General Discussion Race Reports! » Age Group National Championship - Sprint Distance Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

Age Group National Championship - Sprint Distance - Triathlon

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
United States
USA Triathlon
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 31m 44s
Overall Rank = 920/1099
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 32/38
Pre-race routine:

I hope you're sitting down for this, because it's going to be long... though your butt might get numb, so you might want to read this in stages and take a break somewhere, go get something to eat, maybe visit the loo, and come back when you're ready to lose any feeling in your legs again.

Firstly - this was an AWESOME weekend. I mean, seriously awesome. The race itself totally sucked big hairy donkey balls for me, but everything else about the weekend was fan-freakin-tastic!!

It actually all started off on Thursday when Salty (Adrienne) got into town and we headed to the Bad Happy Poutine place in Chicago... and with our own bottles of vino (beer for Salty) as it's a BYOB place. OMG - it was SO freakin' good. A plate of fries covered in cheese curds and smothered in gravy. I'm pretty sure I took in my entire caloric intake for the week on that one plate. Well, after the bottle(s) of wine and the poutine - we had to hoof it to get her to the boat dock in time for her architecture tour. Let's just say that wine & poutine & running aren't the best mix... and Tony and I took the speed waaaayyy down for the walk home.

Friday I had to work (booo!) and then took the train up to Milwaukee to meet up with Salty and Switch (Elesa) for a drink or two and the biggest plate of nachos anyone has ever seen. People took pictures of this thing, a bridal party came in to take a look, the server didn't even know that the thing came in 2 sizes... it was epic. And getting to meet both Salty and Switch was just the beginning of the fantasticness.

Chris Gregg (cgregg) showed up at the bar just as Switch had to leave, and the poor guy hadn't had a single thing to eat all day after a somewhat disastrous trip from Cleveland, through Chicago (I waved at random cars in the morning just in case one of them turned out to be him), almost getting run off the road, a busted bearing that needed to be fixed, and finally to Milwaukee for 8:30pm or so. The guy needed FOOD! BTers are a really great bunch of people and Chris is no exception - it was great to meet him, and I'm really glad he made it to Milwaukee safe and sound. Tony eventually showed up too for some eats and then it was off to the hotel to check in and get some sleep before getting up in the morning to see the Dumster part of the WhizzzDumps race the Olympic.

Yeaaaahhhh... so the hotel room was so small that you couldn't open the door into the room without hitting the bedside table, nor could you open the bathroom door without hitting the bedside table on the other side. Sigh, oh well, at least it was a place to sleep... or was it? Baby screaming starting at 4am made it clear that this hotel is not soundproofed. This went on for over an hour and a half before the people eventually got up and left the hotel room (I guess they were racing) with the now happy toddler chatting exceptionally loudly all the way down the hall. Finally, some sleep! Of course, this meant that I missed every single one of Whizzz's texts until about 8:15am when we opened our eyes again.

OH CRAP - it's 8:15!! So much for getting to the race early. Okay, first... coffee. Priorities here, people! And coffee is essential to life. Whew - Starbucks IN our hotel so no need to panic and then off to the race site where we find Whizzz, go yell for the Dumpster ever place we plausibly can, find Terri who is volunteering at one of the crosswalks, and chase wieners. No, I'm not kidding about the last one! I also got to see cgregg cross the line, Switch on the run and the Schmizers once Scott was done. There was also a Chrissy Wellington sighting, and we got to see Sister Madonna Buder cross the finish line, which was so inspiring.

Tony and I hadn't eaten ANYTHING all day (now 1pm-ish), so we made the executive decision (after not having any plans confirmed by this point) to go get some food and figure things out. Lunch done and we head back to the expo as that's where the car was and wander around for a bit before you're allowed to rack your bike for the sprint starting at 4pm..

