General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Run training Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-08-02 9:26 PM

Subject: Run training
During my training for my HIM I got up to about 30 mpw. I decided, after the HIM, that I was going to reset my running so I started following the Barry P plan. My question is mostly in regards to how far to increase my mileage before I level off. When I reset my mileage I started, last week, at 20 mpw (3x2mi, 2x4mi, 1x6mi). I am not really sure where I should max out on. Right now I am basically training for a Ragnar trail run (total of 15 miles over the race). Otherwise I am mostly going to be doing olys next year (maybe a few sprints). In two months (based on 10% increase/week) I will be at about 43 mpw. Does that seem like a reasonable place to stop and start adding in some tempo runs and/or speed work? Should I keep increasing my base? I don't know how much I am really willing to devote to running, but I think 43 miles is maybe close as that is going to be close to 6-7 hours/week. I could maybe go up a little bit further (maybe 50 mpw). What do other people do for run training when they really aren't training for anything specific?

2013-08-02 9:33 PM
in reply to: stebaldi

User image

Master
University Park, MD
Subject: RE: Run training
I'm a fan of the BarryP run program. My background is as a track runner with lots of high intensity work, but the run-often-and-steady approach has been a godsend for me in my mid 40s. I'm happy if I can get to a steady-state running mileage in the 40-50 mpw range. I'll gladly do that if I'm not training for anything in particular, and it puts me in shape to tackle any distance up to HM without any additional preparation. Then I can add more running, biking, or swimming to that, depending on what I might be preparing for at the time, and depending on work, travel etc.

Note that while it's a useful rule of thumb to not increase by more than 10% a week, do listen to your body if you're increasing mileage by 10% *every* week. For some that will be ok, for others it could be risky.
2013-08-02 10:36 PM
in reply to: colinphillips

Yeah, I figured, at worst, that I could increase by 10% every week up to the 30 mpw I was doing before resetting without much problem. I am going to play it by ear. I was just curious on where people capped their weekly mileage if not training for everything. I set up my training plan in excel and increasing by 10% every week puts me at 163 mpw by the end of the year which is obviously not very realistic (I was just putting the calculations into excel). So I was trying to figure out where would be a happy medium between having enough of a base to start adding in tempo runs/speed work for olympic distance training vs. running too much volume in general. I think my approach to having about 5-6 hours of running/week is probably where I will cap it as that will give me enough free time to add in a couple of swims and bikes in the off-season as well without feeling like I am burning out.
2013-08-02 10:39 PM
in reply to: stebaldi

User image

New user

If you are training for mostly Oly's I would worry less about increasing above 30 mpw and work more on your speed and tempo work - and hill repeats if you have them available. The only way I know of to run faster is to run faster.
2013-08-02 11:10 PM
in reply to: DJBurton65

User image

Master
University Park, MD
Originally posted by DJBurton65

The only way I know of to run faster is to run faster.

Surprisingly, there are other ways.

The optimal mix depends a LOT on an individual's overall resilience. But it's quite possible to run faster simply by running lots. I never believed it before I tried it. And I'm still mystified by why it seems to work. But since it reduces my injuries, I'm happy to continue.

In all of my running this year, I think I've run one mile as fast as half marathon race pace. On the other hand, I do get in some high intensity workouts on the bike.
2013-08-03 1:02 PM

User image

New user

Originally posted by colinphillips

Surprisingly, there are other ways.

The optimal mix depends a LOT on an individual's overall resilience. But it's quite possible to run faster simply by running lots. I never believed it before I tried it. And I'm still mystified by why it seems to work. But since it reduces my injuries, I'm happy to continue.

In all of my running this year, I think I've run one mile as fast as half marathon race pace. On the other hand, I do get in some high intensity workouts on the bike.

More running will make you faster in that you will be able to maintain a pace longer due to increased muscle endurance and the ability to clear lactic acid and utilize fat stores, but for short races like the international distance and below you need to work on building strength and improving your mechanics. Logging lots of miles just doesn't improve these things in the same way that speed and strength work does.

2013-08-03 1:19 PM
in reply to: DJBurton65

User image

Master
University Park, MD
Originally posted by DJBurton65

More running will make you faster in that you will be able to maintain a pace longer due to increased muscle endurance and the ability to clear lactic acid and utilize fat stores, but for short races like the international distance and below you need to work on building strength and improving your mechanics. Logging lots of miles just doesn't improve these things in the same way that speed and strength work does.

Yes, this is what I thought too, until I got tired of being injured so much and got into a regimen of daily steady running. The results were eye-opening for me. I tried it based on the reports of others here who had reported similarly surprising results. I do almost all of my running at 7:00-7:30 per mile, but haven't experienced any biomechanical problems running at 5:45 pace in shorter races. I think the mechanics issues would kick in at around 5:20-5:30/mile, which would only be a problem if I was racing open 3k distances.

