General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Hip popping after bike ride Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-07-31 1:10 PM

New user

Essex, CT
Subject: Hip popping after bike ride
Lately I have had an issue with my right hip popping whenever I finish a ride on my TT. It's gradually getting worse and is affecting my training (and may have been the cause of my not finishing the run in my last Olympic distance race). I'm going to take a test ride on my road bike tonight to see if I get the same popping, but I am going to guess that I probably won't due to the difference in the geometry of the bikes. Has anyone ever experienced this, or know what tweaks I should make to my bike (or form) to alleviate this? I've had the same bike set up for the last two seasons and this problem just surfaced about a month ago. It's affecting my IT band and my knee when I go out for a transition run. And my power output on the bike seemed lessened today (which is also when I experienced the most post-ride pain). I do have arthritis in my hip and I am sure that's part of the problem, but there must be something I can do. I don't get this hip popping when I have just a run day.

2013-07-31 2:05 PM
in reply to: ElizaC

User image

Veteran
Central France
Subject: RE: Hip popping after bike ride
I've been having similar issues with my right hip. While it never hurts during or right after cycling, it can act up later on in the day or the next morning. Sometimes it acts up when I run, but not all the time. And it gets bad when I sit for too long - especially in the car.
I think my IT band was really tight and rather than pulling at the knee it was pulling at the hip. Since I've started doing stretches for my IT band as well as piriformis stretches, hip flexor and psoas stretches my hip is much, much better.
I like the stretches in this video - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tFtUgS69rPk
and on this website - http://www.laurensfitness.com/2007/12/24/tight-hips-tips-to-loosen-...
Hope these help.
2013-08-09 1:25 PM
in reply to: jaja63

New user

Essex, CT
Thanks for the links!
2013-08-09 2:38 PM

User image

Pro

hmmm.  well, I'm no expert and I really don't know what's going on with your hip.  but when I was having hip issues I tried lots of stretches.  They felt great when doing them, but ultimately only gave me looser hips and resulted in more pain to the point where I couldn't walk without a serious limp.

took a break from running, ditched the stretching, and started doing hip strengthening exercises.  strengthening and tightening the hip is what worked for me.

guess it depends on what is 'popping'.  

2013-08-09 8:35 PM

User image

New user
Stretching never worked for me when I had this issue.
After months of trying to figure it out myself I went to a chiro, which helped a bit. He told me I had immobility in my SI joint.
Shortly thereafter, both my trainer & a massage therapist recommended I try out a foam roller. Best fitness equipment I have ever purchased!
Now I spend time rolling out my lower back, hips, IT band & quads any time I feel a twinge of pain. Haven't had anything more than normal exercise-induced muscle aches since I started using it. I'm a believer in the foam roller
2013-08-09 9:02 PM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
While stretching and strengthening might help in general, if it's only happening after you ride your tri bike, then maybe it's a fit issue? Particularly if it is affecting your power output on the bike, it's probably not the best position for you. I'd go back to where you fit or purchased the bike and explain the situation; they would probably be able to tweak the fit for you.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Hip popping after bike ride Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Hips Popping During Runs

Started by ocean4life
Views: 964 Posts: 7

2010-07-28 2:43 PM Chatagirl

Numbness in hip area when riding

Started by hbf
Views: 749 Posts: 1

2010-03-03 12:20 AM hbf

Ironman 70.3 training - 5 hours bike ride vs 3 hours bike ride and 2 hours run

Started by Butcher
Views: 4801 Posts: 17

2009-07-27 11:25 AM jasonnance

Blisters - to pop or not pop?

Started by ch2626
Views: 3533 Posts: 24

2008-04-25 10:15 AM rnrgrl262

Hip Pain--Replace run with bike tomorrow?

Started by jtat17
Views: 939 Posts: 5

2005-03-23 11:26 AM jtat17
RELATED ARTICLES
date : May 29, 2012
author : AMSSM
comments : 0
I recently just ran a 5 mile race, and in the last 100 meters I was sprinting to pass someone and I felt a "pop" in my left arch. Could I have strained it? What is your advice for healing?

date : January 27, 2011
author : Mark Sunderland
The no-excuses guide to riding outdoors in snow, wind, ice and darkness. Bring it on!
date : January 8, 2010
author : FitWerx
comments : 1
I am in the market for a new road bike, at several local bike stores I will test ride several bikes. Other than basic fit and components, how should I compare them while doing a test ride?

date : December 15, 2008
author : FitWerx
I own both a road bike and a tri bike. I am wondering which bike I should be riding during off season training, or does it matter?
date : July 8, 2008
author : Writebrained
comments : 10
Riding Zen means nothing more than being keenly aware of your surroundings and in control of your emotional state at all times. It also means riding safe and riding smart.

date : January 3, 2008
Hip or pelvic pain is a common complaint for runners and can range from severe problems, such as stress fractures or arthritis, to mild problems, such as muscle strains or bursitis.
date : September 3, 2006
Near the end of one of my long runs, I noticed my left hip aching. There was a slight pop with each step. The hip was sore for 2 days after the run.

date : December 14, 2004
author : Don Magie
Known for its brutal cadences, nasty sprints and 12-minute hills, the spin class seems to be the perfect substitute for a raunchy ride outside. But is it?