General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Honestly, who rides with music? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 5

2013-08-19 10:21 PM
in reply to: Goosedog

User image

Regular
LHOTP
Subject: RE: Honestly, who rides with music?
Originally posted by Goosedog
Originally posted by switch Don't make me PM you a picture of the bird. .. you know I will.
Is this a euphemism?
Well, kinda. It's actually a pic of the double bird. He's earned it before.

2013-08-20 7:53 AM
in reply to: GLC1968

User image

Champion
Alabama
Originally posted by GLC1968

I don't wear headphones when riding or even when running except on a treadmill/trainer. I hate having anything that distracts me in anyway...and not just from cars. I like to be aware of dogs, people, other cyclists, runners, horses, boogeymen, freight trains, tornadoes....whatever.

That said, I did have an occasion a month or two ago where I might have been in big trouble had I been wearing headphones. I was riding on a country road, totally straight (between two big farms growing low crops...so long visibility) and following my husband. I was not drafting, so there was quite a bit of space between us (maybe four or five bike lengths). Cars were coming at us in the other lane. Cars were intermittently passing us in our lane. There was no bike lane and very little shoulder so we were intentionally riding about 3 feet from the right to increase our visibility and ensure that no one tried to 'squeeze' past us. I heard a car approaching from the rear. I could tell, based on sound, approximately how far away they were and I could see a couple of cars approaching in the other lane in front of us. I estimated that they would reach us at about the same time and when I heard that the car behind was accelerating when they should have been slowing down, I took action. I sped up and swerved to the right into a ton of gravel, barely staying upright while the car behind me slammed on the breaks and screeched to a halt. I could hear the screeching as it approached me and I was waiting for the impact and hoping it wouldn't be too bad. She missed hitting me by inches. Had I not been able to tell the difference between acceleration and regular speed, I would not have been alerted to the situation at all because I would have just assumed the car would see us and wait to pass when it was safe, like most do.

Would I have been able to hear all of that with headphones on? Maybe. Would I have been as alert to have noticed all the subtleties of the situation while listening to music? Knowing myself, no.

According to what someone posted previously in this thread, you should have moved to your left and blocked them from passing. However, I would have done what you did.

2013-08-20 8:01 AM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Champion
Alabama
Originally posted by Left Brain

When I ride with my kids and we approach someone with ear phones in my admonition is always the same..... "watch out for stupid".....and I'm not necessarily talking about the person being stupid.....I'm talking about being ready for them to DO something stupid, because they're unaware and clueless.

Now, I know none of you are ever unaware and clueless while you listen to your music or headphones.....so there is no need to flame....I'm obviously not talking to you.

Do you not have a mirror on your bike so you can see what is coming up behind you? I can tell you this, there are some stealth cars out there that I swear you will not hear until they pass you! I ride with a mirror mounted on my handle bars and I can tell you that I am far more aware of what is behind me my iPod and mirror than you are with your ears but no mirror.
2013-08-20 8:38 AM

User image

Champion
Philly 'burbs

Originally posted by switch Don't make me PM you a picture of the bird. .. you know I will.
Is this a euphemism?

If it is I wanna see too.

2013-08-20 8:41 AM
in reply to: Rogillio

User image

Pro
Originally posted by Rogillio

When I ride with my kids and we approach someone with ear phones in my admonition is always the same..... "watch out for stupid".....and I'm not necessarily talking about the person being stupid.....I'm talking about being ready for them to DO something stupid, because they're unaware and clueless.

Now, I know none of you are ever unaware and clueless while you listen to your music or headphones.....so there is no need to flame....I'm obviously not talking to you.

Do you not have a mirror on your bike so you can see what is coming up behind you? I can tell you this, there are some stealth cars out there that I swear you will not hear until they pass you! I ride with a mirror mounted on my handle bars and I can tell you that I am far more aware of what is behind me my iPod and mirror than you are with your ears but no mirror.

I'm not talking in any way about what's behind me.....I agree that's my responsibility....I'm talking about the pea brains in front of us with the music blasting who can't even hear an "on your left".  I'm talking about all manner of people....dog walkers, runners, bird watchers....whoever.  If you are on a multi use path/trail you've got no business having your hearing impaired....it's just stupid.

However, yeah, if you want to listen to music while you ride on the roadway next to people texting and talking on their phones while the drive.....I don't have a problem with it....knock yourself out.

