General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Best way to fix a wetsuit tear Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-07-31 6:03 AM

User image

Elite
Subject: Best way to fix a wetsuit tear

Sorry a search did not give me an answer

Finished IMLP sunday!!!!! however when putting on the suit (xterra vortex 3) my heel (probably nervous energy)put a tear about half of the circumference of the leg but only about 4 inches from the bottom, so it did not effect my swim,

So should I fix it and how? any links? or chalk it up to another expense of doing an IM and buy a new one with a rip that big though in a better spot to have a rip

thanks

2013-07-31 7:31 AM
in reply to: FELTGood

User image

New user
Rhode Island
Subject: RE: Best way to fix a wetsuit tear
I tore a seam in the crotch of my wetsuit, about a 2 inch tear during a race a month ago, water just poured in. Everything I read about fixing it said send it back to the manufacturer to have it professionally fixed, but I needed it for OWS training and more races, so I researched fixing it myself. I used 4 lb test fishing line to sew it (with the knots on the outside) and the stitching very tight/close. Then bought some Aquaseal and put it on and let it dry. It hasn't re-torn or leaked and I've used it 6-7 times since the repair. Seems like a perfect fix to me. YMMV.
2013-07-31 7:46 AM
in reply to: FELTGood

User image

2013-07-31 8:31 AM
in reply to: DanielG

User image

Elite
Originally posted by DanielG

http://www.buypoh.com/percept630blackfloss.html

http://www.swimandtri.com/Scripts/McNett_Aquaseal_Product94.aspx?gc...
or
http://www.dolphinscuba.com/neoprene-queen-wetsuit-repair-glue.html...

Those are just representations of what you can use. You can probably find each cheaper if you really look for it.

THANKS for info
2013-07-31 9:07 AM
in reply to: DanielG

I agree with this. Wetsuit glue is just as strong, or stronger, than the neoprene itself. I have fixed many wetsuits with wetsuit glue (the black stuff) and it hold fine for years. Unless the seam split I wouldn't bother sending it back to the manufacturer to fix as they are probably just going to glue it anyways. Also, in my experience, there is no need to sew anything. Just put the wetsuit glue (multiple coats) on each side of the tear, wait for it to get tacky and then press it together and hold it for a few minutes.
2013-07-31 9:56 AM
in reply to: stebaldi

User image

No experience with fixing a tri-type wetsuit, but here is the procedure I've used many times for neoprene kayak sprayskirts and the like:

1. Apply a piece of painter's tape to the inside of the tear, closing the tear and leaving only a small (1-2 mm) gap.
2. Completely fill the gap you left in the tear with aquaseal (available from stores that sell dive or paddling equipment or online, $7)
3. Smooth the aquaseal over the tear (wear a glove) and apply another piece of painter's tape, completely covering the tear.
4. For the flattest finish, sandwich the repair between two boards, clamp & leave 24 hours.

If you want to keep the aquaseal around, toss it in the freezer. Keeps it fresh. Aquaseal is great because it will stretch & give a little bit. Again, I haven't used it on the soft rubber neoprene xterra uses, but if it will hold on a sprayskirt (under a lot of tension) it should hold on a wetsuit.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Best way to fix a wetsuit tear Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

How to best fix a tear in a wetsuit

Started by xrodolfox
Views: 908 Posts: 7

2012-07-30 10:28 AM GAUG3

Ways to show offhow good your really are.... Pages: 1 2

Started by Thaitri
Views: 4289 Posts: 44

2010-08-18 10:32 AM thegoddess

How do you fix small tear in wetsuite

Started by io643
Views: 728 Posts: 6

2009-09-22 2:56 PM idahodan

Best ways to improve swim?

Started by Iowa Action
Views: 2172 Posts: 16

2009-05-05 10:58 PM AdventureBear

Best ways to increase leg strength?

Started by Cyclingmaniac
Views: 2004 Posts: 20

2007-05-14 6:41 PM Cyclingmaniac
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 8, 2013
author : AMSSM
comments : 2
A few weeks ago I tore the MCL and ACL in my right knee and the LCL in my left knee in an accident. Can I returned to triathlon? What would that entail?

date : February 22, 2010
comments : 0
I've seen posts on chronic achilles pain, but nothing on recovery from surgery. I don't know the difference between the good pain and the bad when training.
date : November 17, 2008
author : Ontherun
In part 3 of this series on mid-range fullsuits, we review the Neo Sport Sprint fullsuit for comfort, warmth, buoyancy and performance.

date : September 16, 2008
author : BGTwinDad
In part two of this series of common roadside bike repairs, we show you how to fix a flat tire. Though if you're lucky, a bicycle repairman will wheel by at just the right time.
date : September 3, 2008
author : Ontherun
comments : 1
The first video in this series will go through some wetsuit basics: what is a triathlon wetsuit, different styles, rules for racing with a wetsuit and wetsuit care and fit.

date : August 20, 2008
author : Tri Swim Coach
I'm doing my first tri Saturday. It starts at 7 AM and the forecast is calling for a high of 82 (air temp). Do I need to rush out and get a wetsuit?
date : July 7, 2008
author : Ron
comments : 1
This is a 'first impressions' review of the Fit2Race Sockeye Fullsuit. From a first wetsuit point-of-view, I was able to dramatically improve my pace over non-wetsuit swims.

date : October 1, 2006
Tendonitis can often be treated effectively through a variety of means including therapeutic exercise, medications, modalities, taping, and, most importantly, activity modification.