Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Next time, make your own Credit Card contract Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, the bear, DerekL, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2013-08-13 10:52 AM
in reply to: Pector55

User image

Veteran
St. Louis
Subject: RE: Next time, make your own Credit Card contract
Originally posted by Pector55
Originally posted by KateTri1

Originally posted by Pector55 I don't think it was dirty at all. When we work out a Statement of Work document with a vendor, both sides constantly make changes until an agreed upon version is signed. That signed copy is binging and shame on us if we get conditions we do not like. I say good for him. After working through the process at work, I actually enjoy the back and forth with companies that are used to us just blindly agreeing to their terms. It's not personal, it's just business.

Wait.. but you Expect changes to be made.. 

You are looking for them.. and that's, I'm thinking the usual procedure within your negotiations...

I'm not saying that the company wasn't dumb.. but, 

The procedure for filling out a credit card application is not usually done by rewording the document.

How can you compare your two situations? 

And I have no idea what is considered "fraud" in the legal sense in Russia... Is that a universal term? 

It appears you feel obligated to simply accept their terms or refute the dealing all together. You left out the option of negotiation. Negotiation is not fraud just because one party doesn't like what they agreed to.

He didn't negotiate with the bank.  That would be sending them back a counter-offer stating his terms.  He took their document, scanned it, altered it without notifying them, and returned it signed.  What he did might not constitute fraud, but it certainly wasn't negotiating.

Here's another definition of fraud "A false representation of a matter of fact—whether by words or by conduct, by false or misleading allegations, or by concealment of what should have been disclosed—that deceives and is intended to deceive another so that the individual will act upon it to her or his legal injury."

He did not disclose altering the terms of the contract.  Maybe it was completely the bank's responsibility to catch it, but in my profession once a document is sent out, every amendment to it needs to be highlighted, signed, and dated.  I'm interested to hear what msteiner's lawyer friends say, because to me it sounds like fraud.  

But the bottom line is, the guy's an idiot because he got greedy.  He had won his initial case but didn't know how to quit when he was ahead.  

2013-08-13 12:28 PM
in reply to: kevin_trapp

User image

Master
Centennial, CO
Originally posted by kevin_trapp 

But the bottom line is, the guy's an idiot because he got greedy.  He had won his initial case but didn't know how to quit when he was ahead.  

Not really an idiot.  I'm sure his lawyers are the ones pushing for the lawsuit.  And this is a lawsuit, not a criminal trial.  The Credit card company will not put him in jail for suing them unless the are able to get criminal charges filed.  (Not sure if that is true in Russia).  So in this case, he won the suit by the credit card company, and now is seeking to enforce the terms of the contract they signed.  Not dumb, maybe greedy, but if the lawyers are working this and taking only a share if they win, then it is a win/win for the client.

Nowhere did I see that the credit card company is filing criminal charges except in a posting in social media. 

2013-08-13 12:40 PM
in reply to: kevin_trapp

User image

Champion
Southern Chicago Suburbs, IL

Originally posted by Pector55 I don't think it was dirty at all. When we work out a Statement of Work document with a vendor, both sides constantly make changes until an agreed upon version is signed. That signed copy is binging and shame on us if we get conditions we do not like. I say good for him. After working through the process at work, I actually enjoy the back and forth with companies that are used to us just blindly agreeing to their terms. It's not personal, it's just business.

You are looking for them.. and that's, I'm thinking the usual procedure within your negotiations...

The procedure for filling out a credit card application is not usually done by rewording the document.

And I have no idea what is considered "fraud" in the legal sense in Russia... Is that a universal term? 

It appears you feel obligated to simply accept their terms or refute the dealing all together. You left out the option of negotiation. Negotiation is not fraud just because one party doesn't like what they agreed to.

He didn't negotiate with the bank.  That would be sending them back a counter-offer stating his terms.  He took their document, scanned it, altered it without notifying them, and returned it signed.  What he did might not constitute fraud, but it certainly wasn't negotiating.

Here's another definition of fraud "A false representation of a matter of fact—whether by words or by conduct, by false or misleading allegations, or by concealment of what should have been disclosed—that deceives and is intended to deceive another so that the individual will act upon it to her or his legal injury."

He did not disclose altering the terms of the contract.  Maybe it was completely the bank's responsibility to catch it, but in my profession once a document is sent out, every amendment to it needs to be highlighted, signed, and dated.  I'm interested to hear what msteiner's lawyer friends say, because to me it sounds like fraud.  

