General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Texas 70.3 in Galveston Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 3

2013-08-01 10:54 AM

User image

Veteran
Shawnee
Subject: Texas 70.3 in Galveston
I'm considering this event for my first HIM in 2014. I know that registration is open now and understand that this is a very popular event. Does it typically sell out? If so, any estimations when that usually happens? I'd like to register, but not quite ready to pony up the money. Thank you.

2013-08-01 11:05 AM
in reply to: dprocket

User image

Master
San Antone, Texas
Subject: RE: Texas 70.3 in Galveston
It will probably sell out, but not until much closer to the race date. This year I think it sold out in late March, maybe even early April right before the race.

It's a good race, nice fast course and pretty smooth roads. The wind is the biggest challenge and that varies from year to year.
the run course this year was better than in previous years I think, although some people didn't like it.
2013-08-01 11:14 AM
in reply to: djastroman

User image

Veteran
Shawnee
Great. That sounds good. I'm looking for an early season 70.3 to train for during the hard winter months. Also, looking for a place that the wife and I can get away together for a few days so was looking at TX or FL 70.3.

I'm from Kansas City and we have the KS 70.3 2 months later, but I'm thinking an earlier race may help me with my winter training program (although it will be, admittedly harder) and has the added benefit of being a little more of an event.

2013-08-01 11:18 AM

User image

Master
San Antone, Texas
it will be warm and humid, so keep that in mind!

Even living in Texas, its hard to prepare for just how warm and humid the area is so early in the year. That caught me on the last portion of the run when the day really heated up.
2013-08-01 11:24 AM

User image

Veteran
Shawnee
Originally posted by djastroman

Even living in Texas, its hard to prepare for just how warm and humid the area is so early in the year. That caught me on the last portion of the run when the day really heated up.
well that kind of stinks. We had a real mild spring here and my first race in June turned out to be a very hot and humid day... It was an 8 Kile run... First real humidity of the season and I nearly melted down. I'll have to think about how I can train for the conditions in the cold weather.

The fact that it is drivable may still make it a preference over FL which would imagine is also quite humid.
2013-08-01 11:25 AM

User image

Pearland,Tx

How about the swim portion? its saltwater right? choppy waves??

2013-08-01 11:34 AM
in reply to: strykergt

User image

Master
San Antone, Texas
Originally posted by strykergt

How about the swim portion? its saltwater right? choppy waves??

Yes, it is a saltwater swim but its in a protected bayou (I think that's the right word... I don't know, I'm a land dweller). It's not out in the open ocean.
The waves weren't that bad this year, but the wind wasn't that bad either. I'm not sure about previous years when it was reported to be much windier. But I would expect since its more of a bay than out in the ocean it doesn't really get very choppy.

I would say no choppier than any other tri i've done in a freshwater lake.
2013-08-01 2:15 PM

User image

Veteran
Houston, TX
You might want to consider the Galveston 5150 in September. It's an Olympic distance that is on the same course at the 70.3. It'll give you a good feel for the area and the route.
2013-08-03 9:42 AM
in reply to: chris00nj

User image

Veteran
Shawnee
Originally posted by chris00nj

You might want to consider the Galveston 5150 in September. It's an Olympic distance that is on the same course at the 70.3. It'll give you a good feel for the area and the route.

I don't want to sound pejorative, but I looked at the 2012 5150 times and they seemed to be quite a bit slower than some other 5150 events that I'd seen (and been a part of). I'm not fast, so don't get me wrong. I just noticed that the lowest qualifying time for the 5150 championship (in my AG) was about 9 minutes slower than another event in MO. The MO event is known as extremely brutal with lots of hills.

I know there could be lots of reasons for this: maybe weather played a factor. I guess I expected this to be a very fast course. Anyone have any insight? Perhaps...because it is at the end of the 'season' and the 1st of the 5150 races it is not as well attended by those hoping to qualify? Maybe the course is not as flat and fast as I thought. Just curious.
2013-08-03 10:41 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cypress, TX

I'm copying and pasting some of my previous comments on the Texas 70.3...

The Texas 70.3 has slower average finish times than many races that are far harder than it "on paper" (like Syracuse, Buffalo Springs, Austin, and many others).  It's actually in the top 1/3 for slowest finish time.  Don't make the mistake thinking it's easy because it's flat and looks easy on paper.  I've done it 4x (every year it has been an Ironman branded event) so I know the race really well.

