General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Swim Etiquette? Is there really such a thing? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 6

2013-08-01 12:26 PM

Subject: Swim Etiquette? Is there really such a thing?
A little background...just finished my first sprint triathlon (1 hour 28 minutes 32 sec). Distance (.25 mile swim, 12 mile bike, 3.1 mile run). The swim took me 10 minutes 42 seconds. The water was black from the debris from previous waves. Goggles were pointless except I needed them to keep my contacts "safe". I did all of my training using freestyle but I am just as fast at breast-stroke (much much better at it with much better technique). I REALLY wanted to do freestyle but ended up having to resort to a psuedo-breast stroke mostly because of not being able to see and some slight nerves. I did not panic really at any point because I knew I could resort to breast-stroke if I needed. I say psuedo-breast stroke because I was super careful with my kick since I didn't want to kick anyone in the stomach etc...As I am trying so hard to be careful and stay out of everyone's way...I got swam over almost completely, kicked multiple times with much more force by free-stylers. I'm pretty sure I can keep up with the pack...but I'm not one to literally swim OVER people. I guess my question is...what is proper swim etiquette. The main reason I let go of free-style is I just feel plain rude swimming over people. I also slightly freaked since it was so dark under the water (and it was brackish from pine tanins). I tried to swim to the side but it just wasn't working. I also tried freestyle throughout the swim but kept feeling bad that I was just smacking other people in the face and head. There were much slower people in front of me that I wish I could have passed. I could have done much better in the swim by at-least 2 full minutes if I just didn't care about other people. Other people didn't seem to give a crap about me. What is proper swim etiquette...I know I shouldn't breast-stroke...but it is so comfortable for me and I am faster than a lot of freestylers this way...it also helps me see who is around me so I can prevent kicking/smacking them... also need to work on sighting a lot less...

2013-08-01 12:41 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member
Subject: RE: Swim Etiquette? Is there really such a thing?

Technically, there is no "rule" that says you can't be aggressive on the swim. 

As a human being though, I make huge efforts not to. I have no issues spotting slower swimmers/weavers/other obstacles in the open water and making adjustments to go around - even in a mass start Ironman swim it was not an issue for me. Others, unfortunately, seem to not posses this skill and it's something you simply have to manage on race day.

Edited by lisac957 2013-08-01 12:41 PM
2013-08-01 12:42 PM
in reply to: skyblueclipse

User image

Expert
Greenville, SC
welcome to open water swim races. contact is part of the game, just don't try to give it out too much and don't take it personally.
2013-08-01 12:44 PM

User image

Pearland,Tx
Originally posted by skyblueclipse

A little background...just finished my first sprint triathlon (1 hour 28 minutes 32 sec). Distance (.25 mile swim, 12 mile bike, 3.1 mile run). The swim took me 10 minutes 42 seconds. The water was black from the debris from previous waves. Goggles were pointless except I needed them to keep my contacts "safe". I did all of my training using freestyle but I am just as fast at breast-stroke (much much better at it with much better technique). I REALLY wanted to do freestyle but ended up having to resort to a psuedo-breast stroke mostly because of not being able to see and some slight nerves. I did not panic really at any point because I knew I could resort to breast-stroke if I needed. I say psuedo-breast stroke because I was super careful with my kick since I didn't want to kick anyone in the stomach etc...As I am trying so hard to be careful and stay out of everyone's way...I got swam over almost completely, kicked multiple times with much more force by free-stylers. I'm pretty sure I can keep up with the pack...but I'm not one to literally swim OVER people. I guess my question is...what is proper swim etiquette. The main reason I let go of free-style is I just feel plain rude swimming over people. I also slightly freaked since it was so dark under the water (and it was brackish from pine tanins). I tried to swim to the side but it just wasn't working. I also tried freestyle throughout the swim but kept feeling bad that I was just smacking other people in the face and head. There were much slower people in front of me that I wish I could have passed. I could have done much better in the swim by at-least 2 full minutes if I just didn't care about other people. Other people didn't seem to give a crap about me. What is proper swim etiquette...I know I shouldn't breast-stroke...but it is so comfortable for me and I am faster than a lot of freestylers this way...it also helps me see who is around me so I can prevent kicking/smacking them... also need to work on sighting a lot less...

