United States
World Triathlon Corporation
Overcast
Total Time = 13h 20m 33s
Overall Rank = 1250/2537
Age Group = M45-49
Age Group Rank = 181/340
Pre-race routine:

Started "pre-race" during the week - biked the run course on Thursday, and had a short run on Friday to stay loose. On Saturday, my brother took us to Loon Lake to get out on the water - I took an easy swim, and the kids went tubing/water skiing using my bro's boat - very relaxing.

Had pasta and hamburger for dinner and went to bed around 830pm. I didnt sleep very well, but got enough. Alarm went off at 3:15am, but I was already awake. My brother lives in Vermontville, which is about 35 minutes away from LP (I timed it 3 times during the week). I left the house at 3:50am and ate a bagel with PB, and had coffee. Chugged 2 G1 drinks as well. Arrived at the Wesvalley Road parking lot at 4:20am and hopped on the bus - all on time and good. Met up with Bill, Ralph and Anthony on the bus - good timing!

Went into transition and unloaded water bottles and got air topped off. Ate some Gatorade chews and sipped water along the way. Went to visit my bags and changed out the darker lenses on my glasses with lighter ones, since it was sprinkling and overcast and not expected to be sunny. Packed the morning clothes bag and hung it up.

Left transition and hung out with Bill/Ant/Ralph - Ralph's kid took my Special Needs bags to drop off - what a great kid! Saw Dave C as well and said hello. Proceeded down to the beach to hangout and wait. Chugged my X2 about 30 minutes prior to start (as recommended) and had a few more chews, then got the wet suit on. Didn't have time for a final bathroom check - the lines were ridiculous.

Event warmup:

Did a short swim by the beach just to get acclimated. Felt strangely calm - usually I am pretty hyped up. I slotted myself in the 1:01-1:10 group, which I admit was aggressive, but I was toward the back of the group and the next one (1:11-1:20) was packed. The aura of the event was was unbeleiveable and I took a few moments to think and reflect - I was amazed that I was ready to start an Ironman, 5 years after being in the hosptial, 50 pounds heavier than I am now, with a obliterated ACL and MCL. 20 Triathlons and countless training hours later - here I am. My family is here too - the first time they will see me in a race - and everything is right. Deep breath.
Swim
  • 1h 12m 10s
  • 4224 yards
  • 01m 43s / 100 yards
Comments:

Wow - lots of contact. Not sure if this is better or worse than the mass start, since I never experienced that, but this was pretty rough. Got my goggles knocked early and had water in the eye, but flushed it out without much issue. Numerous other kicks and hits, but no knock-out blows. My sighting and navigation was very poor - I started just following the crowd, which was good for drafting, but not so good for finding an efficient route. My stamina was good and I felt strong the entire way, but was frustrated with my lack of visibility to the markers - I breath on the left, so that compounded the issue. Regardless, I finished strong and in hindsight I am happy with the time.
What would you do differently?:

Better sighting - should have swam the course on Thu or Fri to practice. Last year when I swam it (prior to volunteering) the route was counter-clockwise, which fits my left side breathing better. I would have benefitted from swimming it clockwise ahead of time.
Transition 1
  • 08m 21s
Comments:

Wet suit strippers - very cool. I want one for every race now! After that experience (my first), jogged to T1, found my bag and started assembling myself for 112 miles. Had a great volunteer helping get everything lined up. The tent was much darker and "stuffier" than I expected - no air flow at all - seems like that could be improved without compromising any modesty issues. As I left the tent, I was interested to experience the bike hand off, since that was one of my jobs from last year. They called my number on the bull horn, but I could tell that the volunteers had already entered the panic mode that happens when the hoards start coming over the hill from the swim. I could see that no one was near my bike and the girl closest to that row was frazzled already, so I went and got it myself. Too bad, I was looking forward to the running hand-off. No big deal though.

