Hutchinson Recreation Commission
70F / 21C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 18m 42s
Overall Rank = 82/183
Age Group = 45-54
Age Group Rank = 3/14
Pre-race routine:

The 7 - 10 days leading up to the race were pretty terrible. We had incredible rains and flooding. Not as bad as in Missouri and other places, but bad enough to disrupt our routines and to add stress. There was no working outside to be done. If it wasn't flooded, the mosquitoes were out in droves.

The RD did a great job keeping racers up to speed on the condition of the course. The run route goes right down next to the Arkansas River, so a few times during the week, it was submerged in places. Furthermore, the pictures coming out of Hutchinson were pretty terrifying, and included a sink hole.

My 12 year old was also signed up for the race, and the day before, I asked him if he wanted to do it. He said no. I decided that I wasn't going to push it and was relieved that he wasn't going to be there. I was pretty sure the run course would be fine, and if it hadn't have been, the RD had a plan B. But I didn't want to be worried about him, especially since I was racing, too.

Then I admitted to him that I didn't really want to do it either. My heart was not in it. I hadn't been out of our little town for almost two weeks because I was afraid if I could get out, I wouldn't be able to get back in -- at least not easily. I have never not started a race that I actually signed up and paid for, so I went ahead and got ready for it. But honestly, I didn't start packing my bag and putting my bike on the rack until about 8 p.m.

I got everything ready and was in bed by a little after 10 p.m.

I woke up at 4:00 a.m., before the alarm. I stayed in bed thinking about everything again until about 4:45 a.m., and then just got up. I made a dish of yogurt and a large cup of coffee, and headed out.

It was extremely dark, so I couldn't see the fields, and I decided that was a good thing. I didn't want to know how much water was out there. It was a bit disconcerting to see lights reflected in fields which I knew should be dry. But it was what it was.

When I crossed the 5th Street bridge over the Arkansas near Hutchinson, I could tell the water was very high. I just tried not to think about it too much because one of my phobias is to spin off a road into water and not be able to get out of the car.

Because of the high water, there was just one way into the park and we had to park outside of the park and walk in. Not a big deal for me because I got there early (by 5:30), so I got a great spot in a lot next to the park.
Event warmup:

I was doing this myself, so I had everything organized into one bag. I pumped up the tires before leaving the car, so I didn't have to lug the pump along with me, then I walked the bike and my gear to the park. I racked my bike and left my stuff in transition while I walked over to packet pick up. I let them know Ben wasn't coming and picked up his packet along with mine. Got body marked and timing chip and headed back to transition. I swung my arms around a little and walked through the transition entrances/exits to be sure I knew what to do when I got there. Athlete meeting and then it was time to swim. I took in a Clif Shot before walking to the pool . We got in line according to our race number.
Swim
  • 09m 24s
  • 400 meters
  • 02m 21s / 100 meters
Comments:

I was psyched about this. I know it's not speedy by most people's standards, but I felt strong this whole swim. That first 50m came so fast. I couldn't believe I was already at the wall. I passed at least one person per length, and no one passed me. Super happy. As I jumped in, I still didn't know what I was going to do with this race. I had been thinking maybe I would just phone it in and treat the day as a long training brick. But when I hit the wall after the first 50m, I dove under the ropes, and was racing. I was into this 100%.
What would you do differently?:

I've been working on my swim, and I have finally seen some improvement. I'm going to keep working on it over the winter, so I hope to begin next spring faster and stronger.
Transition 1
  • 02m 30s
Comments:

Loooong run from the pool to transition. It just takes forever. Because I was wearing a swimming suit with a chamois pad, I had to put on shorts and a shirt in transition. I'm modest that way. It cost me a few seconds, but really not long.

Run faster after swimming. It always seems to take me a few seconds to get my legs back.
Bike
  • 36m 8s
  • 10.5 miles
  • 17.21 mile/hr
Comments:

I risked a little here. I didn't have water on the bike. I figured it wouldn't take me more than 40 minutes and it wasn't too hot out. It worked out okay, although during the last two laps, I was pretty thirsty, but it wasn't horrible. I decided not to red line this ride because I still needed to run, but I was definitely pushing the yellow line.

I decided to take the first turn on the last lap a little faster than the previous laps and just about lost traction on my rear tire. I managed to keep everything under control.

Just keep pushing the bike. I haven't been able to ride outside in weeks, what with traveling, ridiculously hot weather, and then flooding. I've been riding on the spin bike at the gym. I was surprised how strong I felt on this bike ride. I know it was short, but I really felt like the work I've done on the spin bike has helped my strength on the bike.
Transition 2
  • 01m 40s
Comments:

I had my shoes tied ahead of time to slip on, but I still struggled with the right one. Too slow. No excuse for this.