Next question is: why does this seem to work for running, when nobody is arguing that it works for cycling? The answers here are woefully lacking. The best guess that I can make is that the mileage contributes to the body's ability to sustain eccentric muscle contractions, and that gains in this ability transfer across different running paces. But I'll admit that it's far from clear why this works.
2013-08-03 1:45 PM

User image

Lenexa, KS
I'd agree that it depends on the individual in regards to age, current conditioning and goals as far as that mix of mileage versus speed goes. I personally am affected very positively with additional aerobic mileage.

OP, if you aren't training for anything specific then I think the answer is as simple as do what you want as long as you're recovering quick enough and you feel like its sufficient for you. When you're training for something specific then that sheds light on what kind of mileage and intensity goes into something. For example since my only competitive season is now in the summer months I'll build mileage between September and February/March before really starting to get back on the track for speed stuff. I'll add in a fartlek or very short tempo over base season since I've been at this a while (to keep the legs and mind fresh), but base building is about increasing mileage during that stage in the season.

I currently train for Oly's and am running on average 26 miles per week with 1 dedicated speed day and every other week an additional speed day that's a bike/run mixture. When I was training strictly running in college I was running 70 miles per week (5k during track season was my event). Mileage is a slave to your purpose (which I believe is general fitness now?) and not the other way around. My two bits for what its worth.
2013-08-03 3:09 PM
in reply to: funkj25

That is kind of where I was going to settle in for my training. Like I said, I am training for a trail relay, but that is not super mileage intensive (more mentally exhaustive as it's over a long span of time). My only real big race coming up is St. George 70.3 next year, but I figured I would probably try to increase my mileage and get a good base so I can have increased fitness by the time I need to start training for that race.

Originally posted by funkj25

I'd agree that it depends on the individual in regards to age, current conditioning and goals as far as that mix of mileage versus speed goes. I personally am affected very positively with additional aerobic mileage.

OP, if you aren't training for anything specific then I think the answer is as simple as do what you want as long as you're recovering quick enough and you feel like its sufficient for you. When you're training for something specific then that sheds light on what kind of mileage and intensity goes into something. For example since my only competitive season is now in the summer months I'll build mileage between September and February/March before really starting to get back on the track for speed stuff. I'll add in a fartlek or very short tempo over base season since I've been at this a while (to keep the legs and mind fresh), but base building is about increasing mileage during that stage in the season.

I currently train for Oly's and am running on average 26 miles per week with 1 dedicated speed day and every other week an additional speed day that's a bike/run mixture. When I was training strictly running in college I was running 70 miles per week (5k during track season was my event). Mileage is a slave to your purpose (which I believe is general fitness now?) and not the other way around. My two bits for what its worth.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Run training Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Incorporating a 50k trail run training into triathlon training

Started by neilcarter
Views: 2481 Posts: 10

2013-08-04 9:32 AM tedjohn

Swim Training, vs Run training

Started by verga
Views: 1023 Posts: 4

2010-12-24 12:47 PM Aholloway

Bike training similar to run training?

Started by cornfed
Views: 631 Posts: 2

2009-10-24 1:14 PM rc63413

Run training and links to training by HR

Started by Jeepguy2358
Views: 896 Posts: 4

2009-04-10 10:43 AM sax

Lessons learned from run training....

Started by dhyte
Views: 1593 Posts: 10

2004-02-15 6:36 PM Shrike
RELATED ARTICLES
date : January 21, 2013
author : mikericci
comments : 0
How and when to include speed sessions, tempo training and hill training into your running program.

date : September 24, 2007
comments : 1
This article will show you how to construct a run training program for your second season of running using your calculated heart-rate zones.
date : November 9, 2006
author : BobbyMcgee
How long should the 1st long run of a new season be and how to determine volumes when beginning training for a specific event.

date : October 2, 2006
author : mikericci
comments : 9
Studies have shown a correlation between pedaling at a high cadence and running at a high cadence, which leads to faster running. The shorter your ground contact time , the less chance for injury.
date : January 1, 2006
author : Iron MaYden
The book also addresses topics such as properly fueling for racing, includes 20 key strength training exercises, and also contains a section on how complete a fast bike-to-run transition.

date : January 30, 2005
author : sekhmet
We can no longer say “I’ll start training next year” or “let me just get through the holidays”- it IS next year and I, for one, am more than through with the holidays.
date : October 10, 2004
author : Team BT
The ONLY way to compete in my first triathlon was to do it on my BMX. I’m no professional—nor do I aspire to be one, I just want to be fit and healthy.

date : October 3, 2004
author : adumey
One of my fears, besides the radioactive material content of the Hudson River, was the water temperature. I found the water was much warmer as I inched closer to the holding dock.