Firm Racing
72F / 22C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 00m 17s
Overall Rank = 24/177
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 1/6
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at 4am and drove 75 minutes to Bristol, Rhode Island. Had everything packed the night before, so it was literally roll out of bed, grab coffee and go.
Event warmup:

Took the bike for a 5min spin to check gearing, a little stretching , and then headed down to water for a quick warm up swim.
Swim
  • 07m 10s
  • 440 yards
  • 01m 38s / 100 yards
Comments:

Race management was off on the high-tide cycle--therefore the deepest the water was at any point was 4 ft. Leaving shore and coming back in, you had to walk a portion because it was too shallow to swim. And at each buoy, everyone literally stopped swimming, stood up and walk around buoy, then continued to swim on. Rock ocean floor around. Race management did lay out outdoor carpet run when you exited the water up to the grassy transition area. Helped with getting less cuts all over feet.

What would you do differently?:

Nothing. Hard to swim when a lot of folks around you are literally walking the swim course.
Transition 1
  • 00m 48s
Comments:

Uneventful transiton. Less then a minute as it should be. Fast, clean transition times are what helped me save valuable seconds in this sprint race.

Nothing
Bike
  • 30m 54s
  • 10 miles
  • 19.67 mile/hr
Comments:

Knowing my run would suffer because of lower leg issues I have been suffering from all damn year, I pushed hard on the bike, hoping to build a cushion of time for the upcoming run. I had the fastest bike time in my age-group and 18 fastest time overall. Very pleased. Good roads, only 2 areas of choppy road conditions. The park was not closed off to outside traffic, so there were a couple of times where there was a car straddling the roads middle yellow line, and bike riders on both sides--kind of hairy.

Nothing. Kept bike shoes clipped in the whole time. Started the bike segment and slide feet into shoes 1/4 mile in. Same when ending, feet out on top of shoes, off quickly into T2. Saved valuable seconds.
Transition 2
  • 00m 40s
Comments:

Uneventful, again less then a minute transition as it should be.

Nothing.
Run
  • 20m 44s
  • 3 miles
  • 06m 47s  min/mile
Comments:

My run training has been literally zero, due to injury, so I knew this would be my weak segment. I literally ran along, until I had to stop twice for a quick 5-7 second stretch of my lower leg getting tight, but then continued on. Cardiovascular wise, I am not where I want to be. I pushed what I could and was hoping to hold onto position.

Nothing, I need to heal from my injury and focus on my run, PLAIN AND SIMPLE!
Post race
Warm down:

Light stretching, snack and water. Changed clothes and watched others finish sitting in the shade. Waited for awards ceremony.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Nagging year long run injury.

Event comments:

I knew coming into this race that my run was no where near what I am expecting, so my goal was to have a good swim, push hard and fast on the bike segment to build a time gap, and then hope it was enough for the run. I definately had a poor run in my opinion, compared to what I know I can do when running healthy. Pushed nearly a 7 min/mile pace, which I know I can do faster. Two major things helped me to the 1st place age-group win: pushing the pace for a fast bike split time, and getting out of each transition in less then 48 seconds. The second place racer in my AG only finished 6 seconds behind me. He had a faster swim, and run segment then me, but took longer in T1. Add up all those seconds here and there, and I was able to nip him in the placing, only barely. Having a distinct race plan, hope it works, and keeping the transitions very, very simple are what were allowed me to finish where I did.

Nice small atmopshere race in a beautiful park. Bummer the swim segment was so shallow to really push the swim speeds, but otherwise, nice race. I would definately come back to do this event again.

Last updated: 2013-08-12 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:07:10 | 440 yards | 01m 38s / 100yards
Age Group: 2/6
Overall: 52/177
Performance: Good
Suit: Full
Course: Triangle type course, counter clock wise around two buoys.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 74F / 23C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 00:48
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:30:54 | 10 miles | 19.67 mile/hr
Age Group: 1/6
Overall: 18/177
Wind: Little
Course: Three loops, each 3.30 miles long within Colt State Park. 95% flat with two areas of slight decline which you could make up some time with speed. I believe I hit 31 MPH on the final decline area. Otherwise, maily flat ride segment.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills:
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:40
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:20:44 | 03 miles | 06m 47s  min/mile
Age Group: 2/6
Overall: 41/177
Performance: Average
Course: Out and back along water, on paved path. Little shade. Mainly flat run course.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2013-08-12 8:13 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: Wild Dog Triathlon
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Wild Dog Triathlon Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Wild Dog Triathlon

Started by vm354
Views: 1805 Posts: 4

2008-08-20 1:33 PM smur38

Wild Dog Triathlon

Started by poweke
Views: 1282 Posts: 1

2008-08-17 12:16 PM poweke

Wild Dog Triathlon

Started by time2tri25
Views: 2891 Posts: 3

2008-07-09 6:04 AM toshman

Wild Dog Triathlon

Started by RI_Tri22
Views: 1672 Posts: 3

2007-08-21 1:48 PM time2tri25

Wild Dog Triathlon

Started by Rhino42
Views: 1139 Posts: 1

2007-02-26 11:44 AM Rhino42
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 12, 2013
author : mistymills
comments : 5
Dog training techniques have surprising parallels to triathlon training and race preparation. All the lessons I THOUGHT were for my dogs started seeming very applicable to me! Here's what I learned.

date : October 4, 2011
author : MikeyT1298
comments : 6
First time triathlete conquers swim struggle and finishes at the front of the pack
date : August 8, 2011
author : Gina60
comments : 16
I can't run a seven-minute mile anymore, but that doesn't take away from the joy of finishing

date : April 27, 2011
author : brumby11
comments : 5
An impending baby inspires a father to become fit, along the way discovering world of triathlon
date : April 16, 2008
author : Z-dog
comments : 0
Kona 2006 finishline triathlon wallpaper provided by Z-dog.

date : April 16, 2008
author : Z-dog
Kona 2006 Swim Exit triathlon wallpaper provided by Z-dog
date : January 1, 2008
author : YourYoga
The focus for this second session are the Sun Salutations that are comprised of 12 poses that flow from one to another, repeated four times.

date : July 17, 2005
author : ChiRunning
Running does not cause injury. Poor running form does. Running is more enjoyable, and safer if you know what you’re doing. And yes, even old dogs can learn new tricks.