Agreed.  It appears that he altered it without the traditional "redline" changes.  Are you all telling me that every bank/cc company etc should always reread their standard terms and agreements to make certain that someone didn't fradulently change them without notification?  Really?

2013-08-13 1:03 PM
in reply to: crowny2

User image

Champion
PA
Originally posted by crowny2

Agreed.  It appears that he altered it without the traditional "redline" changes.  Are you all telling me that every bank/cc company etc should always reread their standard terms and agreements to make certain that someone didn't fradulently change them without notification?  Really?

Yes.. Really
2013-08-13 1:35 PM

User image

Elite
Boise
In my line of work, I send out quotes to people all the time with Terms & Conditions attached. If someone decides to send us a Purchase Order back that has different terms & conditions and I don't respond back that I'm taking exception to their terms, then I am bound to follow their terms. That is why we always have to reply to PO's acknowledging that we have received the PO, but we are sticking to our terms. I don't see why it should be any different for a CC agency.
2013-08-13 1:42 PM
in reply to: JoshR

User image

Master
Southwest Iowa

Originally posted by JoshR In my line of work, I send out quotes to people all the time with Terms & Conditions attached. If someone decides to send us a Purchase Order back that has different terms & conditions and I don't respond back that I'm taking exception to their terms, then I am bound to follow their terms. That is why we always have to reply to PO's acknowledging that we have received the PO, but we are sticking to our terms. I don't see why it should be any different for a CC agency.

Do they take your terms and conditions and scan them, change them, sign them and send them back without letting you know of any changes to those terms and conditions?  I highly doubt that.   I did the same for many years and if there were any issues with terms and conditions, they sent letters and emailed and called.

2013-08-13 1:56 PM
in reply to: JoshR

User image

Champion

Originally posted by JoshR In my line of work, I send out quotes to people all the time with Terms & Conditions attached. If someone decides to send us a Purchase Order back that has different terms & conditions and I don't respond back that I'm taking exception to their terms, then I am bound to follow their terms. That is why we always have to reply to PO's acknowledging that we have received the PO, but we are sticking to our terms. I don't see why it should be any different for a CC agency.

Agreed, but if you received a document back that was your standard T&C, that they signed, but they had modified it without your knowing and didn't give any indication that they changed it, you would be ok with that?  You would have caught it?    Because that is what it sounds like happened here.  He took their existing T&C, modified it without their knowing, did NOT indicate that there were any changes, and submitted it.  And you are telling me that with the 100,000 documents that they get they are supposed to review every single one?

2013-08-13 1:58 PM

User image

Champion

Yes.. Really

Every single one?  No matter that they potentially nubmer in the 100,000 or 1,000,000?

And you are then ok that they might then jack up their fees/interest rates to make up for it?

2013-08-13 1:58 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Champion

Oops.  Twitchy mouse finger. 

DOUBLE POST!

Edited by crowny2 2013-08-13 1:58 PM
2013-08-13 2:26 PM

User image

Veteran
St. Louis
Originally posted by velocomp

Not really an idiot.  I'm sure his lawyers are the ones pushing for the lawsuit.  And this is a lawsuit, not a criminal trial.  The Credit card company will not put him in jail for suing them unless the are able to get criminal charges filed.  (Not sure if that is true in Russia).  So in this case, he won the suit by the credit card company, and now is seeking to enforce the terms of the contract they signed.  Not dumb, maybe greedy, but if the lawyers are working this and taking only a share if they win, then it is a win/win for the client.

Nowhere did I see that the credit card company is filing criminal charges except in a posting in social media. 

According to this article (http://rapsinews.com/judicial_news/20130808/268492632.html), the bank is looking into initiating criminal charges.  To be fair, that could be the media's interpretation of the bank's tweets, who knows.  But still, I think a good rule of thumb when you're living in a country as corrupt as Russia is to not pizz off anyone with money and/or political sway, which I'm assuming one of their biggest banks has both.  

He got one over on the bank, good for him.  Pay off your interest-free credit card bill and smugly drink a pint while you tell your comrades how you stuck it to the man.  But he got greedy and is pushing his luck.  I'd say he's an idiot.  Whether his lawyers are pushing it or not, it's definitely not win/win if the bank gets the charges filed and he's staring at a Russian prison sentence.