1. It's early season and it tends to be the hottest day of the year up to that point.  Nobody is acclimated to running in mid-80's heat in early-April.

2. The bike course is very windy and that causes some chaos on the bike course.  It would be a very, very fast and easy bike course if the wind weren't a factor.  Galveston is an island and it's windy and there's zero protection from the wind as there's no buildings or walls or trees lining the bike course.  Winds usually come from a southerly direction which normally means a cross/headwind going out and a cross/tailwind coming back.  This past year saw almost all crosswinds with very little head or tailwind.  Riding 56 miles with a 10-20 mph crosswind is generally not a lot of fun.

3. The swim is not that fast.  It should be fast given the fact it's in saltwater and wetsuit legal but it's just not.  It's just an average speed swim, IMO.  There's always a little bit of current that you fight that keeps the swim honest.  The current was real choppy in 2010 and swim times reflected that.  I'm normally a 32-33 minute HIM swimmer and my swim time in 2010 was like 41 minutes.

All that stated, I think my two fastest HIM times were done on the Texas 70.3 course in 2012 and 2013.  I attribute that to knowing how to ride the bike course, which is mainly dealing with the wind.  People tend to destroy themselves the first half of the bike fighting the headwinds.  A power meter is your best friend on this course.

It's a very well run and managed course.  I will do it again and again.

The swim is in a protected "bayou" that's more or less part of Galveston Bay.  It's salt water and wetsuit legal.  The water has a slight chop to it (some years worse than others) and it's generally not a real fast swim despite the salt water and wetsuit.

It's a bit of a hike from the swim exit to transition so don't expect a super fast T1 time.

The bike is really flat.  It's pretty much an out and back type course.  The course is not easy despite being flat.  The wind is the great equalizer on this course.  Southerly winds are the norm that time of the year so you can expect some sort of headwind/crosswind the first half of the bike and some sort of tailwind/crosswind on the trip home.  You can bank on 15+ mph winds and there is no protection from the island winds.  The key to the bike is keeping your effort in check during the first half into the wind.  A power meter is an incredible asset on this course if you have one on your bike.  A huge percentage of people will overcook the first half of the bike and fubar their race.  The roads are generally good with the exception of the couple of miles of roads from Moody Gardens to the Seawall.  Those roads got tore up by Hurricane Ike and were not really repaired well.

The run is also flat with lots of twists and turns around Moody Gardens.  It's generally warm and humid. There's pretty much no shade on the course so plan on getting baked by the sun.

2013-08-03 11:00 AM
in reply to: GMAN 19030

User image

Pro
CyFair
Gman pretty much nailed it. 

2013-08-04 5:49 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Pearland,Tx
I am just wondering though until raceday there are slots still available for Galveston 70.3 and so as IMTX Woodlands. There are IMs and 70.3 s that run out fast after a few days of registration opening ex. IMAZ.

Edited by strykergt 2013-08-04 6:12 PM
2013-08-04 11:21 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cypress, TX

Texas 70.3 sold out for the first time this year and will probably do so again (although closer to the race).  It has become a very popular race.

IMTX will sell out before the year is over.  That race scares the sh*t out of people and has built a reputation as being pretty brutal.  I did it the first year and I will never do it again as long as the race is held on the same date.  It's freakin' miserable.

IMAZ sold out in less than a minute last year.

2013-08-04 11:26 PM

User image

Pearland,Tx
Originally posted by GMAN 19030

Texas 70.3 sold out for the first time this year and will probably do so again (although closer to the race).  It has become a very popular race.

IMTX will sell out before the year is over.  That race scares the sh*t out of people and has built a reputation as being pretty brutal.  I did it the first year and I will never do it again as long as the race is held on the same date.  It's freakin' miserable.

Please expound more IMTX= Brutal!! i believe you just need to know why
2013-08-05 8:36 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cypress, TX

It basically boils down to a terrible swim venue and the heat and humidity.  That early-season heat and humidity is a soul crusher.  Nobody is acclimated for that in May, not even us locals.  There are just better IM options in either more hospitable climates or at a more hospitable time of year.

An Ironman is a long and tough day no matter what so there's no need to do it in 90 degrees with a heat index approaching 100 and heat radiating off the pavement/concrete at over 110.

