General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Now with Chattanooga announced... Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2013-08-16 2:47 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Pro
Subject: RE: Now with Chattanooga announced...
Originally posted by thebigb

No, they will care if they can watch it for an hour start to finish......and somebody crashes.

Believe me, I hope that becomes the case because I would absolutely LOVE to have more fast, short, draft legal events I could hop into. I just don't think lazy Joe at the coffee pot is ever going to be impressed by any type of short course racing.

Have you seen the prize purses/viewership for Cross fit races?

I think the problem is that even triathletes don't know this type of racing is out there.  I take people, who do triathlon, to cup races that we attend and they are like, "whoa.......this is crazy!!!".  And they love it. 

In my mind, it's not lazy Joe at the coffee pot, it's self-absorbed "triathlete" John at the bike shop counter who isn't really a fan of the sport, just a fan of telling everyone he's a "triathlete". I realize that's a little strong, but my point is that most "triathletes" don't even get how multi-faceted the sport is and what is out there.  Don't everyone get their panties in a bunch because I can easily include myself before all hell broke loose with my kids......but my eyes have been opened, and there is some fantastic RACING out there. 

Edited by Left Brain 2013-08-16 2:52 PM

2013-08-16 2:52 PM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Expert
Scottsdale, AZ
Originally posted by Left Brain

No, they will care if they can watch it for an hour start to finish......and somebody crashes.

Believe me, I hope that becomes the case because I would absolutely LOVE to have more fast, short, draft legal events I could hop into. I just don't think lazy Joe at the coffee pot is ever going to be impressed by any type of short course racing.

Have you seen the prize purses/viewership for Cross fit races?

I think the problem is that even triathletes don't know this type of racing is out there.  I take people, who do triathlon, to cup races that we attend and they are like, "whoa.......this is crazy!!!".  And they love it. 

In my mind, it's not lazy Joe at the coffee pot, it's self-absorbed "triathlete" John at the bike shop who isn't really a fan of the sport, just a fan of telling everyone he's a "triathlete". I realize that's a little strong, but my point is that most "triathletes" don't even get how multi-faceted the sport is and what is out there.  Don't everyone get their panties in a bunch because I can easily include myself before all hell broke loose with my kids......but my eyes have been opened, and there is some fantastic RACING out there. 

Absolutely agree with you on that.
2013-08-16 9:03 PM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Elite
Originally posted by Left Brain

Originally posted by blbriley I think it's going to be interesting to see if your perspective changes when you race IMLT. I love your enthusiasm for your kids racing and ITU. I think you are spot on in that the shorter distances is where professional triathlon is headed. But I doubt the 140.6 is threatened in anyway. WTC is a business and they are making mad amounts of money on the egos of middle aged athletes who need to prove themselves that they can endure. You've been hanging out with the "Usain Bolts" and there are a ton of marathoners out there. It's the old (sad) fact that if you told somebody at a cocktail party that you just ran a 16:xx 5K and the person next to you said they just ran a 5:30 marathon, the person would be more impressed with the marathon. People are always going to be enamored with "going long". And that's the beauty of this sport; we get apples AND oranges!
Nail. Head. Whack! Once school is over nobody cares (except for a small few) how fast you went but rather how long it was and how crazy you are. I can run a 3hr mary but nobody will care when the guy next to me just squeaked by with a 15:59 IM finish.

This is where IM get it wrong - they don't package the race right for TV - it can be done but it isn't.  That's why ITU is so good to watch on TV.  It's over quick.  We have a short attention span us tv watchers.  I don't know how you guys sit through a superbowl! 

You're right - the crashes and disasters are a viewer's delight - I watch a Formula One GP race and the crashes make me wince but keep me interested.  Human nature.

2013-08-18 8:05 AM
in reply to: bcagle25

User image

Veteran
Pittsburgh, PA
What does "KPR" mean in #4?
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Now with Chattanooga announced... Rss Feed  

of 2

RELATED POSTS

Williamsburg HIM announced

Started by Marvarnett
Views: 1371 Posts: 16

2007-01-22 4:56 PM captantony

New Triathlon Series announced

Started by bryancd
Views: 1470 Posts: 15

2006-12-13 11:32 AM jpb0009

Lakeside Triathlon - just announced (IL)

Started by Writebrained
Views: 997 Posts: 8

2006-11-10 11:40 AM chirunner134

Lifetime Fitness announces $1 million Tri Series

Started by Matchman
Views: 731 Posts: 3

2006-06-01 12:06 PM Denise2003

Lance announced...

Started by Browe79
Views: 1336 Posts: 16

2005-02-17 9:38 AM the bear
RELATED ARTICLES
date : September 12, 2007
author : johnrunner
comments : 6
Race report on the Chattanooga Waterfront Tri - Beginners Point of View. This was my first Olympic length triathlon and also the first time I had done a race with cycling shoes instead of cages.