General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Lower back pain when swimming Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-08-10 2:31 PM

User image

New user

Raleigh
Subject: Lower back pain when swimming
Hi everyone,

Did a quick search on BT.com for this and didn't find anything so I thought I'd just ask.

Sometimes when I'm swimming, I get lower back aches in the water. They're never anything that forces me to stop swimming, and they go away as soon as I'm done, but obviously something's wrong. I am wondering: does this mean I've just got to strengthen my core, or is there a stroke deficiency here? Is there a certain "wrong" thing in the water that causes (slight) lower back pain.

Thanks!!

2013-08-10 5:33 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Extreme Veteran
, Kobenhavns Kommune
Subject: RE: Lower back pain when swimming
Have you noticed anything else? changed swimming form? body position?

It sounds like you're doing it right but need some training and patience. In order to get your legs up you need to engage you lower back and core muscles and that may cause some aches in the beginning. The fact that the pain is temporary and doesn't make you stop your workout seems to me that it's muscle aches that will cease as you get stronger and not something to worry about.

You may want to do some exercises on the deck to strengthen core and back, and you may also want to do some stretching (like reach your toes).

ETA: If it gets worse, either that it becomes more painful to the point that you consider cutting a workout short, or that the pain remains for a prolonged period of time, or that you suddenly feel the pain when not training, then I suggest seeing a physiotherapist, if possible with knowledge about swimming, and have a coach see you swim.

BR, Erik

Edited by erik.norgaard 2013-08-10 5:36 PM
2013-08-10 5:36 PM
in reply to: #4825896

User image

Do you do kicking sets with a kick board? That can make you arch your back and it can hurt after a while.
2013-08-10 7:18 PM
in reply to: miamiamy

User image

New user

Raleigh
I do, and now that I think about it, my back usually hurts only when I have kicking sets. Should I be putting my head in the water when doing those?
2013-08-11 12:14 AM
in reply to: writingrunner

User image

Coach
Stairway to Seven
The water is capable of support your body in a neutral position when swimming, but it's easy to overcompensate and cause arching in the low back.

Kick sets are notoriuos for this. If you are going to do kick sets (I don't), do them without a kickboard and with yoru head in the water, rolling to the side to get air. Do kick sets with one arm extended and slightly rotated in a 30-60 degree position to mimic your extended swim position in the water and you can kill two birds with one stone.

Looking forward to any degree can cause this. Looking forward brings the head out of the water, and when one part comes out, some other part has to go down usually the hips. Since kicking usually brings the legs to the surface, the stress is placed on the low back. Relax the head into the water, gaze towards the bottom, not necessarliy straight down, and you'll take the curve out of your low back

Reaching too far over the surface before entering the water. This cauess the first part of your arm in the water to push down which lifts the front of the body...hips go down...see above paragraph for the rest. solution, enter the water earlier through a "mail slot" in the water to avoid pushing down on the water.

Arching the back to try and get the legs up. You'll hear this a lot that you have to use the low back to get the legs to the surface. this is just bad advice, and poor core control. Try it, feel the stress in teh low back and feel how at the same time the front of the core becomes disengaged...the ribs and pelvis move furhter away from each other, the belly sags in the middle (along with your lumbar spine). Instead tuck the pelvis towards the ribs to engage the core better, and use your gluts/hamstrings to raise the legs gently toward the surface, not the low back. If your gluts are not firing or your hip flexors are too tight...both modern society problems, you can do work out side the pool to help correct this...but don't accept that it's something you need to deal with...correct the underlying problem to help you swim more comfortably. Learn to fire the gluts and let the hip flexors open up.

2013-08-11 5:10 AM
in reply to: writingrunner

User image

Easy fix- stop doing the kick sets with the board.

I sometimes do kick sets on my back.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Lower back pain when swimming Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Lower Back Pain While Swimming?...

Started by stevestenzel
Views: 3944 Posts: 5

2009-09-20 10:58 AM rachaeld20

Aero position + low back, what level of low back tightness is acceptable (if any)

Started by merlin2375
Views: 929 Posts: 6

2009-05-11 10:15 AM Daremo

Lower back pain associated with swimming

Started by judir6
Views: 2044 Posts: 7

2009-01-01 2:04 PM famelec

Lower Back Pain after swim

Started by whalers34
Views: 1088 Posts: 7

2007-05-09 6:23 PM whalers34

Lower back pain after swimming

Started by fb444
Views: 8907 Posts: 5

2006-10-02 7:40 PM fb444
RELATED ARTICLES
date : December 14, 2011
author : AMSSM
comments : 2
What is the recommended way to recover from a cycling-related lower back injury?

date : March 23, 2011
comments : 0
What could be causing the pain on the top of the foot at the toes? Here are some easy ways to find the cause and possibly end the pain.
date : January 17, 2011
comments : 2
Can running worsen spinal stenosis? Is it possible to compete in triathlons with this condition?

date : May 25, 2009
comments : 1
I started playing basketball three times a week in addition to running and biking. Now, whenever I run any distance, the next day, I can hardly sit in my chair at work.
date : May 18, 2009
author : Tri Swim Coach
I've just got back in the pool from a 2 week break and my triceps are killing me the whole time I am swimming. Wondering if someone has any ideas or tips to correct?

date : April 23, 2009
author : Team BT
Video of the kicking on your back swim drill.
date : April 22, 2009
comments : 1
After the Marine Corps Marathon, I started developing left lower/lateral leg pain late in my marathon training and pushed through it.

date : August 31, 2004
author : smeeko
A lot of us don’t spend too much time worrying about stretching and strengthening exercises for our lower back.