Other Resources My Cup of Joe » tandem bike wth? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, the bear, DerekL, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2013-08-10 5:12 PM

User image

Subject: tandem bike wth?
Twice now while I've been out running or riding I've seen two guys on a tandem bike. I've seen tandem bikes before but it was always on boardwalks on the beach with most likely happy newlywed couples giggling down the strip. This is different, this is like a tandem road bike with these two guys on it who look rather serious about what they're doing.

I can't wrap my brain around it. I tried pretending that I hadn't seen it, you know maybe a flashback from college but my husband came back from a run a little while ago and said "hey I saw these two guys out on one of those tandem bike things". It can't be a shared hallucination.

so what the heck is that about?

as a side note I could never ride one of those with my husband

We can't even ride in a two-man kayak. We tried it once. There was a lot of "right RIGHT RIGHT"..."my right or your right"..."we're facing the SAME DIRECTION"...and then it turns into an open water swim.

2013-08-10 6:10 PM
in reply to: aponi

User image

Payson, AZ
Subject: RE: tandem bike wth?

Originally posted by aponi Twice now while I've been out running or riding I've seen two guys on a tandem bike. I've seen tandem bikes before but it was always on boardwalks on the beach with most likely happy newlywed couples giggling down the strip. This is different, this is like a tandem road bike with these two guys on it who look rather serious about what they're doing. I can't wrap my brain around it. I tried pretending that I hadn't seen it, you know maybe a flashback from college but my husband came back from a run a little while ago and said "hey I saw these two guys out on one of those tandem bike things". It can't be a shared hallucination. so what the heck is that about? as a side note I could never ride one of those with my husband We can't even ride in a two-man kayak. We tried it once. There was a lot of "right RIGHT RIGHT"..."my right or your right"..."we're facing the SAME DIRECTION"...and then it turns into an open water swim.

I am a bit confused as to why this is an issue but lets just say it is not just two guys who enjoy riding tandem, maybe one guy is assisting a blind rider?  When I was on the Tucson Tri Girls we had a girl that was seeing impaired and would periodically send a request for a rider.

That being said, there are a few couples in my old riding club that had tandems that were very good riders and every now and then one of them couldn't ride and another guy in the club would ride with them and have a blast from everything I could tell

2013-08-10 6:23 PM
in reply to: bzgl40

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
There are people who show up occasionally for club rides in my hometown on a serious road bike that happens to be a tandem and they can keep up with all but the fastest riders. Theirs is basically just a good road bike built for two. We also frequently run into people bike touring in Europe with them. Again, sometimes these are mountain roads, and these bikes have fancy gears, good components, etc. and their riders do a good clip. And the ultimate tandem ride....When I was touring in Laos last year, I met a couple riding a tandem (this one could best be described as a bike tank) around the world. I took a picture of their odometer--I believe it was at 36,000 km. Not just for the boardwalk anymore! Will try to post the pics if I can reformat them.
2013-08-10 9:31 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Edited by tarmac52 2013-08-10 9:40 PM
2013-08-11 8:47 AM
in reply to: tarmac52

User image

Master
Southwest Iowa

So are tandems a bad thing?  Or are two guys riding a tandem a bad thing?  Or could it be two women riding a tandem?  On RAGBRAI year I saw more tandems than I have ever seen and they ranged from the old Schwinn style three speed internal or up to carbon fiber road tandems.  Ridden by 2 men, 2 women, or a male and a female.  What does it matter????

Do tandems scare you and you have nightmares about them? 

2013-08-11 8:55 AM

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

Originally posted by aponi T

I can't wrap my brain around it.

What is it that you can't wrap your brain around, exactly?

2013-08-11 9:53 AM

User image

I don't have a problem with it, odd that would be the instant assumption. I just thought it was odd. Today while I was out running I saw a guy on a unicycle. That also seems a bit strange to me. Impressive but strange.

I thought maybe one of the guys was blind but my husband saw them and didn't think that was the case.
2013-08-11 10:17 AM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.

Edited by Teejaay 2013-08-11 10:20 AM
2013-08-11 11:01 AM

Resident Curmudgeon
The Road Back
Gold member

Originally posted by aponi I don't have a problem with it, odd that would be the instant assumption. I just thought it was odd. Today while I was out running I saw a guy on a unicycle. That also seems a bit strange to me. Impressive but strange. I thought maybe one of the guys was blind but my husband saw them and didn't think that was the case.

Where do you live that it's odd to see a tandem or a unicycle?