2013-08-05 8:40 AM

User image

Pro
CyFair

This year we had temps in the 60s and 70s until 2 weeks out from the race and then it was 95ish on race day.  The swim should be easy as it's in a lake, but once you turn into the canal there just isn't enough room for everyone so unless you're in the sub 1 hour swim category you're going to get clobbered.  I swam into the backs of people walking in the canal 3 or 4 times (it's only 4 feet deep in places).  Anyway, the course in a vacuum is relatively tame, but with upper 90s temps and high humidity people fall out in droves (see the 17% DNF rate)

2013-08-05 9:54 AM

User image

Pro
McKinney, TX

Click on my blog link below and read my race report....

Brutal because of the heat/headwind/humidty......not because of the course.

2013-08-06 5:01 PM

User image

I'm copying and pasting some of my previous comments on the Texas 70.3...

The Texas 70.3 has slower average finish times than many races that are far harder than it "on paper" (like Syracuse, Buffalo Springs, Austin, and many others).  It's actually in the top 1/3 for slowest finish time.  Don't make the mistake thinking it's easy because it's flat and looks easy on paper.  I've done it 4x (every year it has been an Ironman branded event) so I know the race really well.

1. It's early season and it tends to be the hottest day of the year up to that point.  Nobody is acclimated to running in mid-80's heat in early-April.

2. The bike course is very windy and that causes some chaos on the bike course.  It would be a very, very fast and easy bike course if the wind weren't a factor.  Galveston is an island and it's windy and there's zero protection from the wind as there's no buildings or walls or trees lining the bike course.  Winds usually come from a southerly direction which normally means a cross/headwind going out and a cross/tailwind coming back.  This past year saw almost all crosswinds with very little head or tailwind.  Riding 56 miles with a 10-20 mph crosswind is generally not a lot of fun.

3. The swim is not that fast.  It should be fast given the fact it's in saltwater and wetsuit legal but it's just not.  It's just an average speed swim, IMO.  There's always a little bit of current that you fight that keeps the swim honest.  The current was real choppy in 2010 and swim times reflected that.  I'm normally a 32-33 minute HIM swimmer and my swim time in 2010 was like 41 minutes.

All that stated, I think my two fastest HIM times were done on the Texas 70.3 course in 2012 and 2013.  I attribute that to knowing how to ride the bike course, which is mainly dealing with the wind.  People tend to destroy themselves the first half of the bike fighting the headwinds.  A power meter is your best friend on this course.

It's a very well run and managed course.  I will do it again and again.

The swim is in a protected "bayou" that's more or less part of Galveston Bay.  It's salt water and wetsuit legal.  The water has a slight chop to it (some years worse than others) and it's generally not a real fast swim despite the salt water and wetsuit.

It's a bit of a hike from the swim exit to transition so don't expect a super fast T1 time.

The bike is really flat.  It's pretty much an out and back type course.  The course is not easy despite being flat.  The wind is the great equalizer on this course.  Southerly winds are the norm that time of the year so you can expect some sort of headwind/crosswind the first half of the bike and some sort of tailwind/crosswind on the trip home.  You can bank on 15+ mph winds and there is no protection from the island winds.  The key to the bike is keeping your effort in check during the first half into the wind.  A power meter is an incredible asset on this course if you have one on your bike.  A huge percentage of people will overcook the first half of the bike and fubar their race.  The roads are generally good with the exception of the couple of miles of roads from Moody Gardens to the Seawall.  Those roads got tore up by Hurricane Ike and were not really repaired well.

The run is also flat with lots of twists and turns around Moody Gardens.  It's generally warm and humid. There's pretty much no shade on the course so plan on getting baked by the sun.

x2 what he said. I raced all 3 ironman halfs in Texas within the past 10 months and this by far was the hardest one to me due to lack of heat acclimation. Buffalo spring I think is a much harder course but you have much better weather to prepare for it. As far as viewing and entertainment for a family Galveston is by far my families favorite.
2013-08-06 6:40 PM
in reply to: bradleyd3

User image

Pearland,Tx
Originally posted by bradleyd3

Click on my blog link below and read my race report....

Brutal because of the heat/headwind/humidty......not because of the course.

Brad

I appreciate you sharing your blog about your IMTX finish.Congratulations!!! Im sure you can do it again. I am glad i read it gives me a very good idea how to prepare if ever.

Cheers!!!

2013-08-11 11:36 AM

User image

Veteran
Shawnee
So.... Any tips on training to somehow prepare for the wind+heat?
2013-08-11 12:24 PM

User image

Pro
CyFair

Originally posted by dprocket So.... Any tips on training to somehow prepare for the wind+heat?

