General Discussion Triathlon Talk » It is Official- Ironman Chattanooga Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 4

2013-08-16 5:36 AM
in reply to: lisac957

User image

Champion
Knoxville area
Subject: RE: It is Official- Ironman Chattanooga
Originally posted by lisac957

Originally posted by jbholcom

Originally posted by Rogillio Any guesses on how long to sell out? My thinking is, being an inaugural event it will sell out in a few hours. What say you?

It seems so similar to Louisville (river swim, hills, area of the country, time of year, weather (?) etc.) - and Louisville just sold out today for the race in a few weeks. 

Tough to guess.

With all of the buzz, my guess is that IM Chattanooga sells out within hours. My Facebook news feed is running nonstop about this event. People in Chattanooga are stoked. There is absolutely no way to compare Louisville to Chattanooga.

So for someone not familiar with that area of the country (besides doing IMLOU) - what are the big differences between the two?

The biggest difference is that TN is awesome.

2013-08-16 8:27 AM
in reply to: Leegoocrap

User image

Master
2013-08-16 8:40 AM
in reply to: pschriver

User image

My wife and I are both in for sure. I DNF'd IMTX this year (due to a lot of different circumstances) and I need some redemption.

We're in Atlanta, but if anyone within driving range of the course wanted to head up there in the next few months and ride a loop, I'd be down.

I think thats the biggest perk for me, being able to ride the course a dozen times before race day. I went into IMTX totally blind, and while the course was easy I still didnt like not knowing where I was.

IMCHOOCHOO here we come!
2013-08-16 8:56 AM
in reply to: Iwannarunlikeforrest

User image

Champion
Alabama
Originally posted by Iwannarunlikeforrest

My wife and I are both in for sure. I DNF'd IMTX this year (due to a lot of different circumstances) and I need some redemption.

We're in Atlanta, but if anyone within driving range of the course wanted to head up there in the next few months and ride a loop, I'd be down.

I think thats the biggest perk for me, being able to ride the course a dozen times before race day. I went into IMTX totally blind, and while the course was easy I still didnt like not knowing where I was.

IMCHOOCHOO here we come!

I am only 2 hrs from Chattanooga and thought the same thing about being able to bike the course before hand......but I'm not sure I want to do that. I kinda like the idea of the course being an 'unknown'. I like not knowing what is around the next bend or over the top of that hill. I like seeing new and different things. So IDK if I will bike it before the race or not.

I'm really looking forward to this. This is gonna be an awesome venue....and great time of year. Think about this....peak training is gonna be June-Jul-Aug so you will be aclimated to the heat of the summer.....but the race being in late Sept it will (hopefully) be cooling off by then.
2013-08-16 9:30 AM
in reply to: slaterson19

User image

Veteran
Greenville, SC

Originally posted by slaterson19 This is the closest IM to eastern N.C. and still a 10 hour and 40 minute drive. Blah.

I would guess you are meaning a Mdot race because B2B is an iron distance race and right in your back yard...

2013-08-16 9:33 AM
in reply to: pschriver

User image

Veteran
Greenville, SC

Originally posted by pschriver IM in

Was going to do IMFL in 2015 but now I have to make the decision.  I have to weigh the choice of a closer race with rolling hills or a little farther away that is pancake flat...need to make my decision soon because if it is Florida I was going to volunteer during the 2014 race to have first dibs on registration for 2015...

What are the odds does everyone think that this race will be like Florida and you will have to volunteer to have a chance at registration?

2013-08-16 9:34 AM
in reply to: 7ofClubs

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ridgeland, Mississippi
The Jackson, MS crowd is happy about it.  It's only a 5.5 hour drive for us.  If I were to do another Ironman, this would be it.
2013-08-16 9:42 AM
in reply to: bhmyrick

User image

Master
Rogersville, Alabama
Originally posted by bhmyrick

We will have course info up soon. They will be subject to change.

Swim will be 2.4 miles down stream. We will bus athletes to the start. Spectators will have a great view from the Riverwalk. The swim exit will be at Ross's Landing before heading up to the parking lot for transition.