2013-08-11 1:47 PM
in reply to: bzgl40

Pro
Houston
Originally posted by bzgl40

Originally posted by aponi Twice now while I've been out running or riding I've seen two guys on a tandem bike. I've seen tandem bikes before but it was always on boardwalks on the beach with most likely happy newlywed couples giggling down the strip. This is different, this is like a tandem road bike with these two guys on it who look rather serious about what they're doing. I can't wrap my brain around it. I tried pretending that I hadn't seen it, you know maybe a flashback from college but my husband came back from a run a little while ago and said "hey I saw these two guys out on one of those tandem bike things". It can't be a shared hallucination. so what the heck is that about? as a side note I could never ride one of those with my husband We can't even ride in a two-man kayak. We tried it once. There was a lot of "right RIGHT RIGHT"..."my right or your right"..."we're facing the SAME DIRECTION"...and then it turns into an open water swim.

I am a bit confused as to why this is an issue but lets just say it is not just two guys who enjoy riding tandem, maybe one guy is assisting a blind rider?  When I was on the Tucson Tri Girls we had a girl that was seeing impaired and would periodically send a request for a rider.

That being said, there are a few couples in my old riding club that had tandems that were very good riders and every now and then one of them couldn't ride and another guy in the club would ride with them and have a blast from everything I could tell

All this. We see tandems regularly.
2013-08-11 2:46 PM

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio

There are several couples on the Richmond Area Bike Association (RABA) that go on group rides with a tandem.  I think it's great.  They are doing something together and having a great time.  Not sure if they all have individual bikes as well as the tandems are pretty pricey--but I think it's awesome.  Slow as a snall up hill but they fly down hill like nobody's business!

2013-08-11 9:27 PM
in reply to: QueenZipp

Pro
NJ
There was a tandem rally held in NJ a few weeks ago. I'm not sure how many riders attended but saw dozens of tandems and spoke to a number of the riders over the weekend. They seemed like they were having a great time. 
2013-08-11 9:34 PM

Pro

Originally posted by aponi I don't have a problem with it, odd that would be the instant assumption. I just thought it was odd. Today while I was out running I saw a guy on a unicycle. That also seems a bit strange to me. Impressive but strange. I thought maybe one of the guys was blind but my husband saw them and didn't think that was the case.

Not really, pretty standard. Laughing  Now you'll have the whole club chasing you down. LOL!

Welcome to BT's COJ!! 

Edited by Left Brain 2013-08-11 9:37 PM
2013-08-11 9:48 PM

Elite
Oliver, BC, "Wine Capital of Canada"
I ride our tandem bike by myself sometimes. People say I'm weird. I don't disagree. 
2013-08-12 7:45 AM
in reply to: peby

I've ridden w/ lots of tandem roadies on long rides. A good captain/stoker team can destroy just about anyone out there, especially when the distances get really big.

Also, nothing beats drafting right behind a strong tandem team on a long headwind haul. Their draft window is huuuuge.
2013-08-12 8:01 AM

Pro
Twin Cities
I guess I don't think it's odd, either--I see leisurely tandem riders, as well as racers. (More racers, in fact, than leisure riders).

On the road, a good tandem team is impressive...but you want to see crazy, watch some tandem MTB racers or track races.

As a side note, one year at the Chequamegon 40 mountain bike race, I was in the start corral next to two women on a tandem. Turns out they train in the same area I do, etc., and we got to talking as we waited. I asked if they were married/partners, and they laughed hysterically. "Oh no. We both have other partners... there is NO WAY I'd tandem race with my spouse. Divorce city." :D

2013-08-12 8:04 AM
in reply to: danimal123

Extreme Veteran
The Woodlands/Magnolia, TX.
i saw a tandem recumbent bike two weekends ago when driving. i did a double-take. first time i've ever seen one. looked like an older couple riding it...man up front, woman in the back.

i'd put my wife up front so i don't get divorced for spitting on her.
2013-08-12 12:34 PM

Pro
MA

I see tandems from time to time.  Coworker and his wife rode one for charity rides. 

Once I saw a 3-guy tandem.  I was riding on the opposite side fo the road and saw 3 guys trying to fix something on that bike. Yes, it has 3 saddles.  They guys wore some sort of uniform jerseys that are bright red. I so wanted to take a photo but I didn't have my phone with me.

2013-08-12 12:40 PM
in reply to: antlimon166

Master
Southwest Iowa

Originally posted by antlimon166 i saw a tandem recumbent bike two weekends ago when driving. i did a double-take. first time i've ever seen one. looked like an older couple riding it...man up front, woman in the back. i'd put my wife up front so i don't get divorced for spitting on her.

I could see Tony doing that as Monica would be the one in charge anyway.  The person up front has all the controls on the "bent" tandems that I have seen.  Quite a few on RAGBRAI.  For the Iowa Bicycle Festival they actually connected 27 "bent" bikes for the current US record.  I think the world record is 99 connected together.  I am not sure how far they have to travel for it to be a "record".

