of 4

2013-08-19 4:38 PM
in reply to: Chillin

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member
Subject: RE: Cheaters at local race

Originally posted by Chillin

I don't understand when I run past other racers who are having a conversation. Aren't we racing here?  

Ban talking during races.

Laughing

2013-08-19 4:43 PM

User image

Champion
the alamo city, Texas

Originally posted by gotab
Originally posted by Chillin The other warning about wearing headphones during a race is that you'll miss out on a lot of the race excitement. You won't be able to listen to bands, hear people cheering, or talk to other runners.
This is the main reason I like wearing them. I hate talking to other runners. Also, I really don't want to hear some frat boy spectator yelling at me to "put on a shirt fattie*!" But like I said, if they were banned (not discouraged, BANNED, as they are in triathlons, then I would not wear them). *Yes, happened to me.*
LOL, well more the cheering and overall race excitement then socializing with other runners. I don't understand when I run past other racers who are having a conversation. Aren't we racing here? WTF? I've never seen spectators be anything but encouraging (Maybe because us Canadians are all so polite ). I hope he was told off by the other spectators.

no, lots of us aren't racing.  not everyone is out for a podium.  I love making chit chat with other racers, makes my 65 minute 10k go a lot quicker.

I fully plan to talk to lisac during my first marathon, even though i'm allowed headphones.  BOOM.

2013-08-19 4:44 PM
in reply to: lisac957

User image

NC
Originally posted by lisac957

I don't understand when I run past other racers who are having a conversation. Aren't we racing here?  

Laughing

I find that the discussions before and after are the most offensive.

2013-08-19 4:46 PM

User image

Champion
the alamo city, Texas

Laughing

ban people that aren't racing during races.

2013-08-19 4:48 PM
in reply to: mehaner

User image

Champion
Chicago
Originally posted by mehaner

Laughing

Or just ban people who can't finish in the top 3!!! Duh.
2013-08-19 4:49 PM
in reply to: mr2tony

Houston
Originally posted by mr2tony

Laughing

Just ban people. Let the canines race!

2013-08-19 4:50 PM
in reply to: gotab

User image

Champion
the alamo city, Texas
Originally posted by mr2tony

Laughing

Just ban people. Let the canines race!

ban all dogs that bark at bicycles.

2013-08-19 4:57 PM
in reply to: mehaner

User image

Originally posted by Chillin The other warning about wearing headphones during a race is that you'll miss out on a lot of the race excitement. You won't be able to listen to bands, hear people cheering, or talk to other runners.
This is the main reason I like wearing them. I hate talking to other runners. Also, I really don't want to hear some frat boy spectator yelling at me to "put on a shirt fattie*!" But like I said, if they were banned (not discouraged, BANNED, as they are in triathlons, then I would not wear them). *Yes, happened to me.*
LOL, well more the cheering and overall race excitement then socializing with other runners. I don't understand when I run past other racers who are having a conversation. Aren't we racing here? WTF? I've never seen spectators be anything but encouraging (Maybe because us Canadians are all so polite ). I hope he was told off by the other spectators.

no, lots of us aren't racing.  not everyone is out for a podium.  I love making chit chat with other racers, makes my 65 minute 10k go a lot quicker.

I fully plan to talk to lisac during my first marathon, even though i'm allowed headphones.  BOOM.

Well if you are in a race... you Are racing. BOOM.

Has nothing to do with going for a podium, just about doing your best. Not challenging what you are saying I just don't understand it. Isn't that what training runs are for? Why are you in the race if not to do your best?
2013-08-19 4:57 PM
in reply to: happyscientist

User image

New user
Rhode Island
Originally posted by happyscientist

I did a small triathlon this weekend (62 entrants) and was bothered that time penalties weren't being handed out for blatant rule violations. Not only were they letting people ride and run with earbuds, but they were letting people ride into and out of transition. I made sure to get off the bike before the dismount line, but a couple people just rode all the way to the racks. It makes me mad that people are allowed to cheat. It was even worse that it was a small race because there are fewer people between MOP and podium.