2013-08-20 8:47 AM

User image

Expert
Madison, Wisconsin
what if you have the music turned down low? Or you have only one earbud (right side) in?

2013-08-20 8:50 AM
in reply to: bcagle25

User image

Pro

Originally posted by bcagle25 what if you have the music turned down low? Or you have only one earbud (right side) in?

There must not be anyone smart enough to do that on our favorite trail......I would say that sometimes fully 75% of the boneheads out there can't hear us coming whether we are riding or running.  And no, we're not racing around that trail because there are usually quite a few people on it since it's a great place to view wildlife.....but geez, how the hell do you go out there and put on headphones to the point of being completely clueless?

2013-08-20 9:39 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
West Michigan

Originally posted by bcagle25 what if you have the music turned down low? Or you have only one earbud (right side) in?

There must not be anyone smart enough to do that on our favorite trail......I would say that sometimes fully 75% of the boneheads out there can't hear us coming whether we are riding or running.  And no, we're not racing around that trail because there are usually quite a few people on it since it's a great place to view wildlife.....but geez, how the hell do you go out there and put on headphones to the point of being completely clueless?

Your MUP must be more of a park then true MUP because 75% seems high....

The trail I ride has a lot more problems with young kids riding with training wheels zig zagging on the trail, couples walking smack in the middle of the trail and people with dogs on a 20' leash than headphone wearers...

I'd say 75% of headphone wearers who day dream all over the trail would probably ride just as crazily without headphones... Meaning it's more of their misunderstanding of how to use the trail than loud music....

2013-08-20 9:42 AM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2013-08-20 9:44 AM
in reply to: Teejaay

NC
Originally posted by Teejaay

Just curious how those that feel its imparetive to be able to hear what's going on around you while training and racing would have to say to them.

DQ.

2013-08-20 9:51 AM
in reply to: 0

Champion
Alabama

Originally posted by Teejaay

Just curious how those that feel its imparetive to be able to hear what's going on around you while training and racing would have to say to them.

DQ.

That is pretty cold to DQ a deaf person becasue they did not hear you. I figure cycling is like snow-skiing....the downhill person always has the right of way. It is your responsibility to pass them safely.....which means you need to allow for a sudden turn to the left.

Edited by Rogillio 2013-08-20 10:12 AM

2013-08-20 10:01 AM

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

Originally posted by Teejaay Just curious how those that feel its imparetive to be able to hear what's going on around you while training and racing would have to say to them.
DQ.

?

2013-08-20 10:02 AM

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by Teejaay I've been reading this thread and it seems some dont like it when people ride with music because they cant hear whats going on around them. I've ridden with and without music and I've also ridden with people who are completely deaf. They can't hear anything. I have 2 deaf friends, both born deaf, that do triathlon, duathlon and marathons ...one even took 3rd overall at last years duathlon nationals. They ride in groups. They run on multi use paths. They are on the same course racing right alongside people that can hear. Just curious how those that feel its imparetive to be able to hear what's going on around you while training and racing would have to say to them.

The importance is in being aware of what's going on around you. Hearing is only part of that. Deaf people don't depend on hearing so will compensate with other senses so will still be very aware of what's going on around them. It's not imperative to hear in the sense of having perfectly functioning ears, but to know what's going on around you. Anything that pulls your attention away from this awareness is a distraction to some degree. The amount of distraction is what this discussion is all about.

2013-08-20 10:07 AM

Champion
the alamo city, Texas

Originally posted by Teejaay I've been reading this thread and it seems some dont like it when people ride with music because they cant hear whats going on around them. I've ridden with and without music and I've also ridden with people who are completely deaf. They can't hear anything. I have 2 deaf friends, both born deaf, that do triathlon, duathlon and marathons ...one even took 3rd overall at last years duathlon nationals. They ride in groups. They run on multi use paths. They are on the same course racing right alongside people that can hear. Just curious how those that feel its imparetive to be able to hear what's going on around you while training and racing would have to say to them.

guess it doesn't matter what we'd say to them cause they can't hear us anyway!

2013-08-20 10:27 AM
in reply to: TriMike

Pro
Originally posted by TriMike

The trail I ride has a lot more problems with young kids riding with training wheels zig zagging on the trail, couples walking smack in the middle of the trail and people with dogs on a 20' leash than headphone wearers...

I'd say 75% of headphone wearers who day dream all over the trail would probably ride just as crazily without headphones... Meaning it's more of their misunderstanding of how to use the trail than loud music....

