she's terrible).
The other positive with the show is that it's not predictable.
I have not read the book either...which helps because it's impossible to thoroughly enjoy a show/movie when you've read the book ahead of time...a book is better 99% of the time which leads to disappointment with the on-screen adaptation.

My wife and I are still getting a kick out of the fact that when it was advertised, I thought it was some sort of reality show.
Obviously, I had not seen the full preview trailer, just a brief blurby commercial.
  • ..of course, people start dying, and it's a funny joke for us now..."Boy, where were they keeping the cameras? Can they kill people on reality tv" etc.
  • 2013-07-31 8:55 AM

User image

Pro
    McKinney, TX

From what I understand, it's just a summer series....so (without having read the book), I'm assuming that it will end around the time the new shows start.

Loved the first episode and a half....the next few were slow to me.....really liked Mondays. Reminds me of Jericho.

Can we agree, going forward, that we won't have any spoilers and/or "well in the book....", please???

2013-07-31 9:47 AM
    in reply to: bradleyd3

User image

Pro
    Bartlett, TN
    We gave up on it after two episodes.
    2013-07-31 11:36 AM
    in reply to: bradleyd3

User image

Elite
    Subject: RE: Under the Dome No Spoilers Please
    Originally posted by bradleyd3

From what I understand, it's just a summer series....so (without having read the book), I'm assuming that it will end around the time the new shows start.

Loved the first episode and a half....the next few were slow to me.....really liked Mondays. Reminds me of Jericho.

Can we agree, going forward, that we won't have any spoilers and/or "well in the book....", please???

good call. perhaps the thread title could be edited for "No Spoilers Please."
    2013-07-31 2:03 PM

User image

Champion
    Chicago
    Subject: RE: Under the Dome No Spoilers Please
    We're quite enjoying it ... I like that part when (spoiler alert!) the guy does the thing with the stuff and then the girl was all `Don't!' and then they were both all `OK we're still not dead.' Edge of your seat stuff.

2013-07-31 2:39 PM
    in reply to: crusevegas

User image

Veteran
    Roll Tide!!

Originally posted by crusevegas I saw something about it the other day and Tivo'd it the other night. Maybe because I didn't see the first few episodes but I lost interest in it and ending up deleting it mid way through. I think right after Hank negotiated the propane for water deal.

You can see all of the episodes on Amazon Prime

Yes its a pretty good story, we are enjoying it.

But yeah, the 'new' sheriff's acting.... and why has the blond has not managed to outsmart Jr ....

2013-07-31 7:22 PM

User image

Master
    I read the book and like the book much better.
    The show is good but does not move at a good pace.
    I think that if they had stuck with the books story line more closely I would be enjoying it more.
    Of course in the book SK has them dropping "F" bombs left and right, which he could have reduced by 90% and still told a good story.
    2013-07-31 7:48 PM
    in reply to: jford2309

User image

Champion
    Checkin' out the podium girls
    Originally posted by jford2309

We gave up on it after two episodes.

I did too. Like Lost; too many rules and stuff to keep track of. Entertain me, don't challenge my ability to know what's OK and not.
    2013-07-31 8:25 PM
    in reply to: pitt83

User image

Veteran
    Roll Tide!!

Originally posted by pitt83
    Originally posted by jford2309 We gave up on it after two episodes.
    I did too. Like Lost; too many rules and stuff to keep track of. Entertain me, don't challenge my ability to know what's OK and not.

Lost was one of my all time favorite shows!!!!

2013-08-01 6:18 AM
    in reply to: pitt83

User image

Resident Curmudgeon
    The Road Back
    Gold member

Not sure what "rules" you're referring too, actually I think this is pretty mindless summer entertainment. But there are those of us out here that prefer our entertainment to be challenging.

2013-08-01 6:59 AM
    in reply to: the bear

User image

Elite
    Originally posted by the bear

Not sure what "rules" you're referring too, actually I think this is pretty mindless summer entertainment. But there are those of us out here that prefer our entertainment to be challenging.

I agree Bear. There aren't any "rules" I can think of.
    What there is of course, is uncertainty. I think they are guiding us along nicely.
    The characters aren't 1-dimensional. It's got a good, creepy feel to it. And like I mentioned earlier, the only truly sub-par acting chops I've seen have been from one character (the new female sheriff)...not enough to poo-poo the show.
    The plot is very interesting.
    Granted, I haven't read the book...nor, have I seen The Simpsons Movie which a friend of mine told me was very similar to King's book.
    Every week I look forward to the show and where everything is headed.
    2013-08-01 12:57 PM

User image

Sensei
    Sin City

I tend to think shows like that seem to start off so promising then sort of just get a little discombobulated.

I'm going to coin a phrase "The Heroes Effect".  That show was fantastic the first season and had an average second season.  I think they saw how popular some of the "twists" were the first season and just over did it the second.  Shoot, Silar was and awesome bad guy, then turned good for a few episodes, then bad, then secretly good acting bad, but really was bad being a double agent acting good who was really bad...After a couple seasons it fell off the radar and was canceled.  I think many others must have felt the same way.  Too much randomness and no core story line to keep you interested.

I don't mind a season long story, but it seems like these story type shows (the ones you need to keep watching week after week) seem to get a little silly.  Rarely any real resolution to anything, just another twist to keep it going.  Usually the cable networks get it right.  Dexter or Spartacus or the other story type shoes have a distint conclusion after a season.   GoT at least has a full story line that will end, not some week to week twist fest the writers come with next.

2013-08-01 3:36 PM
    in reply to: Kido

User image

Elite
    Originally posted by Kido

I tend to think shows like that seem to start off so promising then sort of just get a little discombobulated.

I'm going to coin a phrase "The Heroes Effect".  That show was fantastic the first season and had an average second season.  I think they saw how popular some of the "twists" were the first season and just over did it the second.  Shoot, Silar was and awesome bad guy, then turned good for a few episodes, then bad, then secretly good acting bad, but really was bad being a double agent acting good who was really bad...After a couple seasons it fell off the radar and was canceled.  I think many others must have felt the same way.  Too much randomness and no core story line to keep you interested.

I don't mind a season long story, but it seems like these story type shows (the ones you need to keep watching week after week) seem to get a little silly.  Rarely any real resolution to anything, just another twist to keep it going.  Usually the cable networks get it right.  Dexter or Spartacus or the other story type shoes have a distint conclusion after a season.   GoT at least has a full story line that will end, not some week to week twist fest the writers come with next.

As far as I know, this show would kind of be an exception as it's based off a book and has a beginning and an end. it has twists, but it's far from a "twist fest."
    but as it is it's been a great Summer show.
    2013-08-01 6:51 PM

User image

Elite
    Hey, just read an article at CNBC that stated CBS will be renewing Under the Dome.
    I'm psyched.
    2013-08-01 7:20 PM

User image

No spoiler, but the ending of the book made me not want to watch this

2013-08-02 6:58 AM
    in reply to: ChrisM

User image

Elite
    Originally posted by ChrisM

No spoiler, but the ending of the book made me not want to watch this

Chris, I'm a pretty positive guy...that's good news you've got. The book was good enough to get to the end! (that's the glass half full)
    New Thread
    Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Under the Dome Rss Feed