General Discussion Triathlon Talk » dehydrated after bike- suggestions? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-08-11 3:35 PM

New user
Subject: dehydrated after bike- suggestions?
the last three weeks I have ridden 50-56 miles on the weekend. I feel great, but when I get home I am badly dehydrated, as indicated by very dark urine. I am about 190 lbs and a very heavy sweater.

I am currently drinking 28 oz/hour of perform, and also drinking a 12 oz concentrate of perpetuem. I like the calorie amount I have, as I am just below 300 calories per hour. however, I don't think I am drinking enough. I don't want to drink any more calories, but I don't know how to work in more liquid. should I dilute my perform? add a bottle of water with electrolytes? drink another bottle of perform and just deal with the extra calories?

2013-08-11 3:55 PM
in reply to: trebor587

User image

Master
Loughborough, England
Subject: RE: dehydrated after bike- suggestions?
You could just add a bottle of plain water. No calories and perfectly good at hydrating over a 50ish mile ride.
2013-08-11 4:05 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cypress, TX

You're simply not drinking enough water.  I'm not sure you need more electrolytes as you're probably taking in 1200mg/hour which is a lot but you're a bigger guy and a heavy sweater so that might be appropriate for you.  The concentrate of Perpetuem needs to be chased with water which you're not doing as you're chasing it with Perform which throws the whole osmolality and CHO % way off.  What this means is the increased osmolality is actually causing your body to leach fluid from itself in order to aid in absorption and digestion.  This is likely the root cause of your dehydration.

Try drinking a bottle of water every hour in addition to what you're already doing.

2013-08-11 4:13 PM

User image

Expert
Greenville, SC
your pee is probably that dark from the amount of electrolytes your body is flushing out, you are taking a lot of them in... are you showing any other signs of dehydration other than discolored pee?

you are saying you feel great... which to me does not raise a flag that you are dehydrated any.
2013-08-11 4:23 PM
in reply to: #4826306

New user
well, I get a bit tired near the end, but I don't think this is a sign of being dehydrated. I can still keep a decent pace, just feel my legs getting tired. I added the perform this season. Last year I trained only with perpetuem. if I can stomach the perpetuem, does the perform buy me anything? I only added it because they serve it on the course and it seems to work for me.
2013-08-11 4:35 PM

User image

Expert
Greenville, SC
Originally posted by trebor587

well, I get a bit tired near the end, but I don't think this is a sign of being dehydrated. I can still keep a decent pace, just feel my legs getting tired. I added the perform this season. Last year I trained only with perpetuem. if I can stomach the perpetuem, does the perform buy me anything? I only added it because they serve it on the course and it seems to work for me.

from what i know about concentrates... they aren't meant to be used for a hydration source... but a nutrition source. having liquids calories go in means they get into your blood stream faster and they are easier to take in. i would opt for just the perform and and gels or something else as needed each hour in addition to the 28oz of perform you are taking in. the concentrate would be good to take in while drinking plain water in addition to it. ie mix one bottle that will last you the whole ride and pace your drinking to make it last while taking fluids from your other water bottles.

fatigue in your legs is pretty typical of anyone who rides 50 miles at a good effort. you're fine as long as you don't see a huge spike/drop in your heart rate that you can't recover from and you feel like you have hit a wall.

2013-08-11 7:12 PM
in reply to: #4826328

New user
three years of doing the half iron distance and I feel more confused about nutrition and hydration now than I was then. thanks for the feedback.
2013-08-11 8:02 PM

User image

Did you by chance weigh yourself before and after the ride? That would be helpful in figuring out how dehydrated you might be getting. If you're losing a lot of weight then you could be coming up short on fluids on the ride. Then you can adjust your fluid intake to see how it goes. Here in Florida I know some bigger guys who really have to work on making sure they get enough fluid during longer hot rides.

2013-08-11 8:06 PM
in reply to: #4826421

User image

Veteran
Houston, TX
Do a shorter workout, about 30 or 60 minutes insert the same conditions. Don't drink anything during. Weigh yourself before and after. This is the rate of water you will losing and need to replace.
2013-08-11 8:11 PM
in reply to: chris00nj

User image

Champion
NOVA - Ironic for an Endurance Athlete
Drink more water.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » dehydrated after bike- suggestions? Rss Feed