General Discussion Triathlon Talk » pedals and cleats Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-08-05 7:39 AM

User image

Subject: pedals and cleats
I am very new to this (I have done one tri and have signed up for 3 more) and am using my road bike for triathlons. I have Speedplay pedals and cleats, which I like because of the dual sided entry. However, I am not sure they are the best option for tris. Speedplay cleats tend to get clogged with grass and mud very easily and they are notoriously difficult to walk in. I can see how they could cause problems running through transitions. I am not nearly coordinated enough at this point to have my shoes already clipped in to the pedals before I mount the bike, so that isn't an option.

What kind of pedals and cleats do people use for tris?

2013-08-05 7:43 AM
in reply to: happyscientist

User image

Expert
Is this Heaven? No, it's Iowa.
Subject: RE: pedals and cleats

I use Speed Play and I love them.  During tris, I have them already clipped in on the bike and I just run in my bare feet.  Hop on my bike, slide my feet in my tri shoes, cinch them up and off I go.  When I come back torwards transition, I undo the velcro, ride on top of my shoes, hop off my bike at the dismount line and run again in my bare feet.

Works pretty well.

Caution!  If you want to do this, you should practice it several times and not attempt it on race day for the first time.  (learned this the hard way LOL.)

2013-08-05 8:09 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Connecticut
Speedplays are plenty popular, but your points are valid. If you're not exiting transition with your shoes clipped in and the transition area is grassy and muddy, you might have a problem. Then again, you might have a problem with a positive cleat, ala look-style, as well, since that could also pick up some crud. If this is an ongoing concern, I'd look to some cyclocross friends for what they are doing, as they have to deal with mud and dirt as a factor of the race.

From my experience, I see *either* Speedplay or Look pedals and cleats on the rack next to me, and I ride Mavic, which is Look compatible, but I also leave my shoes clipped in most times.
2013-08-05 8:19 AM

User image

Master
Central Indiana
Although I love Looks for my long biking events, I've gone back to Shimano SPD-SL for tri's. I also know a number of athletes who have gone back to old-style SPD (MTB-style) cleats too. I know it's the fashion to have shoes clipped into the bike for T1, but honestly I think it saves pretty minimal net time for most AGers. Timing myself in T1, it takes me approx 5-10 sec to put on & strap my tri shoes. Over the rough surfaces of most local transition areas I can run MUCH faster in my SPD-SL's & tri shoes than I can barefoot, and once I clip in on the bike I can start hammering immediately rather than pedaling on tops of the shoes & slowing to slip feet into shoes & strap in.

I agree 100% that SpeedPlays are not great to walk/run in & get dirty-fouled easily. I never found Speedplays to be a great advantage for pure road riding either, although I know many who love 'em.
2013-08-05 2:05 PM
in reply to: Oldteen

User image

Originally posted by Oldteen

Although I love Looks for my long biking events, I've gone back to Shimano SPD-SL for tri's. I also know a number of athletes who have gone back to old-style SPD (MTB-style) cleats too. I know it's the fashion to have shoes clipped into the bike for T1, but honestly I think it saves pretty minimal net time for most AGers. Timing myself in T1, it takes me approx 5-10 sec to put on & strap my tri shoes. Over the rough surfaces of most local transition areas I can run MUCH faster in my SPD-SL's & tri shoes than I can barefoot, and once I clip in on the bike I can start hammering immediately rather than pedaling on tops of the shoes & slowing to slip feet into shoes & strap in.

I agree 100% that SpeedPlays are not great to walk/run in & get dirty-fouled easily. I never found Speedplays to be a great advantage for pure road riding either, although I know many who love 'em.

I was wondering about MTB cleats and pedals. I definitely want dual sided entry, or maybe the egg beater style. They seem like they would be easier to run in, too.

It would be years before I would consider one of those flying mount/dismount maneuvers with the shoes attached to the pedals. That is an accident waiting to happen.
2013-08-06 10:50 AM

User image

Master
Sin City
I got Speedplays as well. I may have a harder time clipping in those than my Looks. I don't do any flying mounts either.

Have you looked into Kool Kovers? The advantage of Speedplays is these covers will cover only the metal part of it, yet you can still clip in AND you can run/ walk in them. I would highly recommend that you get these if you love your speedplays.

2013-08-06 12:37 PM

User image

Master
Loughborough, England
I have always ridden with Look pedals. I like the wider platform that they offer over Speedplays.

I'm in need of a new set though and am still deciding between a straight replacement of Look Keo pedals or going with a Shimano alternative (also with a wide base).
2013-08-06 1:17 PM
in reply to: CyborgQueen

User image

Originally posted by CyborgQueen

I got Speedplays as well. I may have a harder time clipping in those than my Looks. I don't do any flying mounts either.

Have you looked into Kool Kovers? The advantage of Speedplays is these covers will cover only the metal part of it, yet you can still clip in AND you can run/ walk in them. I would highly recommend that you get these if you love your speedplays.

I haven't tried those, but I think I have seen them at the LBS. I'll look next time I am there.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » pedals and cleats Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

which to purchase first - aerobars or pedals and cleats Pages: 1 2

Started by matto21
Views: 2614 Posts: 32

2010-05-11 1:28 PM E=H2O

Pedal and cleat installation

Started by scrappy62
Views: 7034 Posts: 11

2008-04-26 12:07 PM scrappy62

Need cleat/pedal adjustment help ASAP!

Started by OldAg92
Views: 1231 Posts: 8

2006-04-10 7:59 AM vortmax

Do I need cleats, pedals & shoes

Started by taskeri
Views: 970 Posts: 8

2004-08-13 3:52 PM ginger ninja

Fitting...Cleats/Pedals...Fall....Broken....

Started by stevenrh
Views: 813 Posts: 4

2004-05-14 1:33 PM dhlundblad
RELATED ARTICLES
date : February 16, 2011
author : FitWerx
comments : 2
Road cyclists tend to have a higher cadence than triathletes. Why is this? Is it bad?

date : February 6, 2010
comments : 0
The correct cleat orientation and float for a rider is dependent on their individual foot, pedaling mechanics, and cleat position.
date : January 8, 2010
How do I know if my cleats need to be adjusted? And how do you know in which direction to adjust them? I have been having medial knee pain and edema but my LBS says the cleat placement is fine.

date : April 19, 2009
author : EnduranceFilms
comments : 15
Learn what the proper pedaling technique looks like and how to become a more efficient and economical cyclist.
date : September 9, 2008
What is your opinion on cleat position? Is there a general rule that you follow when you first fit an athlete?

date : June 11, 2007
author : sportfactory
Learning about the proper pedal interface, how to best acheive pedal force, good cycling form and bike fit, we can learn to achieve greater bike speed.
date : December 7, 2006
author : Rich Strauss
comments : 1
By becoming more aware of your pedal stroke, you can choose to manipulate where and how you activate your leg muscles as your foot traces the circular trajectory at the cranks.

date : July 30, 2006
author : AMSSM
I started riding this spring with the Carnac shoes on Look pedals (with plenty of float). About five minutes into a ride I get sharp pain on the outer edge of my feet, just behind the pedal.