I don't have a big sample size, as I've only done four sprints this year, but the most blatant cheating I saw was in my smallest race (around 150 people). There was no one enforcing any rules and I saw 3 riders cut the bike course by around 3/4 of a mile, cutting across a loop course early. It was clearly marked, obviously not accidental. The ride was very spread out, so no need to be on top of anyone, yet they were riding together, pretty much in a pace line, so they were already drafting before they all cut the course. It bothered me but I wasn't going to play hall monitor and try to memorize their numbers. Had I done that, then I would be thinking about THEM the rest of my race instead of focusing on myself. I guess some people need to boost their egos by cheating to move up a place or two in a little local sprint tri. That's really, really pathetic, IMO.
2013-08-19 4:59 PM

User image

Laughing

No way, the people that aren't taking it seriously help everyone else get better overall times. So I encourage talking.
2013-08-19 5:07 PM

User image

Champion
Montague Gold Mines, Nova Scotia

Has nothing to do with going for a podium, just about doing your best. Not challenging what you are saying I just don't understand it. Isn't that what training runs are for? Why are you in the race if not to do your best?

There are many different reasons that people participate in sport and while competition is certainly a driving factor for many, there are others who still enjoy sport but don't really care that much for the competitive side of things. Regardless of those who would tell them otherwise.

Shane

2013-08-19 5:15 PM
in reply to: gsmacleod

User image

NC
Originally posted by gsmacleod

There are many different reasons that people participate in sport and while competition is certainly a driving factor for many, there are others who still enjoy sport but don't really care that much for the competitive side of things. Regardless of those who would tell them otherwise.

Shane

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IMk5sMHj58I

2013-08-19 5:18 PM
in reply to: gsmacleod

User image

Shane

Sport absolutely yes. Paying for a race and choosing to not do your best when you could just run the same course for free while not racing seems strange to me.
2013-08-19 5:23 PM

User image

Champion
Montague Gold Mines, Nova Scotia

Sport absolutely yes. Paying for a race and choosing to not do your best when you could just run the same course for free while not racing seems strange to me.

Emphasis mine.

I agree as I don't enjoy racing unless I am trained and prepared to race as best I can; however that doesn't mean that others feel the same way.

Goose, Herman Edwards I am not

Shane
2013-08-19 6:36 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

Originally posted by Chillin Well if you are in a race... you Are racing. BOOM. Has nothing to do with going for a podium, just about doing your best. Not challenging what you are saying I just don't understand it. Isn't that what training runs are for? Why are you in the race if not to do your best?
There are many different reasons that people participate in sport and while competition is certainly a driving factor for many, there are others who still enjoy sport but don't really care that much for the competitive side of things. Regardless of those who would tell them otherwise. Shane

This may be shocking, but not everyone has the same goals and aspirations. 

Different strokes. No one is right or wrong. 

In my case I've been doing this for 8 or 9 years (?) and in October will be running a marathon for charity. I'm putting in the training, traveling many states away, paid the registration fee and am committed to raising a ton of money for a great organization ------- and yet I have no plans to stress my body any more than I need to in order to finish with a smile on my face. I will stop and walk to help my sister check her blood sugar during the race. I will unnecessarily stop at a porta potty with a friend if she needs to go, or take an extra walk break to stay with her. I will not push my limits. It will not be a PR. I will thoroughly enjoy it and feel good about my efforts. I don't think that's "strange."

Edited by lisac957 2013-08-19 6:42 PM
2013-08-19 6:46 PM

User image

Originally posted by Chillin Well if you are in a race... you Are racing. BOOM. Has nothing to do with going for a podium, just about doing your best. Not challenging what you are saying I just don't understand it. Isn't that what training runs are for? Why are you in the race if not to do your best?
There are many different reasons that people participate in sport and while competition is certainly a driving factor for many, there are others who still enjoy sport but don't really care that much for the competitive side of things. Regardless of those who would tell them otherwise. Shane

In my case I've been doing this for 8 or 9 years (?) and in October will be running a marathon for charity. I'm putting in the training, traveling many states away, paid the registration fee and am committed to raising a ton of money for a great organization ------- and yet I have no plans to stress my body any more than I need to in order to finish with a smile on my face. It will not be a PR. I will thoroughly enjoy it and feel good about my efforts. I don't think that's "strange."