I was a bit slow, but in the whole scheme of things, who cares! I wish they had the bike ready, but the group was hustling so I cant complain.
Bike
  • 6h 44m 42s
  • 112 miles
  • 16.60 mile/hr
Comments:

I left the swim in 733rd place and left bike in 1186th, so I guess I got passed by 453 people, and it felt that way for sure. I was fast in the first split - 20.15 mph - although I was not trying to compete and didnt feel like I was going that hard. Probably was a mistake though. The Keene descent was hairy - wet and super fast - I was about 45mph and was getting passed. At the end of that my bike computer crapped out - so I had no accurate mph the rest of the ride - sucked. My first lap was a bith over 3 hrs and all went well - finished my first bottle of Perpetuem, had a few Gu's, drank some water. Saw family in Wilmington and gave a fist pump - felt good. My bro was banging the drum he found in the dump (perfect!) and my wife and daughter were jumping around - it was great to see them and know they were enjoying it. A big boost. The first time through the Papa Bear summit was awesome with a huge vocal crowd (the crowds were great everywhere, for that matter!). Stopped at Special Needs and grabbed my second Perpetuem, my Crustable PBJ, and stuffed my extra tube and cartridge in my back pocket just in case. Perfect. The ride through town was awesome - felt like a rockstar. Started the second loop, and my first split was 18.70 mph, which isnt horrible, but way down from loop 1. I definitely felt slower, although I had no data. I could feel myself fading into Ausable Forks and struggled up the hill to Wilmington. I tried to recover on the out/back on Haselton so I could put on a good face if the family was still in their spot - thankfully they were, which gave me a huge lift emotionally - I was in a bad place and that helped immensely. When I crossed the gorge, I suddenly had a hamstring cramp, and had to stop brielfy, but chugged some Perform and got back going reasonably fast - maybe a 5 minute stop. Perpetuem was gone at this point and I had switched to Perform - not too good, I must say. Anyway, I limped back into town - the crowd on the Bears was very much thinned out so I knew I was slow. Came back into transition and handed off my bike (my second shift last year) and walked to the run tent.

Take the advice of others and pace better on long rides like this. My last split was pathetic (13.37 mph) - clearly I was falling apart. Otherwise, no major issues. I am a not-so-good biker compared to peers. I thought about not having a Tri-bike or aerobars or fancy helmet - all of which are supposed to help - but I am still happy I stayed with my bike and equipment. If it cost me 10-15 minutes, then so be it.
Transition 2
  • 10m 7s
Comments:

Actually felt OK strangely enough. No cramps. Got my bag and found a seat. Once again, a great volunteer to help. Changed my shirt, chugged an X2, took my time with shoes - my feet were somewhat uncomfortable after almost 7 hours in bike shoes. Socks and sneakers felt great! Had a Gu as well.

Take a shower?
Run
  • 5h 05m 13s
  • 26.2 miles
  • 11m 39s  min/mile
Comments:

Lost 73 places during the run - interesting since I felt like I was passing more then being passed. Anyway, this was the part of the day I feared the most,and it lived up to it. I started out great - 8:45 pace at the first split - legs felt way better than I expected. Of course, this was mostly downhill and flat. Out on River Road, I started slowing down on the rollers. I was having Gu and walking through the stops to make sure I got water and Perform. Coming back, I ran the hill by the jumps but walked most of the hill coming into Main St. On the out/back on Mirror Lake Rd, I started feeling lousy in my stomach and could not continue Gu or Perform - almost heaved. I changed my socks at Special Needs and tried to press on but had to stop and almost threw up again. Sort of pulled it back together coming back into town and saw Dave/Mar at the corner - good inspiration. Only 13 to go. Picked up a bit going back out, but again, River Road killed me - I was suffering and knew I needed calories, but I couldnt stomach anything. I tried Coke and that seemed to be OK, so I stayed on that for awhile. Was in a run/walk cycle now and felt like I was just hanging on for dear life. I walked up the hill from the jumps and decided to try the famous Chicken Broth - it was perfect - not sweet, thank God. I got a good pace going along the flat part back into town then walked the big hill to Main St again. Summoned the strength to run through town, but walked a good portion of Mirror Lake Road so I could be sure to have something left for the finish. Started getting very psyched at the thought of the oval. Hit the crowds and started running again, through the town and into the oval - what a feeling! As I circled, I was delirious - couldnt really even look around. I got passed by some dick head (I reminded myself that it is a race, so I forgave him), then slowed so I wouldnt be too close to him. The I heard the voice, and became an Ironman!!!