Just a little bit of warning with the experienced triathletes here. I am sure you will get lots of replies to "work on your freestyle", "practice more on freestyle" , call it a triathletes culture,but me personally " ITS YOUR LIFE OUT THERE" if you feel breaststroke keeps you are more comfortable and at peace so be it and finish the race with breaststroke. Just keep in mind to stay clear of the other swimmers because its true that a frog kick can whack someone and end their day instead of being slapped by a flutter kick. USAT does not rule on freestyle as the standard swim stroke so why alienate the swimmer who does breaststroke. I believe as long as your not harming someone and you finish under time you should be fine.

Fast freestyle swimmers overly criticize breaststroke swimmers, but the 20+ mph cyclist dont mind the 15mph riders nor the Sub 2 runners vs. the walkers.

2013-08-01 12:54 PM

User image

Getting swum over sucks.  I've been there.  But it's not really so much bad etiquette on the part of the person who swims over you.  Think of it from their perspective.  They may be posting a similar thread from their point of view saying that people don't have good swim etiquette because they don't seed themselves at the start properly.  Sometimes there is no room to the left or right to pass so they are left with no choice.  If they slow down to swim behind you and wait for an opening...it's quite possible they might get swum over by the person behind them that isn't willing to wait.

Neither person is right or wrong...it's just part of the deal with open water swim racing.

2013-08-01 1:09 PM
in reply to: Jason N

User image

Champion
Philly 'burbs
Originally posted by Jason N

Getting swum over sucks.  I've been there.  But it's not really so much bad etiquette on the part of the person who swims over you.  Think of it from their perspective.  They may be posting a similar thread from their point of view saying that people don't have good swim etiquette because they don't seed themselves at the start properly.  Sometimes there is no room to the left or right to pass so they are left with no choice.  If they slow down to swim behind you and wait for an opening...it's quite possible they might get swum over by the person behind them that isn't willing to wait.

Neither person is right or wrong...it's just part of the deal with open water swim racing.

Swimming over another person is wrong. Bumping, jostling, elbowing... sure. Actually swimming over someone? Wrong.

2013-08-01 1:43 PM

User image

Originally posted by mrbbrad

Swimming over another person is wrong. Bumping, jostling, elbowing... sure. Actually swimming over someone? Wrong.

That's your opinion.  Until someone shows me a rule book where bumping, jostling, and elbowing are legal techniques but swimming over someone is not legal...then I would suggest anyone who shares your opinion start at the very end of the swim (hopefully it's not a 2 loop course), stay away from open water swim races, or start your own races that enforce such rules.

I don't advocate swimming over someone, but I understand that it happens, and the best thing you can do is just deal with it.  Or take measures (such as starting farther back) to minimize it.  Believing that it's "wrong" isn't going to get you anything but furstration.

Edited by Jason N 2013-08-01 1:45 PM
2013-08-01 1:47 PM

User image

In your example I'm going to say there is a wrong and right. Intentionally swimming over someone is wrong. I've gone in the last wave of some races due to AG and have had to swim through one or two waves ahead. It's pretty easy to see when you are catching them and just as easy to take a line to the outside. Running over someone in the water is not safe. I understand it can happen unintentionally but to do so on purpose is irresponsible. Might as well run someone off the road on the bike also.
2013-08-01 1:56 PM

User image

Originally posted by MLPFS In your example I'm going to say there is a wrong and right. Intentionally swimming over someone is wrong. I've gone in the last wave of some races due to AG and have had to swim through one or two waves ahead. It's pretty easy to see when you are catching them and just as easy to take a line to the outside. Running over someone in the water is not safe. I understand it can happen unintentionally but to do so on purpose is irresponsible. Might as well run someone off the road on the bike also.