OHMYGOSH... it's Chrissy Wellington and Sister Madonna Buder just standing around in a nearly deserted expo!!! Tony had done about 4 stories on Chrissy and British triathlon in general and so went to introduce himself which led into about a 15 minute conversation with the two of them and a couple of pictures... they were two of the most humble and gracious people I have ever had the honour to meet.

Next up on the BT meet and greet are the Crownys! David was doing his first race since crashing during a crit and needing surgery to put his shoulder back together, so this was going to be a great way to come back from that just 11 weeks later. We got everyone settled, picked up our race packets and free compression socks and started the drive to the Weningers!

Okay, so this is where the decision-making part of the weekend may have gone out the faching window. It was SO much fun to hang out with Clint and Terri & Amy Jo and Craig, and there was much silliness and a ridiculously big bottle of wine. Note to self... don't ever have dinner with a bunch of friends when they're not racing the next day. And don't ever believe them when they tell you to have more wine because "it's ONLY a sprint". And don't ever believe that you can have more wine because "Clint raced a half still drunk". These people are clearly evil as they are not racing the next day. ;)

We were in bed by 10:30pm, but the damage was done. I went to bed with the hazy knowledge that tomorrow wasn't going to go well, but it's okay, I mean, it's ONLY a sprint, right?? ;)

Event warmup:

I had absolutely NO appetite in the morning, so had coffee, a 5hr energy and figured I would have the Gu that I put into my transition bag before the swim... though as I'm taking everything out of my transition bag to set up... I can't find it! I was SURE I put it in the bag, but somehow I wandered off... great, so no food for the race. But that's okay, because it's ONLY a sprint, right?? ;)

Basically this came down to trying not to vomit, using the port-a-loo, and getting into my wetsuit.

I did jump into the water for a bit and did a couple of strokes, but that was about it. My tummy wouldn't have handled anything more than that.
Swim
  • 16m 29s
  • 750 meters
  • 02m 12s / 100 meters
Comments:

Oh boy... where to begin... I guess at the beginning?

I was in the water, with my earplugs in place and my goggles on, looking up at the dock and I didn't even hear the announcements for the countdown so when the horn went off I had no clue - just that everyone else was swimming and I wasn't! Time to try and get down to business, so I went off like a shot and therefore got my heart-rate WAY too high and then was wondering how long it would be until I actually threw up in the water. I made it almost to the bridge when my goggles came off my face the first time... and I had to reach down into the water to try and grab them before they were lost to the deep forever. I slapped the goggles back on my face and put my head down to keep going.

Okay, now were down to business.... around the first rectangle buoy... and then the secon... nope. There go the goggles again. ARGH! What the EFF is going on?? Okay, slap the goggles on AGAIN and keep going.

I had so many thoughts of stopping, giving up, throwing up, and just caving. But I didn't... and I still don't really know why I decided to keep going other than the thought that I might finally, FINALLY beat Tony in a head to head race...
What would you do differently?:

Um... Let's see -

1) NOT drink a bottle of wine the night before a race?

2) Grab the correct goggles (turns out I grabbed Tony's by mistake - and his are a different size than mine)

3) NOT drink a bottle of wine the night before a race. This cannot be emphasized enough. Seriously.
Transition 1
  • 02m 53s
Comments:

What the hell was I doing in here for almost 3 minutes? Baking a freakin' pie???

In actual fact, my wetsuit got stuck on my timing chip and when I went to go and put my left foot into my bike shoe it wouldn't go in... what the? Oh. Oh look. There's the Gu that I was looking for this morning. Awesome.

Figure out how to get my wetsuit off faster, the Gu was just dumb.
Bike
  • 40m 25s
  • 20 kms
  • 29.51 km/hr
Comments:

*Urp*... upset stomach....

I've been pretty damn happy with my biking most days... and then it all came off the rails this day. I had NO legs. I don't know where the hell my legs were, but they weren't on the bike with me.

By the time I hauled my butt out of the water and FINALLY got out of transition onto the road... there was NO ONE in front of me. I had no idea if I was even going the right way for the first 7 minutes or so, but I saw runners along the pathway that I was yelling "good job" to and got a few waves and smiles back at me - so that was nice!

