General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Road bike with clip ons for Ironman..modifications? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-08-07 9:59 AM

User image

Subject: Road bike with clip ons for Ironman..modifications?
Hello all...I am new to the community here and am looking for a little feedback. I am a cyclist with a pretty high end road bike and have mounted some clip ons and have been racing on it this season. I have done two olympics and a few sprints on it with a little back pain but noting crazy. I have now signed up for Ironman Lake Placid 2014 and am worried that my setup may not be ideal for the long distance and effort involved. Here is my problem...I do not have the money for a new tri bike. I am hoping that with the right modifications my Madone can do the job. Does anyone have experience in this area and has maybe had success converting their road bike into something that will work for an Ironman? If so what did you change and what worked the best

2013-08-07 10:25 AM
in reply to: imdapman

User image

Champion
Sarasota, FL
Subject: RE: Road bike with clip ons for Ironman..modifications?

I also have clip-ons on my Cannondale road bike.  I worked with the fitter at my LBS to come up with a compromise set-up that works both riding on the hoods or on the aerobars.  It took some tweaking of the seat position (primarily fore-aft) and we also tried a couple of different stems.  My PD Carbon Stryke aero bars are very adjustble, so that also helped a lot. 

My position is more upright than it would be on a true tri bike (also limited somewhat by my physique).  I ride on the aerobars most of the time but it's also fine on the hoods.  It's nice to be able to switch around on long rides.   I also like having the option of riding in the drops for stability in gusty cross winds or on fast descents.

For races, I swap out my Shimano training wheels for a H3 front and either a H3 or Renn 575 disc on the rear.

Mark

2013-08-07 10:58 AM

User image

Pearland,Tx
Originally posted by imdapman

Hello all...I am new to the community here and am looking for a little feedback. I am a cyclist with a pretty high end road bike and have mounted some clip ons and have been racing on it this season. I have done two olympics and a few sprints on it with a little back pain but noting crazy. I have now signed up for Ironman Lake Placid 2014 and am worried that my setup may not be ideal for the long distance and effort involved. Here is my problem...I do not have the money for a new tri bike. I am hoping that with the right modifications my Madone can do the job. Does anyone have experience in this area and has maybe had success converting their road bike into something that will work for an Ironman? If so what did you change and what worked the best

consult a legitimate professional bike fitter
2013-08-07 11:02 AM
in reply to: strykergt

User image

I had my bike professionally fitted when I purchased it...however that was for purely road use and road racing so that is probably a good place to start.
2013-08-09 5:49 AM

User image

Pro
, New Hampshire
Originally posted by imdapman

I had my bike professionally fitted when I purchased it...however that was for purely road use and road racing so that is probably a good place to start.

Don't change a thing in your position! Get shorty (ITU) clip on's, for example Vision Tech Mini TT's. Those will allow you to get in an aero position, but without mocking up your fit or the balance of the bike.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Road bike with clip ons for Ironman..modifications? Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Road bike modifications

Started by birwin8
Views: 6554 Posts: 16

2010-02-01 9:19 AM pschriver

carbon or alloy road bars with clip ons

Started by rjp7204
Views: 725 Posts: 4

2009-10-28 5:54 AM ferretracer

Suggestions for Clip-ons/Looking for Felt tri bike

Started by jeffhightower
Views: 726 Posts: 4

2006-06-02 3:59 PM jeffhightower

aero clip-ons on carbon handlebars

Started by reesd
Views: 606 Posts: 1

2005-08-20 8:24 PM reesd

Integrated bar -vs- base & clip-ons?

Started by CptnJackSparrow
Views: 793 Posts: 5

2005-06-22 11:11 AM CptnJackSparrow
RELATED ARTICLES
date : February 26, 2013
author : mikericci
comments : 0
If you are a person who feels safer on the trails rather than the road, but you still want to race, this article will help you better train.

date : August 11, 2011
author : FitWerx
comments : 1
Dean from Fitwerx answers a BT member question about what kind of bike should be the "next bike."
date : March 24, 2011
comments : 1
What should I consider when adding aero bars? What are good brands? Are there pitfalls to be aware of? How can I adjust them to fit me?

date : May 25, 2009
I read somewhere about "bar ends" to put on your handle bars, do you recommend them? Is this similar to adding clip on aero bars?
date : April 20, 2009
I'm considering a road frame buildup, what considerations should I take into account when swapping all of my components from my current setup to a new frame?

date : December 27, 2008
comments : 9
Are you a beginner triathlete? This video will compare triathlon bikes and road bikes to help you figure out what is best for you as you begin your triathlon training.
date : December 5, 2007
author : Coach AJ
comments : 2
What makes a triathlon bike a triathlon bike? Learn about angles, seating, position, aerobars, and the importance of a proper bike fit.

date : July 30, 2006
author : Valdora Cycles
comments : 8
The triathlon bike vs. road bike quandary. Before you even ask the road bike vs. tri bike question, you should have a couple sprint triathlons or duathlons under your belt.