Pro
Subject: RE: USAT Nationals in Milwaukee
Originally posted by crowny2
Originally posted by Left Brain
Originally posted by mr2tony
Originally posted by cgregg

Originally posted by jkossman Also had a great time at a great venue!!! I just felt bad for the 40-44 guys being stuck in the water for so long.... Awesome weather on saturday too, does anyone know if the rain effected the race on sunday?
The dude that caused that is an idiot.

Yes.  Yes he is. 

Was it a single individual that caused it?  What happened?

All I ever heard was that we were waiting "to hear from the highway".

No that was the early morning thing that caused the start to be delayed by a few minutes. I am talking about the guy who decided not to do the race and wandered around the expo and over to the finisher's chute etc etc etc without giving his chip back. When he didn't exit the water, they figured he was at the bottom of the lake. They posted security guards around his bike in case he wandered over there. Eventually he realized they were looking for him and turned in his chip. Dumas.

For the life of me I couldn't figure out why they just didn't get on the P.A. and ask the guy to come to the timers tent.  How damn hard is it?  Instead you spend an hour and call in a Coast Guard ship to look for a (POSSIBLE) body that has a wetsuit on that no one in a kayak saw distressed?   

Yeah, the guy was an idiot.....but he didn't have the market cornered.

It is possible that they did get on the PA.  I was out on the course so I wouldn't know.  But they can't also just rely on the PA.  If someone did go down, (and as an FYI, the water was warm enough to go without one) they can't waste time hoping someone will show up, IF they could hear it on the PA.  I think the RD did the right thing here.  The only idiot in this case was the one that took a walk. 

I watched the entire deal unfold.  At no time did they even announce a delay, much less ask for the missing person to come to the timer tent, or anywhere else.  Look, that's just a mistake....period.  It's ok to say someone made a mistake.

Where did I say that you don't get resources rolling even while you are asking for the person on the PA....it takes ZERO time away from a rescue effort.  The CG search boat didn't even arrive for nearly 20 minutes.  The truth is, since you weren't there watching, the delay created a much more dangerous situation for the last 4 waves of swimmers that had to be crammed together in 3 minute delays instead of 7.  The last wave, which my son was in, swam over and into all three waves in front of them.  Ask some of those folks under the bridge how they liked getting pummelled by the 16-24 men.

It was a great race, a great venue, and a great time.....it was a mistake not announcing for the missing person.

2013-08-14 1:31 PM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Champion
Southern Chicago Suburbs, IL

Originally posted by jkossman Also had a great time at a great venue!!! I just felt bad for the 40-44 guys being stuck in the water for so long.... Awesome weather on saturday too, does anyone know if the rain effected the race on sunday?

Yes.  Yes he is. 

No that was the early morning thing that caused the start to be delayed by a few minutes. I am talking about the guy who decided not to do the race and wandered around the expo and over to the finisher's chute etc etc etc without giving his chip back. When he didn't exit the water, they figured he was at the bottom of the lake. They posted security guards around his bike in case he wandered over there. Eventually he realized they were looking for him and turned in his chip. Dumas.

For the life of me I couldn't figure out why they just didn't get on the P.A. and ask the guy to come to the timers tent.  How damn hard is it?  Instead you spend an hour and call in a Coast Guard ship to look for a (POSSIBLE) body that has a wetsuit on that no one in a kayak saw distressed?   

It is possible that they did get on the PA.  I was out on the course so I wouldn't know.  But they can't also just rely on the PA.  If someone did go down, (and as an FYI, the water was warm enough to go without one) they can't waste time hoping someone will show up, IF they could hear it on the PA.  I think the RD did the right thing here.  The only idiot in this case was the one that took a walk. 

I watched the entire deal unfold.  At no time did they even announce a delay, much less ask for the missing person to come to the timer tent, or anywhere else.  Look, that's just a mistake....period.  It's ok to say someone made a mistake.

Where did I say that you don't get resources rolling even while you are asking for the person on the PA....it takes ZERO time away from a rescue effort.  The CG search boat didn't even arrive for nearly 20 minutes.  The truth is, since you weren't there watching, the delay created a much more dangerous situation for the last 4 waves of swimmers that had to be crammed together in 3 minute delays instead of 7.  The last wave, which my son was in, swam over and into all three waves in front of them.  Ask some of those folks under the bridge how they liked getting pummelled by the 16-24 men.

