General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Training Runs in the heat; Shirtless? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2013-08-08 6:59 AM

User image

Subject: Training Runs in the heat; Shirtless?
Not to hijack the other similar thread (which is about racing shirtless), how many other runners go shirtless on training runs? With the heat in the dog days of August, I was wondering whether it was cooler to go with a soaking wet (because of sweat) shirt on, or none at all. It seems that a wet tri top is easier to run in than a soaked loose t-shirt, but the fashion police apparently don't approve. What do others suggest?

2013-08-08 7:07 AM
in reply to: jbrookscga78

User image

Regular
LHOTP
Subject: RE: Training Runs in the heat; Shirtless?

I run in a sports bra. 

I have seen a lot of threads over the years with guys asking if it's OK to run shirtless and lots of mixed reviews on that. There was even a long thread on ST this year about a woman who was offended that a guy in her running group ran shirtless. I don't get this.  It's a little skin--big deal.

If I were a dude, I would ABSOLUTELY run with my shirt off because it is so, so much more comfortable.  Granted, there might be some threshold of body fitness that would make this uncomfortable, but assuming relative fitness, I would go with as little clothing as possible on hot, muggy days.

2013-08-08 7:11 AM

User image

Master
After getting a pre-cancerous mole cut off of my back in my 20s, I always wear a shirt. When it's really hot, I pull the front of the shirt back over my head, leaving my shoulders covered.
2013-08-08 8:21 AM

User image

Elite
Austin, TX
Gold member
I'm in Austin training for an October marathon. That means 80 degrees at 8 o'clock in the morning and 90+ at 10pm. I run without a shirt most of the time, albeit with plenty of sunblock if it's not after sunset. Even a tech shirt just gets too soaked, heavy, and uncomfortable otherwise.
2013-08-08 8:35 AM

User image

Champion
Sarasota, FL

I'm in FL and run with a shirt 99% of the time, even at the beach.  Not only do I find it cooler, but I'm also mindful of getting too much sun exposure on my back and shoulders (I also wear a visor or hat all the time to keep the sun off my face).  There are times when I'll even wear a long-sleeve tech shirt to keep the sun off my arms.

Some of my tech shirts work better than others in wicking sweat away and not getting too heavy when soaked.  I've had better luck with Nike Dry-Fit gear than some of the off brand tech shirts I've gotten at races.

Mark

2013-08-08 8:51 AM
in reply to: monkeyboy64

User image

Extreme Veteran
West Michigan

Originally posted by monkeyboy64 After getting a pre-cancerous mole cut off of my back in my 20s, I always wear a shirt. When it's really hot, I pull the front of the shirt back over my head, leaving my shoulders covered.

I've had the same done however your forearms and neck are just as susceptible as your back regarding the sun so I just "douse" myself with sunblock and run shirtless whenever the temps > 85 degrees or there's high humidity...

The OP asked about the cooling effect of a wet shirt however in my experience it's very uncomfortable as my shirt begins to stick on my shoulders/back wherever it settles when I try to adjust the shirt...

2013-08-08 9:44 AM

Veteran
Tennessee
I do sometimes run shirtless but most of the time I run in a tri top. If I run in anything else, nipples will pay for it later.
2013-08-08 10:06 AM

User image

Olathe, KS
If it's over 80, my scrawny, pasty body is going to be on display for all the unfortunate people who have to pass by me.

I don't do well with heat and I find that running shirtless is much more pleasant than even a small singlet when the weather is hot.
2013-08-08 10:44 AM

User image

For the benefit of those around me I never go shirtless..... Some may claim I could do the sports bra thing alone too!! : )
2013-08-08 10:46 AM
in reply to: rjguy

User image

Pro
Bartlett, TN
Over 80 degrees, I am without a shirt. Hopefully no one is offended, but I am not too concerned if they are actually.
2013-08-08 11:12 AM
in reply to: rageeumr

User image

St Catharines, Ontario
I went out in a sleeveless tech top on Monday for my long-slow-run and at about 10k had the stupid top rubbing my underarms sore. It wasnt a hard decision to go shirtless due to the pain and the remianing 3k were very enjoyable. The cool evening air was very pleasant and my top tucked in my fuel belt nicely.