Bike course can be seen at http://www.mapmyride.com/routes/view/265712445
Ive used several Garmins to track elevation gain and gotten numbers between 2000 and 2400ft of climbing.

Run course will be up soon as well.

Finish will be on Broad Street in front of the Tennessee Aquarium.

Im really excited about this race. Ive spent a lot of time in Chattanooga with the local organizing committee and the bike course is a ton of fun to ride. The run will show off downtown Chattanooga. There are so many things for families to do in and around Chattanooga.

Brian Myrick- RD

I would "assume" the Marriott/Convention Center would be the Host Hotel/Expo ?
2013-08-16 9:54 AM
in reply to: Leegoocrap

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member
Originally posted by Leegoocrap

Originally posted by Rogillio Any guesses on how long to sell out? My thinking is, being an inaugural event it will sell out in a few hours. What say you?

It seems so similar to Louisville (river swim, hills, area of the country, time of year, weather (?) etc.) - and Louisville just sold out today for the race in a few weeks. 

Tough to guess.

With all of the buzz, my guess is that IM Chattanooga sells out within hours. My Facebook news feed is running nonstop about this event. People in Chattanooga are stoked. There is absolutely no way to compare Louisville to Chattanooga.

So for someone not familiar with that area of the country (besides doing IMLOU) - what are the big differences between the two?

The biggest difference is that TN is awesome.

Haha.. *like*
But what makes TN awesome? Are there mountains? No humidity? Baby-butt smooth roads? Inquiring minds want to know  

2013-08-16 9:54 AM

User image

Regular

Tough to guess.

Lou and Choo very similar format terrain (Depends on the actual bike course). The biggest difference is the timing, there is virtually no chance of a 95 degree race like Lou had last year. You could get some unseasonably warm weather but the temps should not be close to what Lou can throw at you.
Also from a spectator standpoint Chattanooga has a heck of a lot more to do for the family. Of all the races I have done my family enjoyed the Chattanooga’s Waterfront tri the best.

I may even wager if the finish ends as advertised it will rival 4th street which is amazing.
2013-08-16 9:58 AM
in reply to: Iwannarunlikeforrest

User image

Regular
Originally posted by Iwannarunlikeforrest

IMCHOOCHOO here we come!

PM me when you want to ride. I believe I met you and your wife at the Craig Alexander book signing and on Marta for the Peachtree. I live in Canton so it is a short drive for me and will ride it as much as possible.

Lemme know.

2013-08-16 10:15 AM
in reply to: 7ofClubs

User image

Champion
Alabama
I told my wife I was planning on doing this race and she said, "Well don't forget your wheel this time!"

Backstory. A few years ago I did the Chattanooga Waterfront Oly. Chattanooga is about 2 hrs from our home. I loaded up my biked in the back of the Yukon and drove to Chattanooga the nigth before the race. Unloading the bike at the hotel I realized I had forgotten the front wheel of my bike that I had taken off to load it in the Yukon. Arrrgh! I called my wife and met her 1/2 way between home and Chattanooga with the wheel.

So there are benefits to doing a race close to home. ;-)
2013-08-16 11:55 AM
in reply to: Rogillio

Veteran
Roanoke, VA
I did IMLP this year and I swore I was not doing another one in 2014. IMCHOOCHOO is very tempting however. I am currently in negotiations with management - we'll see.

Any thoughts on possible HIMs to do prior to Chattanooga? If I follow the same training schedule as I did for IMLP, the HIM should be about early August.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Mike
2013-08-16 12:11 PM
in reply to: mdalsey

User image

New user

Chicago
Originally posted by mdalsey

I did IMLP this year and I swore I was not doing another one in 2014. IMCHOOCHOO is very tempting however. I am currently in negotiations with management - we'll see.

Any thoughts on possible HIMs to do prior to Chattanooga? If I follow the same training schedule as I did for IMLP, the HIM should be about early August.