It was a great race, a great venue, and a great time.....it was a mistake not announcing for the missing person.

Then I 100% agree.  They should have made an announcement.  And that should have been the very first thing they did.  Hands down.

2013-08-14 1:32 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland

Yes.  Yes he is. 

As I was in the last wave as well, I second this. It made for a bit of havoc on the swim and alot of traffic on the bike. It was a real PIA, and dangerous, to try and pass so many people flying down that bridge with the crosswinds. For the swim they told us all that we would have the normal spacing between waves, and then suddenly, as I was jumping into the water, I was informed that I only had about 3 minutes to warm up. not very fun.

Venue was great though, if it weren't for a bit of a stitch on the run I would have said it was a great race :D. Looking forward to coming back next year.
2013-08-14 1:53 PM
in reply to: dmiller5

User image

Champion
Chicago
They didn't announce it over the PA?

OK so the guy AND the peoplewho decided to not announce it over the PA are idiots. They could've easily said `Would Racer No. XXXX come to the timing tent, please? Mr. John Johnson please come to the timing tent or find a volunteer with a radio.' And that wouldn't have incited panic and probably would've fixed the issue quickly.

2013-08-14 9:31 PM
in reply to: mr2tony

User image

Master
Centennial, CO
Someone over at ST said it was them.  They got bumped during warm-up and separated their shoulder.  They were in the Med Tent when they heard that they were being looked for.  Not sure if that is the same guy, but sounds like it.
2013-08-14 9:50 PM
in reply to: velocomp

User image

Regular
LHOTP

Originally posted by velocomp Someone over at ST said it was them.  They got bumped during warm-up and separated their shoulder.  They were in the Med Tent when they heard that they were being looked for.  Not sure if that is the same guy, but sounds like it.

Here's the guy's post from ST:

here is what happened...I was was the guy that was pulled during the M25-29 warm up. Another guy (I know who are, kinda ;)) and I collided and I dislocated my right shoulder. It was bound to happen as I've popped it out numerous times before...Thanks, to the guy who collided with me and a few other that stayed with me and supported me in the water until the lifeguards came. Thanks!!!

As for the real reason of the delay, I heard on race radio while I was in the coast guard zodiac, that another racer in a previous wave went MIA in the swim...Fast forward to the very end of the race after they restarted everything and I got everything with my should fixed, I was at the swim exit and I over heard a USAT official on the radio looking for the location of my race number as I hadn't come out of the water yet, for obvious reasons. I explained to her what happened with me and was surprised medical didn't notify any race officials. I also asked about what I heard while I was on the boat. She said that a racer started the swim and dropped out right at the bridge and never notified and race officials. They delayed the swim after everyone in that racers wave exited the water with no sign of said racer, hence the delay to search for that racer.

There may have been a small delay to get me out of the way but, from what I heard, the race was going to be delayed regardless, before the M25-29 start to search for the other racer.

http://forum.slowtwitch.com/cgi-bin/gforum.cgi?post=4707018;search_string=delay;#4707018

2013-08-14 10:00 PM
in reply to: switch

User image

Pro
Originally posted by switch

Originally posted by velocomp Someone over at ST said it was them.  They got bumped during warm-up and separated their shoulder.  They were in the Med Tent when they heard that they were being looked for.  Not sure if that is the same guy, but sounds like it.

Here's the guy's post from ST:

here is what happened...I was was the guy that was pulled during the M25-29 warm up. Another guy (I know who are, kinda ) and I collided and I dislocated my right shoulder. It was bound to happen as I've popped it out numerous times before...Thanks, to the guy who collided with me and a few other that stayed with me and supported me in the water until the lifeguards came. Thanks!!!

As for the real reason of the delay, I heard on race radio while I was in the coast guard zodiac, that another racer in a previous wave went MIA in the swim...Fast forward to the very end of the race after they restarted everything and I got everything with my should fixed, I was at the swim exit and I over heard a USAT official on the radio looking for the location of my race number as I hadn't come out of the water yet, for obvious reasons. I explained to her what happened with me and was surprised medical didn't notify any race officials. I also asked about what I heard while I was on the boat. She said that a racer started the swim and dropped out right at the bridge and never notified and race officials. They delayed the swim after everyone in that racers wave exited the water with no sign of said racer, hence the delay to search for that racer.