Thankfully I finally got passed by someone so at least if I was going the wrong way, she was too! Heading up the first hill thing I saw Tony on the way back, and in my head made it my mission to reel him in... if I could actually hold anything down.

There was a LOT of dry heaving and burping (that almost turned into more than just a burp) on the bike. It took a while before I even wanted to risk trying some water for fear that it would just come right back up. Well, I eventually DID get some water down, and once I was okay with that, tried some Gatorade which was also tolerated.

I got passed a few more times like I was standing still, but still plodded on up and over the bridge and down the other side... and wait a second... is that Tony??? Why yes, yes it is - holy crap I need to try and find some speed SOMEWHERE!

I dug in and did the grind up to the top of the bridge where there were two paramedics who I thanked and said I was happy to be on the downhill when one of them said, "your husband says to slow down!!"...

Oh hell no - it's ON now Tony Goggs!!!

1) NOT drink a bottle of wine before the race

2) NOT drink a bottle of wine before the race

3) NOT drink a bottle of wine before the race

Yep, I think that covers it.
Transition 2
  • 01m 40s
Comments:

I know I lost some speed here - just feeling slow and couldn't get my butt in gear.

NOT drink a bottle of wine the night before a race.
Run
  • 30m 20s
  • 5 kms
  • 06m 06s  min/km
Comments:

Just out of transition the Crownys were yelling for me to hurry up because Tony was only 40 seconds in front of me!!!

Okay, I know I had just run an average of 8:34miles for a 3.2 mile run the other day... surely I could do it again, right??? Oh yeah, that bottle of wine thing. Sigh.

I actually DID do the first mile in 8:34, (and saw Tony on the way out who told me that I had him) but then almost as soon as I passed that first mile marker I got a side stitch like I've never had before. The stupid thing brought me to a complete standstill twice trying to stretch/breath/any other method I've ever heard of to try and get rid of it. The second mile took almost the entire 10 minutes which really killed my morale as more and more people sped by me. Holy crap those 16-18 year olds are FAST!!

After the two bouts of the stupid stitch bringing me to a stop, I was tired of dealing with it... I did a bunch of deep breathing and had a number of people run past me giving me encouragement, and eventually... oh my gosh... it's the 3 mile marker!!! I need to get my run on if I have ANY hope of beating Tony because he's such a good runner that he would destroy me on the run.

Then the blissful sounds of the announcer came through and I knew I was close to being done - YAY! Just keep running... just keep running... I got passed a couple more times as I was chugging up the finishers chute, but I just didn't care anymore. I was DONE!!

1) NOT drink a bottle of wine the night before a race

2) figure out how to not get a side stitch?

3) NOT drink a bottle of wine the night before a race.
Post race
Warm down:

No warm-down necessary... hydration and food yes, warm-down... no.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Geez... haven't we covered this already??

Event comments:

The race was REALLY well run and I'll definitely be back next year for some redemption.

And there will never, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever again be a bottle of wine the night before a race. :)

Profile Album

Last updated: 2013-06-18 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:16:29 | 750 meters | 02m 12s / 100meters
Age Group: 20/38
Overall: 748/1099
Performance: Bad
Suit: Sleeveless Orca
Course: Out and under the bridge trying not to hit the buoys or the docking thingys, keep to the left side of the sausage-looking buoy, a little rectangle action and then back on the right side of the sausage-looking buoy before dog-legging to the left and up the ridiculously steep swim exit with volunteers basically hauling you up the ramp as there's no way you'd be able to handle that on your own.
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Waves
Water temp: 70F / 21C Current: Low
200M Perf. Bad Remainder: Bad
Breathing: Bad Drafting: Bad
Waves: Navigation: Bad
Rounding: Bad
T1
Time: 02:53
Cap removal: Below average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:40:25 | 20 kms | 29.51 km/hr
Age Group: 30/38
Overall: 865/1099
Wind: Some
Course: Crap - I don't even remember the course. We went out onto the road one way, up a hill, came back down and over a big-azzed bridge... then back over the big-azzed bridge before heading back into to transition.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Below average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 01:40
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:30:20 | 05 kms | 06m 06s  min/km
Age Group: 36/38
Overall: 997/1099
Course: On the pathways beside the lake - it was nothing but flat and *should* have been fast...
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Bad
Mental exertion [1-5] 1
Physical exertion [1-5] 1
Good race? No
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2013-08-12 7:47 PM