Pacing & Nutrition.  Learn to run and ride by HR and/or power.  You can be going out at 13 mph and it's the correct effort.  Hydrate properly too.  For me that's 1 bottle every aid station.

2013-08-11 2:30 PM
in reply to: uhcoog

User image

Pearland,Tx
Originally posted by uhcoog

Originally posted by dprocket So.... Any tips on training to somehow prepare for the wind+heat?

Pacing & Nutrition.  Learn to run and ride by HR and/or power.  You can be going out at 13 mph and it's the correct effort.  Hydrate properly too.  For me that's 1 bottle every aid station.

Coach Scott

13mph? Galveston? or IMTX?

2013-08-12 7:41 AM

User image

Pro
CyFair
Originally posted by uhcoog

Coach Scott 13mph? Galveston? or IMTX?

Galveston.  I've been headed south with the wind in your face at 13mph.  Ofcourse when you turn around the same effort yields 30 mph give or take.  It's all about riding by your metrics and checking your ego at the door in regards to mph.

2013-08-22 11:43 AM
in reply to: uhcoog

User image

Extreme Veteran
ARLINGTON
Just registered!

Looking forward to my second year at this event...and learning from all my experiences...like re-applying sunscreen at T2!!
2013-08-27 3:26 PM

User image

Dallas

It basically boils down to a terrible swim venue and the heat and humidity.  That early-season heat and humidity is a soul crusher.  Nobody is acclimated for that in May, not even us locals.  There are just better IM options in either more hospitable climates or at a more hospitable time of year.

An Ironman is a long and tough day no matter what so there's no need to do it in 90 degrees with a heat index approaching 100 and heat radiating off the pavement/concrete at over 110.

Would you then NOT recommend me doing IMTX for my first full IM? I've done several 70.3's over the last two years, but never a full. I was targeting the IMTX 2014 race as my first. It basically boils down to either IMTX or IMLouisville. Looking at the courses, Louisville looks harder. In terms of weather/temperature, Louisville can be just as hot and humid as IMTX.

Thanks,
TK
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Texas 70.3 in Galveston Rss Feed  

of 3

RELATED POSTS

Have you done Galveston 70.3?

Started by goose1126
Views: 1994 Posts: 10

2012-08-30 11:08 AM bradleyd3

Galveston 70.3

Started by uhcoog
Views: 1655 Posts: 7

2012-08-24 10:01 AM djastroman

Galveston 70.3 Logistics and Question

Started by JG_GreenCoast
Views: 1397 Posts: 6

2012-01-08 3:14 PM pistuo

Galveston 70.3 Pages: 1 2 3

Started by ponyup
Views: 13406 Posts: 70

2012-04-02 11:50 AM djastroman

FYI- $199 Early Registration for Texas 70.3 & New Orleans 70.3

Started by spuphal
Views: 1675 Posts: 9

2011-06-17 12:14 PM bstauffer12
RELATED ARTICLES
date : December 11, 2009
author : Amy Kuitse
comments : 6
I just finished the NYC marathon on Sunday and I think I'm going to venture into triathlons. I am doing an Olympic distance and I want to do a 70.3 next year too. Any advice?

date : October 8, 2009
author : brianyanowski
comments : 2
Some mistakes I made during the Hawaii Ironman 70.3. Don't be caught out on the course not knowing how or not having the equipment to change a flat tire.
date : July 1, 2009
author : mrmarkcole
comments : 37
Or why an Ironman 70.3 may not be your best choice for your first triathlon.

date : August 21, 2008
author : TriChica
comments : 8
I thought of all the times I didn’t attempt something I wanted to do because I was too afraid of trying something new or of failing completely.
date : August 21, 2008
author : vm354
comments : 1
How Pilates training helped a wanna-be triathlete realize the goal of completing a half-Ironman, Ironman 70.3 Rhode Island.

date : January 1, 2008
author : jgosse66
comments : 0
Here is my five step plan for getting mentally prepared for next year’s Ironman Newfoundland 70.3, or any other race that you may have.
date : October 4, 2007
author : jgosse66
comments : 0
It was the morning of Ironman Newfoundland 70.3, I felt queasy. I didn't want to eat or drink anything. I had a full blown case of the pre-race HEEBEE GEEBEES.

date : June 6, 2006
author : Ingrid Loos
comments : 4
A bad race left me smoldering, but time and a gentle breeze ignited my passion to race again.