Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Anyone else looking forward to college football? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, the bear, DerekL, alicefoeller Reply

of 7

2013-08-15 1:50 AM

User image

Master
Folsom (Sacramento), CA
Subject: Anyone else looking forward to college football?
Should be a good year here in California. UCLA is the favorite in the Pac-12 south and Stanford should compete with Oregon in the north. Fresno State is the trendy BCS Buster pick... they should run their out of conference slate and I think they beat Boise this year, but the road game at San Diego St. could be the one that trips them up.

Nebraska UCLA is the early season match up that I am really looking forward to.

What does everyone else think about the season?

2013-08-15 2:09 AM
in reply to: uclamatt2007

User image

Subject: RE: Anyone else looking forward to college football?
I've already got tickets and parking pass for the Ga dome for Alabama vs Virginia Tech and tickets for AL vs KY.

Yeah, you could say I'm looking forward to it a bit

I'm thinking Alabama might look pretty good this year, for some reason. After DuBose, Franchoine, Price and Schula, it's about time we got back above .500

2013-08-15 5:11 AM
in reply to: DanielG

User image

Pro
Can't wait!
2013-08-15 5:39 AM

User image

Champion
Checkin' out the podium girls
Everyone except Johnny Manziel.
2013-08-15 9:53 AM

User image

Champion
Chicago
We shall exact REVENNNNNGE! GO HUSKERS!
2013-08-15 10:14 AM

User image

Elite
Boise
Originally posted by uclamatt2007

Fresno State is the trendy BCS Buster pick... they should run their out of conference slate and I think they beat Boise this year, but the road game at San Diego St. could be the one that trips them up.

I think you are underestimating BSU. We're returning our QB (he was our biggest problem early in the year last year but finally started to figure it out by the end of the season) and Jay Ajayi is going to be a stud. Our defense is always good.

2013-08-15 10:19 AM
in reply to: mr2tony

User image

Pro
McKinney, TX

Looing forward to another mediocre Longhorn season, but just the fact that is football season again gives me joy.....

Fall weather, watching GameDay after a long run......can't be beat.

Side note/slight hijack......I'm doing a half-marathon on 10/12 which is Texas/ou game day. It's called the "Showdown Half" and when you register you pick Orange or Crimson and that's your bib color and your finishers medal color.....pretty neat. After the race, they have on site showers and food/drink specials at the bars/restaurants near the finish line.

But yeah.....Football!

2013-08-15 10:32 AM
in reply to: JoshR

User image

Master
Folsom (Sacramento), CA
Originally posted by JoshR

Fresno State is the trendy BCS Buster pick... they should run their out of conference slate and I think they beat Boise this year, but the road game at San Diego St. could be the one that trips them up.

I think you are underestimating BSU. We're returning our QB (he was our biggest problem early in the year last year but finally started to figure it out by the end of the season) and Jay Ajayi is going to be a stud. Our defense is always good.

The biggest advantage Boise has over Fresno is the mental one. They are absolutely in their heads. I think the talent gap between the 2 is the closest it has been since Boise started their dominant run though, so it should make for an interesting season. In all likelihood, the early season game between the 2 is for homefield advantage in the MWC championship.

If Fresno can find anyone to run the ball, they have a chance to have a scary good offense. They have the arm to throw the ball all over the field but just as with Texas Tech under Leach, they won't be successful without some balance. The defensive line was their biggest need last season and they returned all of their starters and with the 2nd year of a defensive minded head coach, it will be itneresting to see the progress.

I'm think I may go to the Fresno/Boise game this year and my brother is trying to find out if its possible to get tickets to the MWC championship game if its in Fresno. They would both be good ones.
2013-08-15 10:42 AM

User image

Master
Folsom (Sacramento), CA
Originally posted by DanielG

I've already got tickets and parking pass for the Ga dome for Alabama vs Virginia Tech and tickets for AL vs KY.

I'm thinking Alabama might look pretty good this year, for some reason. After DuBose, Franchoine, Price and Schula, it's about time we got back above .500

AL/KY? Isn't that like buying tickets to a public sacrifice?
2013-08-15 11:03 AM

User image

Elite
Boise

Originally posted by JoshR

The biggest advantage Boise has over Fresno is the mental one. They are absolutely in their heads. I think the talent gap between the 2 is the closest it has been since Boise started their dominant run though, so it should make for an interesting season. In all likelihood, the early season game between the 2 is for homefield advantage in the MWC championship.

