Moderators: the bear, kaqphin, tinkerbeth, D001, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 4

2013-08-28 8:06 AM
in reply to: ceilidh

User image

Subject: RE: running challenge for Aug?
Originally posted by ceilidh

Originally posted by austhokie
Originally posted by Taringa Now there's a new way of passing time while running/planking/riding long distance....how many prime numbers can you calculate and remember as you work out? Exercise for the mind and body, I like it!
haha - my poor brain...I probably wouldn't get too far...but have me calculate surge rules for ships underway and approaching other ships, or 3 minute rules (certain speeds and distance travelled in 3 minutes) and i'd be good my plan to run got way-laid by the dog last night and an unplanned trip to the vet - got home to find out that he had basically licked pat of his paws raw (we've been dealing with a fungal thing, that went in conjunction with low thyroid levels) - so walk-in trip to the vet, only 1 vet on duty (they were almost done for the day) - and it was 9pm before I got home

so that run went to the dogs. heh!

I would not get far at all with the prime numbers. I can calculate clean up levels for hazardous waste. Calulating surge rules sounds cool, but I have no idea what that is!  I'll just plank with Mike!!!

the surge rule - simply is if you are approaching another boat to come alongside at a higher speed...where do you want to cut speed in order to end up where you want to be alongside...the surge is the time is takes for the speed to reduce from the initial to the new

2013-08-28 10:12 AM
in reply to: austhokie

User image

Champion
Bronze member

Originally posted by Taringa Now there's a new way of passing time while running/planking/riding long distance....how many prime numbers can you calculate and remember as you work out? Exercise for the mind and body, I like it!
haha - my poor brain...I probably wouldn't get too far...but have me calculate surge rules for ships underway and approaching other ships, or 3 minute rules (certain speeds and distance travelled in 3 minutes) and i'd be good my plan to run got way-laid by the dog last night and an unplanned trip to the vet - got home to find out that he had basically licked pat of his paws raw (we've been dealing with a fungal thing, that went in conjunction with low thyroid levels) - so walk-in trip to the vet, only 1 vet on duty (they were almost done for the day) - and it was 9pm before I got home

I would not get far at all with the prime numbers. I can calculate clean up levels for hazardous waste. Calulating surge rules sounds cool, but I have no idea what that is!  I'll just plank with Mike!!!

the surge rule - simply is if you are approaching another boat to come alongside at a higher speed...where do you want to cut speed in order to end up where you want to be alongside...the surge is the time is takes for the speed to reduce from the initial to the new

And you calculate that in your head. Okay, I am impressed.

(going to do a mindless plank now)

2013-08-28 10:29 AM

User image

haha - its all about rules of thumb - they give you a good basis - this speed vs. this speed = this; the strange thing is that I suck at math in general, but can do it in my head for stuff like this
2013-08-28 11:07 AM

User image

Champion
Bronze member

haha - its all about rules of thumb - they give you a good basis - this speed vs. this speed = this; the strange thing is that I suck at math in general, but can do it in my head for stuff like this
ahhh.. the definition of "need to know".
2013-08-28 1:41 PM

User image

Elite
Lakewood, CO
Chipotle run today for another 3.66 miles. going to be well short of the goal with 2 missed long runs and a week of no running.
Hopefully I have the gumption to get 12 miles in at altitude this weekend and at least get over 70% of the goal.....
I will be going into a Half Mary Sept 7 so under trained (although better than last year)
2013-08-28 4:58 PM
in reply to: peto_primo

User image

With todays 8.2 miles I met my goal of 300 miles this month. I have managed to run at least 300 miles every month so far this year and this almost 51 year old body is holding up well.

2013-08-28 7:26 PM
in reply to: navbtcret

User image

Elite
washington state
Another run in today .... at least I am still going.
2013-08-29 4:52 AM
in reply to: deehtz

User image

Gold Coast, Australia
I haven't run in days....swim tomorrow, then perhaps I can squeeze in a run the next day before work (is that still August?). I won't reach my goal .  Now if I just didn't have to go to work I could do heaps of running... 
2013-08-29 9:25 AM
in reply to: Taringa

User image

I started my ride later than planned last night and by the time I had finished up 35 miler (which turned into 37 miles) it was dark...so I didn't get my run in...tonight is supposed to be about 45-50 minutes give or take...hopefully, the dog won't do anything dumb (although he has managed to pull of his collar of shame 4 times now...me thinks he doesn't want to wear it)...
2013-08-30 9:27 AM

User image

One more day after today.

