General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Southeast Fall Ironman Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2013-08-14 8:48 AM
in reply to: Meathead

User image

Regular
Subject: RE: Southeast Fall Ironman
The problem is Atlanta sucks. I live and work here. I like treating IM races as a destination and there is no way I would choose to come here. Chattanooga is not ideal but with an hour and ten minute drive will make is hard resist. Plus Atlanta would not provide the most forgiving marathon route.

2013-08-14 9:14 AM
in reply to: 7ofClubs

User image

Regular
Georgia
Originally posted by 7ofClubs

The problem is Atlanta sucks. I live and work here. I like treating IM races as a destination and there is no way I would choose to come here. Chattanooga is not ideal but with an hour and ten minute drive will make is hard resist. Plus Atlanta would not provide the most forgiving marathon route.

+1

Chattanooga over ATL any day. I really enjoy going up to Chat for their Waterfront Oly but I'm not sure how they will handle the large numbers associated with an IM. If they can make it work, it should be a good race for participants and family.
2013-08-14 9:57 AM
in reply to: Skyhawk

User image

Veteran
Vicksburg
Anything in the SE is exciting to me as long as it isn't in mid-summer. But Chattanooga is my personal favorite. I've done the Waterfront Oly twice. They do a fantastic job and Chatt is well-equipped to handle a crowd. Lots to see and do in the area. Very family-friendly, downtown is great -not over-priced and touristy.
2013-08-14 10:59 AM

User image

Atlanta, Georgia

Why exactly does Atlanta suck? Does it suck in general or does it suck logistically for an IM? If you are saying it sucks as a destination IM city, how is it any less a destination than Chattanooga, Madison, or Houston? Are you really telling me that most people would rather compete in IM Houston over IM Atlanta because Houston is a much more exciting city? I can certainly go down the list of big draws to this city, but I won't hijack the thread with an Atlanta tourism pitch.

If you are saying it sucks as an IM host city, I'm pretty sure the example I gave shows that there are options & with the size of the city, it certainly could find a place to host an event. Maybe instead of Lanier or Allatoona, maybe you can look down South at Peachtree City. I do agree that the marathon route would be less than ideal given the rolling terrain, but I am sure you can find a route that minimizes that as much as possible. Besides, isn't that part of what gives each city their character & sets them apart? Some have ocean swims while others have lakes. Some have bike routes that loop while others are point-to-point. Some have runs that are flat as a board while others have hills.
2013-08-14 11:14 AM
in reply to: LukeBoswell

User image

Expert
Scottsdale, AZ
Looks like all things point to Chattanooga which makes my decision to just race IMAZ next year all that much easier. Such a shame, was really hoping Asheville would get a bid.
2013-08-14 11:31 AM
in reply to: thebigb

User image

Master
Rogersville, Alabama
Damn it. If it is Chattanooga, my return to the Ironman distance may have been accelerated.

2013-08-14 12:04 PM

User image

Regular
Originally posted by Meathead

Why exactly does Atlanta suck? Does it suck in general or does it suck logistically for an IM? If you are saying it sucks as a destination IM city, how is it any less a destination than Chattanooga, Madison, or Houston? Are you really telling me that most people would rather compete in IM Houston over IM Atlanta because Houston is a much more exciting city? I can certainly go down the list of big draws to this city, but I won't hijack the thread with an Atlanta tourism pitch.

If you are saying it sucks as an IM host city, I'm pretty sure the example I gave shows that there are options & with the size of the city, it certainly could find a place to host an event. Maybe instead of Lanier or Allatoona, maybe you can look down South at Peachtree City. I do agree that the marathon route would be less than ideal given the rolling terrain, but I am sure you can find a route that minimizes that as much as possible. Besides, isn't that part of what gives each city their character & sets them apart? Some have ocean swims while others have lakes. Some have bike routes that loop while others are point-to-point. Some have runs that are flat as a board while others have hills.

If urban sprawl is what is desired Atlanta would fit the bill. If you stayed north of Acworth/Allatoona/Woodstock (which is where I live) you might as well hold it in Chattanooga that has a fraction of the logistical headaches ATL has. North GA is beautiful and I feel very lucky to train in this area but Atlanta as a whole just does not scream destination. BTW- I apologize for the thread jack. I was a little harsh
2013-08-14 2:09 PM

User image

Atlanta, Georgia
If urban sprawl is what is desired Atlanta would fit the bill. If you stayed north of Acworth/Allatoona/Woodstock (which is where I live) you might as well hold it in Chattanooga that has a fraction of the logistical headaches ATL has. North GA is beautiful and I feel very lucky to train in this area but Atlanta as a whole just does not scream destination. BTW- I apologize for the thread jack. I was a little harsh

I see what you are saying about the potential logistical nightmare of doing an urban IM race, but I still think it can be done. Maybe you avoid going ITP for any part of the race. Maybe it all stays localized around Allatoona or Lanier to avoid the urban center as much as possible.

I still disagree with Atlanta not being a destination spot. There is so much to do in this city that you could spend weeks here & still not scratch the surface. Sure, we aren't Disneyworld, but neither is Chattanooga.
2013-08-15 6:35 AM

User image

Expert
Wilmington, NC

I see what you are saying about the potential logistical nightmare of doing an urban IM race, but I still think it can be done. Maybe you avoid going ITP for any part of the race. Maybe it all stays localized around Allatoona or Lanier to avoid the urban center as much as possible.