Get with the program faster.
Run
  • 29m 2s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 09m 31s  min/mile
Comments:

Not my best 5k. I was faster last year. But I was in a better position this year because I had a faster swim and a little faster bike. I learned something that's probably obvious to other people. Fast people breath a lot harder than slow people. What I mean is that when I'm passing people because I've started behind with a poor swim and bike, the people I'm passing don't really breath very hard, even though they are working hard. Running in a better position, I was passed by a few people, and they were working. harder than I was. I thought about pushing it and trying to keep up with one of them, but thought better of it. I hadn't really tapered for this much -- just one rest day before the race -- and my legs were feeling twitchy. I needed to be able to pick up with run training immediately after this race. So I let people go by me.

There were four water stops on the run, one right as we started, so I was able to replenish what I missed on the bike.

I love to run. But as it turns out, it's my worst leg. I don't know what I think about that.
Post race
Warm down:

I am finally figuring out what to do post race. I grabbed a water, half a banana, and a package of trail mix, then got to the shower. Why didn't I think of this before? I had time to clean up my transition area, get my bike back on the car, and hang out at the awards to stand on a real podium. Ha! So funny. A friend of mine took a picture for me, but he hasn't sent it to me yet.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I'm satisfied. I can be faster.

Event comments:

This is a local race with a lot of mountain and hybrid bikes. So I saw things that I'd not seen before.

1) One guy walked the swim in the shallow end -- on every lap.

2) One woman shorted her ride. I was just starting my 2nd lap, and I heard her yell out, "This is my last lap." I looked at her number, not that far from mine, and thought "No way." She did pass me, but she wasn't going THAT fast. I think it was all sorted out. Getting the results took a very long time and a few people were called in to talk to the race officials.

3) One woman had a friend pace her on the run.

4) Lawn chairs in transition.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2013-08-06 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:09:24 | 400 meters | 02m 21s / 100meters
Age Group: 3/14
Overall: 71/183
Performance: Good
Suit: Zoot one piece swimming suit
Course: 8 lengths of a 50m pool, diving under the ropes after each 50m.
Start type: Inside Pool Plus: Time Trial
Water temp: 78F / 26C Current:
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 02:30
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:36:08 | 10.5 miles | 17.21 mile/hr
Age Group: 2/14
Overall: 72/183
Performance: Good
Wind: None
Course: 5 loops of a 2.1 mile slightly curvy course
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 01:40
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:29:02 | 03.1 miles | 09m 31s  min/mile
Age Group: 4/14
Overall: 99/183
Performance: Average
Course: A run around the park on the paved trails.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2013-08-13 1:35 AM

User image

Master
Central Kansas
Subject: Salty Dog Triathlon

2013-08-13 6:56 AM
in reply to: #4827616

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida
Subject: RE: Salty Dog Triathlon
Felicia, I really like that you hit the 50 mark and decided it was game on. Great job in overcoming the "I don't wanna race" feeling. I am 100% with you on the learning curve thing, it just seems like every time I learn something, I figure out how much more there is to learn. And congrats on your swim, it is really nice to feel progress. Nice run as well. All in all, I think this race has success written all over it!
2013-08-13 7:08 AM
in reply to: cdban66

User image

Regular
LHOTP
Originally posted by cdban66Felicia, I really like that you hit the 50 mark and decided it was game on. Great job in overcoming the "I don't wanna race" feeling. I am 100% with you on the learning curve thing, it just seems like every time I learn something, I figure out how much more there is to learn. And congrats on your swim, it is really nice to feel progress. Nice run as well. All in all, I think this race has success written all over it!
Exactly!!! I am also very imptessed that you raced with all the flooding issues you've been dealing with too. Strong work. I'm with you for a winter swim focus :)
2013-08-13 9:01 AM
in reply to: switch

User image

Pennsylvania
Podium girl!!  Big congrats!!!  It is so good to see you have a good, strong race that you are happy with and proud of after the stress of the flooding and your mental battle you fought and won at one of your recent races.  Great job, Felicia!
2013-08-13 9:25 AM

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada
Awesome Felicia, great race!
2013-08-13 9:53 AM
in reply to: melbo55

User image

Master
Overland Park, KS
I give you an A+ for mental toughness Felicia. Great job on your swim and bike, it's tough the have a great run when you go out harder on the swim and bike. That's how I race usually, hard on the swim and bike and hold on for dear life on the run :P

Looking forward to actually meeting you in one of fhese local races some day. Keep up the good work.

2013-08-13 12:49 PM
in reply to: reecealan

User image

Seattle

I love love love the lawn chairs in transition! I need to do this! So long as they have cup holders, of course.