ETA:  According to this article, the guy is getting out of Russia out of fear of prosecution.  So yeah, don't eff with Russian money.  Also, the credit card offer they had sent him was 45%?  Wow.  http://en.rian.ru/business/20130810/182690781/Man-Who-Hijacked-Banks-Fine-Print-to-Flee-Russia.html

Edited by kevin_trapp 2013-08-13 2:32 PM
2013-08-13 3:28 PM
in reply to: crowny2

User image

Champion
PA

Yes.. Really

Every single one?  No matter that they potentially nubmer in the 100,000 or 1,000,000?

And you are then ok that they might then jack up their fees/interest rates to make up for it?

If they jack up their fees / interest rates, consumers should decline the use of their services. Or even better, tell the bank what they consider acceptable. Contracts should be read. Yes.. all of them, unless you trust the other party.

2013-08-13 3:36 PM

User image

Champion
Chicago
There's only one way to figure this out.

I'm going to take that pesky CC offer I got in the mail last night and rewrite it, then send it in.
2013-08-13 3:51 PM
in reply to: mr2tony

User image

Champion
PA
Originally posted by mr2tony

There's only one way to figure this out.

I'm going to take that pesky CC offer I got in the mail last night and rewrite it, then send it in.

Attaboy! zero interest on a Victoria's Secret card is going to make for one great relationship with the lady.
2013-08-13 4:26 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ridgeland, Mississippi

One of the lawyers I sent it to responded with "Matt I think you should try it."

I'll let Tony go instead, since he's stepped forward.

2013-08-13 4:53 PM
in reply to: msteiner

User image

Champion
Chicago
Originally posted by msteiner

One of the lawyers I sent it to responded with "Matt I think you should try it."

I'll let Tony go instead, since he's stepped forward.

I'll let you know what happens. I would ask for bail money but I know BT is full of cheapskates.
2013-08-13 7:28 PM

User image

If they jack up their fees / interest rates, consumers should decline the use of their services. Or even better, tell the bank what they consider acceptable. Contracts should be read. Yes.. all of them, unless you trust the other party.

So what happens when all banks decide to jack up their rates?  Are people going to suddenly cut up all their credit cards and starty carrying cash and stuffing it under their sofa?  You act as if only one or a few banks would be subject to the additional costs involved in reviewing every application.

2013-08-13 9:29 PM
in reply to: Jason N

User image

Champion
PA
Originally posted by Jason N

So what happens when all banks decide to jack up their rates?  Are people going to suddenly cut up all their credit cards and starty carrying cash and stuffing it under their sofa?  You act as if only one or a few banks would be subject to the additional costs involved in reviewing every application.

Yeah because banks could afford to not have any customers? How did you jolt over to stuffing cash into sofas? This is a legal contract discussion.
2013-08-14 3:21 AM

User image

Expert

Yeah because banks could afford to not have any customers? How did you jolt over to stuffing cash into sofas? This is a legal contract discussion.

Not a legal genius, but I am guessing that most US credit card companies might already have ways to protect themselves from someone attempting to alter a credit card application. In the US, applying for a card doesn't guarantee anything... 

2013-08-14 8:17 AM
in reply to: KateTri1

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ridgeland, Mississippi

Not a legal genius, but I am guessing that most US credit card companies might already have ways to protect themselves from someone attempting to alter a credit card application. In the US, applying for a card doesn't guarantee anything... 

What?!  But the application says I'm pre-approved!!!

2013-08-14 8:46 AM
in reply to: msteiner

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE
Originally posted by msteiner

What?!  But the application says I'm pre-approved!!!

lol, I keep getting Amex applications that say I'm "approved to apply".  

2013-08-14 12:54 PM

User image

Champion
PA

So one thing we have done with some legal agreements that show up on the pinpad devices (the things you swipe cards through at retail locations), was to simply reference the master agreement and state how to obtain a copy. The critical piece was to have a back end version control for that document. This was relevant because changing the language on a pin pad requires a push to update the language. If there are technical issues at a store, we could be out of synch so the master agreement that is dated is our reference.

If you are a cc company and you do not wish to get into a bind like this, you simply do something similar but it would seem that a person who would modify the contract would remove the reference to the master agreement as well. Who knows?

