General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Mayo Lake Sprint Tri - Roxboro - Need feedback Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-08-02 3:01 PM

User image

Veteran
Wilson, NC (East of Raleigh, NC)
Subject: Mayo Lake Sprint Tri - Roxboro - Need feedback
Mayo Lake Tri:

Did anyone do this last year or in the past? I drove up yesterday drove the bike course and really concerned with the gravel you need to go on for at least .25 mile in and out of the park. I love the look of the lake and swim and excited by the trail run, but the gravel on a tri bike scares me. What have you done, or give me your pros and cons.

I just moved to NC last fall, so don't know all the in's and out of racing down here just yet ;o) THANKS FOR THE FEEDBACK!

2013-08-03 3:19 PM
in reply to: orreo5859

User image

Master
Chapel Hill, NC
Subject: RE: Mayo Lake Sprint Tri - Roxboro - Need feedback
Originally posted by orreo5859

Mayo Lake Tri:

Did anyone do this last year or in the past? I drove up yesterday drove the bike course and really concerned with the gravel you need to go on for at least .25 mile in and out of the park. I love the look of the lake and swim and excited by the trail run, but the gravel on a tri bike scares me. What have you done, or give me your pros and cons.

I just moved to NC last fall, so don't know all the in's and out of racing down here just yet ;o) THANKS FOR THE FEEDBACK!

I did this race a couple years ago and do not recall any gravel on the bike course. I don't think FS Series would do that to us athletes. Have you compared the race maps to the site you scoped out? Maybe you were in the wrong spot??? I do remember the bike course being quite a bit hilly, the second half harder, so be sure to save some energy for that. Run was very nice trail. Good luck~!
2013-08-05 9:34 AM
in reply to: orreo5859

User image

Expert
Apex, NC
Originally posted by orreo5859

Mayo Lake Tri:

Check out past race reports. I did it in 2010, and it was fun. The bike course doesn't start down in the big gravel parking lot by the bike ramp; it starts near the amphitheater up from the lake. I had no issues with gravel at all. The road might've been a little bit rough due to chipseal-like paving, but it was no issue.

That said, I am advising a friend who is doing IMMT the following weekend NOT to use it as a last tuneup race; too many opportunities for injury on that trail run with an IM the next weekend!
2013-09-06 7:25 AM
in reply to: keyone

User image

Veteran
Wilson, NC (East of Raleigh, NC)
You are correct I scoped the wrong spot. )

I did the race and it was probably the toughest sprint tri I have ever done. I enjoyed it though, and will be back on the schedule for 2014!!!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Mayo Lake Sprint Tri - Roxboro - Need feedback Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Anyone doing the Mayo Lake Tri?

Started by roxanne815
Views: 1661 Posts: 16

2011-08-14 1:48 PM djhuff7

Mayo Lake Tri Run vs. TriLatta Run

Started by gts
Views: 1240 Posts: 6

2010-07-20 11:43 AM gts

Mayo Lake Pages: 1 2 3

Started by triiton4size
Views: 5367 Posts: 67

2010-08-08 8:09 PM triiton4size

Anyone doing the Mayo Lake tri? Pages: 1 2

Started by jrj0924
Views: 2615 Posts: 35

2009-08-18 12:53 PM aaprimo10

Mayo Lake Triathlon September 6th

Started by keyone
Views: 744 Posts: 1

2008-08-05 2:33 PM keyone
RELATED ARTICLES
date : January 26, 2012
author : dantheman1123
comments : 1
My first triathlon was at age 56. At first I was just the cameraman at my daughter's first triathlon, then I am doing the races that she has done.

date : March 4, 2010
author : alex jb
comments : 0
The triathlon made a lot of sense as I could fit the training around early mornings and other times that wouldn't eat too much into my family time. Things never go completely to plan do they?
date : October 7, 2008
author : gczarski
This past spring I realized a few of us were heading in the wrong direction physically. We were getting together for poker games and kids’ birthdays, but that was it.

date : September 8, 2008
author : pjwalzphd
comments : 2
When I told my husband that I planned to work toward completing a sprint triathlon, he smiled and was supportive, but a bit disbelieving.
date : August 20, 2008
author : Tri Swim Coach
I'm doing my first tri Saturday. It starts at 7 AM and the forecast is calling for a high of 82 (air temp). Do I need to rush out and get a wetsuit?

date : April 1, 2008
author : trvw
The challenge? The accomplishment? I want to do this because it is an opportunity to live life. The event is an indoor sprint triathlon. I get to experience the challenge on a safer scale.
date : August 10, 2007
author : Terese Luikens
The first time I ventured into the deep murky green lake and could not see the bottom my muscles tensed and my imagined fears surfaced. What exactly lies beneath?

date : December 31, 2006
author : TriSquirrel
comments : 2
A description of my experiences during my first triathlon. It was a great experience. I’m in better shape than I’ve ever been.