General Discussion Triathlon Talk » 140.6 IronClyde Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-08-15 8:15 PM

User image

Subject: 140.6 IronClyde
After much consideration Ive committed to race Ironman Louisville in 2014. I'm interested to hear if any of my bigger brethren have raced this distance. What did your off season look like? Did you follow the BT ironman program? Any advice/tips you wish you would have known before you started your own training program?

2013-08-16 7:39 AM
in reply to: MUohio

User image

Subject: RE: 140.6 IronClyde
I have no advice but am interested in the response as I will be doing IMLP 2014 as my first 140.6. Good luck!
2013-08-16 1:19 PM

User image

Chicago, IL
I'm doing IMLOU this year, in 9 days in fact. This will be my first full IM, so I can't offer any words of wisdom surrounding the race itself.

I started training in January, I followed the Don Fink "Be Iron Fit" Competitive program. In that time I have dropped from 233lbs to about 205, in spite of eating a lot (more than I did prior to beginning the program, at least).

In hindsight, I wished I'd done more strength and flexibility training last winter. Once you begin the 30-week program, and it ramps up, I found I had zero time to do anything except the prescribed s/b/r/ workouts, and I feel I would have appreciated a better "strength" base.
2013-08-16 6:36 PM
in reply to: pmtaylor621

User image

Veteran
Edmonton, AB
Done 4 and have 3 more registered. It's an awesome journey and you're going to have some serious ups and downs. Keep plugging, the reward is so worth it at the end.

I actually interviewed a number of other athletes and wrote an article about the commitment needed. Have a read if you're interested! Good luck and keep us updated on how it's going.

http://trifattytri.blogspot.ca/2013/07/working-towards-ironman-job-...
2013-08-18 1:51 PM

User image

Expert
I'm an Athena not a clyde, but I have done two Ironmans, both around 185-190 lbs. Florida in 2010 and Wisconsin in 2012.

For both races, in the off season I did about 10-12 hours a week, usually bike three times, swim two times, run 4 times/week. No bricks in the off-season. long bikes up to 2 hours (for florida, I guess my long bikes were longer since the race was so late in the year, in my off season I did a half IM (in June, so that time, I biked longer, 2 hours up until early may or so, and then ramped it up for the half.

For both races, I chose to go with a coach who tailored a program to me and my work schedule, which can sometimes be challenging.
2013-08-20 11:55 AM
in reply to: #4830468

User image

Great to hear all the advice and suggestions from seasoned "pros". Keep it coming! I'll be volunteering at IMLOU this year. Good luck to all who are racing. Thanks for the link. Very inspiring.

2013-08-21 9:45 AM

User image

Expert
Fernandina Beach, FL
I'm signed up for my first IM in Nov. Biggest piece of advice I can offer, hire a coach. I was skeptical at first, thinking I could do it alone, but am very happy I made the decision to hire one
2013-08-22 12:30 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Veteran
Avondale
I am 6'6", 230 pounds (down from 315) and was in no way athletic until about 4 years ago. I am also highly UNcompetitive with others. but I do love triathlon even though I am slow. My first IM is IMAZ 2013 November 17!!!

For your first IM, I agree with the "hire a coach" crowd. It is the best decision I have mad in this IM journey! My coach, Frank Sole in Scottsdale, AZ, really tailors my training to what an old guy without a history of athleticism can do. He pushes me, has me rest at the correct times, and motivates and encourages me. Well, worth the money.

Edited by Mikeylee 2013-08-22 12:32 AM
2013-08-22 7:17 AM

User image

I am signing up for my first full IM in October '14. I am following the "iron fit" 30 week competitive plan, and I signed up for a marathon in march. I'll let you know how it goes. I'm 6'5" 230 so it will be a challenge. Good luck, keep me posted!
2013-08-24 6:59 AM
in reply to: #4830468

User image

After multiple suggestions I ended up getting the ironfit book. Seems to be a lot of great advice. For those of you that have gone with don finks program did you do the "intermediate" or "just finish" program. The just finish program looks really light on training.
2013-08-28 10:04 AM

User image

Master
Crab Cake City
Originally posted by MUohio

After multiple suggestions I ended up getting the ironfit book. Seems to be a lot of great advice. For those of you that have gone with don finks program did you do the "intermediate" or "just finish" program. The just finish program looks really light on training.