There may have been a small delay to get me out of the way but, from what I heard, the race was going to be delayed regardless, before the M25-29 start to search for the other racer.

http://forum.slowtwitch.com/cgi-bin/gforum.cgi?post=4707018;search_string=delay;#4707018

Still dumb not to use the PA system to ask the "missing" swimmer to come to the timer's tent.  The whole thing was just dumb. Jet skis and a zodiac searching the shoreline where hundreds of people were standing and nobody had a clue what was going on until information started being spread like a rumor.  Dumb.

2013-08-14 10:57 PM

User image

Science Nerd
Redwood City, California

It did not.

It affected me!  I was one of the last two people to cross the finish line because of the delay.  It started raining as I was finishing the bike, and it was slippery coming down the hill.  Rained the whole time I was running.  I finished, but it was chilly and I was a lot more cautious finishing up the bike.

2013-08-14 11:00 PM

User image

Science Nerd
Redwood City, California

Yes.  Yes he is. 

They did announce a delay to the swimmers.  Granted, it was about 15 minutes after said delay started and the announcements were really hard to hear.  Awhile later, they announced that they would restart in 20 minutes.

2013-08-14 11:01 PM
in reply to: Artemis

User image

Pro
Originally posted by Artemis

It did not.

It affected me!  I was one of the last two people to cross the finish line because of the delay.  It started raining as I was finishing the bike, and it was slippery coming down the hill.  Rained the whole time I was running.  I finished, but it was chilly and I was a lot more cautious finishing up the bike.

Oh....I'm sorry, I had no idea.  I was watching the clouds the entire time of the delay because my kid doesn't like to ride in the rain and I was worried.  I thought the rain held out long enough for everyone.  And yeah....again.....the loooong delay was needless.  Great day, great course, great town.......dumb mistake.

2013-08-14 11:04 PM

User image

Science Nerd
Redwood City, California

It did not.

Oh....I'm sorry, I had no idea.  I was watching the clouds the entire time of the delay because my kid doesn't like to ride in the rain and I was worried.  I thought the rain held out long enough for everyone.  And yeah....again.....the loooong delay was needless.  Great day, great course, great town.......dumb mistake.

No worries.  I'm not surprised.  There was a lot of confusion as to whether the last three of us (a boy who was maybe 16 and 2 of us women in the 30-34 age group) were even on the course.  My parents were told that I wasn't on the run course while I was still out running, so they started searching the med tent and all around.  I was slower than expected because I got kicked in the ribs by one of the men in the group after mine.  It was pretty crazy.  I'd like to try it again.  Hopefully things will go better next year.

2013-08-14 11:05 PM
in reply to: Artemis

User image

Pro

Yes.  Yes he is. 

They did announce a delay to the swimmers.  Granted, it was about 15 minutes after said delay started and the announcements were really hard to hear.  Awhile later, they announced that they would restart in 20 minutes.

I heard them announce that the race would re-start......but I promise that nobody standing near us, between the start and the bridge right on the lake, heard an announcement for a delay.  Everyone near us was speculating.  It was poorly handled.  It doesn't kill the day, but lessons should be learned.

2013-08-14 11:09 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Pro

It did not.

No worries.  I'm not surprised.  There was a lot of confusion as to whether the last three of us (a boy who was maybe 16 and 2 of us women in the 30-34 age group) were even on the course.  My parents were told that I wasn't on the run course while I was still out running, so they started searching the med tent and all around.  I was slower than expected because I got kicked in the ribs by one of the men in the group after mine.  It was pretty crazy.  I'd like to try it again.  Hopefully things will go better next year.

Oh....I was standing on the bridge when my kid's 16-24 wave started.  There were a lot of "battle tested"  Jr. Elite racers in that group and it was obvious they were going to run over a bunch of people while they raced each other......and they did.  I'm not sure why that group is seeded last anyway.....they are smoking fast.  At least 5 of the guys from the last wave swam into all 3 waves ahead of them at the restart.  It also didn't help that the swim was anywhere from 100-130M long by most Garmin accounts.

Edited by Left Brain 2013-08-14 11:20 PM
2013-08-15 7:29 AM

User image

Champion

It did not.

Oh....I was standing on the bridge when my kid's 16-24 wave started.  There were a lot of "battle tested"  Jr. Elite racers in that group and it was obvious they were going to run over a bunch of people while they raced each other......and they did.  I'm not sure why that group is seeded last anyway.....they are smoking fast.  At least 5 of the guys from the last wave swam into all 3 waves ahead of them at the restart.  It also didn't help that the swim was anywhere from 100-130M long by most Garmin accounts.

