General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Heel Drop and Calf Pain Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-08-09 1:34 PM

Veteran
Richmond, KY
Subject: Heel Drop and Calf Pain
With all the variation in the amount of heel drop you can find in shoes now, it has made me wonder if there is a particular range that may be helpful in alleviating some of my calf problems. I'm bounced all around in types of shoes and never really considered that the heel drop was that big of a deal until I started looking at that spec on the shoe guides. Now I see that I've been in everything from zero drop to more normal shoes over the past 2-3 years, which has also coincided with my calf strains. Given that I've now developed this history for this type of injury would it be better/safer for me to just run in shoes with a higher drop thus decreasing the amount my calf stretches on each stride?

2013-08-09 3:17 PM
in reply to: tsprks

User image

Extreme Veteran
Spokane, WA
Subject: RE: Heel Drop and Calf Pain
Stop switching shoes so often...... I would guess that if you found a shoe you were comfortable with and stick with it, your calves will thank you. Everytime you change shoes and vary the drops you have to re-train your calf muscles and more.
2013-08-09 4:13 PM

User image

This is actually something I have plenty of experience with. I went from Air Pegasus (12mm drop) to Brooks Pureflow (4mm drop). I switched because normal trainers tend to be pretty bulky and feel a bit clunky. And, I'd get shin splints going downhill.

So, then I went to Newtons and got calf strain. But, I also got much, much faster.

There's your trade off. Your achilles and calf muscles are like giant rubber bands and when you land on your forefoot with your heel all the way back, it's like stretching out the rubber band. As you toe off, the calf contracts and pops you forward.

Now, I run in the Newtons when I'm racing and in Altra's for long training runs. For shorter intervals on a track it's either the Newtons or the Pureflows which are a little sleeker and lighter than the Altras.

But, you'll have to endure the calf strain. I doubt you're getting injured. you're just getting broken in. You'll have to adjust into them by running only a couple of miles, then a couple more and possibly using your old trainers for the first few long distance runs you do.

But, every "racer" no matter what brand of shoe they use run in something called a "racing flat" and, it's called that for a reason. If you can leverage more of your leg muscles you'll be faster and that's what low drop shoes do.
2013-08-09 4:19 PM
in reply to: adelsud

Veteran
Richmond, KY
Well I'm not sure its the shoes fault but I have had diagnosed calf strains in both calves and have went through PT to work on rehabbing them and breaking up all the scar tissue they found. I'm just wondering if my shoes contributed to the problem..
2013-08-09 4:53 PM

User image

New user
I like that rubber band analogy. I think the key is to building up strength on your calf muscles gradually. Low toe-heel drops will stress and put more load on your calf muscles, no doubt. At least for me. When I transitioned from low toe-to-heel shoes, I started out with shorter distances. I still use medium toe-to-heel shoe on the long run, but I can comfortably run shorter distances on those neutral shoes.
2013-08-09 9:22 PM
in reply to: #4825424

User image

Expert
Greenville, SC
Are you running in stability or neutral shoes? Stability shoes put a lot of strain on the lower legs to make up for any pronation. I can't run in stability shoes, every pair I have owned has led to lower leg cramps, strains, and tendinitis. If you don't pronate much i recommend get a neutral pair of shoes.

2013-08-11 12:22 AM
in reply to: adelsud

User image

Coach
Stairway to Seven
Originally posted by adelsud

Your achilles and calf muscles are like giant rubber bands and when you land on your forefoot with your heel all the way back, it's like stretching out the rubber band. As you toe off, the calf contracts and pops you forward.

• But, you'll have to endure the calf strain. I doubt you're getting injured. you're just getting broken in. You'll have to adjust into them by running only a couple of miles, then a couple more and possibly using your old trainers for the first few long distance runs you do.

