General Discussion Triathlon Talk » What do you do with your swim caps? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 3

2013-08-14 3:29 PM
in reply to: dbmata

User image

Austin
Subject: RE: What do you do with your swim caps?

I wear a cap for pool or ows, I am a big fan of practicing the way you will race. At least where I can.

I have given quite a few away though.

2013-08-14 3:33 PM
in reply to: Socks

User image

Champion
New York, NY
Originally posted by Socks

Originally posted by lisac957

I use them for training.
But on BT that probably makes me a tool looking for attention since they have race distances on them...

Ditto.......guess we can be tools together....why buy them when you get a new one at every race !!!

+1
2013-08-14 3:56 PM
in reply to: lisac957

User image

Extreme Veteran
, Kobenhavns Kommune

I use them for training.
But on BT that probably makes me a tool looking for attention since they have race distances on them...

No, no, no, I use them for bragging at the pool. Hate it when they give out crap caps, how can I get back home and silently brag how cool I am?

Mine doesn't have distances, and I like to think that the OpenWater race cap has more brag value than the triathlon cap - as a swimmer that is.
2013-08-14 4:01 PM
in reply to: Moonrocket

User image

Pro
Twin Cities
Take my post-race garbage (electrical tape, advil wrappers, pre-race gu packet, whatever...), stuff it in the cap, and throw it out.
2013-08-14 4:10 PM
in reply to: noelle1230

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by noelle1230

I use them for training.

x2, what else would you do with them honestly?  Unless your framing them like LB's kids....but those are signed caps.  I'd say most of us have a drawer full of NOT signed caps.  I figure, who cares what it says on it.  I could be wearing an IM branded cap but that doesn't mean I've done one.  None of mine say "finisher".

One thing to note is that I always keep TWO caps on hand for training.  Last year I was popping a cap on in the locker room and it tore clean in half.  It wasn't even an old cap.  For a second I thought I'd have to change back into my clothes to go back out to the gym's cafe/shop and PURCHASE a cap for probably $5 when I have a drawer full at home.  Luckily the lifeguard had an extra one in his office.  From that point on I always packed two!

This is a good idea. I did one OWS this summer in a pony tail with my 3yo's pink Toggs goggles (which actually worked really well) when I left my cap and goggles on the counter when picking up my keys.

Maybe I will leave one in my car and an extra in my bag. A very nice fellow triathlete lent me a cap after a few laps. I have wild hair with bangs- caps really help.
2013-08-14 4:13 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
I do find that wearing a tri cap to the pool often results in talking to random people at the expense of training time.

2013-08-14 4:18 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
, Kobenhavns Kommune
Originally posted by Moonrocket

I do find that wearing a tri cap to the pool often results in talking to random people at the expense of training time.

I like to imagine that it clears the lane out, "here comes the pro, better get out of the way"... but I admit that maybe that's just wild fantasies.
2013-08-14 7:58 PM
in reply to: tabbs

User image

Expert
Western WI
Originally posted by tabbs

I use them for training and keep a few spares around for my friends.

^^This. I always have a couple spares in my swim bag and have had to use them or give them away to friends on a few occasions. I've been glad I've had them to give out - tearing a cap right before you get in is a pain. Extra race cap to the rescue!! (And it earns you a beer in the future!)
2013-08-14 8:44 PM
in reply to: TriRx

User image

Veteran
Kitchener
I wear them to spin class.
2013-08-14 10:51 PM
in reply to: pilot_e

User image

Pro
Hey, since ya'll brought it up.....if you turn the caps inside out you can still wear them to swim but you won't look like tools.  Oh wait.....then nobody would know you did a triathlon. Laughing
2013-08-15 7:06 AM
in reply to: DanielG

User image

Veteran
Western Australia
Originally posted by DanielG

I feel like swim caps are reaching a critical mass in my house. Yesterday I couldn't find a coaster for my drink, so had to use a swim cap instead.

Seriously, I'm curious what everyone does with their caps after races.

