General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Ruptured Patella Tendon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-08-07 10:26 AM

User image

Subject: Ruptured Patella Tendon
So two weeks ago on a training riding on the PCH in Malibu I got knocked off my bike by a car door and ruptured the patella tendon in my left knee. Fortunately the bus behind me did NOT run me over. Phew! I had successful tendon reattachment surgery last week (8.01) and today have progressed to the point where I am giving up the crutches to peg-leg around with my heavy brace locked in the -10 degrees position. I know that the PT I face once I can put weight on the leg in a couple of weeks will be intense but wondered if anyone has suggestions, experiences, helpful hints, literally anything that will get my already spongy withered left leg and the rest of me back in shape sooner. Many thanks in advance!!

Cheers, Tim

2013-08-07 12:54 PM
in reply to: barrld21

User image

Veteran
Houston, Texas
Subject: RE: Ruptured Patella Tendon

Don't have a lot to offer about rehabbing a knee injury, as I've been at it for over a year now....just wanted to say that PCH in Malibu is apparently NOT the place to ride.  I also got hit there last year (4th of July) and sustained a (still undiagnosed) knee injury.

Hope your surgery was successful and your rehab is as painless as possible.  It's going to hurt, but do what your PT says!  Keep us updated on your progress.

2013-08-07 1:07 PM
in reply to: ligersandtions

User image

Man, sorry to hear it....   Sorry I can't give any advice excpet to echo Nicole and stay off PCH in the summer.  We drive to Cross Creek and start from there, in the early a.m. it's fine, but coming back starting around Zuma and then extending to Paradise Beach/Geoffrey's its gets insanely bad, and it's forget about power zones and concentrate on survival.  At least it avoids the Gladstone's etc area.   Starting at Zuma is even better for traffic purposes.

Hope you recover well

2013-08-07 10:38 PM
in reply to: ChrisM

User image

Thx Chris, I actually parked at Ralph's and rode from there. I'm done with the PCH south/east of Zuma unless it's with a group first thing in the am. Just got a new bike too . . . Tim
2013-08-07 10:40 PM
in reply to: ligersandtions

User image

Thanks Nicole, wonder what's up with your knee? Speaking from experience, the folks at Santa Monica Ortho Group are amazing with knees. Clint Soppe did wonders with mine, though the diagnosis was pretty obvious.
Take care, Tim
2013-08-08 11:57 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Originally posted by barrld21 Thx Chris, I actually parked at Ralph's and rode from there. I'm done with the PCH south/east of Zuma unless it's with a group first thing in the am. Just got a new bike too . . . Tim

Had to look that up, so basically Cross Creek.  Yeah, even in the summer the Pepperdine to Zuma section can be bad....  That's where that girl died last year, basically in front of Cher's house just north of Pepperdine.   Where did you have your accident?

Again, really sorry to hear it and hope you heal well, soundds like you're in good hands

Edited by ChrisM 2013-08-08 11:57 AM

2013-08-09 11:34 AM
in reply to: ChrisM

User image

Hi Chris, I was hit basically across from Geoffrey's climbing the hill that leads down to Paradise Cove. Gives me shivers going by now.

Be safe, Tim
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Ruptured Patella Tendon Rss Feed  
RELATED ARTICLES
date : September 19, 2012
author : AMSSM
comments : 0
I have several years of pain behind both kneecaps that I had diagnosed as chondromalacia, or patella femoral syndrome. Rest has helped, but I'm wondering if surgery offers a more full recovery.

date : June 28, 2012
The diagnosis, treatment and prevention of a rupture of your plantar fascia.
date : April 27, 2012
comments : 1
I have peroneal tendon problems on my left. The brevis is a complete rupture after two repairs. I think the longus is having to compensate. I seem to have the pain more after cycling.

date : October 11, 2010
comments : 1
Are you on a course of antibiotics? A certain class of antibiotics, the quinolones, may put you at risk for increased incidence of tendon injury.
date : February 22, 2010
The Doctor says a minimum of eight weeks before I'm back in the pool. I'm training for a HIM and wondering how quickly I can start running and what the recovery will be like.

date : August 12, 2008
After about 45-60 minutes of generally light jogging I am getting shooting pain in the left side of the knee under the patella.
date : October 1, 2006
Tendonitis can often be treated effectively through a variety of means including therapeutic exercise, medications, modalities, taping, and, most importantly, activity modification.

date : April 9, 2005
Supplementing with glucosamine and chondroitin for joint health improvement for a member with a diagnosed chondromalacia patellar problem.