I did have an initial moment of self conciousness taking the shirt off. At 245 lbs I am not in perfect shape (round is a shape right?). But am by no means ashamed of my body. I think I even got a look from a womnan getting in her car. Yay me.

2013-08-08 11:34 AM

User image

Atlanta, Georgia
I never run shirtless & it gets really hot/humid in Atlanta in the summer. I'm not out of shape at all, but I also don't have that physique that would make a woman swerve off the road if she saw me running by. I wear a shirt for the SPF and also because I actually feel cooler with a shirt than without. With the sun beating on bare skin, I feel like I am cooking and even with sunblock, on a long run, you literally are cooking.

I also always wear a HR strap & I think it looks completely bizarre to see a guy running with no shirt & a HR strap on.
2013-08-08 11:48 AM

User image

Expert
Broadlands

Regardless of the temp I always wear a running shirt, I've spent a lot of miles understanding the materials that work for me and the shirt styles, I now have a very set running wardrobe depending on the conditions.

I find running in the shirts keeps me cooler, it's not a decision on whether it would bother someone else or not, to be honest when I'm running I'm not sure I'd give that a second thought.  In my experience it just cools me more efficiently.

I do however experience the judgement of others running shirtless, it's one of my wife's pet peeves, she hates to see it and comments every time she does, you know, just to make sure I've noticed too :-)

2013-08-08 12:09 PM

User image

Pro
Twin Cities
Above about 60, always in just a bra. Often even below 60.
2013-08-08 12:12 PM
in reply to: dewybuck

User image

If I were a guy, I would run shirtless. If I had a smaller chest, I would run in just a sports bra, but I am too body-conscious for that. I am jealous of the women who can.

I have noticed that only my female friends object to men running shirtless. My male friends don't seem to mind seeing other men's torsos. Again, I suspect jealousy because we women are required to cover up.
2013-08-08 12:14 PM
in reply to: mmrocker13

User image

Veteran
Oak Park
If the humidity levels are high (like 75%) and it's above 70 degrees, I run in a sports bra. I take a little flack from my running club ladies but I really don't care. It's infinitely more comfortable than running in a soaked technical shirt.

2013-08-08 12:24 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Extreme Veteran
, Kobenhavns Kommune
Ahm, OK, disclaimer, I live in Europe and I'm under the impression that we're a bit more relaxed about this.

I run in a park about 1K from home, back and forth is my warm up, run/walk with stoplights etc. and I run with a shirt, admittedly, I don't really know why I care to wear a shirt to the park. In the park I run shirtless, regardless of the time of day. People go to the park to relax in the sun, get a tan, which means that the eye is regularly exposed to bare skin...

Anyway, I suggest you do what you feel is more comfortable, and if anybody complains about you running shirtless just reply "God only gave man one leaf".

Cheers, Erik

Edited by erik.norgaard 2013-08-08 12:26 PM
2013-08-08 12:34 PM
in reply to: fivecents

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

Originally posted by fivecents If the humidity levels are high (like 75%) and it's above 70 degrees, I run in a sports bra. I take a little flack from my running club ladies but I really don't care. It's infinitely more comfortable than running in a soaked technical shirt.

What kind of flack do you get and why? Confused. 

2013-08-08 12:46 PM
in reply to: lisac957

User image

Veteran
Stevens Point, Wisconsin

For me it has to be 85/90+ and I wont wear a shirt, I am still a bit self conscious about my body physique.  I live in a colder climate though, so 90 degree days are not common.

My buddies and I have also been known to run shirtless when its 50F outside after a long winter.

2013-08-08 12:52 PM
in reply to: jford2309

User image

Extreme Veteran
Collierville, Tennessee
I live in the Southeast, and it just makes sense to run without a shirt. I don't really "need" a shirt to run in, so why wear it? And as far as decency goes, I had to get over what other people thought the first time I did a run in tri shorts. Those things do not really hide a lot, so what difference does a little bit of fabric, like a tri top, make? As far as sun goes, once I got used to the sun at the beginning of the summer, I haven't really worried about. On really sunny days, I'll put a bit of sunscreen on. Honestly, I get more sunburnt on the bike than anything else.
2013-08-08 1:07 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
Livonia, MI

I run and workout shirtless all the time.  Sometimes I even put a bra on Tongue out

If I'm in a humid gym or it's above 70 outside, it's just more comfortable for me.  People may honk from time to time but I really don't care what anyone thinks--when it comes to training, my clothing being comfortable is a very high priority.