User image

Champion
Austin, Texas
Subject: Age Group National Championship - Sprint Distance

2013-08-12 8:35 PM
in reply to: #4827477

User image

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio
Subject: RE: Age Group National Championship - Sprint Distance

You threw down a pretty decent race after a bottle of wine Wink  Congrats!

Love the Sister Madonna and Chrissie interaction, that is awesomeness1

BT'ers are great for race meet ups ---POST RACE when the wine can flow freely Tongue out 

2013-08-13 6:56 AM
in reply to: QueenZipp

User image

Regular
LHOTP
That sounds like an awesome weekend (well everything except the whole being with Tony part). Way to knock it down and still take care of business. Pure pro. That bottle of wine ain't got nothin on you, sista;)
2013-08-13 7:19 AM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida
Awesome job, you've learned an important lesson here! Somehow I am thinking that you may forget this lesson if you race with this group again though. Way to tough it out.
2013-08-13 8:53 AM
in reply to: cdban66

User image

Pennsylvania

Chase weiners?  Dare I ask what chase weiners means?

I will learn some lessons from you from this race, like to not drink a bottle of wine the night before a race!

Sooo cool you got to meet BTers, Manatees, Sister Buder and Chrissie Wellington.  I think it is a triathon grand slam!

Mmmm, poutine and nachos...yum...

A big congrats on sticking in there and finishing the race despite all the unpleasantries that were going on with your tummy and body.

2013-08-13 9:01 AM
in reply to: melbo55

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member
Awesome RR and it sounds like the weekend was much more fun.  Laughing

2013-08-13 10:26 AM

User image

Expert
Chicago
Nice RR! One of these races, the Ershks will have to finally meet the Biker/Goggses.
2013-08-13 10:39 AM

User image

OMG! Your comments could have been written by me! The weekend was SPECTACULAR and AWESOME and just an overall superb experience but my race SUCKED.AZZ.

LOVE your report!!!!!

Patti
2013-08-13 10:45 AM
in reply to: QueenZipp

User image

Champion
Austin, Texas
Originally posted by QueenZipp

You threw down a pretty decent race after a bottle of wine Wink  Congrats!

Love the Sister Madonna and Chrissie interaction, that is awesomeness1

BT'ers are great for race meet ups ---POST RACE when the wine can flow freely Tongue out 

Lol!!!   Thanks Judi... duly noted! 

2013-08-13 10:48 AM
in reply to: switch

User image

Champion
Austin, Texas

Originally posted by switch That sounds like an awesome weekend (well everything except the whole being with Tony part). Way to knock it down and still take care of business. Pure pro. That bottle of wine ain't got nothin on you, sista

The weekend as a whole was faching ah-may-zing!  (even the being with Tony part )

I'm thinking that there may have to be a Manatee girls weekend at some point... Innocent

2013-08-13 10:52 AM
in reply to: cdban66

User image

Champion
Austin, Texas

Originally posted by cdban66 Awesome job, you've learned an important lesson here! Somehow I am thinking that you may forget this lesson if you race with this group again though. Way to tough it out.

Yeaaaahhhh... I think this one is going to stick with me for a while.  No drinks until AFTER the race!  Undecided

2013-08-13 10:55 AM
in reply to: melbo55

User image

Champion
Austin, Texas
Originally posted by melbo55

Chase weiners?  Dare I ask what chase weiners means?