Really?!?

Well that explains quite a bit about my time.  huh.

2013-08-15 9:24 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland

It did not.

Was the swim actually long? I thought it was short because I PR'd it. The fastest times look like something I would have expected for the swim, especially with the weird exit. (although my expectations may not stand up to a faster group of athletes.)
2013-08-15 10:15 AM
in reply to: dmiller5

User image

Pro
Originally posted by dmiller5

It did not.

Was the swim actually long? I thought it was short because I PR'd it. The fastest times look like something I would have expected for the swim, especially with the weird exit. (although my expectations may not stand up to a faster group of athletes.)

I'm going by what has been written on ST by the Garmin wearers and by the swim times of 20 or more kids that I have watched race for 2 years.  That swim was long.  Was it 100-130M long as the Garmoin crowd thinks?  I don't know.  I see alot of 1:15-1:18 per 100 swims out of kids that regularly swim 1:10-1:12 per 100.  But hey, one thing I know for sure, no course is the same and it's not a stretch to say that no race has the distances exactly right.  Everyone races the same course.  PR's are pretty useless in triathlon.

It's funny because the top times in the sprint race look slow at over 1 hour for all but two who barely got under.  But then when you take into account the HUGE transition area it becomes faster.  My son was intially dissapointed in his 1:01:XX because he's not used to being over an hour.....but once the times started to get spit out it turned out that he had a fine race.

FYI - the Garmin crowd had the run long as well....somewhere between 3.12 ans 3.15K

2013-08-15 10:40 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland

It did not.

I'm going by what has been written on ST by the Garmin wearers and by the swim times of 20 or more kids that I have watched race for 2 years.  That swim was long.  Was it 100-130M long as the Garmoin crowd thinks?  I don't know.  I see alot of 1:15-1:18 per 100 swims out of kids that regularly swim 1:10-1:12 per 100.  But hey, one thing I know for sure, no course is the same and it's not a stretch to say that no race has the distances exactly right.  Everyone races the same course.  PR's are pretty useless in triathlon.

It's funny because the top times in the sprint race look slow at over 1 hour for all but two who barely got under.  But then when you take into account the HUGE transition area it becomes faster.  My son was intially dissapointed in his 1:01:XX because he's not used to being over an hour.....but once the times started to get spit out it turned out that he had a fine race.

FYI - the Garmin crowd had the run long as well....somewhere between 3.12 ans 3.15K

Well I'm going to believe the garmin folks because it makes me feel better about my race haha. What did your son think about the bike course? I was cruising the first half of the course, but felt like I lost a chunk of time on the bridge section. I was just too sketched out to stay in aero and push with the crosswinds and too many other riders around. Was very thankful the rain held off until the end of my run.
2013-08-15 10:53 AM

User image

Champion

It did not.

If it were that long that would be about right with my time out of the water.  I knew I was going to be slow coming back from the accident but not THAT slow.  And 100-150m long would absolutely fit with what my regular times would be.

2013-08-15 10:54 AM

User image

Pro

It did not.

Well I'm going to believe the garmin folks because it makes me feel better about my race haha. What did your son think about the bike course? I was cruising the first half of the course, but felt like I lost a chunk of time on the bridge section. I was just too sketched out to stay in aero and push with the crosswinds and too many other riders around. Was very thankful the rain held off until the end of my run.

All I know is he had 51.2 mph on his computer for top speed.  He's 15......too young and dumb to get "sketched out".  He said, "dad, it was bombing run down that bridge!!!"  LMAO  He did tell me that he saw large packs of riders coming and going but that he was basically passing alot of people and never encountered a pack going the same direction.  I was stunned there wasn't MORE penalties......I saw two packs that looked like a crit race.

Edited by Left Brain 2013-08-15 11:03 AM
2013-08-15 7:35 PM

User image

Expert
Chicago
I just added Chrissie Wellington in my recognized faces in iPhoto . . . that was fun.
(and now it recognizes her!)

Edited by Ershk 2013-08-15 7:37 PM

(IMG_1467.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
IMG_1467.jpg (2161KB - 19 downloads)
New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » USAT Nationals in Milwaukee Rss Feed  

of 2