General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Coke on the run Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2013-08-10 11:40 PM

Subject: Coke on the run
I have read that many people suggest drinking coke during the later stages of the run. This is my first full, and since it is a bad idea to try things on race day you did not try in training I have the following questions.

When would be the best time to try this out, long bike, long run, or perhaps on a brick?

Is it only "Coke" brand soft drink, or do people drink other types (dp, pepsi, etc..)?

Thanks,

Lance

2013-08-11 1:42 AM
in reply to: mx119

User image

Veteran
North Bay Area, CA
Subject: RE: Coke on the run
I would try it on your run. But stay away from diet. It doesn't have the sugar content that regular coke has.
2013-08-11 3:50 AM

User image

Champion
Evergreen, Colorado

Originally posted by mx119 I have read that many people suggest drinking coke during the later stages of the run. This is my first full, and since it is a bad idea to try things on race day you did not try in training I have the following questions. When would be the best time to try this out, long bike, long run, or perhaps on a brick? Is it only "Coke" brand soft drink, or do people drink other types (dp, pepsi, etc..)? Thanks, Lance

Coke is the nectar of the gods...it's also called Ironman Crack for a reason....

Definitely try it out beforehand, but part of the point is that it's easy pure sugar that hits your system quickly and doesn't upset most folks' stomachs.

Sometimes on really long rides if I stop at a gas station to refill fluids I will fill a bike bottle with icy cold coke...DELICIOUS.

The only problem with coke is that once you go to coke you usually have to stay with the coke...you have to keep that sugar rush going to your body. :D  My goal was to get halfway through my IM run without resorting to coke so that I wouldn't be drinking it all day.  I made it to mile 8 or so and then had to start hitting the coke...I drank coke at every aid station from there until the finish.

Mmmmm....coke....

2013-08-11 12:02 PM

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

Coke will likely only be available on the run, so try it out on one of your training long runs.

SOME races will open it early in the day so it's intentionally flat by the time you drink it on the run. My most recent races it was being opened on the fly so it was super fizzy (and rarely cold). If that's the case, you might want to only take a few sips and don't overdo it. I burped a lot on my last Ironman due to this.

Recent races I've done the "brand" has varied from Coke to Wal-Mart off-brand Cola to RC Cola.

2013-08-12 8:12 AM

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA
I would not bother trying it in training. You take it later in the run because you are sick of everything else. Same with chicken broth.
2013-08-12 9:30 AM
in reply to: JohnnyKay

User image

Expert
, Michigan
It's just another form of simple sugar. Nothing magic about it other than the mental benefit for some. It's also a myth that you can't stop once you start. Nothing new on race day.

2013-08-12 9:34 AM

User image

Champion
Philly 'burbs

Originally posted by JohnnyKay I would not bother trying it in training. You take it later in the run because you are sick of everything else. Same with chicken broth.

Chocolate chip cookies and coke around mile 17 for me

2013-08-12 10:00 AM

User image

Pro
CyFair

Originally posted by JohnnyKay I would not bother trying it in training. You take it later in the run because you are sick of everything else. Same with chicken broth.

x2

2013-08-12 11:37 AM
in reply to: DV 1

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA
Originally posted by DV 1

Nothing new on race day.

Another myth.

(Actually, it's generally good advice. But, sort of like the 10% 'rule', it's more of a guideline.)
2013-08-12 1:04 PM

User image

Expert
Salem
In my last race Vineman Full I went to Cola right away off the bike with fruit alternating with gatorade each aide station. Stuck with it the whole run. Pulled me out of my lack of energy at the start of the run.

2013-08-12 1:10 PM
in reply to: TriGuyBri

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan
I never tried it before I did my first IM but I have an iron stomach. I would not try it on the bike try some on one of your long runs if you want to but I don't think its a MUST do either. The run at IM is like a sports food buffet. You never know what is going to appeal to you. Usually grapes and sugar cookies seem like the most brilliant foods to me. Put something in your run special needs bag to look forward to. A special treat or a picture or whatever. Its nice to have something to look forward to at the 1/2 way point of the marathon

2013-08-12 2:36 PM

Usually it's flat and warm. I like it better, actually, with fizz. Settles the gut rot a little. I've only seen it on the run.