I still disagree with Atlanta not being a destination spot. There is so much to do in this city that you could spend weeks here & still not scratch the surface. Sure, we aren't Disneyworld, but neither is Chattanooga.

I am with you on Atlanta. I lived in Atlanta for 8yrs prior to coming to NC. I miss the ATL. I do not miss living in Gwinnett county or visiting family in Cobb county but I do miss living in Midtown Atl where most of my ATL living was done. From my POV there are part of the ATL that suck but there are parts that are awesome.
I like your idea of Lanier and finishing downtown but that is never going to happen. The cost and logistics of shutting down that much of the city for that amount of time make the chances of me winning the powerball a better bet.
On the point from the other poster saying the marathon will be to tough. What is wrong with that? Why do we need to have a flat easy marathon to finish an IM? I get from the WTC pov for selling it to bucket listers the easier the course the better, but other than that what is wrong with a tough test to end it?
2013-08-15 7:10 AM
in reply to: qrkid

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by qrkid
Originally posted by 7ofClubs If urban sprawl is what is desired Atlanta would fit the bill. If you stayed north of Acworth/Allatoona/Woodstock (which is where I live) you might as well hold it in Chattanooga that has a fraction of the logistical headaches ATL has. North GA is beautiful and I feel very lucky to train in this area but Atlanta as a whole just does not scream destination. BTW- I apologize for the thread jack. I was a little harsh
I see what you are saying about the potential logistical nightmare of doing an urban IM race, but I still think it can be done. Maybe you avoid going ITP for any part of the race. Maybe it all stays localized around Allatoona or Lanier to avoid the urban center as much as possible. I still disagree with Atlanta not being a destination spot. There is so much to do in this city that you could spend weeks here & still not scratch the surface. Sure, we aren't Disneyworld, but neither is Chattanooga.
I am with you on Atlanta. I lived in Atlanta for 8yrs prior to coming to NC. I miss the ATL. I do not miss living in Gwinnett county or visiting family in Cobb county but I do miss living in Midtown Atl where most of my ATL living was done. From my POV there are part of the ATL that suck but there are parts that are awesome. I like your idea of Lanier and finishing downtown but that is never going to happen. The cost and logistics of shutting down that much of the city for that amount of time make the chances of me winning the powerball a better bet. On the point from the other poster saying the marathon will be to tough. What is wrong with that? Why do we need to have a flat easy marathon to finish an IM? I get from the WTC pov for selling it to bucket listers the easier the course the better, but other than that what is wrong with a tough test to end it?

The fact of the matter is that if Atlanta did not submit a bid, they are not going to get and WTC at this time.  Do you have any knowledge that they did submit a bid?

2013-08-15 7:22 AM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Expert
Wilmington, NC
I do not believe Atlanta submitted a bid.

But hell this is the Interwebz. Are threads not required to go off topic on page 2?

2013-08-15 7:25 AM
in reply to: qrkid

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

Originally posted by qrkid  Are threads not required to go off topic on page 2?

You should be doing flip turns.

2013-08-15 12:33 PM
in reply to: LukeBoswell

User image

Extreme Veteran
Frederick, Maryland
Just saw on FB that Chattanooga was selected, Sept 28, 2014, registration opens Sept 4. More here: http://www.ironman.com/triathlon/events/americas/ironman/chattanoog...

Looks like I may just have to consider this one
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Southeast Fall Ironman Rss Feed  

of 2

RELATED POSTS

NC / SC Ironman in the Fall Pages: 1 2

Started by jkintn
Views: 3772 Posts: 29

2013-04-26 12:34 PM Clempson

Fall HIM's in the southeast

Started by falconsprint63
Views: 869 Posts: 10

2012-03-15 9:29 AM g_shotts

Looking for April open water swim clinics in Southeast/MidAtlantic

Started by Irongirlorbust
Views: 1088 Posts: 3

2009-02-23 9:53 PM klowman

Best half marathon in the Southeast - Jan/Feb

Started by chris hughes
Views: 1668 Posts: 20

2006-11-17 12:04 PM runnergirl

stupid distance q / help me pick a race in the Southeast

Started by madeye
Views: 642 Posts: 3

2005-03-22 1:18 PM Alpine87
RELATED ARTICLES
date : June 23, 2012
author : ytriguy
comments : 0
Often it makes sense to race slower in order to finish faster and at the same time have a more enjoyable Ironman Triathlon experience.

date : April 18, 2012
author : alicefoeller
comments : 3
An unexpected upside of completing a full distance triathlon
date : June 27, 2011
author : alicefoeller
comments : 8
A middle-of-the-pack triathlete takes on the iron distance for the first time at Rev3's inaugural full distance race

date : November 17, 2008
author : mrakes1
During the race there will be plenty of opportunities to exchange bottles, so I'm thinking about going with the aero bottle and Gatorade bottle and fill up as necessary. What should I do?
date : August 7, 2007
author : AMSSM
What would cause my foot to fall asleep after running about 3 miles and then have a numb spot on the top of my instep?

date : July 30, 2006
author : IRONVIKING
If a heart patient can do these things, then so can those of you who haven't been split open like a fish and sewn back together.
date : July 3, 2006
author : ChiRunning
Discussion on many aspects of ChiRunning such as falling forward, posture, hamstring tightness, stride length, leaning, stretching

date : October 17, 2004
author : chrisandniki
Fall's also the time to shop! In fact, now's the best time to retool some of your triathlon equipment for next year, right before the Christmas season begins to jack prices upward.