Pink Socks, nice mileage.
2013-08-30 11:19 AM

User image

Elite
washington state

another little run in today.  very slow very little but done.

2013-08-30 4:13 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Tallahassee, Florida
Originally posted by navbtcret

One more day after today.

Pink Socks, nice mileage.

Thank you Sir. Your mileage is pretty ok too.

I've got one more day and I see I won't make 100% but I'll try to get close. Who knows, I may end up hitting a prime number. Or not.
2013-08-31 8:03 AM
in reply to: Pink Socks

User image

August is in the books for me with 316.44 miles. That makes all 8 months of this year so far with over 300 miles running for a total of 2793.46 miles for the year to date. Made my goal again this month.
2013-08-31 9:55 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Tallahassee, Florida
Just back from my last long run of the month. Didn't make my increased goal of 120 but I'll take the 117.3.

Way to go Navbtcret. Not only did you have a kick A-- mileage goal, you are the only one to reach 100%. Congrats!

Certainly enjoyed it everyone. Good running (biking and swimming too) to all of you.
2013-08-31 10:04 AM

User image

Master
St. Louis
Originally posted by navbtcret

August is in the books for me with 316.44 miles. That makes all 8 months of this year so far with over 300 miles running for a total of 2793.46 miles for the year to date. Made my goal again this month.

Impressive!
2013-09-03 1:23 PM
in reply to: ransick

User image

Elite
Lakewood, CO
Well came in at a lackluster 60% of my goal. Missed every long run for the last 4 weeks too. I should be well rested for my half mary on Saturday.

New Thread
Other Resources Challenge Me! » running challenge for Aug? Rss Feed  

of 4

RELATED POSTS

E.V.I.L. Running Reapers - Halloween Run Challenge Pages: 1 ... 48 49 50 51

Started by D001
Views: 49254 Posts: 1267

2009-11-03 10:21 AM ashort33

Running Pumpkins - Halloween Run Challenge Pages: 1 ... 22 23 24 25

Started by D001
Views: 27713 Posts: 618

2009-11-01 6:14 PM D001

Halloween Run (Walk/Elliptical/Water Run) Challenge: TEAM ANNOUCEMENT

Started by kaqphin
Views: 2480 Posts: 12

2008-10-02 6:51 AM sparco

Halloween Run (walk/water run/elliptical) Challenge - Mk II Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9

Started by kaqphin
Views: 14928 Posts: 220

2008-11-01 11:12 PM kaqphin

New IM challenge for July, July/Aug?

Started by newLeaf
Views: 1624 Posts: 4

2007-07-01 9:21 PM jcjsc00
RELATED ARTICLES
date : November 28, 2007
author : Tri Swim Coach
comments : 0
Question and answers on swimming strength challenges, is kicking important, 'runners kick' with ankle inflexibility and the usefulness of fins, pool buoys and paddles.

date : October 9, 2007
author : dr_forbush
comments : 9
The boat was being tossed around. Someone noted that there were whitecaps on the waves. Another guy said, “This is going to be challenging.” I began to wonder what he meant by 'challenging'.
date : July 10, 2007
author : Ontherun
Having three seasons under my belt I thought I knew what I was doing. That all changed with a few new challenges and a bunch of new friends.

date : January 7, 2007
author : Ontherun
comments : 4
We were all there once, a beginner. Time to take the challenge and help a beginner triathlete!
date : January 29, 2006
author : lv2teach
comments : 1
It’s a challenge to push yourself a little harder and a little further. Be proud of every workout that is accomplished and every step-even the baby ones-that you take on this course to the finishline.

date : November 27, 2005
author : AMSSM
Try to view your injury as another athletic challenge and an opportunity for personal learning and growth. Identify the skills that help you succeed as an athlete.
date : September 3, 2005
author : infosteward
The Boulder Peak bike course is legendary. It is, literally and named as such, one of the toughest bike legs in the country.

date : August 31, 2004
WAYNESVILLE, Ohio (August 22, 2004) Professional triathlete Felipe Bastos (BRA/USA) took another trip to Ohio this weekend...