Mike

Hi Mike - There's Racine, which I did this year which is always an awesome time. Fairly flat course, so not much hill practice, but fun nonetheless. That's at the end of July. Then there's also Steelhead in Benton Harbor, MI at the beginning of August. Never done that one, but I hear the swim tends to be brutal. There's definitely some options.
2013-08-16 12:49 PM
in reply to: Rogillio

User image

Veteran
Murfreesboro, TN
Originally posted by Rogillio

Tough to guess.

But IMKY sold out on the first day in 2006. I did the first one in 2007. So my thinking is there will be a lot of locals that will want to do it just because it's in their backyard (like me). So I think the first year it will sell out fast and then, yeah, be like Louisville afterwards.

OTOH, since it is so similar to Louisville and pretty close to Louisville maybe it won't be in high demand?!

;-) Kinda like predicting what the stockmarket is gonna do.....

It's so close to Kona that a lot of already qualified folks will be gearing up to go to The Big Island.
2013-08-16 1:00 PM
in reply to: Chris.1333

User image

Champion
Alabama
Originally posted by Chris.1333

Tough to guess.

But IMKY sold out on the first day in 2006. I did the first one in 2007. So my thinking is there will be a lot of locals that will want to do it just because it's in their backyard (like me). So I think the first year it will sell out fast and then, yeah, be like Louisville afterwards.

OTOH, since it is so similar to Louisville and pretty close to Louisville maybe it won't be in high demand?!

It's so close to Kona that a lot of already qualified folks will be gearing up to go to The Big Island.

True....but what percentage or participants are actually vying for a slot at Kona?

2013-08-16 2:09 PM
in reply to: Diesel J

Veteran
Roanoke, VA
Originally posted by Diesel J

Originally posted by mdalsey

Mike

Hi Mike - There's Racine, which I did this year which is always an awesome time. Fairly flat course, so not much hill practice, but fun nonetheless. That's at the end of July. Then there's also Steelhead in Benton Harbor, MI at the beginning of August. Never done that one, but I hear the swim tends to be brutal. There's definitely some options.

Thanks! I'll check these out.
2013-08-16 2:47 PM
in reply to: Chris.1333

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by Chris.1333

Tough to guess.

That's true... But it's also going to be one of the first qualifying races for the 2015 WC. Wonder how many people will target this race specifically for that.
2013-08-19 7:10 PM

This one works for me on many points and gets as my choice for my first IM:
1. River downstream swim - I need all the swim help I can get AND ... NO SALT WATER!!! I hate distance saltwater swims which is why I decided agains IMFL. Also water should be low 70's, another plus so that I can use my "floatie"
2. Reasonable bike climb: 2100 ft... yeah, not IMFL, but won't have brutal winds that AZ seems to have.
3. Reasonable run climb of 700ft.
4. September 24th... NO KILLER HEAT!!! (I just did IM Raleigh 70.3)
5. 8 hour drive from home... closest IM branded event to me and I can drive... NO BIKE TRANSPORT COSTS!!!
6. A fun place for the family, they can see me swim and some run and play the rest of the time.

Yeah, I set my alarm for noon on Sept 4th.
2013-08-19 8:59 PM
in reply to: mdalsey

Extreme Veteran
Look into the Nashvegas 1/2, might not be a bad race just prior to your taper for the full.. a little close, but not TOO close.
I was talking with my wife on IMCHOO and said (prior to the announcement).. "rumor is that Chat, will have a full.. if it is true i'm going to have to bail on my plans to not race a full in 2014....".. looks like i'll need to pick up something blingy for her for putting up with this again.. although only one full in 2014..
2013-08-20 12:47 PM
in reply to: Diesel J

User image

The Atomic Man Half is being moved to Labor Day 2014, one month prior to Chattanooga. That will be the 12th year of the half iron distance event in Lenoir City/Oak Ridge, TN just 81 miles North of Chattanooga.

