General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Endurance Fuel Suggestions Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-08-16 8:04 PM

Subject: Endurance Fuel Suggestions
I'm looking for a good endurance fuel to use for my 5-6 hour runs. It would be really helpful if you can give answers to some or all of the questions below.
1. What endurance fuel do you currently use?
2. Why do you choose it over other products?
3. Is there anything you dislike or think can be improved about the product?
4. Where can I buy or find out more about the product?
5 (optional). I heard about Tailwind Endurance Fuel from a friend. If you used it before, what are your thoughts on it?

Edited by berkeleyrunner 2013-08-16 8:05 PM

2013-08-16 11:02 PM
in reply to: berkeleyrunner

User image

Pearland,Tx
Subject: RE: Endurance Fuel Suggestions
I use Hammer gel or Gu

1-before i start running,stretch for 10 mins for the gel to be absorb. Hammer gel 1 every 45 mins.

1/3 bottle of 9 Oz gatorade every mile. I bring 4X 9Oz Gatorade in my fuel belt.

ITs really up to your body experiment what works for you during training , the one that does not give you tummy trouble.
2013-08-16 11:03 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Pearland,Tx
oops double

Edited by strykergt 2013-08-16 11:03 PM
2013-08-17 8:26 AM

User image

Total Tri-Newbie and slower-than-molasses runner, but thought I'd throw some thoughts in here for you. I'm a type 1 diabetic so endurance fuel without blood sugar spikes is something I've toyed with for a couple of years...

1. What endurance fuel do you currently use? -Anything over an hour I use UCAN.

2. Why do you choose it over other products? -No blood sugar spike. Very even fuel for your body that encourages your body to burn body fat since by avoiding sugar spike.

3. Is there anything you dislike or think can be improved about the product? -Taste is pretty rough with some flavors. The lemon/lime is least offensive. Cost is outrageous.

4. Where can I buy or find out more about the product? -http://www.generationucan.com

5 (optional). I heard about Tailwind Endurance Fuel from a friend. If you used it before, what are your thoughts on it? -Love Tailwind!! I ran with Tailwind for a couple of months last year and really liked the product. No sugary taste. Electrolytes are well balanced. I stopped using it because I wanted to regulate my electrolytes separate from my fueling.

Hope you find something that works for you.
2013-08-19 11:45 AM

User image

Expert
Brookings South Dakota
Originally posted by berkeleyrunner

I'm looking for a good endurance fuel to use for my 5-6 hour runs. It would be really helpful if you can give answers to some or all of the questions below.
5 (optional). I heard about Tailwind Endurance Fuel from a friend. If you used it before, what are your thoughts on it?

1) MCT Oil + Island Boost
2) I like the fat addition from the oil. I'll either take the IB by itself in its pouch or mix it with water and the oil in a bottle. Tastes great, natural.
3) My review: http://www.runningonthewhiteline.com/2013/08/island-boost-review.ht...
4) REI
5) no comment. Friend uses and likes the brand.
2013-08-20 3:41 AM

User image

Veteran
Dartmouth, Massachusetts

1. Chia seed gel w/sea salt
2. A friend turned me on to chia. It has water retention qualities and I was having cramping/salting issues until I started using chia in conjunction with coconut water.
3. It can be difficult to transport; I used a empty 12oz bottle of agave nectar to carry my chia gel mixture.
4. You can buy the product at any natural food stores...even some supermarkets carry chia now. For more info, google my friend
5. I don't know much about the product. I looked it up quickly...it looks interesting but I prefer Infinit if I'm going to go down this road because I can cater the blend to my personal needs.

2013-08-23 12:01 PM

User image

Master
Nashville, TN
i use infinit and have a formula for the run and bike. The run has less protein. If u want a discount code hit tme up
2013-08-25 6:04 PM

Regular

1) Vitargo S2
2) Like UCANN, no sugar spike and can go on 1/2 the calories that I need with sugar based products
3) Cost is expensive but only use 1/2 the quantity and only on long rides
4) genr8speed.com
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Endurance Fuel Suggestions Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

How do you hydrate/fuel on long runs?

Started by TH3_FRB
Views: 1920 Posts: 24

2005-05-18 10:47 AM gtrieb33

banana chips as fuel?

Started by trilover
Views: 1038 Posts: 3

2005-05-09 8:19 PM piggpen35

Fuel for morning workouts

Started by 3558
Views: 1648 Posts: 17

2005-05-20 10:54 PM Writebrained

The Tri-Fuel Bomb

Started by Ron
Views: 1224 Posts: 1

2004-01-17 10:36 AM Ron

Race fuel-what do you use?

Started by Brenda
Views: 1542 Posts: 9

2005-05-08 8:30 AM Wookiee
RELATED ARTICLES
date : July 9, 2007
author : AMSSM
comments : 0
The consensus is that caffeine does enhance performance and decreases perceived exertion in endurance exercise. There are no significant performance benefits in short, high-intensity exercise.

date : May 1, 2006
author : Nancy Clark
comments : 1
Below are just a few tips from sports dietitians and other health professionals who help active people transform their food fears into peaceful fueling.
date : March 5, 2006
Many athletes train hard but fail to fuel their bodies at the right times with the right foods. Sound familiar? You might want to think about getting a nutrition check up with a sports dietitian.

date : April 18, 2005
The following is a sneak peak at Nancy Clark’s upcoming book on endurance nutrition - The Cyclist’s Food Guide: Fueling for the Distance
date : April 3, 2005
author : dara
Planing a successful nutrition strategy of fueling for your first Ironman triathlon.

date : January 24, 2005
author : BrianPBN
As every veteran athlete can attest, a non-existent or ill planned ‘race meal plan’ will leave you falling far short of your goals or even worse, in the medical tent.
date : January 24, 2005
comments : 1
You know what you should eat. Yet you just don’t want to. Yuck—whole wheat bread, bran cereal, oatmeal, skim milk, spinach, fish, fruit for snacks and desserts.

date : December 12, 2004
As an athlete who shows responsibility by training hard, you'll miss the boat if you are irresponsible with fueling your hard worked body.