Put them in a gallon ziplock
shake a bunch of corn starch or baby powder on them
shake the baggie up really good so the caps won't anneal to one another as they will do if you don't do that step.

Mail them to Yanti.

seriously does Yanti have a use for them? I would be happy to pass mine on to someone who has a use for them.

2013-08-15 7:13 AM
in reply to: StaceyK

User image

Originally posted by StaceyK

I feel like swim caps are reaching a critical mass in my house. Yesterday I couldn't find a coaster for my drink, so had to use a swim cap instead.

Seriously, I'm curious what everyone does with their caps after races.

Put them in a gallon ziplock
shake a bunch of corn starch or baby powder on them
shake the baggie up really good so the caps won't anneal to one another as they will do if you don't do that step.

Mail them to Yanti.

seriously does Yanti have a use for them? I would be happy to pass mine on to someone who has a use for them.

Apparently they're not so easy to come by in Indonesia. She was griping about it and I realized I had a stack of them I'll never wear again. Just seemed like the proper thing to do.

I must admit to getting a chuckle out of someone hauling the mail, seeing white powder trickle out, opening it and seeing a dozen or so swim caps in talcum powder

2013-08-15 7:21 AM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Not very original, but I swim with them! Despite the baby powder approach, they don't seem to last very long. I think it's a combo of strong pool chemicals (school pool that's used by kids all day) and tropical heat/humidity. I'm lucky if a cap lasts a few months. Half the time I have the pool to myself so there's no one to impress with the cap. In the US, I sometimes wear the more interesting caps to practice; can't imagine that wearing a Singapore Sprint or Vietnam Tri cap is being such a tool when others have Ironman, Escape from Alcatraz, etc,

I'm only guilty of being a tool in running, flaunting an Olympic Trials shoelace as a hair tie, and I haven't done that in 20 years. Have neither the speed nor the hair to pull that off anymore.
2013-08-15 7:26 AM
in reply to: DanielG

User image

Melon Presser

Originally posted by Moonrocket I feel like swim caps are reaching a critical mass in my house. Yesterday I couldn't find a coaster for my drink, so had to use a swim cap instead. Seriously, I'm curious what everyone does with their caps after races.
Put them in a gallon ziplock shake a bunch of corn starch or baby powder on them shake the baggie up really good so the caps won't anneal to one another as they will do if you don't do that step. Mail them to Yanti.
Apparently they're not so easy to come by in Indonesia. She was griping about it and I realized I had a stack of them I'll never wear again. Just seemed like the proper thing to do. I must admit to getting a chuckle out of someone hauling the mail, seeing white powder trickle out, opening it and seeing a dozen or so swim caps in talcum powder

Whoa whoa whoa. That was powder? I've been snorting that stuff for months and it's done wonders for my training!

Yeah, seriously, it's really hard to get latex caps here and they're the only kind that "stick" to my head/hair ... silicone alone will slide right off. I go through them like candy--the heat and humidity no matter how well I care for them eats them too--and will need even more as I'm transitioning to (nutso) marathon open-water swimming after this year.

I would LOVE LOVE LOVE any spare swim caps ... and anyone who sends them gets {MELON PRESS} for life.

2013-08-15 7:28 AM
in reply to: Hot Runner

User image

Melon Presser

Originally posted by Hot Runner Not very original, but I swim with them! Despite the baby powder approach, they don't seem to last very long. I think it's a combo of strong pool chemicals (school pool that's used by kids all day) and tropical heat/humidity. I'm lucky if a cap lasts a few months. Half the time I have the pool to myself so there's no one to impress with the cap. In the US, I sometimes wear the more interesting caps to practice; can't imagine that wearing a Singapore Sprint or Vietnam Tri cap is being such a tool when others have Ironman, Escape from Alcatraz, etc, I'm only guilty of being a tool in running, flaunting an Olympic Trials shoelace as a hair tie, and I haven't done that in 20 years. Have neither the speed nor the hair to pull that off anymore.