I will learn some lessons from you from this race, like to not drink a bottle of wine the night before a race!

Sooo cool you got to meet BTers, Manatees, Sister Buder and Chrissie Wellington.  I think it is a triathon grand slam!

Mmmm, poutine and nachos...yum...

A big congrats on sticking in there and finishing the race despite all the unpleasantries that were going on with your tummy and body.

Haha!  I'll have to find the picture somewhere... there were these hugely tall mascot things that were various wieners (hot dogs) wandering around, so we chased them for a while giggling our fool heads off at the fact that we were chasing wieners. 

It was a fantastic weekend, but I have now definitely learned that there should be NO booze before a race.  Learning hurts sometimes.  Yell

2013-08-13 10:55 AM
in reply to: jmhpsu93

User image

Master

After a coffee break and a loo break, I've finally finished reading this!

Thanks for passing on the lessons learned and throwing up the "Caution! Danger Ahead!" sign for those less experienced in the ways of wine.

Way to suck it up and embrace those hairy donkey balls.  All things considered, no reason to hang your head. You've got a whole year to get that bottle out of your system! Wink

2013-08-13 10:56 AM
in reply to: Ershk

User image

Champion
Austin, Texas

Originally posted by Ershk Nice RR! One of these races, the Ershks will have to finally meet the Biker/Goggses.

Yes!  That would be great!! 

2013-08-13 11:01 AM
in reply to: pugpenny

User image

Champion
Austin, Texas

Originally posted by pugpenny OMG! Your comments could have been written by me! The weekend was SPECTACULAR and AWESOME and just an overall superb experience but my race SUCKED.AZZ. LOVE your report!!!!! Patti

Ha!  Somehow it's comforting to know I'm not the only one who had a suck-azz day of racing. 

Thanks Patti! 

2013-08-13 11:03 AM
in reply to: 4agoodlife

User image

Champion
Austin, Texas
Originally posted by 4agoodlife

After a coffee break and a loo break, I've finally finished reading this!

Thanks for passing on the lessons learned and throwing up the "Caution! Danger Ahead!" sign for those less experienced in the ways of wine.

Way to suck it up and embrace those hairy donkey balls.  All things considered, no reason to hang your head. You've got a whole year to get that bottle out of your system! Wink

Lol - there was no embracing of the hairy donkey balls... the suckers just wouldn't go away! 

The bottle of wine was about 2.5 feet tall, and we finished it.  It will probably TAKE a whole year to get it out of my system!!  Undecided

2013-08-13 11:46 AM

User image

Champion
Southern Chicago Suburbs, IL

I'm honored that I got a mention in the RR.  Especially one that also mentions Chrissie and Sister Madonna.  My life is now complete. 

What a friggen fun weekend.  It was awesome.  SOOOOOOOO much fun.

2013-08-13 11:49 AM

User image

Chicago, IL
This RR is A-mazing. Hilarious.

I've done a couple of my training runs with a hangover (the downside of being the only one of my circle of friends who does tri's). They're usually pretty brutal, and I ALWAYS get a side stitch early in the run. Miserable.

Good job and, again, awesome report.
2013-08-13 11:50 AM
in reply to: crowny2

User image

Seattle

The only things that could have made this better would be:

A. You bringing wine with you on the bike and run ... like in a hoster or something

B. You riding the chili pepper with us

You guys are so awesome. I am really glad to have gotten to spend some time with you both. 

USA vs CANADA POUTINE MILE. DECEMBER 2013

2013-08-13 12:05 PM
in reply to: crowny2

User image

Champion
Austin, Texas
Originally posted by crowny2

I'm honored that I got a mention in the RR.  Especially one that also mentions Chrissie and Sister Madonna.  My life is now complete. 

What a friggen fun weekend.  It was awesome.  SOOOOOOOO much fun.