If Fresno can find anyone to run the ball, they have a chance to have a scary good offense. They have the arm to throw the ball all over the field but just as with Texas Tech under Leach, they won't be successful without some balance. The defensive line was their biggest need last season and they returned all of their starters and with the 2nd year of a defensive minded head coach, it will be itneresting to see the progress.

I'm think I may go to the Fresno/Boise game this year and my brother is trying to find out if its possible to get tickets to the MWC championship game if its in Fresno. They would both be good ones.

The only questionmark BSU has this year is our Dline. If Pete hadn't kicked our Freshman All-American off the team, that wouldn't be the case. Our WR corp is very deep and all have tons of experience. Last our offense really struggled, while our defense was very solid. This year I expect the offense to return to form.
2013-08-15 11:57 AM

User image

Let's Go HOKIES

2013-08-15 2:52 PM

User image

My aunt lives near UKY so it's an excuse to see her mostly

Then again, the tickets WERE affordable!

2013-08-15 3:13 PM

User image

Master
Folsom (Sacramento), CA

That's quite the gift Bama has gotten lately getting to play KY every year while LSU gets FLA as the opposite division "rival." The 6-1-1 conference scheduling formula that the SEC is terrible.

Bama will certainly be in the conversation at the end of the season though. As will OSU with its slightly better than mid major schedule and likely the winner of Stanford/Oregon. Louisville will be on the outside looking in save for carnage in other conferences, then we will all be disappointed by the BCS matchups, as usual.
2013-08-15 3:22 PM

User image

Elite
Boise

That's quite the gift Bama has gotten lately getting to play KY every year while LSU gets FLA as the opposite division "rival." The 6-1-1 conference scheduling formula that the SEC is terrible.

Bama will certainly be in the conversation at the end of the season though. As will OSU with its slightly better than mid major schedule and likely the winner of Stanford/Oregon. Louisville will be on the outside looking in save for carnage in other conferences, then we will all be disappointed by the BCS matchups, as usual.

A fitting end to the BCS era don't you think.
2013-08-15 5:06 PM

User image

To tell the truth, I'm not really much a sport's fan. I've watched Alabama since the early '70s when my grandfather started in on "That's Vanderbilt, you don't like them. Roll Tide"

I know enough of general college football to at least know what the heck's going on with the BCS but that's about it.

I do know the SEC schedule is done some years prior to the current year and sometimes you get cupcakes and sometimes you get USCe, FL, LSU, and GA all in a row or something stupid like that.

2013-08-15 5:28 PM

User image

Master
Folsom (Sacramento), CA

To tell the truth, I'm not really much a sport's fan. I've watched Alabama since the early '70s when my grandfather started in on "That's Vanderbilt, you don't like them. Roll Tide"

I know enough of general college football to at least know what the heck's going on with the BCS but that's about it.

I do know the SEC schedule is done some years prior to the current year and sometimes you get cupcakes and sometimes you get USCe, FL, LSU, and GA all in a row or something stupid like that.

While the SEC is done years ahead of time, Bama can never draw a schedule like that. Here's why: The SEC uses 6-1-1 format. 6 games are played against your 6 divisional opponents, 1 game is your cross divisional "rival" and 1 game rotates among the other 6 teams. 3 of the 4 teams. Bama plays Kentucky as the rivalry game, A&M gets Mizzou and LSU gets FLA. While I usually look for any chance to bash on Les Miles, he has a point here, there is no way that system is fair. The 3 teams that compete for the West title play a drastically different level of competition in their required rivalry game.

That said, the SEC member schools overwhelmingly appoved the schedule because it helps the league on the whole. Playing 8 games in coference instead of 9 keeps the teams from beating up on each other and giving the league losses. By only playing 2 games against the other division, it also makes it less likely that you will play someone in the SEC championship that you have already beaten. Beating a team for a second time is less help to your BCS ranking than beating them for the first. Why change things when you are king?

2013-08-15 5:37 PM

User image

While the SEC is done years ahead of time, Bama can never draw a schedule like that. Here's why: The SEC uses 6-1-1 format. 6 games are played against your 6 divisional opponents, 1 game is your cross divisional "rival" and 1 game rotates among the other 6 teams. 3 of the 4 teams. Bama plays Kentucky as the rivalry game, A&M gets Mizzou and LSU gets FLA. While I usually look for any chance to bash on Les Miles, he has a point here, there is no way that system is fair. The 3 teams that compete for the West title play a drastically different level of competition in their required rivalry game.

