General Discussion Triathlon Talk » tri as motivation Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-08-09 1:47 PM

User image

Subject: tri as motivation
I've gained and lost the same 20 pounds oh 3 or 4 times. I have no problem working out, my problem is portion size, stress eating, and snacking. I've always wanted to do a tri and not too long ago I told my sister that when I hit my goal weight I was going to do one. Before then I've never actually voiced it to anyone and then later I started thinking about it. You know, instead of waiting until I hit my goal weight to do a tri why not use training for a tri to help me hit my goal weight.

I have some time. I pick up my road bike later on today and have a target of early May for this first tri. I have to admit, so far thinking about how little that trisuit hides is helping me stay away from the potato chips.

2013-08-12 10:00 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Veteran
Gatineau, Quebec
Subject: RE: tri as motivation
It works well as motivation, and make sure you sign for one and also tell everyone you know, that you have done so. It worked for me, not wanting to make a fool of myself in front of friends and family was a great motivator.

Edited by outlandluc 2013-08-12 10:01 AM
2013-08-13 6:49 PM
in reply to: outlandluc

User image

New user
I'm fully convinced I would be back at 265 lbs if I didn't find racing. After losing weight, I got really bored of going to the gym for just staying healthy, but once I set out the goal to race and improve, I have no problem motivating myself to work out. It's kept my interest for 4 years and counting!

I'm trying this now as a motivation to lose my last 25 lbs - I want a new bike. My current one is perfectly fine but it's usually the cheapest on the rack at HIMs. I'm telling myself that I can't get my new bike until I lose the weight, so everytime there's a choice I have to make, it's "do I want this more than a new bike next year".
2013-08-19 8:37 AM
in reply to: aponi

There's a tri I want to do in early November. I did it a few years ago and finished in last place. I started training at the beginning of August and have already lost 9 pounds. This is exceptionally motivational to me and is going to keep me focused.

Not sure if I'll do the tri as my "swimming" is more like "move arms and legs to prevent drowning while swallowing as much pool water as possible to impede breathing". Even if I can't get my swimming improved, I can still do the dual and still stay focused and motivated!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » tri as motivation Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Lurking... Now Posting Motivations Day #1

Started by LP7SLIP
Views: 1470 Posts: 13

2005-08-23 10:11 PM stupidnickname

Motivation for both teams

Started by cobannero
Views: 1352 Posts: 12

2005-01-30 9:47 PM BGTwinDad

I need some major motivation!!

Started by kimberly
Views: 1103 Posts: 7

2005-01-05 3:10 PM akabak

motivation

Started by littlefoot
Views: 970 Posts: 7

2004-11-18 9:03 PM molsaver

Weight Loss Motivation

Started by cadreamer
Views: 1058 Posts: 5

2004-08-02 10:54 AM figue
RELATED ARTICLES
date : April 13, 2010
author : kcowart
comments : 11
I have always been an athlete, growing up playing team sports like basketball and soccer. I also ran in a couple of 10K races every year, so I had no reason to worry about running a 5K...right?

date : August 13, 2008
author : eschmits
comments : 2
After I left the running store, I couldn't stop thinking about the sprint tri and how much of a challenge it would be for me. So instead of joining a gym, I started riding my bike and it felt great.
date : February 5, 2008
author : DominiqueL
comments : 1
A product review of the Louis Garneau Tri Air Triathlon Shoe. After nearly two years of testing, see how this shoe performed. Currently being replaced by the Tri Air 2.

date : January 1, 2008
author : agrace
comments : 4
I couldn’t help but feel that the race had beaten me. Perhaps duathlons were more for me? No, I was more determined than ever to succeed. I was determined to get on top of my swimming.
date : December 31, 2006
author : docgill
comments : 0
This life of mine is not so different from yours. It has a multitude of similarities. I suffer from uncertainty, I get nervous at the thought of registering and when getting to the starting line.

date : May 1, 2006
author : acbadger
comments : 9
I am not going to buy a tri-suit before my first tri - I want to make sure I am going to stick with this before I spend a lot of money on it so I want to figure out what will work best.
date : November 27, 2005
author : spetremears
9 weeks after my first bike ride, 5 months after my first swim and 13 months after my surgery I entered the Nelson week Tri a Tri !

date : September 3, 2005
author : aloufan
I couldn't believe that my splits kept getting lower! I started to run harder after I passed the "5 km" sign and picked a few people that I wanted to pass.