General Discussion Race Reports! » Cleveland Triathlon - Sprint Course Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Cleveland Triathlon - Sprint Course - Triathlon

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Cleveland, Ohio
United States
Pacific Sports LLC
65F / 18C
Overcast
Total Time = 2h 03m 56s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = Women 50-54
Age Group Rank = 3/9
Pre-race routine:

Up at 4:30, warmed up a bowl of Deanna's oatmeal w/brown sugar. One can Diet Pepsi. Had to change out the tire on my back wheel. Pumped up tire, out the door by 5:00. Rode down E 9th, loved riding in the city when it was still dark . Racked my bike on the end, laid out my gear.
Event warmup:

Jogged a bit around and under the HoF, took a look at the sprint swim course from the turn buoys to gain an idea of the distance back to the dock. Visited the port a potty, wetsuit on, watched the super sprinters and first sprint groups, then lined up.
Swim
  • 15m 31s
  • 704 yards
  • 02m 12s / 100 yards
Comments:

Started out back and to the left side - slow start, then after 200 yards opened it up. Had to swim past a few guys who went out hot, got dunked at the first buoy by a scared swimmer. Held onto a kayak for a few seconds to regain my composure, then swam it in. Had a swimmer from the group behind me pass on my right - she was really moving and created a bit of a chop, just breathed to the left. Sighted every 3-4 strokes, had some issues with fogging towards the end. Would have liked another step on the ladder. Out in 15:30, felt wonderful!
What would you do differently?:

Nothing - best swim this season
Transition 1
  • 02m 4s
Comments:

1/9 for T1. Goggles/cap/ear plugs and suit unzipped before I left the swim deck. Helmet and shades on, suit off, shoes on and off I went!

Nothing - best T1 this season
Bike
  • 1h 01m 31s
  • 16 miles
  • 15.73 mile/hr
Comments:

Hillier than I remembered - wind to my back going east, but once I hit the second loop return, the gusts really started up. Water bottle flew off at 3.5 mile mark, stopped on the return, dismounted, ran and picked it up. Back on the bike. Second loop had stronger winds, but dealt with it. Had to slip past two riders who were chatting and riding side by side to get up the off ramp, feet out of shoes, ran barefoot into T2.

Not wear the damn compression hose. Tightened down my water bottle between my aero bars.
Transition 2
  • 02m 8s
Comments:

Best T2 to date

Nothing
Run
  • 42m 41s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 13m 46s  min/mile
Comments:

Bike racked, helmet off, socks and shoes on. Grabbed an apple/cinnamon Huma gel, got half of it down. Walked up E. 9th hill thanks to cramping calves. Stopped at the first water station, drank 3 cups of Gatorade. Limped along run/walk to 1.25 miles, then stopped and took off compression hose. Instant relief! Jogged up the off ramp and E. 9th, started feeing better at the 2.5 mile mark, ran past the Factory of Sadness and into the finish.

Not wear the compression hose, take it easier on the bike.
Post race
Warm down:

RACED to porta potty.

Bottle of water, slice of watermelon, half a bagel. Slim pickins for food.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Compression hose on run.

Event comments:

Stayed until I learned I had placed third in my group, so stuck around for the awards ceremony. Best part was watching the kids and their families cross the finish line - very emotional and it was hard to not get caught up in the moment. Great chatting with other age groupers and their families. Lost Bruce, and ended up walking my bike back to the hotel. Showered, then hit the road to Chicago. Spent the night at the Intercontinental O'Hare - Nirvana!

Happy I did this, happy I finally overcame my fear of the water, SUPER happy to podium. Won't do this race again - fun but I was disappointed that not too many people stuck around to the end, unlike races here in Minneapolis.

Olympic swim course snafu - poor communication about the 'white boat' that swimmers were initially told to sight on - understand that the Coast Guard had an emergency. Maybe next year the race directors will have better luck with this. Hope the racer who went into cardiac arrest is okay.

