General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman Boulder : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 4

2014-04-03 12:39 PM
in reply to: Ziatriguy

User image

Regular
Allen, TX ( Basically North of Dallas)
Subject: RE: Ironman Boulder : Official Thread
Just checking in to see if anyone is racing this or next weekend? I am doing Galveston 70.3 this week. Training is going well but I really don't know what to expect in this race. I plan on pushing things to see if I can find out where my fitness/breaking point is. That way I know what to focus on for the next cycle of training. I also plan on going to Boulder 70.3 to get some training in on the course and watch some friends race. Let me know if anyone wants to ride the course on that Saturday with me. I would be taking it easy just to get a feel of the course and the altitude!!!

Eddy

2014-04-22 8:22 AM
in reply to: Sdboy2

I was out on mapmyride yesterday and someone had a 'new' run course mapped out. Anyone know if it's official yet? Looks like the south spur goes a bit further. A little more elevation gain, but if it's the actual new course it may provide a bit more shade.
2014-05-14 4:35 PM
in reply to: catincolorado

User image

Veteran
Omaha, NE
Anyone else camping for the event? I was looking at Boulder Co Fairgrounds, but just figured out it is during the same time as the county fair. I probably don't want to deal with that busy of a campground with 3 small kids and small campsites.

I'm now looking at some of the campsites in the Golden Co area and will probably reserve something this week.

Looking at Thur-Mon for this reservation.

Looking at the Air Force Academy family camp for Sun-Thur before moving closer.
2014-05-16 10:18 PM
in reply to: cstoulil

User image

Veteran
South dakota
Just did a metric IM today....need to work on nutrition on the run......how you all doing?
2014-05-17 7:21 PM

User image

Regular
Logan, Utah
Metric IM.... I like that. Was that a race or just a training deal?

I had my first OWS yesterday..... so nice to get out of the pool (H2O temps are still in the hi-40's... maybe 50 but it was wonderful).
Run is doing good. I'm training for the Bear 100 ultramarathon that is about 6 weeks after IM boulder so I've been doing more running than anything. However, my bike has suffered terribly.... and today's 80 miler was demoralizing (last year at this time I had already done several centuries). Training for two big races so close will probably mean I end up doing mediocre in both, I'm sure.

Super excited to get back to Boulder (did the 70.3 two years ago).

Taking wife and kids this time.... Anyone have suggestions on family fun in the area? We're going to hang out for a week or so after the race.
2014-05-17 11:27 PM
in reply to: CodRed

User image

Veteran
South dakota
Training, just me and a freind who blew up @ mile6 of the run so the last 10 where AWSOME mental training.

2014-05-19 9:45 PM
in reply to: Ziatriguy

Just wondered if anyone knew how the IM Boulder bike course compares to IMCdA bike course. Thanks.
2014-05-23 9:56 AM
in reply to: littleninny

New bike and run courses.

http://303triathlon.com/
2014-05-23 1:51 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Extreme Veteran
Highlands Ranch, Colorado

Originally posted by littleninny Just wondered if anyone knew how the IM Boulder bike course compares to IMCdA bike course. Thanks.

As of 5/22/14, it's decidedly wimpier.  There are compelling reasons for this but here's hoping they can inject a little teeth back into the course in future years.  It is Colorado after all

Edited by FF Stock 2014-05-23 2:00 PM
2014-05-25 9:03 PM
in reply to: FF Stock

User image

Regular
Grand Rapids
Originally posted by FF Stock

Originally posted by littleninny Just wondered if anyone knew how the IM Boulder bike course compares to IMCdA bike course. Thanks.

As of 5/22/14, it's decidedly wimpier.  There are compelling reasons for this but here's hoping they can inject a little teeth back into the course in future years.  It is Colorado after all

When you say the course is wimpier I assume you are just talking about the bike course right? How does the change affect the run course? Do you think the run course will be better or worse with the change?
2014-05-27 10:33 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Extreme Veteran

When you say the course is wimpier I assume you are just talking about the bike course right? How does the change affect the run course? Do you think the run course will be better or worse with the change?

Yes, the bike course only.  They took out the Carter Lake climb, which really flattens the course overall.  Too bad; I did it for the first time and it was really cool and pretty.

The run course doesn't seem to change much.  They extended the first out and back leg and rerouted slightly the second O&B leg.  I don't know the path very well but I can't see these changes making much difference in the difficulty of the course such as elevation gain, etc.  However, it may change the amount of sun exposure for better or worse in each leg.  I hope to run the course soon and will weigh back in if no one else has...