2013-08-12 2:01 PM
in reply to: flip18436572

Champion
Austin, Texas
Originally posted by flip18436572

Originally posted by antlimon166 i saw a tandem recumbent bike two weekends ago when driving. i did a double-take. first time i've ever seen one. looked like an older couple riding it...man up front, woman in the back. i'd put my wife up front so i don't get divorced for spitting on her.

I could see Tony doing that as Monica would be the one in charge anyway.  The person up front has all the controls on the "bent" tandems that I have seen.  Quite a few on RAGBRAI.  For the Iowa Bicycle Festival they actually connected 27 "bent" bikes for the current US record.  I think the world record is 99 connected together.  I am not sure how far they have to travel for it to be a "record".

Ha!  I don't know if that would be a good idea... I'm severely directionally dysfunctional and would ride us straight into the lake or something.  I'd love to try a tandem bike at some point though if there was some way to guarantee that I wouldn't somehow kill us!   

There were a few tandem bikes that would ride all the time out by where I used to live in Vancouver & at least one of the tandems was a really cool road bike for a blind triathlete who would race every year in the UBC triathlon - he was FAST! 

2013-08-12 2:55 PM
in reply to: blueyedbikergirl

Master
Rio Rancho, NM
I saw two guys ride this little gem at my last TT. They were crazy fast...

(tandem.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
tandem.JPG (175KB - 13 downloads)

2013-08-12 6:21 PM
in reply to: antlimon166

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2013-08-13 7:16 AM
in reply to: Teejaay

Master
Southwest Iowa

My daughter and son-in-law are tandem riders and really enjoy it.  They talk and work well together on the bike.  They got a new/better tandem the day before RAGBRAI, and had a great time on it.  They let my brother-in-law and his girl friend take it for a day of RAGBRAI and they bought a tandem when they got back to Kentucky.

My wife and I will ride separate bikes as we have been married for 26 years and we ride two different speeds and she wants to see where she is going.  Not much of an option for her at 5'3" and me at 6'3".  I like a cadence of 90+ and she likes 70-80 with coasting.  Maybe I could take some highway pegs off of the motorcycle and mount them to the bike and she would like it better.

2013-08-13 9:36 AM
in reply to: flip18436572

Pro
Last weekend I saw a couple on a tandem. I and another rider were behind them for 17 miles and they averaged over 21mph. I thought it was pretty impressive.

I have a friend who is a world class visually-impaired paratriathlete. Her tandem is built for racing.

2013-08-13 10:46 AM
in reply to: Teejaay

Regular
Central Coast, CA
Originally posted by Teejaay

I'd yell .. "taint break"

Out of context quote of the day!

New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » tandem bike wth? Rss Feed  

of 2

RELATED POSTS

The tandem story

Started by David tri's
Views: 1163 Posts: 7

2011-02-08 9:38 AM jford2309

Lara - WTH???

Started by 1stTimeTri
Views: 1367 Posts: 15

2008-05-06 1:10 AM Sharkie

Tandems?

Started by ChicagoMan65
Views: 823 Posts: 11

2007-12-12 11:44 AM pitt83

cool tandem bike!

Started by possum
Views: 1637 Posts: 4

2005-08-26 2:02 AM gocorey

My home-built tandem is done!

Started by KendallF
Views: 1465 Posts: 12

2005-08-02 11:21 AM KendallF
RELATED ARTICLES
date : November 6, 2011
author : alicefoeller
comments : 4
A Walmart bike, a borrowed road bike or a new carbon fiber bike? You don't need to break the bank for your first triathlon bike.

date : August 11, 2011
author : FitWerx
comments : 1
Dean from Fitwerx answers a BT member question about what kind of bike should be the "next bike."
date : June 29, 2011
author : alicefoeller
comments : 4
Second in a series of three articles about the basics, the niceties and the luxuries

date : April 12, 2011
comments : 0
How should I be shifting gears on the front chainring and the rear cogs to cope with hills?
date : December 27, 2008
comments : 9
Are you a beginner triathlete? This video will compare triathlon bikes and road bikes to help you figure out what is best for you as you begin your triathlon training.

date : August 5, 2008
author : mrakes1
Are you traveling to a race and need to ship your bike? This video will demonstrate how to disassemble your bike to be able to pack it properly in a bike case for shipping.
date : March 6, 2007
author : sportfactory
Bike upgrades to gain speed: better wheelsets, a tri-bike, road bike with aerobars, even getting rid of those love handles before getting that lighter bike.

date : July 30, 2006
author : Valdora Cycles
comments : 8
The triathlon bike vs. road bike quandary. Before you even ask the road bike vs. tri bike question, you should have a couple sprint triathlons or duathlons under your belt.