But it has sugar and some caffeine and doesn't taste like gatorade...which are nice things.
2013-08-13 7:47 AM

User image

Regular
Charleston, SC
The last five IMs I've done the "Coke" is a generic Sams Club Cola, not quite the taste of Coke, not sure of sugar content. Might want to get some for the training
2013-08-13 11:19 AM
in reply to: Socks

User image

Veteran
St. Louis

Originally posted by Socks I never tried it before I did my first IM but I have an iron stomach. I would not try it on the bike try some on one of your long runs if you want to but I don't think its a MUST do either. The run at IM is like a sports food buffet. You never know what is going to appeal to you. Usually grapes and sugar cookies seem like the most brilliant foods to me. Put something in your run special needs bag to look forward to. A special treat or a picture or whatever. Its nice to have something to look forward to at the 1/2 way point of the marathon

I completely agree with everything socks said.  Part of the fun (well, maybe fun isn't the right word) of the IM is figuring out on the fly how to fuel yourself towards the end of the day.  It's pretty easy to stick to your nutrition plan through the bike and early on in the run, but there's probably going to be a point where just the thought of one more gu or gatorade or cliff bar is enough to make you want to vomit.  That's when you have to start experimenting, and why they offer so many different things. 

I don't know how you could train for it.  In my experience, you never know what's the food or drink that will work at the moment.  It doesn't just vary from race to race, it'll change from one aid station to the next.  You might find at mile 20 coke is the greatest thing ever.  And by mile 22 you can't keep it down but potato chips are amazing.  

2013-08-14 7:50 AM
in reply to: kevin_trapp

User image

Veteran
Some great advice in this thread.....especially the one of putting pictures in your special needs bag. Never even thought of that and I will definitely do it.

I've never really tried taking in sugar during my long runs, but am now considering it. There is a brand of "natural" candy at Target that I just got and love and may test that on my long run to see if I can stomach it. I love Pepsi Max, but that is considered a diet drink so not sure if I can do that although I guess everyone is different so.....perhaps.....
2013-08-14 10:04 AM
in reply to: kevin_trapp

User image

Champion
Philly 'burbs

Originally posted by kevin_trapp

In my experience, you never know what's the food or drink that will work at the moment.  It doesn't just vary from race to race, it'll change from one aid station to the next.  You might find at mile 20 coke is the greatest thing ever.  And by mile 22 you can't keep it down but potato chips are amazing.  

Reading this gave me the realization that the last 10K of Ironman is the closest I will ever get to knowing what it's like to be pregnant and not knowing what food will be palatable at any given moment.

2013-08-14 10:04 AM
in reply to: FurnaceM3

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA
Originally posted by FurnaceM3

Some great advice in this thread.....especially the one of putting pictures in your special needs bag. Never even thought of that and I will definitely do it.

I've never really tried taking in sugar during my long runs, but am now considering it. There is a brand of "natural" candy at Target that I just got and love and may test that on my long run to see if I can stomach it. I love Pepsi Max, but that is considered a diet drink so not sure if I can do that although I guess everyone is different so.....perhaps.....

You've never used Gatorade or some other sports drink on a long run? No gels or anything else for calories? All the carbs you get from those are sugars of some sort. There is NO reason to take a diet drink while exercising unless you just want hydration. In that case, it's usually easiest to stick with water. The reason people use Coke is that it has sugar (carbs) and water (hydration). And many people find it tastes good.
2013-08-14 1:06 PM

User image

I'm hoping they serve Coke Zero at Canada.  I'm on a diet and don't want to gain weight
2013-08-14 1:08 PM
in reply to: mroudabush

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas

Originally posted by mroudabush The last five IMs I've done the "Coke" is a generic Sams Club Cola, not quite the taste of Coke, not sure of sugar content. Might want to get some for the training

Surprised

Aaaahhhh, someday, perhaps.

Had a coke after a long bike/run recently (testing out the Timberman course and, like an oasis rising from the desert, there was a store right at the beach where we finished and went for a refreshing dip).  Hadn't had a sugared tonic in years, I think.

Best. Drink. Ever.

Even beat chocolate milk as an after, and that's high praise.  Had it not been such a long day, I'd likely not have even thought about trying it.  I'll definitely consider it on the run if I'm flagging.