Crowny - I was SOOOOO happy for your race on Sunday!!!  You absolutely rocked it and to see you at the end with a great big grin on your face and NO pain was the best way to finish the race day. 

Some of us *may* have had just a tad too much fun, but there will be redemption next year! 

2013-08-13 12:11 PM
in reply to: Asalzwed

User image

Champion
Austin, Texas
Originally posted by Asalzwed

The only things that could have made this better would be:

A. You bringing wine with you on the bike and run ... like in a hoster or something

B. You riding the chili pepper with us

You guys are so awesome. I am really glad to have gotten to spend some time with you both. 

USA vs CANADA POUTINE MILE. DECEMBER 2013

A. bringing the wine with me would have definitely ended badly - most likely with upchucking at even the mere thought of being around alcohol

B. I know, I know... I shall hang my head in shame for a moment. 

OH HELLZ YES - IT'S ON!!!  We did mention that we'll be in Seattle for a day over Xmas, right??? 

Best earrings ever at the pub... so glad I got to meet you too, hopefully our paths will cross again sometime soon.

Holy crap, we should add riding a mechanical something to part of the race!!  

2013-08-13 12:45 PM
in reply to: blueyedbikergirl

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area
So what you are saying here is that you want me to stop by Trader Joe's in Wilmington and get you a case or two of Two Buck Chuck to have the night before B2B?  Or do you need something fancier than that?
2013-08-13 3:35 PM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Champion
Austin, Texas

Originally posted by jmkizer So what you are saying here is that you want me to stop by Trader Joe's in Wilmington and get you a case or two of Two Buck Chuck to have the night before B2B?  Or do you need something fancier than that?

Nah, the $2 chuck might be too classy for me!   

2013-08-14 10:53 AM
in reply to: blueyedbikergirl

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2013-08-15 2:23 PM
in reply to: pmtaylor621

I think the side stitches are hydration-related as I used to do 90% of my runs hungover and can verify that they totally suck.

Patti
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Age Group National Championship - Sprint Distance Rss Feed  

of 2

RELATED POSTS

USAT Age Group National Championship - Olympic Distance

Started by Ershk
Views: 1908 Posts: 7

2013-09-16 8:02 AM sbrdave

USAT Age Group National Championship - Olympic Distance

Started by switch
Views: 3889 Posts: 25

2014-03-28 2:54 AM midwesttrimom

Age Group National Championship - Olympic Distance

Started by velocomp
Views: 1592 Posts: 4

2013-08-16 8:12 AM nickster

Started by jkossman
Views: 1515 Posts: 4

2013-08-16 8:18 AM nickster

Started by nickster
Views: 1793 Posts: 6

2013-08-15 2:12 PM blueyedbikergirl
RELATED ARTICLES
date : April 18, 2013
author : alicefoeller
comments : 0
BT amateurs compete in San Diego race on the world stage.

date : April 14, 2011
author : Kyle Pawlaczyk
A disappointing start to the season need not set the tone.
date : March 10, 2011
author : Scott Tinley
comments : 1
Tinley on triathlon, aging, and the attitude of a masters athlete

date : August 17, 2007
author : EndurancePlanet
37-year-old Bill Fults is an age-group triathlete. But by day he's an Air Flight Paramedic. He also spent the better part of a decade as an Army Ranger.
date : August 10, 2007
author : leifashley
comments : 4
From couch potato to a tri in 8 weeks. It was the most fun I've had in a long time. The race organizers had it down and there were no problems at all. This was the perfect first tri, in my opinion.

date : September 3, 2006
author : acbadger
comments : 1
Since your “A” race is your marathon, which you stated in your question, this should be your main focus. I encourage you to taper a bit for the sprint distance triathlon.
date : November 27, 2005
author : Ontherun
For most age-group triathletes, getting the most out of there time for quality workouts can be daunting. Think outside the triangle to get a little more.

date : September 5, 2004
author : Team BT
The start of the race I had the jitters. I was watching the other age groups start as they seeded the swim with over 1000 participants.