Again, I am not advocating swimming over anyone.  In my example, neither person is right or wrong...it's just part of open water swimming.  I have never done it myself as I'm not a fast enough swimmer, but it has happened to me.  90% of open water swimming is simply keeping your wits about yourself and staying calm in the scrum...so my advice is to just deal with it rather to think you've somehow been violated.

If I were to get swum over, and I got the race # of the person who did it, what do you think I should do about it?

A.  Deal with it...let it go, and continue on with my race?
B.  Go to the race director or rules official and report the athlete while filing a complaint?
C.  Confront the athlete after the race and demand an apology?

Running someone off the road on the bike is a totally different story.  There are rules against that as the person passing is responsible to do so safely.  Again...there are no such rules in the water.

Just remember that when you get in the water to do a race...YOU PAID TO DO THIS!

Edited by Jason N 2013-08-01 1:58 PM
2013-08-01 2:00 PM

User image

Elite
Cleveland

In tight packs, you just have to accept that there is going to be contact, and a lot of it. 

You don't have to swim OVER someone, though.  You can Tarzan a little and pick a line right on someone's side.  I've had to pick lanes between people that was only about a foot wide, but my only other option was to slow down to the point where I wouldn't get kicked in the face by them and try to move far enough outside.... during which time I would have been the one getting swam over.  So, in that situation, I made my own space by going between them, and I was between and past in a few strokes.  It was a two-loop swim, and I started my 2nd loop with another wave starting, so it was bound to happen, but that's life.

You are out there to race; and to race YOUR race.  Obviously you shouldn't be intentionally inflicting contact on people, nor should you ever do anything intentionally unsafe, but going and creating your own space to swim in during a crowded swim is just kinda part of the deal.

p.s. - I've also had someone (this last Sunday) swim perpendicular across my back - and it was MY fault.  I forgot to keep sighting and swam straight through at a turn buoy.... people going to make the turn were doing the normal and correct thing, I just wasn't aware of my surroundings.  So, when there is contact, think about the situation... you can be the cause without being the initiator.

2013-08-01 2:08 PM

User image

Champion
Philly 'burbs
Originally posted by mrbbrad

That's your opinion.  Until someone shows me a rule book where bumping, jostling, and elbowing are legal techniques but swimming over someone is not legal...then I would suggest anyone who shares your opinion start at the very end of the swim (hopefully it's not a 2 loop course), stay away from open water swim races, or start your own races that enforce such rules.

I don't advocate swimming over someone, but I understand that it happens, and the best thing you can do is just deal with it.  Or take measures (such as starting farther back) to minimize it.  Believing that it's "wrong" isn't going to get you anything but furstration.

I didn't say it was illegal, just wrong. Thanks for looking out for my welfare though, and suggesting I start in the back, but I'm just fine. I've never had anyone swim over me. Some have tried, all have failed.

2013-08-01 2:09 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
, Kobenhavns Kommune
First, nobody swim over other people out of disrespect or lack of care, nobody does it on purpose. Too often you get squashed between two swimmers, and somebody has to go under. Often you can't see far under water, and over it's a mess, people swim in all directions and the one you thought was at a safe distance, by the next stroke is heading to collision. Even if you see the swimmer you can't see if there's room to the side, if you stop, somebody from behind will swim over you. In short it's unavoidable, it's never personal or intentional. If it freaks you out, place yourself at the start to the side and back, and enjoy your swim.

Second, it's called freestyle because you can swim any style you like. Breast stroke or crawl, swim as you prefer. But, fast crawlers about people swimming breast stroke because it's slow, they take up a lot of space and frankly, that kick is dangerous: You can kick people unconscious, or they can loose an eye if take a hit to the face, not something harmless as loosing your goggles. The swim is not some sort of water kick boxing.

Breast stroke is slower - really you have to suck badly at crawl to be faster in breast stroke, sure, your breast stroke may be faster than somebody else's crawl, but consider your breast stroke to be slow and place yourself accordingly at the start. So, if you want to swim breast stroke, go ahead, but place yourself in the back and to the side where it's less crowded, and enjoy your swim.