"This may be shocking, but not everyone has the same goals and aspirations." lol no really? Why the sarcasm?

"in October will be running a marathon for charity. I'm putting in the training, traveling many states away, paid the registration fee and am committed to raising a ton of money for a great organization ------- and yet I have no plans to stress my body any more than I need to in order to finish with a smile on my face. It will not be a PR. I will thoroughly enjoy it and feel good about my efforts." If the only reason you are doing it is for charity then that makes sense... Sort of. You still didn't mention why you would choose not to do your best, that is the part I don't understand.

"I don't think that's "strange." " No of course not, but you have to see how many people would see it as such.

EDIT : you edited your post to include that you will not be doing your best so you can support your friends and family (presumably to do their best? Or just to finish their first). That makes sense but I'd wager that most people that don't push themselves to do thier best aren't doing it to support others. But if that's the reason it is of course a good one.

Edited by Chillin 2013-08-19 6:52 PM

2013-08-19 8:24 PM

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

In my case I've been doing this for 8 or 9 years (?) and in October will be running a marathon for charity. I'm putting in the training, traveling many states away, paid the registration fee and am committed to raising a ton of money for a great organization ------- and yet I have no plans to stress my body any more than I need to in order to finish with a smile on my face. It will not be a PR. I will thoroughly enjoy it and feel good about my efforts. I don't think that's "strange."

"This may be shocking, but not everyone has the same goals and aspirations." lol no really? Why the sarcasm? "in October will be running a marathon for charity. I'm putting in the training, traveling many states away, paid the registration fee and am committed to raising a ton of money for a great organization ------- and yet I have no plans to stress my body any more than I need to in order to finish with a smile on my face. It will not be a PR. I will thoroughly enjoy it and feel good about my efforts." If the only reason you are doing it is for charity then that makes sense... Sort of. You still didn't mention why you would choose not to do your best, that is the part I don't understand. "I don't think that's "strange." " No of course not, but you have to see how many people would see it as such. EDIT : you edited your post to include that you will not be doing your best so you can support your friends and family (presumably to do their best? Or just to finish their first). That makes sense but I'd wager that most people that don't push themselves to do thier best aren't doing it to support others. But if that's the reason it is of course a good one.

Can I ask why it matters to you why others race? Or at least, matters enough for you to go back and forth questioning my reasons and others?

2013-08-19 9:27 PM

User image

Wait what...wasn't this thread about cheating?

The recent conversation seems a bit strange.

Edited by Jason N 2013-08-19 9:28 PM
2013-08-19 9:28 PM

User image

Pro

Laughing

No way, the people that aren't taking it seriously help everyone else get better overall times. So I encourage talking.

I know some people who talk during a race who would destroy you...... just saying.  Laughing  

2013-08-19 9:29 PM
in reply to: Jason N

User image

NC
Originally posted by Jason N

DON'T JUDGE ME!

2013-08-19 9:32 PM
in reply to: Goosedog

User image

Originally posted by Goosedog

DON'T JUDGE ME!

You're not supposed to respond to me as if we are talking to each other.  That should be against the rules...thus cheating.  See...now we're back on topic.

2013-08-19 9:40 PM
in reply to: Jason N

User image

NC

Originally posted by Goosedog

DON'T JUDGE ME!

You're not supposed to respond to me as if we are talking to each other.  That should be against the rules...thus cheating.  See...now we're back on topic.

Wait . . . alright you win. I think. Under protest.