Edited by noelle1230 2013-08-08 1:08 PM

2013-08-08 1:17 PM
in reply to: WoodrowCall

I'm a big guy with a lot of loose skin from recent weight loss. I won't even swim at an indoor pool without a shirt. For running in St. Louis 90+ heat and humidity, I'll wear a tight technical shirt with a looser shirt over the top of that. No sense in frightening the women and making the children cry.
2013-08-08 3:08 PM

New user
I live in NE FL and I do all my bikes and runs in white jerseys or tanks. They are cooler than sun directly on the skin - especially FL sun.
2013-08-08 3:20 PM

User image

Master
I used to run shirtless because I thought it was cooler but I have found the tech shirts to be better at cooling me down. They get drenched and heavy and I occasionally wring them out. The downside is nipple chafing on really long runs. I will occasionally still do them shirtless. Anything less than 9-10 miles and I will have a top on.
2013-08-08 3:20 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sterling
If it's warm enough out I will always run shirtless. I just did this afternoon and it was glorious. I look forward to warmer days during the year so that I can run shirtless. If you or anyone is offended by it I can't really understand why. I can see if the person was obese/overweight then maybe a woman might be offended by looking at the guy. I feel pretty comfy running without a shirt. There were quite a few woman ogling me on my run earlier so I don't think that I offended anyone or them for that matter. I usually check the UV Index before I run as to weather or not to put sunscreen on though. I try and protect myself when it comes to that.

We all go to the pool and swim as men and I don't see anyone yelling "throw a shirt on pal!"....

although the other day at the Y, there was this guy to the isle next to me putting his underwear on with one of those arm extender grabber things children play with that is a claw...
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Training Runs in the heat; Shirtless? Rss Feed  

of 2

RELATED POSTS

Running shirtless

Started by sharkbait!
Views: 3971 Posts: 21

2013-08-07 9:58 PM jobaxas

First shirtless run Pages: 1 2

Started by KeriKadi
Views: 4206 Posts: 43

2009-06-17 10:25 AM eabeam

Heat training when it's not hot

Started by madkat
Views: 783 Posts: 6

2006-07-15 4:13 PM AdventureBear

Training for Heat by Joe Friel - Transcript

Started by Bisucas
Views: 4888 Posts: 1

2005-08-23 5:31 PM Bisucas

training in the heat

Started by Tori
Views: 984 Posts: 13

2004-09-07 8:51 PM madkat
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 31, 2011
author : Curt Chesney
comments : 0
Core temperature, hydration, liquid absorption and sweat rates: how they affect racing in the heat

date : September 17, 2008
author : AMSSM
Heat stress, heat exhaustion, and heat stroke: How do these relate to hydration? Can I be well hydrated and still suffer heat stress?
date : September 8, 2008
author : ValleyCoach.com
Because of potential heat injury and sun damage, there are certain precautions that should be taken. Here are some tips to avoid heat injury.

date : June 17, 2008
author : Coach AJ
Is it a good idea to wear winter training clothing while training in 70 degree weather in an attempt to artificially mimic warmer weather similiar to my race?
date : December 11, 2007
I have had chronic Achilles tendonitis problems for a good portion of my life. I am wondering if this can ever go away, or if there is a surgery that can be done?

date : September 8, 2007
author : Coach AJ
Discussions on racing in the heat, electrolytes, weightloss and long distance training, the best way to improve your run, taper psychology, the best gel and the benefits of a swim stroke analysis.
date : July 3, 2006
As we enter the summer months of training and racing it seems reasonable to discuss issues around heat illness: what is it, how do we recognize it, what can we do about it, and how do we prevent it.

date : April 24, 2005
author : dara
An explanation about how the cardiovascular system works, so that it makes more sense about how the human body responds to exercise in the heat.