BR

Edited by erik.norgaard 2013-08-01 2:14 PM
2013-08-01 2:14 PM
in reply to: erik.norgaard

User image

Champion
Philly 'burbs

Originally posted by erik.norgaard

First, nobody swim over other people out of disrespect or lack of care

Some do

nobody does it on purpose.

Again, some do

In short it's unavoidable

It's absolutely avoidable

it's never personal or intentional.

Sometimes it is.

2013-08-01 2:33 PM

User image

It kind of sounded like you were advocating it so I'm glad to hear your not. My reply to your question would be it depends on the situation. I've been OWS racing off and on for the better part of 25 years as compared to triathlons the last 5 years. The difference in the swimming between the two is as you alluded to is staying calm and keeping your wits about you and swim ability. That comes from experience which a lot of triathletes in AG racing just don't have. In a OWS when you're in a pack you're generally with people about your ability level and there is contact but mostly arm/hand stuff. In my experience around the turns by buoys is really the only spot you risk getting run over and that falls more into the accident category. So yes it can be a bit of a contact sport. For what do I think you should do = is keep your attitude of s... happens and move on. That is if it was unintentional. If someone in the act is clearly pulling on you, crossing your body and driving you down in the water to gain an advantage then that's where you really only have two options. Since it would be pretty difficult to get their number or recognize them to find them later you 1. can keep your s... happens attitude and move on or 2. give them an on the spot education which will probably motivate them not to try that tactic again. Number 2 is definitely not a safe response either but I do know it happens.

Edited by MLPFS 2013-08-01 2:47 PM
2013-08-01 2:42 PM
in reply to: MLPFS

User image

Pro
Bartlett, TN
IMO there is a big difference between contact and swimming over people.  I have made unintentional contact with people and I have been bumped and I get that, but I honestly believe that swimming over someone can be avoided and should be.
2013-08-01 2:43 PM

User image

Master
Kailua, Hawaii
I think as we move forward, "swim calming" methods will be introduced....which is happening already in Ironman races with their "SwimSmart" initiative

http://www.ironman.com/triathlon-news/articles/2013/05/swimsmart-in...

2013-08-01 3:10 PM

User image

Master
Swim Etiquette starts with learning to freestyle comfortably. I have seen a least one race state that they will pull you out of the race for using the breast stroke. The whip kick is dangerous and unless you have 360 degree vision you can not see people coming up from behind you.

Swimming over people happens all the time during swim team training sessions and no one gets hurt. If you are doing a pool swim and someone taps your feet, etiquette is to stop at the wall and let them pass.

Contact is unavoidable in open water swims but by using a smooth efficient stroke the impact can be minimal. Nobody is out to intentionally hurt you.

I would suggest you do a lot more OWS especially with a group and your next triathlon swim will be a much better experience

Edited by pschriver 2013-08-01 3:24 PM
2013-08-01 3:27 PM
in reply to: jford2309

User image

Expert
Greenville, SC
i don't think i've ever approached a situation in a swim and thought "yeah im going over that guy", but i have intentionally rolled over people to get to the outside of a cluster of people blocking up the course if i find myself surrounded.
2013-08-01 3:33 PM
in reply to: Clempson

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland
I think people also need to remember that first and foremost, a triathlon is a race, not swim fun time. If you want swim fun time you should stay out of the way. I'm not saying you should be intentionally swimming over people, but my goal is to get from point A to point B in the shortest possible time. I've worked my behind off to shave seconds off of that time. I'm not going to slow down and swim around you because you are unable to properly seed yourself and/or are unaware of your surroundings. It isn't meant to hurt you, but its going to happen from time to time.
2013-08-01 3:34 PM
in reply to: pschriver

User image

These things are only really allowed because they're impossible to police.

Personally I find the biggest threat is from breast strokers - the way your feet shoot back at an angle is just asking to dislocate a finger or smash someone painfully in the face. The contact from arms doing freestyle tends to be glancing - annoying but nowhere near as dangerous.