Edited by FF Stock 2014-05-27 10:33 AM

2014-06-20 10:39 PM

User image

Veteran
South dakota
43 days little boys and girls.
Did the 70.3 this past weekend and really enjoyed it, swim was a bit rough but that all good, how is every one's training going?
2014-07-01 3:22 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran

It's about time for the Athlete Guide and Bib Number list to come out I would think...

2014-07-21 1:36 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran

I rode the majority of the course yesterday and I thought it was a pretty fair course.  My thoughts in general:

• Hope for no wind out of the south
  • Drink more than you think you need if it's hot.  I rode in 97 degree weather and was fried by the end.
  • Use the first 60 miles to gain time on the course.  It will be cooler and there is a net descent.  This is the easiest part of the course.  I'm not saying go crazy but I'll definitely stay high Z2 if I can.
  • It's a nice course and more interesting than I thought it would be.  The back half is full of false flats and long ascents but nothing terrible.  There is a short steep hill when you turn on 79th so keep your speed up.

I ran a small portion of the run course and it's very nice and mostly shaded.  There was, however, a ton of people out on Sunday.  I see the run course as being very congested.  I don't necessarily think people are going to stay away from their tubing, fishing, and use of the path just because of some silly race

2014-07-22 9:53 PM

User image

Regular
Logan, Utah
Thanks for the report. Very helpful. What temp is the reservoir at?
2014-07-23 12:40 AM
in reply to: CodRed

User image

Veteran
South dakota
76 yesterday

2014-07-29 4:30 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran

https://www.facebook.com/IronmanBoulder

There are a series of three videos on this site that are very informative...

2014-07-31 6:30 PM

User image

Elite
Alturas, California
Hias all, I wanted to wish everyone luck this weekend for IM Boulder. It looks like yall will get a break from the rain and temps have been cooler than usual for this time of year.... which means mid 80s lately. I rode most of the bike course today, you will hit hills in the first 15 miles and then it is reasonably flat with some gentle rollers here and there. You will, however be at the mercy of the wind should it kick up, the course is completely exposed to wind.

I will be volunteering, so I will see yall at Mile 1 on the Run. I am hoping that the water quality improves after the rain we got yesterday. Be aware of the 5300 foot elevation. I have been here for 3 days and am just now starting to not be smoked during workouts. Keep it easy if you are coming up from low elevation and have not been here for 5+ days to get acclimated.

Remember to hydrate well on the bike it will likely be warmish by the end even if cooler in the morming, so the heat could sneak up on you and leave you dried out for the run.

If anyone is repeating I will see you here next year. Go BTers.
New Thread
General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman Boulder : Official Thread Rss Feed  

of 4

RELATED POSTS

Ironman 70.3 Boulder : Official Thread Pages: 1 2

Started by remodelig47
Views: 10591 Posts: 47

2012-08-06 4:32 PM remodelig47

Ironman 70.3 Boulder (formerly 5430) : Official Thread Pages: 1 2

Started by GMJordan05076@gmail.
Views: 12132 Posts: 42

2011-08-07 7:22 PM gerald12

Ironman 70.3 Boulder : Official Thread

Started by tribean
Views: 2359 Posts: 2

2010-09-16 11:20 PM Cantucan

Ford Ironman 70.3 California: Official Thread Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10

Started by kwfire
Views: 30606 Posts: 235

2009-05-07 8:59 AM Project_A
RELATED ARTICLES
date : June 23, 2012
author : ytriguy
comments : 0
Often it makes sense to race slower in order to finish faster and at the same time have a more enjoyable Ironman Triathlon experience.

date : April 18, 2012
author : alicefoeller
comments : 3
An unexpected upside of completing a full distance triathlon
date : June 27, 2011
author : alicefoeller
comments : 8
A middle-of-the-pack triathlete takes on the iron distance for the first time at Rev3's inaugural full distance race

date : November 17, 2008
author : mrakes1
During the race there will be plenty of opportunities to exchange bottles, so I'm thinking about going with the aero bottle and Gatorade bottle and fill up as necessary. What should I do?
date : October 20, 2008
author : AndriaLL
comments : 1
It was literally seconds after I started swimming that I felt the tightness in my chest. I couldn’t get a deep breath in due to the tightness of my wetsuit. I was being strangled by my wetsuit...

date : July 30, 2006
author : IRONVIKING
If a heart patient can do these things, then so can those of you who haven't been split open like a fish and sewn back together.
date : June 4, 2006
author : Rich Strauss
comments : 2
I was not an official; I simply observed the race and the officials doing their thing. Here is what I saw:

date : September 3, 2005
author : infosteward
The Boulder Peak bike course is legendary. It is, literally and named as such, one of the toughest bike legs in the country.