Let's just say you're 30 years old and you've been running for 20 of those years in "standard" fare running shoes of the day with 10-12mm drop. Now you're buying a bunch of different shoes, sometimes with 4mm drop. You won't "undo" all those years of running with less stretching of the calf very easily. If you are going to run in a low drop, zero drop, minimalist style shoe you need to accept that it's going to take a long time to break in. I still get achilles "tightness" after 2-3 miles, but my run form is much better. I don't run a lot, but it has literally taken me several years to accomodate.
    2013-08-11 8:43 PM

User image

Regular
    Pueblo, Colorado
    In my experience, a lower drop heel will increase the amount of stress on your calves. With proper stretching, you can increase flexibility, but you may have less stress with a drop that is steeper. I learned this the hard way alternating shoes from a 12+ drop to around a 5-7mm drop. That combined with insufficient rest took me out of running for a few weeks. Since then, I've still been able to find a number of shoes with more of a drop, but still light weight and not too bulky. Currently I'm in the Mizuno Waver Rider 16's. At 10oz. they aren't the lightest, but they're not too bulky either.
    2013-08-12 9:55 AM
    in reply to: tedjohn

Veteran
    Richmond, KY
    Thanks for all the input. Hearing some of your experiences at least makes me feel like that may be a lot of my problem. Prior to my injuries I had ran a couple marathons and was logging a lot of miles (for a recreational runner) in pretty much the same kind of shoes. Then I started tinkering and started getting hurt. Now I feel like I have a path of sorts to get back on track.
    2013-08-12 11:43 AM
    in reply to: #4825690

davenport, iowa
    Try out the Brooks Ghost 6. I've been using them for a month and have noticed less calf strain from my previous asics cumulous shoes. But to be honest I haven't had any serious trouble with calf pain in the past, just some soreness from time to time
    But with the Brooks, no soreness.
    2013-08-12 11:46 AM
    in reply to: lekuhlman

Veteran
    Richmond, KY
    The Brooks Ghost 6 will be my next shoe purchase. Right now I'm in the 5's and alternating a pair of Adidas Energy Boost's. Luckily they both have pretty much the same amount of drop even though the Boosts are 'squooshy' compared to my Ghosts. I'd ditch the Boosts now if my wife wouldn't kick my butt for 'wasting' that much on a pair of shoes.

New Thread
    General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Heel Drop and Calf Pain Rss Feed  
    RELATED POSTS

heel-2-toe-drop measurement....

Started by coyote39
    Views: 2043 Posts: 4

2013-03-29 6:01 PM Crazy Pirate

Heel pain...please advise!

Started by ChrisFL
    Views: 1313 Posts: 9

2010-01-15 8:34 PM MDHillSlug

heel pain

Started by crews
    Views: 803 Posts: 7

2009-07-09 4:39 PM rc63413

Heel Pain...just below my achilles!!!!

Started by LA Reed
    Views: 1103 Posts: 10

2006-12-01 7:46 PM Offthegrid

Heel pain - from running?

Started by cobannero
    Views: 683 Posts: 6

2005-05-06 11:47 AM cobannero
    RELATED ARTICLES
    date : July 2, 2013
    author : AMSSM
    comments : 0
    Deep calf pain can be a tricky problem to deal with, and it’s appropriate that you are paying attention to this pain before it becomes a more debilitating injury.

date : October 15, 2012
    comments : 6
    Over the past couple of months I've been waking up with a sore heel. Right in the center, it feels like I stepped on a pebble and bruised it. The pain, fairly minor, goes away as the day progresses.
    date : August 5, 2010
    comments : 4
    Calf pain can have multiple causes. In your case, the most likely cause seems to be from a calf muscle strain. If you have had Achilles problems you can be predisposed to a calf injury.

date : November 23, 2009
    I suffer from pain in the bottom of my left heel after my run. It doesn't hurt when I run but as the day goes on the pain worsens.
    date : June 23, 2009
    The whole bottoms of my feet hurt these days. Been running for a number of years now and this is a first. Do you have any tips?

date : January 5, 2009
    I have a pain deep in my calf about five inches below the knee. A sports doctor did not feel anything wrong in the muscle, and there was no bruising. The tender spot can still be felt on massage.
    date : September 17, 2008
    I still have heel pain and shin pain, and now I've got a weird pain in the center of my foot. Do you think I should have an x-ray to make sure that I don't have a stress fracture in my foot?

date : July 3, 2006
    They are comfortable, but on longer runs the ball of my foot starts to heat up. I actually had to STOP, take off the shoe, massage my foot. This would help for a while, but the pain usually returned.