People who swim over others are idiots. It must take a lot of energy and it's not hard to realise that you're responsible for a pretty nasty experience for someone.

I'm a decent swimmer and it's not hard to swim round people. I do think some people exaggerate getting 'swum over' and really they've just had some considerable arm contact.

My wife saw a guy in tears getting out of the lake in IM Austria a few years ago - he'd trained for so long to get to the start line and got taking out after 200 metres by a breast stroke kick dislocating his finger.

So many people go into triathlon without learning to swim properly and I find it a real dilemma. I want more and more people to do the sport but I wish they would give it the respect it deserves and turn up to the start line being able to swim properly
2013-08-01 3:42 PM
in reply to: Dan-L

User image

Expert
Greenville, SC
Originally posted by Dan-L

Personally I find the biggest threat is from breast strokers - the way your feet shoot back at an angle is just asking to dislocate a finger or smash someone painfully in the face. The contact from arms doing freestyle tends to be glancing - annoying but nowhere near as dangerous.

People who swim over others are idiots. It must take a lot of energy and it's not hard to realise that you're responsible for a pretty nasty experience for someone.

I'm a decent swimmer and it's not hard to swim round people. I do think some people exaggerate getting 'swum over' and really they've just had some considerable arm contact.

My wife saw a guy in tears getting out of the lake in IM Austria a few years ago - he'd trained for so long to get to the start line and got taking out after 200 metres by a breast stroke kick dislocating his finger.

So many people go into triathlon without learning to swim properly and I find it a real dilemma. I want more and more people to do the sport but I wish they would give it the respect it deserves and turn up to the start line being able to swim properly

agreed. i got kicked in the face twice by breast strokers during my HIM. you can't feel the turbulence in the water like you can a flutter kick and know when you are coming up on someone quickly. wasn't until i was well into the bike leg that i realized how poorly that could have gone for me and how lucky i was to still be in the race.

2013-08-01 3:45 PM
in reply to: dmiller5

User image

Pro
NJ

Originally posted by dmiller5 I think people also need to remember that first and foremost, a triathlon is a race, not swim fun time. If you want swim fun time you should stay out of the way. I'm not saying you should be intentionally swimming over people, but my goal is to get from point A to point B in the shortest possible time. I've worked my behind off to shave seconds off of that time. I'm not going to slow down and swim around you because you are unable to properly seed yourself and/or are unaware of your surroundings. It isn't meant to hurt you, but its going to happen from time to time.

A couple thoughts. Not everyone that's slow thinks the swim is "fun time." I know you didn't say that but thought I'd share a view from the BOP. I'm slow but I've worked also worked my behind off to get there. And yes, I swim freestyle. I may be in front of you for reasons other than failing to seed myself properly or being unaware of my surroundings ie my wave leaves before yours and you catch me. This is the norm for me when I do longer (have done up to 2.4 OWS), or 2 loop, swims. Never thought it's intentional and am well aware it will happen from time to time. Doesn't mean it isn't unsettling. 

2013-08-01 3:58 PM
in reply to: dmiller5

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

Originally posted by dmiller5

I'm not going to slow down and swim around you because you are unable to properly seed yourself and/or are unaware of your surroundings.  

Just because you come up behind me does NOT mean I improperly seeded myself or are unaware of my surroundings. 99% of the time someone comes up behind me it's called a wave start and they started in the wave(s) behind me. 

If anything, it's the person BEHIND me who is aggressively unaware of their surroundings. How can I be aware of the person BEHIND me LOL?!

I would never ask someone to slow down but don't think it's unreasonable to ask that they not intentionally grab my hips/legs/etc and shove them left or right - this has happened multiple times to me, in fairly open water. Makes no sense. Just go around.