MY nutrition blew up when I couldnt take anymore sweet Gu/Perform/etc. Didnt have a back up plan - still not sure what I would have done differently, but that was my major flaw in the run.
Post race
Warm down:

Pretty much collapsed into the awesome volunteers. They gave me my stuff then found me a chair. Then I got up for the picture - managed to smile and look like I was still alive. I couldnt eat or drink anything other than water. I could barely talk - I was emotionally and physically spent. Started walking out and they stopped me at medical just in case - I was coherent, but just plain spent. My brother found me and got me out, then I changed and madethe long trek to the bus stop to get to the truck. My bro had already loaded my bike and nasty bags. My wife and daughter were holding my hands, and I could tell that even my son was proud. I could not have asked for anything better.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

FItness and nutirion - however, I am happy and content with my Ironman experience.

Event comments:

Greatest event I have done by far. Volunteers and fans were awesome. I cant imagine doing IM again, after such a special experience. Having Laura and the kids there was incredibly special and inspirational. Dave and Mar were super people and so supportive. Later that night, I was able to have a beer and relax - it was the best feeling ever (outside of wedding and kids). I hope I never forget my feelings circling the oval and that night in the chair reminiscing with my favorite people in the world.

Last updated: 2012-10-14 12:00 AM
Swimming
01:12:10 | 4224 yards | 01m 43s / 100yards
Age Group: 83/340
Overall: 733/2537
Performance: Average
Suit: Sleeveless Pro-Action
Course: New start this year with self seeding by expected finish time. Contiuousflow into the water. 1.2 mile rectangle. Quick run on the beach in between to go back through the starting arch for a time split.
Start type: Wade Plus: Time Trial
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Good
Waves: Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 08:21
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
06:44:42 | 112 miles | 16.60 mile/hr
Age Group: 170/340
Overall: 1186/2537
Wind: Little
Course: Others have described this in great detail, so I wont. Two 56 mile loops - short downhill to start, then long climb to famous Keene descent, then really nice rollers/flats along the Ausable River, then hills back into LP. My family was stationed in WIlmington right on the turn towards Whiteface.
Road: Smooth Wet Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 10:07
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
05:05:13 | 26.2 miles | 11m 39s  min/mile
Age Group: 181/340
Overall: 1259/2537
Course: Again, won't try to describe in detail, but downhill going out to the Jumps, then rollers along the river. Opposite coming back. The short out/back on Mirror Lake Road. Hills back into town were tough.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2013-08-05 10:12 AM

User image

Connecticut
Subject: Ironman Lake Placid
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Ironman Lake Placid Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Ironman Lake Placid

Started by ckunst
Views: 3163 Posts: 4

2011-08-01 7:36 PM jillian_o

Ironman Lake Placid

Started by cornerofdivision
Views: 3557 Posts: 7

2011-08-01 8:58 AM igorkiev

Ironman Lake Placid

Started by krissster
Views: 2425 Posts: 1

2011-07-28 8:25 PM krissster

Ironman Lake Placid

Started by glazebal
Views: 3992 Posts: 8

2011-08-17 10:25 AM timebaron

Ironman Lake Placid

Started by aj_breitwieser
Views: 2840 Posts: 1

2008-06-20 11:10 AM aj_breitwieser
RELATED ARTICLES
date : February 5, 2010
author : CavalloHJ
comments : 5
I found a sprint, the Lake Las Vegas Triathlon, that was happening four months down the road and signed myself up; much to the surprise of friends and family.

date : September 26, 2009
author : Coach AJ
comments : 2
New products from Prologo, Lake, Avia, Orbea, Ceepo, Jamis, Zipp, Profile, Scott and Specialized.
date : July 12, 2009
author : FitWerx
I have Bontrager Race Lite wheels. I was looking into renting Zipp 303's or 404's for race day for Ironman Lake Placid. What time will I save?

date : September 24, 2008
author : Amy Kuitse
comments : 0
I am running Boston in April and Ironman Lake Placid is in July. I have been told that it is ambitious to think about doing an IM so close to a marathon due to the recovery time. Any suggestions?
date : August 10, 2007
author : Terese Luikens
The first time I ventured into the deep murky green lake and could not see the bottom my muscles tensed and my imagined fears surfaced. What exactly lies beneath?

date : January 7, 2007
author : Writebrained
Both the Lake Triathlon Shoe CX210TRI and the Lake Road Shoe CX225 offer distinct advantages. I tested both shoes and found them to be extremely comfortable, good looking and durable.
date : December 31, 2006
author : TriSquirrel
A description of my experiences during my first triathlon. It was a great experience. I’m in better shape than I’ve ever been.

date : July 30, 2006
author : mhan22
If you are calm while everyone around you is losing it, you probably don’t know what the hell is going on.