Ha, we posted similar info same time ... GMTA

I have been thinking about you muchly--OMG I FINALLY FIT INTO an Asian women's size L!!!!! You alone understand what a crazy achievement that is!

2013-08-15 8:18 AM
in reply to: TriAya

User image

Veteran
Western Australia
Originally posted by TriAya

Originally posted by Moonrocket I feel like swim caps are reaching a critical mass in my house. Yesterday I couldn't find a coaster for my drink, so had to use a swim cap instead. Seriously, I'm curious what everyone does with their caps after races.
Put them in a gallon ziplock shake a bunch of corn starch or baby powder on them shake the baggie up really good so the caps won't anneal to one another as they will do if you don't do that step. Mail them to Yanti.
Apparently they're not so easy to come by in Indonesia. She was griping about it and I realized I had a stack of them I'll never wear again. Just seemed like the proper thing to do. I must admit to getting a chuckle out of someone hauling the mail, seeing white powder trickle out, opening it and seeing a dozen or so swim caps in talcum powder

Whoa whoa whoa. That was powder? I've been snorting that stuff for months and it's done wonders for my training!

Yeah, seriously, it's really hard to get latex caps here and they're the only kind that "stick" to my head/hair ... silicone alone will slide right off. I go through them like candy--the heat and humidity no matter how well I care for them eats them too--and will need even more as I'm transitioning to (nutso) marathon open-water swimming after this year.

I would LOVE LOVE LOVE any spare swim caps ... and anyone who sends them gets {MELON PRESS} for life.

No worries Yanti I will see how many I can get together before you get here. I have a bit of a nagging feeling that I did a bit of a clean out at the end of summer so I might not be that helpful until next year.

2013-08-15 10:16 AM

Parkville, MD
I do keep some in my training bag to have for group OWS sessions, but I have also found out they make a great saddle protector from the rain.
I race a couple races each year that have a bike racking the night prior to the race, and I will stretch one over my saddle to protect it overnight. Works better than a shopping bag (which alot of races have banned due to the trash left behind).
2013-08-15 10:33 AM
in reply to: pilot_e

User image

Originally posted by pilot_e

I wear them to spin class.

You Win for Best Comment I woudl smile all the way through my spin class if I saw you!!!!
2013-08-15 10:35 AM
in reply to: stilgarnaib

User image

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member

Originally posted by stilgarnaib I fasten them together with duct tape and shape them into a big balloon. Then I fit a lawn chair to the bottom it with string creating a harness. Then I hold a hair dryer up the hole to inflate and I then I escape over the prison wall. I then do a race, get caught and repeat.

Creative!

2013-08-15 10:36 AM
in reply to: Mattkuch

User image

Originally posted by Mattkuch

I do keep some in my training bag to have for group OWS sessions, but I have also found out they make a great saddle protector from the rain.
I race a couple races each year that have a bike racking the night prior to the race, and I will stretch one over my saddle to protect it overnight. Works better than a shopping bag (which alot of races have banned due to the trash left behind).

That always amuses me.

So, now you've got this nice, dry saddle that you get out of the lake and go sit on for 3-6 hours with dripping wet tri shorts

2013-08-15 1:47 PM
in reply to: StaceyK

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM
Originally posted by TriAya

No worries Yanti I will see how many I can get together before you get here. I have a bit of a nagging feeling that I did a bit of a clean out at the end of summer so I might not be that helpful until next year.

I have a nice rainbow assortment that sit in my spare equipment bag, waiting for my silicone cap to wear out Surprised Maybe I'll send them to Stacey and you'd probably still get them faster than if I sent them to Indonesia Laughing

2013-08-15 3:13 PM
in reply to: rrrunner

User image

Overland Park
Ok I will admit that instead of buying an aero helmet for my Triathlons and Time-trial events I have been using my road helmet and stretched an old swim cap over the top to cover up the vent holes.

