General Discussion Triathlon Talk » stretching or foam rolling during a race Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-08-14 6:25 PM

User image

Champion
Calgary
Subject: stretching or foam rolling during a race
I have seen people trying to stretch things out during a race. And I have seen medical staff working cramps on people during races to get them going again. For a long race, or a guess a short race where you tighten up, would it be beneficial to roll out a sore spot or have you done it?

2013-08-14 9:04 PM
in reply to: BigDH

User image

Master
University Park, MD
Subject: RE: stretching or foam rolling during a race
I've done it. Did it help, I'm not so sure. I think that if you experience sudden tightness or cramping in a race then stopping to immediately stretch it is likely to exacerbate the problem.

I did a 10k last year where I cramped up right around the halfway/turnaround point. I stopped to stretch, didn't seem to make much progress. I then stood pathetically at the side of the road for a little while. Then quickly realized that since it was a freezing cold February day and I was 3 miles from the finish, I might as well start moving. After running slowly for a little while I was able to speed up a bit, then went zooming past other runners in the last 2k. That remains my fastest 10k of the past 20 years.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » stretching or foam rolling during a race Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Foam roll then stretch or vice versa

Started by Dlaxman31
Views: 9543 Posts: 11

2012-06-29 3:43 PM runswithcrazydog

Stretching and Foam Roller question

Started by Dlaxman31
Views: 804 Posts: 4

2011-02-21 12:46 PM NashinAK

Too much Foam Rolling and Stretching?

Started by Dream Chaser
Views: 2877 Posts: 15

2009-01-22 8:13 AM Dream Chaser

foam roller/IT Band Stretch

Started by cusetri
Views: 4629 Posts: 20

2008-12-23 12:26 PM sotod

Foam Roll trouble?

Started by DRLski
Views: 1196 Posts: 10

2006-09-29 9:52 PM MandiGayle
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 27, 2013
author : AMSSM
comments : 1
I've got ITBS and foot issues and have been rolling it out with the foam roller. How long should I roll per session and how many sessions per day?

date : November 15, 2012
author : PosiChiro.com
comments : 0
Dr. Kathy Coutinho’s presentation will discuss how to attain ultimate form and balance to maximize your body’s athletic function, includes many techniques for injury prevention.
date : February 16, 2011
author : Nancy Clark
comments : 2
Some athletes call it runners' trots; others call it diarrhea. Whatever the name, few athletes openly discuss the topic yet many secretly suffer. Here’s some information about this stinky topic that m

date : January 20, 2011
comments : 1
Feeling bloated during training and racing is a common concern with endurance sports like triathlon. More salt or more water? Read more!
date : March 14, 2010
author : Team BT
Part two covers protein after workouts, caffeine usage during racing, the reason for muscle fatigue and general nutrition guidelines.

date : February 2, 2009
author : EnduranceFilms
Here is a very focused and specific triathlon stretching program that you can employ during or after your swim, bike and run workouts.
date : May 7, 2008
comments : 4
Studies looking at stretching have had mixed results. It is a difficult to examine because stretching is ingrained in the psyche of so many athletes that they are unwilling to participate as controls.

date : July 5, 2005
author : KevinKonczak
After you have established the Ironman goal, the most important factor outside of the training is which race to choose? What is your best sort of course, hilly, rolling, flat?