Edited by Pector55 2013-08-14 12:55 PM

2013-08-14 1:14 PM

User image

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member

The article said:

Tinkoff apparently failed to read the amendments, signed the contract and sent Mr Argakov a credit card.

"The Bank confirmed its agreement to the client's terms and sent him a credit card and a copy of the approved application form,"

So, it wasn't a passive "oops, we didn't notice that."  They had to take action, they did, they agreed to the changes he made.

If he didn't do it in the most professional way I am not sure it matters.    He sent back an amended agreement, they signed it.

2013-08-14 4:12 PM
in reply to: BikerGrrrl

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

I did some quick googling for US contracts and noticed found a capital one contract.
http://www.capitalone.com/media/doc/credit-cards/consumer-cards.pdf 

I tried finding any stipulations about the consumer making changes and didn't notice anything.  I suspect their mail applications just reference the overall credit card agreement, so there isn't really any opportunity to change it.

However, I did notice this:  (talk about fraud)

Changes to Your Agreement.
At any time, we may add, delete, or change any term of this
Agreement unless the law prohibits us from doing so. We will
give you notice of any changes as required by law. If we do
notify you of changes, we will send you a separate notice or
inform you on your Statement. We may send this notice to
you electronically as permitted by law. Our notice will tell you
when and how the changes will take effect and describe any
rights you have in connection with the changes.

2013-08-14 4:40 PM
in reply to: tuwood

User image

Originally posted by tuwood

I did some quick googling for US contracts and noticed found a capital one contract.
http://www.capitalone.com/media/doc/credit-cards/consumer-cards.pdf 

I tried finding any stipulations about the consumer making changes and didn't notice anything.  I suspect their mail applications just reference the overall credit card agreement, so there isn't really any opportunity to change it.

However, I did notice this:  (talk about fraud)

Changes to Your Agreement.
At any time, we may add, delete, or change any term of this
Agreement unless the law prohibits us from doing so. We will
give you notice of any changes as required by law. If we do
notify you of changes, we will send you a separate notice or
inform you on your Statement. We may send this notice to
you electronically as permitted by law. Our notice will tell you
when and how the changes will take effect and describe any
rights you have in connection with the changes.

I wonder if you can simply get around this by changing the agreement to read that the terms of the contract cannot be changed? 

New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Next time, make your own Credit Card contract Rss Feed  

of 2

RELATED POSTS

first time credit card!

Started by mr.rogersisinthehood
Views: 1200 Posts: 16

2011-12-27 12:36 PM crimefighter2

If you have Department Store Credit Cards, or any Credit Cards... Pages: 1 2 3

Started by SweetK
Views: 3140 Posts: 72

2009-03-17 10:21 AM cardenas1

What is your credit card debt? Pages: 1 2 3

Started by eberulf
Views: 2838 Posts: 53

2008-11-24 10:09 PM latrina

Grrr....Credit Card Thieves Pages: 1 2

Started by Fatdoggy
Views: 1954 Posts: 35

2008-10-21 8:52 AM surfwallace

Using 'Wrong' Credit Card Pages: 1 2

Started by GolfMark
Views: 974 Posts: 27

2007-05-18 11:47 AM Lara
RELATED ARTICLES
date : July 13, 2011
author : DaveScott
comments : 0
Dave Scott, six-time Hawaii Ironman world champion, shares his insights and plenty of stories to help you define your own success.

date : June 22, 2010
author : Tri Swim Coach
comments : 1
Will you will finish your next triathlon swim strong, or will you run out of steam before you even start the majority of your race?
date : November 16, 2009
author : Tri Swim Coach
Discussions on a good stroke count, getting faster on the swim, swim drills to get faster, recommended swim drill time and 'my wetsuit is making me slow'.

date : November 28, 2007
author : mrakes1
Discussions on making better food choices, under or over-fueling, the 'write everything down' theory, sample meal template and cottage cheese substitutes.
date : March 20, 2007
author : Ontherun
comments : 1
Making goals achievable is an important part of reaching our end goal. Also, having a bar that is set high is important, so we are always striving for something better.

date : June 6, 2006
author : TriForrestTri
In order to maintain the rest of our life, we also have to become skilled at time management. Here are a few suggestions for getting workouts in when you can.
date : January 10, 2005
author : malvey
Incentives for making and keeping resolutions for your next year.

date : November 14, 2004
author : trixie
A static stretching routine to aid in coordination, reducing muscle tension while serving to increase your range of motion.