2013-08-15 3:48 PM
in reply to: Mattkuch

User image

NC
Originally posted by Mattkuch

Have you figured out how to stretch one over your drivetrain?

2013-08-15 6:54 PM
in reply to: TriAya

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Off the subject of swim caps but....Congrats Yanti on the size change! I'm guessing Singapore or Indonesian large.....it's a rare day that I can squeeze myself into Vietnamese large. Some of my local stuff (swimsuits, shorts) is L, and some XL (tops). And I am usually a US size 2! With anyone "bigger" than I am, if you go into a local-oriented shop, particularly for swimsuits, they just giggle and shake their heads. Plus the height thing--at 5'7" and change I'm used to towering over people. Visiting Amsterdam this summer was traumatic--realized that by Dutch standards, I'm short.
2013-08-15 10:58 PM
in reply to: Hot Runner

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by Hot Runner

Off the subject of swim caps but....Congrats Yanti on the size change! I'm guessing Singapore or Indonesian large.....it's a rare day that I can squeeze myself into Vietnamese large. Some of my local stuff (swimsuits, shorts) is L, and some XL (tops). And I am usually a US size 2! With anyone "bigger" than I am, if you go into a local-oriented shop, particularly for swimsuits, they just giggle and shake their heads. Plus the height thing--at 5'7" and change I'm used to towering over people. Visiting Amsterdam this summer was traumatic--realized that by Dutch standards, I'm short.

A number of years ago while in Singapore a co-worker's wife was told that she needed to go to a different store for European Elephant sized clothes. Yikes!

I'm glad I fit in large. My 6'4" husband has to pack super carefully.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » What do you do with your swim caps? Rss Feed  

of 3

RELATED POSTS

Done and done

Started by skinnyterror
Views: 2099 Posts: 13

2013-07-11 4:55 PM TTom

Anyone doing/done the Santa Rosa Island Tri or Destin Crab Trap Tri

Started by pilotzs
Views: 1653 Posts: 5

2013-05-28 5:00 PM tacetman

Race Cap over Swim Cap

Started by GolfMark
Views: 1396 Posts: 12

2007-01-17 3:27 PM rollinbones

Has anyone ever done this Alcatraz swim?

Started by MrCjolsen
Views: 928 Posts: 4

2005-04-08 12:54 PM ChrisM

What am I doing wrong - swimming

Started by See Mom Run
Views: 1894 Posts: 20

2005-03-24 10:52 PM mikericci
RELATED ARTICLES
date : April 28, 2011
author : fivecents
comments : 5
What my first sprint distance triathlon taught me about myself.

date : December 28, 2009
author : AMSSM
comments : 0
I have a very annoying pain under my knee cap. It does not hurt when I run or ride. It hurts a lot when I swim and when I walk up or down stairs. The pain is a searing pain. Help!
date : December 24, 2008
author : Coach AJ
Discussions on indoor cycling drills such as one legged drills and power intervals. Also we discuss how many half Ironman races should be done before your first full Ironman.

date : October 7, 2008
author : Coach AJ
I'm going to let you in on how to get faster by doing nothing. Well, not exactly nothing, but you won't have to raise your heart rate, put out 300 watts, or really even break a sweat.
date : November 19, 2007
author : CyndiPPF
So here I was, a hard-working, respectable, just-turned-forty-six-year-old, who never considered herself athletic, lining up in my swim cap and goggles for my first triathlon.

date : August 17, 2007
author : scoli121
comments : 6
I quickly browsed an article in Men's Health that talked about doing a triathlon, and how it wasn't really that hard. With a "tsk!" I quickly turned the page while thinking, "Yeah, right!"
date : November 27, 2005
author : Team BT
The toll of fate strikes as those with orange swim caps are beckoned to begin the journey. Ahhh, nothing like the feel of ice cold water seeping in your wetsuit to wake you up. GO!

date : November 14, 2004
author : eclaire
Newbie blunders teach the mind to overcome the moment, and always have fun!