2013-08-19 9:57 PM

User image

Expert
Fernandina Beach, FL

"This may be shocking, but not everyone has the same goals and aspirations." lol no really? Why the sarcasm? "in October will be running a marathon for charity. I'm putting in the training, traveling many states away, paid the registration fee and am committed to raising a ton of money for a great organization ------- and yet I have no plans to stress my body any more than I need to in order to finish with a smile on my face. It will not be a PR. I will thoroughly enjoy it and feel good about my efforts." If the only reason you are doing it is for charity then that makes sense... Sort of. You still didn't mention why you would choose not to do your best, that is the part I don't understand. "I don't think that's "strange." " No of course not, but you have to see how many people would see it as such. EDIT : you edited your post to include that you will not be doing your best so you can support your friends and family (presumably to do their best? Or just to finish their first). That makes sense but I'd wager that most people that don't push themselves to do thier best aren't doing it to support others. But if that's the reason it is of course a good one.

Can I ask why it matters to you why others race? Or at least, matters enough for you to go back and forth questioning my reasons and others?

Save yourself the time and slam your head against a wall now to save yourself the headache you're walking in to.

That said, I'm signed up for a marathon for a GREAT cause in Feb I'll be doing for the 3rd year in a row and it's JUST FOR FUN! 100% proceeds go straight to breast cancer research and I could have just donated the money but why not run. I'm taking the run easy in hopes to PR my HIM time in March.

I agree with the consensus. I see a lot of talking and "group" running, in HM and Mary's esp, and while it's not for me I totally understand why people do it. I race my races but also take the time to high five friends and family racing also.
2013-08-19 10:03 PM

User image

NC

Cuz.

Edited by Goosedog 2013-08-19 10:03 PM
2013-08-19 10:11 PM

User image

Curiosity.

We are simply having a discussion here, if you'd rather not share then please don't.

I simply made a comment (to someone else not you) that I didn't understand why people would not give 100% in a race, if people (like you) choose to directly reply to me then of course I'm going to reply. Why wouldn't I?
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Cheaters at local race Rss Feed  

of 4

RELATED POSTS

Funny Race Report, even made the local paper.

Started by Focker
Views: 1912 Posts: 10

2011-01-28 1:57 PM tri808

Local Bike Shops at Race Expos..

Started by tri_sport19
Views: 1225 Posts: 13

2009-09-08 3:19 PM 40isnotold

Wetsuit stolen at local race

Started by runnerx
Views: 1318 Posts: 12

2007-07-10 12:02 PM stupidnickname

DC Locals - Local triathlete to be profiled on NBC4 tonight

Started by BodyCheck
Views: 1257 Posts: 5

2006-05-30 10:44 PM BodyCheck

Ever see a cheater? (venting)

Started by ride_like_u_stole_it
Views: 1158 Posts: 11

2004-11-08 1:31 PM Rowdy
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 28, 2012
author : EnduRight
comments : 0
Iron distance racing depends on the three pillars of pacing, nutrition and mental outlook. Training these three areas can significantly improve your race.

date : May 17, 2010
author : mjfewell
comments : 3
In November of 2000, I noticed that I was losing the feeling in my toes. The sensation traveled up my body and within a week, I was nearly 80% paralyzed.
date : March 5, 2006
author : BobbyMcgee
When we get ready to train or race, we have a pretty fixed set of thoughts. We are unaware of how they affect our racing.

date : June 14, 2005
author : tomp
comments : 1
Tips on swimming, biking and running to race-day lessons from this beginners first five months of training.
date : April 24, 2005
author : mikericci
If you feel your base work is adequate, then here are five areas I would recommend you can work on before your first race.

date : September 4, 2004
author : Daniel Clout
My expectations for the quality of this years’ Triathlon world championship were fulfilled. This was because of the superb location that is like no other along with having the top triathletes present.
date : September 4, 2004
author : Daniel Clout
There is a marvelous destiny out there waiting for you too, but only if you are willing to take chances and put yourself on the line.

date : September 2, 2004
author : Michael
comments : 1
Are you only focusing on racing and training this season?  Volunteeri to help at a triathlon!