You did great! Man, those are some tough circumstances and mental hurdles. I am so proud of you!

The run leg is likely your "worst" because it comes last Smile

2013-08-13 2:30 PM
in reply to: Asalzwed

User image

Champion
Austin, Texas
Originally posted by Asalzwed

I love love love the lawn chairs in transition! I need to do this! So long as they have cup holders, of course.

You did great! Man, those are some tough circumstances and mental hurdles. I am so proud of you!

The run leg is likely your "worst" because it comes last Smile

Ha!  I was thinking this exact same thing!!  And of course with cup holders, duh!

Way to overcome some tough conditions - and I think you did a helluva job out there.  WOOT!! 

2013-08-13 2:42 PM
in reply to: blueyedbikergirl

User image

Master
Orlando
Congratulations on getting to hang out on the podium!!! Dealing with all the stuff you had to deal with and still putting up a great race is impressive. Well done! I'm with everyone else- I'm taking a lawn chair with a cup holder to my next race
2013-08-14 8:01 AM

User image

Veteran
Houston, Texas

Woo-hoo!!!  Podium!

I'm so glad to hear that you're breaking through that swim barrier.  It's so much fun following along with someone's journey and seeing things just click.  And I really love that it was the catalyst to really racing this one.  Great race

2013-08-14 8:06 PM
in reply to: ligersandtions

User image

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio
Super job in crazy circumstances!

2013-08-16 12:57 PM
in reply to: QueenZipp

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas

What sound did you make when you finished?  "Bling"   Tongue out

Nice job on the podium finish!!!

I also loved that you hit the wall at 50 and said game on - how can you sharpie a number on and NOT race, right?  Well, given the weeks prior, I could see how you would not, so good on ya'!!

As for the run, I'm kind of there with you.  It is apparently my "proportionally worst" discipline of the 3, despite being the only sport I have done for years (before taking up swimming and biking seriously last year).  It was really weird last Fall (my first tri's in a couple decades) to place higher in the swim and bike than the run.  So, for me it was a winter of running (which was AWESOME).  Now, though I too could be waaaaaay faster (at least I know people my age evidently can!) in all three, I'm at least more even among them.  But, it took a lot more miles of run focus than I thought it would...

Maybe a swim block and a run block this winter, given what you wrote?  Fun either way.  Laughing

Congrats on a great race and potting a podium spot (and what better name for a race?!?)

Matt

2013-08-18 6:11 PM
in reply to: mcmanusclan5

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2013-08-19 4:57 AM
in reply to: Fred D

Melon Presser

Didn't wanna do it, crap weather, super swim, no water on the bike, not fast but very smart and efficient run blahblahblahblah

PODIUM!!!!!!!!!!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Salty Dog Triathlon Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Salty Dog Triathlon

Started by Philippians3:14
Views: 1395 Posts: 1

2007-08-12 10:46 PM Philippians3:14

Salty Dog Triathlon

Started by El Flaco
Views: 1745 Posts: 1

2007-08-12 8:27 AM El Flaco

Salty Dog Triathlon

Started by IKENTRI
Views: 1274 Posts: 1

2007-04-14 8:23 PM IKENTRI

Salty Dog Triathlon

Started by Ken Bramble
Views: 2536 Posts: 6

2006-08-15 11:56 AM IKENTRI

Salty Dog Triathlon

Started by ott13979
Views: 1764 Posts: 1

2005-08-29 7:41 AM ott13979
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 12, 2013
author : mistymills
comments : 5
Dog training techniques have surprising parallels to triathlon training and race preparation. All the lessons I THOUGHT were for my dogs started seeming very applicable to me! Here's what I learned.

date : June 27, 2011
author : pyroman1_1
comments : 3
Lake Havasu Tri 3/19/2011
date : April 27, 2011
author : brumby11
comments : 5
An impending baby inspires a father to become fit, along the way discovering world of triathlon

date : January 20, 2011
author : AMSSM
comments : 1
Feeling bloated during training and racing is a common concern with endurance sports like triathlon. More salt or more water? Read more!
date : April 16, 2008
author : Z-dog
comments : 0
Kona 2006 finishline triathlon wallpaper provided by Z-dog.

date : April 16, 2008
author : Z-dog
Kona 2006 Swim Exit triathlon wallpaper provided by Z-dog
date : January 1, 2008
author : YourYoga
The focus for this second session are the Sun Salutations that are comprised of 12 poses that flow from one to another, repeated four times.

date : July 17, 2005
author : ChiRunning
Running does not cause injury. Poor running form does. Running is more enjoyable, and safer if you know what you’re doing. And yes, even old dogs can learn new tricks.