That said, the SEC member schools overwhelmingly appoved the schedule because it helps the league on the whole. Playing 8 games in coference instead of 9 keeps the teams from beating up on each other and giving the league losses. By only playing 2 games against the other division, it also makes it less likely that you will play someone in the SEC championship that you have already beaten. Beating a team for a second time is less help to your BCS ranking than beating them for the first. Why change things when you are king?

Only problem with that is TN is AL's cross division rival. Third Weekend in October. TN has been a decent team and beat the snot out of AL for the late 90's and early 00's. Shame that Dooley didn't keep that level going.

They play KY every third/fourth year.
2013-08-15 5:47 PM

User image

Master
Folsom (Sacramento), CA

Only problem with that is TN is AL's cross division rival. Third Weekend in October. TN has been a decent team and beat the snot out of AL for the late 90's and early 00's. Shame that Dooley didn't keep that level going.

They play KY every third/fourth year.

Bah, you are right. My point still stands though, TN is a far cry from FLA.

Wow... that is brutal though. Bama gets TN/KY this year and LSU gets FLA/GA. That was what I liked when the Pac-10 played a true round robin.. it was far more fun. Killed the BCS chances of the league, but the season was more fun.
2013-08-16 9:07 AM

User image

Expert
Received our tickets in the mail yesterday. We are kicking off the season with trip to Nashville on Saturday to watch former UofL Coach, Bobby Petrino, put the beatdown on UK. Then back home and up early for a 3:30 home game at Louisville against Ohio, would rather host OSU but despite Strong and Meyers long time friendship OSU has once again said thanks but no thanks to playing the Cards. 1 more year of these crap games and then it's off to the ACC and more intriguing matchups.

Also some new challenges this year with tailgating, downsized from Honda Pilot to Mazda 3 Hatch, but I think I have solved them all including securing 2 prime parking spots across from the stadium. Woot!

Now just hoping for another trip to Miami or New Orleans in Jan. The postseason was good for us last year in all sports.
2013-08-16 11:23 AM

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

Originally posted by uclamatt2007 Should be a good year here in California. UCLA is the favorite in the Pac-12 south and Stanford should compete with Oregon in the north. Fresno State is the trendy BCS Buster pick... they should run their out of conference slate and I think they beat Boise this year, but the road game at San Diego St. could be the one that trips them up. Nebraska UCLA is the early season match up that I am really looking forward to. What does everyone else think about the season?

I'm not sure why you're excited about Nebraska beating you though.  ;-)
Bripod was asking me to go to the UCLA game, so I might be there. 

I'm very excited about this season because we've got a close family friend who should be in the 3 or 4 spot at running back for the Huskers.  It will be cool to see him on the field.

2013-08-16 12:00 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Expert

Hah, I will not be disappointed if Louisville made it to the BCS Championship. In fact I am hoping for that carnage to take place. No doubt Louisville's schedule is not on par with the others and it would take a miracle to get them in. Although, last year all I heard was that Louisville did not stand a chance against SEC power Florida. Louisville beat them like a drum from the play, in fact Florida was the team that looked out matched and desperate by the 2nd half with trick plays.

ETA: If Louisville somehow sneaks into the BCS National Championship any of you Southern Californian's want to show my Wife and I around in Jan?

One more thing, I really want to see a Home and Home with Boise. Love watching them play and one of my favorite bowl memories was watching them beat Oklahoma on my last night in Miami after Louisville won it's first BCS game. Always felt a kinship to their fanbase as they have both built respectable programs without the help of "Power" conference relationships and money.

Edited by Batlou 2013-08-16 12:06 PM

2013-08-17 11:10 AM

User image

1 Alabama (58) 0-0 1498
2 Ohio State (1) 0-0 1365
3 Oregon 0-0 1335
4 Stanford 0-0 1294
5 Georgia (1) 0-0 1249
6 South Carolina 0-0 1154
7 Texas A&M 0-0 1104
8 Clemson 0-0 1083
9 Louisville 0-0 1042
10 Florida 0-0 894
11 Florida State 0-0 845
12 LSU 0-0 802
13 Oklahoma State 0-0 755
14 Notre Dame 0-0 748
15 Texas 0-0 677
16 Oklahoma 0-0 579
17 Michigan 0-0 531
18 Nebraska 0-0 382
19 Boise State 0-0 328
20 TCU 0-0 323
21 UCLA 0-0 286
22 Northwestern 0-0 199
23 Wisconsin 0-0 185
24 USC 0-0 134
25 Oregon State 0-0 129
2013-08-17 11:45 AM