2013-08-01 3:59 PM
in reply to: Dan-L

User image

Master
Originally posted by Dan-L

I agree that swimming over someone is not a good idea but if someone is doing the breast stroke at ~2:30/100 pace and is trying to stay in the middle of the pack, it is a problem.The safest place to pass is close to his body and that means going over his legs and arms. Trying to go around him while he is kicking his legs and arms outward is dangerous and hard especially if you are stuck in traffic on the opposite side. It is also naive to think you can do the breast stoke as fast as most freestylers. IMHO in is a dangerous stroke in mass swims. I think it is fine if there is a breast stoke wave or you seed yourself appropriately far back, but to do the breast stroke in a place where you are blocking faster swimmers is bad etiquette and dangerous. I have yet to be in a swim where you couldn't go wayyyy to the outside and swim untouched. Maybe this was in a creek or canal.

2013-08-01 4:04 PM
in reply to: lisac957

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland
Originally posted by lisac957

Originally posted by dmiller5

I'm not going to slow down and swim around you because you are unable to properly seed yourself and/or are unaware of your surroundings.  

Just because you come up behind me does NOT mean I improperly seeded myself or are unaware of my surroundings. 99% of the time someone comes up behind me it's called a wave start and they started in the wave(s) behind me. 

If anything, it's the person BEHIND me who is aggressively unaware of their surroundings. How can I be aware of the person BEHIND me LOL?!

I would never ask someone to slow down but don't think it's unreasonable to ask that they not intentionally grab my hips/legs/etc and shove them left or right - this has happened multiple times to me, in fairly open water. Makes no sense. Just go around.

Agreed, if I'm coming up behind you I should clearly go around. I meant to more reference the very beginning of the race when people go into the front of the wave, then start breast stroking as the gun goes off. Thats their own fault. If you are in clear(ish) water swimmin your own pace from the wave in front of me, I'm taking a nice couple strokes of draft and zipping around you. I wouldn't try and push someone (especially a lady).
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Swim Etiquette? Is there really such a thing? Rss Feed  

of 6

RELATED POSTS

Things you really want to hear (Tri is good for you)

Started by BrianRunsPhilly
Views: 1052 Posts: 5

2012-05-24 6:48 AM jbrookscga78

Swim Start Etiquette..such a thing? Pages: 1 2

Started by FELTGood
Views: 2891 Posts: 35

2011-04-12 8:42 AM brucemorgan

Really really hungry after swimming? Pages: 1 2

Started by jessica71980
Views: 5516 Posts: 34

2010-01-23 9:46 PM SWIM2LIVE

Bike helmet = really good thing

Started by SevenZulu
Views: 1438 Posts: 16

2009-03-23 2:17 PM ried0428

This training thing really works!

Started by akabak
Views: 591 Posts: 2

2005-06-27 11:29 AM CLLinIA
RELATED ARTICLES
date : July 18, 2011
author : garyhallsr
comments : 5
World-record swimmer gives advice on correct breathing technique

date : September 3, 2010
author : Scott Tinley
comments : 1
Stripped of its three-figure entry fees and five figure bikes, when the gun goes off it's still a bunch of crazies doing three sports for a thousand reasons.
date : October 29, 2008
author : Tri Swim Coach
comments : 0
Triathlon swim training discussions on the pull, open water swimming all year, winter swim focus, bilateral breathing during a race and Ironman swim training in 6 weeks.

date : May 5, 2008
author : TriPainter
I went into the pool area (as this was a pool swim) and got body marked. That's when it hit me that I was there to race - this was not a clinic.
date : March 17, 2008
author : randomescape
comments : 10
I first decided I was going to "do" a triathlon in 1994. It wasn't until 13 years later, in 2007 that I actually did. Why did it take me 13 years to get to the starting line? The swim!

date : September 24, 2007
author : mrakes1
comments : 0
Discussions on salt tablets, AM workout nutrition, coffee, post workout nutrition, whey powder, recovery nutrition, losing weight, Recoverite usage, the necessity of sugars and snack ideas.
date : August 7, 2007
author : MegL
comments : 7
Do you see the bladder as half-full or half-empty? In this instance, it really doesn't matter how you look at it... you'd just better go.

date : November 9, 2006
author : McFuzz
How to join lap swimmers without making a splash. A primer on the social graces applied to swimming laps.