Last updated: 2013-06-10 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:15:31 | 704 yards | 02m 12s / 100yards
Age Group: 4/9
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Suit: Sleeveless Orca wetsuit
Course: Counter clockwise. Out to first buoy, left turn to second buoy, left turn to dock.
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Shot
Water temp: 72F / 22C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Good
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:04
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
01:01:31 | 16 miles | 15.73 mile/hr
Age Group: 2/9
Wind: Strong with gusts
Course: 8 mile x2 loops - up East 9th (hill) left onto ramp to Shoreway. Flat for the most part, wind at my back. Turnaround at 1 mile mark. Into the wind for the remainder of the first loop. Up the Shoreway over the Flats - high and steep. Down and then more rollers. Turnaround at Edgewater Park, back to mile 1 turnaround, back to Edgewater turnaround and then up exit ramp to E. 9th. Left onto E 9th into transition.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:08
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:42:41 | 03.1 miles | 13m 46s  min/mile
Age Group: 3/9
Performance: Average
Course: Up an incline on E. 9th, turn left down ramp to Shoreway. Run one mile to turnaround, back up ramp, left on E. 9 to Lakeshore. Right on W. 3rd around Browns Stadium, around Science Museum, under HoF to finish.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2013-08-05 6:12 PM

User image

New user
Subject: Cleveland Triathlon - Sprint Course

2013-08-06 12:26 PM
in reply to: #4821832

User image

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member
Subject: RE: Cleveland Triathlon - Sprint Course
Nice job on the podium!    It looks like you efforts at Nokomis paid off with feeling confident in the water.  Congrats!
2013-09-12 10:20 PM
in reply to: BikerGrrrl

User image

New user
Subject: RE: Cleveland Triathlon - Sprint Course
Thanks! So, yeah, finally responding 5 weeks later!

I'm stepping it up next season - 70.3 distance. Two races, Rev3Dells in June, and then Superiorman in August.

Have a great year off - let me know if you want to go for a ride that doesn't include worrying about sprints/times/splits!

Dawn
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Cleveland Triathlon - Sprint Course Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Cleveland Triathlon - Olympic Course

Started by Du To Tri
Views: 1005 Posts: 2

2013-08-05 1:33 PM cgregg

Cleveland Triathlon - Sprint Course

Started by smuskopf
Views: 799 Posts: 1

2013-06-01 6:10 PM smuskopf

Cleveland Triathlon - Olympic Course

Started by sungirl919
Views: 1263 Posts: 1

2012-08-09 8:46 PM sungirl919

Started by Tkimble01
Views: 1080 Posts: 1

2012-08-09 10:24 AM Tkimble01

Started by scottmoss
Views: 869 Posts: 1

2012-08-07 12:39 PM scottmoss
RELATED ARTICLES
date : September 8, 2008
author : pjwalzphd
comments : 2
When I told my husband that I planned to work toward completing a sprint triathlon, he smiled and was supportive, but a bit disbelieving.

date : February 5, 2008
author : Team BT
comments : 0
Complete course preview of the North East triathlon on 8/17/2008 featuring a Sprint and a Olympic distance race. Mark your calendars!
date : January 1, 2008
Complete course preview of the Philadelphia Women's Only Triathlon in Pennsylvania featuring a Sprint and a Duathlon race. Mark your calendars!

date : December 3, 2007
comments : 1
Complete course preview of the New Jersey State triathlon featuring a Sprint and a Olympic distance race. Mark your calendars!
date : November 22, 2007
Complete course preview of the Black Bear triathlon in Pennsylvania featuring a Sprint and a 1/2 Ironman distance race. Mark your calendars!

date : October 4, 2007
author : AdamA
comments : 4
I was passing others who were saying, "Good job, 587" (that was my race number). People were cheering me on. These were the nicest people I have ever been around!
date : October 4, 2006
author : trijesse
After years of waiting....its all about to change! This was my first triathlon and I have to say that the whole thing was amazing to me.

date : September 1, 2004
author : infosteward
Experts agree, doing a “mock,” triathlon on the course you’re racing can aid you in your training; performance and most of all quell some nervous energy.