We've traditionally had the last weekend of September. Here is a link to the 2013 event: http://www.imathlete.com/events/EventOverview.aspx?fEID=14655&z=137... - Oh yea, cost is only $100 early & includes free training days on courses, pre-race meal, socks, shirt, finishers medal and lots of door prizes - check it out. Max 400 athletes.

2013-08-23 12:14 PM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

Extreme Veteran
Really South
Mobile, AL is stoked and will have a group heading north for IMChatt

Mobile = absolutely zero hills......will be interesting!
2013-08-23 12:23 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Champion
Alabama
Originally posted by Knoxtriguy

The Atomic Man Half is being moved to Labor Day 2014, one month prior to Chattanooga. That will be the 12th year of the half iron distance event in Lenoir City/Oak Ridge, TN just 81 miles North of Chattanooga.

We've traditionally had the last weekend of September. Here is a link to the 2013 event: http://www.imathlete.com/events/EventOverview.aspx?fEID=14655&z=137... - Oh yea, cost is only $100 early & includes free training days on courses, pre-race meal, socks, shirt, finishers medal and lots of door prizes - check it out. Max 400 athletes.

Awesome! Thanks for posting this. I've wanted to do this race for years but never 'got around to it'. When I decided to do IMChoo, Atomicman came to mind as a good lead up to the IM but when I looked for when it was, it was too close to Chattanooga.

Edited by Rogillio 2013-08-23 12:27 PM
2013-08-24 10:52 AM
in reply to: Knoxtriguy

User image

Master
Rogersville, Alabama

Any chance of an Aqua bike division?
2013-08-24 2:33 PM
in reply to: MyThreeSons

User image

Champion
Alabama
Originally posted by MyThreeSons

Any chance of an Aqua bike division?

Every triathlon has this division.....it's called DNF. LOL Just kidding.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » It is Official- Ironman Chattanooga Rss Feed  

of 4

RELATED POSTS

CEEPO becomes Ironman's Official Bike Sponsor

Started by Mimir98
Views: 2349 Posts: 1

2008-12-22 10:32 AM Mimir98

I am an official triathlete!

Started by rmattison78
Views: 824 Posts: 7

2007-08-08 12:51 PM enginerd

I Am An Official Triathlete!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Started by Shannon3
Views: 1236 Posts: 19

2007-06-23 10:22 PM mbydalek

Its official...I AM A TRIATHLETE!!!

Started by orphious
Views: 1093 Posts: 16

2007-05-08 1:32 PM docswim24

It's official: Ironman Louisville 2007 (and 08-11)

Started by BGTwinDad
Views: 1657 Posts: 11

2006-10-04 1:02 PM shadowfax
RELATED ARTICLES
date : June 23, 2012
author : ytriguy
comments : 0
Often it makes sense to race slower in order to finish faster and at the same time have a more enjoyable Ironman Triathlon experience.

date : April 18, 2012
author : alicefoeller
comments : 3
An unexpected upside of completing a full distance triathlon
date : March 15, 2012
author : USATriathlon
comments : 1
This USAT Rules Clinic will help you avoid penalties. Topics discussed will be rules of the transition area, drafting penalties, the drafting zone, challenging penalties and more.

date : June 27, 2011
author : alicefoeller
comments : 8
A middle-of-the-pack triathlete takes on the iron distance for the first time at Rev3's inaugural full distance race
date : May 5, 2008
author : TriPainter
comments : 1
I went into the pool area (as this was a pool swim) and got body marked. That's when it hit me that I was there to race - this was not a clinic.

date : September 12, 2007
author : johnrunner
comments : 6
Race report on the Chattanooga Waterfront Tri - Beginners Point of View. This was my first Olympic length triathlon and also the first time I had done a race with cycling shoes instead of cages.
date : July 30, 2006
author : IRONVIKING
comments : 0
If a heart patient can do these things, then so can those of you who haven't been split open like a fish and sewn back together.

date : June 4, 2006
author : Rich Strauss
comments : 2
I was not an official; I simply observed the race and the officials doing their thing. Here is what I saw: