General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Swim Etiquette? Is there really such a thing? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 6

2013-08-12 4:47 PM
in reply to: lisac957

Subject: RE: Swim Etiquette? Is there really such a thing?
Originally posted by lisac957

Originally posted by BikerGrrrl

and had my butt grabbed quite often.  

Me too! Can any of you fast fishies (male 25-29 in my experience) explain this? Why are you grabbing our booties?

For me it hasn't been an "Pardon, I'm faster than you and am passing you a smidge too close" thing, it's been a "Honk honk! I'mma grab your booty and SQUEEZE! 3 times in a row!" type of thing. I laugh every time it happens, but have never figured it out.

Is this a "backdoor" backdoor brag?

2013-08-12 10:37 PM
in reply to: Kido

User image

Science Nerd
Redwood City, California
Originally posted by Kido

I have to admit, the breast strokers, even thought it's perfect legal, annoy me a little.  The only time I have gotten severly blasted (once in the head and once in the chest) was by someone who changed up from free style to breaststroke when I thought I had plenty of clearance.  Even when I stop to breast stroke, I tend to check my surroundings the best I can.  In fact, if needed, I'll just come to a stop, check/sight, then start rather than risk a breast stroke kick (I have super long legs).

Even with all that contact avoidance and stopping/vs breast stroke, I tend to do all right in a Tri swim.

Ditto.  I got kicked really hard in the ribs during AG Nationals on Sunday.  I'm pretty sure they are cracked.  Made for an interesting rest of the race.

2013-08-13 8:10 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
Burlington, Vermont
Originally posted by erik.norgaard
Please, stop the blame game, just swim.

I stopped reading here. It's all that really needs to be said.

When I realized that the person who just clocked me with his/her stroke is the same person willing to toss me an extra CO2 on the bike course, the swim got a LOT more relaxing. Relaxed swimming is a good thing. Additionally ... when you (the collective you) jump immediately to the "that terrible swimmer just swam over me" finger pointing, you stop looking at yourself with any sort of critique. When you assume you're the straight-as-an-arrow swimmer that is doing nothing wrong, you lose the motivation to keep improving. You're losing valuable self-critique out of spite and are missing out at your full potential.

Edited by BernardDogs 2013-08-13 8:10 AM
2013-08-13 9:17 AM
in reply to: BernardDogs

User image

Pro

Originally posted by BernardDogs
Originally posted by erik.norgaard Please, stop the blame game, just swim.
I stopped reading here. It's all that really needs to be said. When I realized that the person who just clocked me with his/her stroke is the same person willing to toss me an extra CO2 on the bike course, the swim got a LOT more relaxing. Relaxed swimming is a good thing. Additionally ... when you (the collective you) jump immediately to the "that terrible swimmer just swam over me" finger pointing, you stop looking at yourself with any sort of critique. When you assume you're the straight-as-an-arrow swimmer that is doing nothing wrong, you lose the motivation to keep improving. You're losing valuable self-critique out of spite and are missing out at your full potential.

Excellent Bernard!  Like the man said, "Lord, save me from the good people". Laughing

2013-08-13 11:15 AM
in reply to: dmiller5

User image

I just want to thank everyone for this thread. I am gearing up for my first sprint event and appreciate the advice. I have been taking TI instruction for freestyle but was envisioned mixing some side stroke or breast stroke in there. I had not considered the possible dangers and am now rethinking my approach. I will definitely look to be back or side of the pack though! Thanks again!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Swim Etiquette? Is there really such a thing? Rss Feed  

of 6

RELATED POSTS

Things you really want to hear (Tri is good for you)

Started by BrianRunsPhilly
Views: 1053 Posts: 5

2012-05-24 6:48 AM jbrookscga78

Swim Start Etiquette..such a thing? Pages: 1 2

Started by FELTGood
Views: 2891 Posts: 35

2011-04-12 8:42 AM brucemorgan

Really really hungry after swimming? Pages: 1 2

Started by jessica71980
Views: 5518 Posts: 34

2010-01-23 9:46 PM SWIM2LIVE

Bike helmet = really good thing

Started by SevenZulu
Views: 1438 Posts: 16

2009-03-23 2:17 PM ried0428

This training thing really works!

Started by akabak
Views: 593 Posts: 2

2005-06-27 11:29 AM CLLinIA
RELATED ARTICLES
date : July 18, 2011
author : garyhallsr
comments : 5
World-record swimmer gives advice on correct breathing technique

date : September 3, 2010
author : Scott Tinley
comments : 1
Stripped of its three-figure entry fees and five figure bikes, when the gun goes off it's still a bunch of crazies doing three sports for a thousand reasons.
date : October 29, 2008
author : Tri Swim Coach
comments : 0
Triathlon swim training discussions on the pull, open water swimming all year, winter swim focus, bilateral breathing during a race and Ironman swim training in 6 weeks.

date : May 5, 2008
author : TriPainter
I went into the pool area (as this was a pool swim) and got body marked. That's when it hit me that I was there to race - this was not a clinic.
date : March 17, 2008
author : randomescape
comments : 10
I first decided I was going to "do" a triathlon in 1994. It wasn't until 13 years later, in 2007 that I actually did. Why did it take me 13 years to get to the starting line? The swim!

date : September 24, 2007
author : mrakes1
comments : 0
Discussions on salt tablets, AM workout nutrition, coffee, post workout nutrition, whey powder, recovery nutrition, losing weight, Recoverite usage, the necessity of sugars and snack ideas.
date : August 7, 2007
author : MegL
comments : 7
Do you see the bladder as half-full or half-empty? In this instance, it really doesn't matter how you look at it... you'd just better go.

date : November 9, 2006
author : McFuzz
How to join lap swimmers without making a splash. A primer on the social graces applied to swimming laps.