I will be using the Comp program for my first full next august at IMMT. I have a coach now who lives 2 blocks away but I dont think I can afford him for another 7months next year but I might consult with him every now and again. I think the just finish program relies on you having somewhat of a decent base and knowledge of the sport before trying. I am sure the time committment will get you there if that is all you got but after looking at it, I would think you need a decent base to start. The intermediate is a great plan too that works well for some.

2013-08-28 10:46 PM

User image

Expert
Salem

I used the competitive plan. I had some base, but the plan was enough of a build up that it worked out fine. I built in 3 extra weeks in case of injuries, unplanned family issues and/or other things. I used all three weeks. After the 1st half of the plan I probably swam two times per week instead of the three. When I did swim the two times I swam hard and got the most out of it. I did a number of time trials to make sure I was on point. (swam a 1:11:10 and was shooting for a 1:15:00) I did a lot of indoor training rides during the week and most of weekend rides on the road, unless it was raining (in Oregon that can be a lot); I did some major long rides on the trainer of up to 4 hours; builds some mental strength to stick with it. Running for the most part was always outdoors. My furthest was 13 or so miles. That was about 3 hrs. or just short of 3 hours for me on a hilly route.

Good luck w/ your training. I bought the Ironbefit book electronically and used a Kindle Reader on the computer.
2013-08-30 1:32 PM

User image

Expert
CenTex
I did IMLOU in 2010 @ ~245#. I also used IronFit. I would suggest that you start with the Comp workouts. This will help build a solid base and won't hurt if you decide to step down to one of the other levels.

The biggest piece of advice for Louisville is to nail down your hydration. It is very hot and humid there and I saw many people suffering, cramping, etc., due to issues with heat and hydration. That and ride lots of hills.

I picked LOU b/c the terrain and weather are not that different than Central TX, so I was acclimated. If you can work through that piece, you'll be fine.

Good luck and enjoy the journey! That, IMO, is the best part of the race.
2013-08-30 3:11 PM
in reply to: TriGuyBri

User image

Originally posted by TriGuyBri

I used the competitive plan. I had some base, but the plan was enough of a build up that it worked out fine. I built in 3 extra weeks in case of injuries, unplanned family issues and/or other things. I used all three weeks. After the 1st half of the plan I probably swam two times per week instead of the three. When I did swim the two times I swam hard and got the most out of it. I did a number of time trials to make sure I was on point. (swam a 1:11:10 and was shooting for a 1:15:00) I did a lot of indoor training rides during the week and most of weekend rides on the road, unless it was raining (in Oregon that can be a lot); I did some major long rides on the trainer of up to 4 hours; builds some mental strength to stick with it. Running for the most part was always outdoors. My furthest was 13 or so miles. That was about 3 hrs. or just short of 3 hours for me on a hilly route.

Good luck w/ your training. I bought the Ironbefit book electronically and used a Kindle Reader on the computer.

What did you do to add the weeks? extra training days, or left 3 weeks open so that if you missed a workout you could just pick up where you were and not actually "miss" it or have to make it up?
2013-09-07 8:38 PM
in reply to: #4837856

User image

Thanks for the advise George and congrats on your Lousiville finish.
2013-09-10 10:35 AM

User image

Sensei
Sin City

I'm not sure what "big" means to you...  There may be some differences if you are 201 or 301...

BUT, I'm 6'7" and typically race around 235#.  I knocked out 4 of them so far.  I used the BT plans for 3 of them and a plan from the Essential week by weeek triathlon training plan" book.

I personally like the plans that mix it up some (for boredom sake) The Ironfit and Week by Week plans seem to be basically the same week to week with just the duration increasing.

Definitely look for a plan that looks "fun" because it's a grind no matter what.  I also try to combine my long ride days with other riding events.  For me, I really appreciated company on long rides so maybe you can find a group to go with.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » 140.6 IronClyde Rss Feed