General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Island lake Summer Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-08-11 1:39 PM

User image

Veteran
Ferndale
Subject: Island lake Summer Triathlon
Race is a week from today. Anyone else in?

I'm in, I will be doing my first Olympic. I'm brining a friend, it will be her first tri.

I am almost as nervous about my first Olympic as I was before my first race.....

2013-08-11 4:58 PM
in reply to: caffer

User image

Master
Livonia, MI
Subject: RE: Island lake Summer Triathlon

Originally posted by caffer Race is a week from today. Anyone else in? I'm in, I will be doing my first Olympic. I'm brining a friend, it will be her first tri. I am almost as nervous about my first Olympic as I was before my first race.....

You're prepared, you'll do fabulously.  But you should definitely get in one more swim at Trout on Thursday evening, and I hear that 5:15P is the best for swim training Laughing

2013-08-11 6:24 PM

User image

I have been tossing this one around for a bit, still haven't registered, but appears to still be open. Was planning on my first Tri to be the following week at Holly(already signed up for that one) but seriously considering this one, or the fall Island lake event on Sept 5th. I may just go for it!
2013-08-11 6:32 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

New user

Kailua Kona, Hawaii

Not racing the Summer one, but I'll be there for the Fall one (if I ever stop being lazy and sign-up for it.) :P

Originally posted by noelle1230

But you should definitely get in one more swim at Trout on Thursday evening, and I hear that 5:15P is the best for swim training Laughing

x2  Laughing

Edited by ceruleanpure 2013-08-11 6:33 PM
2013-08-11 10:54 PM
in reply to: noelle1230

User image

Veteran
Ferndale

Originally posted by caffer Race is a week from today. Anyone else in? I'm in, I will be doing my first Olympic. I'm brining a friend, it will be her first tri. I am almost as nervous about my first Olympic as I was before my first race.....

You're prepared, you'll do fabulously.  But you should definitely get in one more swim at Trout on Thursday evening, and I hear that 5:15P is the best for swim training Laughing

I was out there this morning, I was thinking about you guys. If I can swing it with work I will be there.

Woody, it is a great race. Let us know if you decide to do it.
2013-08-12 6:50 AM

Regular
Plymouth, MI
Originally posted by caffer

I was out there this morning, I was thinking about you guys. If I can swing it with work I will be there.

You'll do great at the race...especially if you get in that last swim at Trout this Thursday!

2013-08-12 8:13 AM

User image

Ok, talked me into it, lol. Registered this morning, Looking forward to my first attempt at this!
2013-08-12 8:17 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Detroit, Michigan
It will also be my first Olympic and I'm also nervous. I've been putting in long training Saturdays at the park though, so at least I know the course well.

I've been swimming at Trout Lake every Saturday and because it's shallower and warmer, I haven't been wearing a wetsuit. (I think the last time I wore one was my last tri in June!) Now I'm nervous about the Kent Lake temps, if I should just swim without one, make a game-day decision based on temperature before the race, etc.

Unfortunately I'm lucky to leave my desk by 6:15, otherwise I'd love to come swimming with you guys!
2013-08-13 1:01 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Veteran
Ferndale
Thanks for the votes of confidence, guys!!!

Woody. Cool, I'll keep an eye out for you.

Do you guys want to try and meet up somewhere on race morning?

Looks like I will be able to make it to Trout on Thursday. See you guys there!

Edited by caffer 2013-08-13 1:02 PM
2013-08-17 12:47 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Detroit, Michigan
I'm going back and forth between wetsuit or no... 75 degrees isn't that bad (although it seems a little warm for Kent Lake), and I haven't worn one since my last tri in June. Thoughts?
2013-08-19 10:08 PM
in reply to: Miles around Midtown

User image

Veteran
Ferndale

2013-08-20 7:18 AM

User image

So, how did everyone do?

Race Report: http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp...

Caffer, enjoyed reading your race report.