User image

Champion
Checkin' out the podium girls

1 Alabama (58) 0-0 1498
2 Ohio State (1) 0-0 1365
3 Oregon 0-0 1335
4 Stanford 0-0 1294
5 Georgia (1) 0-0 1249
6 South Carolina 0-0 1154
7 Texas A&M 0-0 1104
8 Clemson 0-0 1083
9 Louisville 0-0 1042
10 Florida 0-0 894
11 Florida State 0-0 845
12 LSU 0-0 802
13 Oklahoma State 0-0 755
14 Notre Dame 0-0 748
15 Texas 0-0 677
16 Oklahoma 0-0 579
17 Michigan 0-0 531
18 Nebraska 0-0 382
19 Boise State 0-0 328
20 TCU 0-0 323
21 UCLA 0-0 286
22 Northwestern 0-0 199
23 Wisconsin 0-0 185
24 USC 0-0 134
25 Oregon State 0-0 129

I SO hate this!!! Now, anyone with a decent win is stuck in a slot and can't leapfrog a team ahead of them! Or a close loss ad you can't penalize a team for it, hence, they only fall 1 or 2 slots. Rankings should wait until mid-October.

And wo'se the homer sports writer who voted for Georgia? Really?
2013-08-19 7:24 AM
in reply to: pitt83

User image

As much as I would love a VT hokie win over Alabama, i'm being realistic and hoping that it won't be a shut-out
2013-08-19 7:38 AM
in reply to: austhokie

User image

Originally posted by austhokie

As much as I would love a VT hokie win over Alabama, i'm being realistic and hoping that it won't be a shut-out

I'm thinking y'all get a touchdown at some point. Maybe two but depends on how well the AL defense has come together and whether the DUI guy messes up the chemistry.

New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Anyone else looking forward to college football? Rss Feed  

of 7

RELATED POSTS

Thoughts on College Football, 2005 Pages: 1 2

Started by El Oso
Views: 3130 Posts: 49

2005-12-08 9:34 AM the bear

College Football for Dummies Pages: 1 2

Started by Jiggies
Views: 2254 Posts: 29

2005-11-20 10:48 AM tyrant

COLLEGE FOOTBALL!!

Started by Comet
Views: 1318 Posts: 18

2005-09-06 1:05 PM Brett

College football drawing near...It's over clowns Pages: 1 2

Started by Det
Views: 3180 Posts: 38

2005-08-03 9:21 AM jwbrandon

Who will win: UF vs FSU College Football Pages: 1 2

Started by DJP1812
Views: 2308 Posts: 30

2004-11-23 12:30 PM G8RLA94
RELATED ARTICLES
date : December 22, 2011
author : writingrunner
comments : 1
Where to find the time WITHOUT getting up early

date : August 7, 2009
author : FitWerx
Would it be a simple and advisable to swap back and forth between the road seat post with no aero bars and the tri seat post with aero bars?
date : February 17, 2009
author : Amy Kuitse
comments : 13
I have pedals with the cage and when I ride 2+ hours my legs feel much more tired then if I took out my husband's bike with clipless pedals. Do clipless pedals truly make the difference?

date : August 5, 2008
author : FitWerx
comments : 0
I have a Specialized Allez Elite road bike with aero bars. It has the stock seatpost. I am interested in changing the seat post to one that is more forward. What would I look for?
date : July 30, 2006
author : AMSSM
I started riding this spring with the Carnac shoes on Look pedals (with plenty of float). About five minutes into a ride I get sharp pain on the outer edge of my feet, just behind the pedal.

date : July 3, 2006
author : ChiRunning
Discussion on many aspects of ChiRunning such as falling forward, posture, hamstring tightness, stride length, leaning, stretching
date : June 5, 2006
author : AMSSM
How can gluteus medius weakness/problems be involved in iliotibial band syndrome? What specific exercises should be used in building gluteus medius strength in post-ITB syndrome treatment?

date : November 14, 2004
author : Andrea
I'm on the other side of the college-student desk. I'm the one with the red pen in my hand. Those of us with schedules that change from day to day actually have an advantage, I think.