Matt

2013-08-14 1:42 PM

User image

Veteran
Originally posted by JohnnyKay

Originally posted by FurnaceM3

You've never used Gatorade or some other sports drink on a long run? No gels or anything else for calories? All the carbs you get from those are sugars of some sort. There is NO reason to take a diet drink while exercising unless you just want hydration. In that case, it's usually easiest to stick with water. The reason people use Coke is that it has sugar (carbs) and water (hydration). And many people find it tastes good.

No, I do use sports drinks (EFS, Gatorade, Perform) and have used GU chomps and Cytomax gels, but I guess I don't consider those "sugary" type foods even though I know there is some in them. I don't typically take Coke or candy on my workouts, but may just experiment just to see what it's like.
2013-08-14 1:51 PM
in reply to: FurnaceM3

User image

Gels are pretty much liquid candy.  I have considered eating a chocolate one for dessert when the cupboards were otherwise bare (didn't though )

2013-08-16 10:36 AM
in reply to: ChrisM

User image

Master
Rogersville, Alabama
Don't forget the chicken broth!
2013-08-16 5:35 PM
in reply to: #4826085

User image

Master
Charlotte
Yes there will be a time late on the run when someone will hand you a coke instead of perform. U will immediately think they handed you the nectar of the gods. After that point, no turning back.

Dont see a reason to ever train with it. It's coke, the same thing u have been drinking for 20 years.
2013-08-17 11:00 PM

User image

Veteran
Denver
Coke on the run is PURE HEAVEN!!!!! I tried it for the first time at the Boulder 70.3. I started drinking it at the third aid station. Sweet baby Jesus, it was awesome!! I don't ever drink regular pop. Sometimes diet pop, but never fully sugared....and only "clear" diet sodas. I never tried it during training either.

2013-08-18 1:13 AM
in reply to: Dino019

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA
Ran a 50 mile race today that was on a 2.5 loop and through the first 2/3rds of the race was on gel, shotblox, and G2.  Switched to potato chips (salt), water, and Coke for the latter stages of the race.  Got an immediate pick me up from the Coke and just craved it at the end of each loop.  I'd start to walk away but would have to go back for a second cup.  Mmmmm..it was so good.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Coke on the run Rss Feed  

of 2

RELATED POSTS

HIM - Long run or consistent shorter runs.....

Started by ChrisM
Views: 2972 Posts: 13

2011-02-09 5:28 PM ChrisM

Flat coke?

Started by wbayek
Views: 6021 Posts: 23

2010-07-24 9:11 PM erodda

Run Training Idea - Running Hope Through America

Started by summergirl
Views: 681 Posts: 1

2010-05-01 10:25 AM summergirl

IT Band...run or don't run?

Started by Sluggo312
Views: 2070 Posts: 13

2010-04-30 2:12 PM kevmk81

How to use coke on the run Pages: 1 2

Started by Gerrard
Views: 3511 Posts: 41

2009-02-20 3:14 PM infinIT 1
RELATED ARTICLES
date : February 28, 2012
author : greggseltzer
comments : 6
Why barefoot running is not suited for the average runner.

date : July 29, 2011
author : alicefoeller
comments : 3
Third in a series of three articles about the basics, the niceties and the luxuries
date : July 28, 2011
author : AMSSM
comments : 0
I can train for half marathons on pavement and on trails, but as soon as I change it up to gravel or loose dirt my knee swells and the pain it causes is unreal. Any ideas why this happens?

date : February 11, 2009
author : AMSSM
At 30 to 40 minutes into my run, my foot starts to go numb. If I keep going, the foot goes totally numb.
date : July 9, 2007
author : gsmacleod
Taking the time to have your running form analyzed can help many athletes run further, faster or both!

date : May 9, 2007
author : Nancy Clark
After a hard workout, I really like having a Coke or Pepsi. How bad is this for recovery and for my health? Should I stop drinking orange juice because it is loaded with (fattening) carbs and sugar?
date : April 11, 2007
author : Coach AJ
Discussion on the walk/run technique, run injury and cadence, barefoot running, staying aero on long climbs and HIM preparation

date : March 22, 2007
author : KevinKonczak
Discussions on indoor bike workouts, IM fueling, coke or broth, bikes and swimming exercises.