This was my first Tri, and I have to say I thought the event was fantastic! Had a blast, met some very nice and helpful people that got me going in the right direction. Beat my goal (1:30) by 3+ minutes, and am hoping to make it back for the fall event!
2013-08-20 8:04 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Detroit, Michigan

So, how did everyone do?

Race Report: http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp...

Nice report!

My first Olympic (ninth total tri) and I made all three of my goals: finished under 3 hours (2:59:19), won a bottle of wine (third place in my age group) and finished strong and wanting to do another one.

I hit a road closure on the Lodge on the way over and arrived super late and freaking out. I forgot to do bodyglide and sunscreen, barely had time to warm up, etc. I had a lot of trouble sighting to the second buoy because it was right into the sun, so I was surprised I finished mid-pack on the swim. I also didn't realize we'd started 11 minutes late, so when I saw 8:20 a.m. on my CatEye I figured my sub-three goal was out the window and to just go hard for that bottle of wine prize. I was glad I had ridden the course once a week all summer, that's for sure. Forgot where I racked my bike in T2 and freaked out for about three seconds until I thought, "Hello, the spots are NUMBERED, just go down the rack!" Had a good run passing people one by one, feeling surprisingly good.

Maybe I'm still in my honeymoon phase but I think the Olympic is my new favorite distance. Just long enough to make it worth your while to drive all the way out to the site, not so long that it takes up your whole day or take a week to recover from. =)
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Island lake Summer Triathlon Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

OFFICIAL THREAD: BT Unofficial Triathlon - Island Lake - Sunday, May 15th Pages: 1 ... 2 3 4 5

Started by hamiltks10
Views: 7941 Posts: 111

2011-05-23 9:21 PM matt3liv

2011 Unofficial Triathlon - Island Lake

Started by hamiltks10
Views: 1201 Posts: 6

2011-04-07 11:04 AM jazz82482

Island Lake of Novi Triathlon in one week!

Started by corlas0105
Views: 1591 Posts: 17

2009-08-19 10:16 AM corlas0105

Island Lake Triathlon Presented by Cadence Cycle : Official Thread Pages: 1 2

Started by hamiltks10
Views: 3516 Posts: 29

2009-06-26 12:32 PM hamiltks10

Island Lake (Novi) Triathlon

Started by davhamm
Views: 1185 Posts: 7

2007-08-27 10:05 PM kimta
RELATED ARTICLES
date : January 26, 2012
author : dantheman1123
comments : 1
My first triathlon was at age 56. At first I was just the cameraman at my daughter's first triathlon, then I am doing the races that she has done.

date : March 4, 2010
author : alex jb
comments : 0
The triathlon made a lot of sense as I could fit the training around early mornings and other times that wouldn't eat too much into my family time. Things never go completely to plan do they?
date : February 5, 2010
author : CavalloHJ
comments : 5
I found a sprint, the Lake Las Vegas Triathlon, that was happening four months down the road and signed myself up; much to the surprise of friends and family.

date : August 21, 2008
author : vm354
comments : 1
How Pilates training helped a wanna-be triathlete realize the goal of completing a half-Ironman, Ironman 70.3 Rhode Island.
date : August 10, 2007
author : Terese Luikens
The first time I ventured into the deep murky green lake and could not see the bottom my muscles tensed and my imagined fears surfaced. What exactly lies beneath?

date : January 7, 2007
author : Writebrained
Both the Lake Triathlon Shoe CX210TRI and the Lake Road Shoe CX225 offer distinct advantages. I tested both shoes and found them to be extremely comfortable, good looking and durable.
date : December 31, 2006
author : TriSquirrel
comments : 2
A description of my experiences during my first triathlon. It was a great experience. I’m in better shape than I’ve ever been.

date : April 2, 2006
author : mikericci
This summer, I am planning on doing three triathlons. What should my strategy be for training, tapering and resting during, before and after each race?