No, it's an 8 mile loop in the Mississippi river bottoms....not a park.  Every single person on that trail who is alone is wearing headphones.....and I'm sure it's actually not 100%....but it's not much of an exaggeration....it's mind boggling.  It's one of the best trails I've ever been on....in the evenings it's nothing to see 50-100 deer, and eagles, and waterfowl of every kind...just a great place to ride or run....and full of dumbarses.

2013-08-20 11:18 AM

Extreme Veteran
West Michigan

No, it's an 8 mile loop in the Mississippi river bottoms....not a park.  Every single person on that trail who is alone is wearing headphones.....and I'm sure it's actually not 100%....but it's not much of an exaggeration....it's mind boggling.  It's one of the best trails I've ever been on....in the evenings it's nothing to see 50-100 deer, and eagles, and waterfowl of every kind...just a great place to ride or run....and full of dumbarses.

This is kind of my point.  An 8 mile loop compared to where I live is a sneeze....Meaning I have hundreds and hundreds of paved miles (former rail road lines) with trailhead access within 5-10 miles from my house.  So an 8-mile loop sounds like it would be congested and to your point, full of clueless riders..... Some of which listen to music...

2013-08-20 11:25 AM
in reply to: TriMike

Pro

This is kind of my point.  An 8 mile loop compared to where I live is a sneeze....Meaning I have hundreds and hundreds of paved miles (former rail road lines) with trailhead access within 5-10 miles from my house.  So an 8-mile loop sounds like it would be congested and to your point, full of clueless riders..... Some of which listen to music...

We've got the same thing here, Mike....and this loop is part of over 100 miles...but it's very popular.  I don't mind when it's crowded, like I said, we don't ride that loop to go fast....we frequently have to slow to a crawl on the bike because of little kids, etc....no problem.  But the people with headphones are a problem.....no question about it.  It's probably good that it's crowded because the speeds are way down....I can't count the number of times we've had to crash the brakes because someone had no idea we were behind them no matter how loud we "on your lefted".  I think it's less safe to wear headphones......I don't know how you make a counter argument.  Anything that detracts from concentration is less safe by nature.

2013-08-20 11:45 AM

Extreme Veteran
West Michigan

We've got the same thing here, Mike....and this loop is part of over 100 miles...but it's very popular.  I don't mind when it's crowded, like I said, we don't ride that loop to go fast....we frequently have to slow to a crawl on the bike because of little kids, etc....no problem.  But the people with headphones are a problem.....no question about it.  It's probably good that it's crowded because the speeds are way down....I can't count the number of times we've had to crash the brakes because someone had no idea we were behind them no matter how loud we "on your lefted".  I think it's less safe to wear headphones......I don't know how you make a counter argument.  Anything that detracts from concentration is less safe by nature.

Not so much a counter-point as a clarification on the debate.  And I'm totally fine agreeing to disagree which is where we're at.

1 - Some have said it's unsafe on the road wearing headphones because a person can't hear a vehicle in time to avoid being hit if the driver is distracted and heading towards them.  Lots of disagreement on that, my position is I hear road noise just fine wearing ear buds.  Additionally I do not believe it's realistic to think I could tell the difference between a car passing by normally and one about to hit me AND in the case of the latter, that I'd know to swerve...

2 - Others including you several times have said that MUP's have 75% or more of "stupid" riders wearing ear buds that will ride erratically based on their lack of concentration due to music.  Based on your 8-mile congested loop example, I agree that people who don't know how to properly ride a trail AND get lost in their music are dangerous.  I still maintain those riders probably are more affected by lack of knowledge on MUP riding than just the music alone...

The only point I'm trying to make is I as well as many other posters have said we hear enough even with music playing to not add a level of danger to our riding (on the road with cars) NOR pull in front of someone who's yelling "on your left" because we'd hear the shouts AND most likely look back before going around someone...

2013-08-20 1:44 PM
in reply to: Rogillio

Master
PNW
Originally posted by Rogillio

Originally posted by GLC1968

I don't wear headphones when riding or even when running except on a treadmill/trainer. I hate having anything that distracts me in anyway...and not just from cars. I like to be aware of dogs, people, other cyclists, runners, horses, boogeymen, freight trains, tornadoes....whatever.

That said, I did have an occasion a month or two ago where I might have been in big trouble had I been wearing headphones. I was riding on a country road, totally straight (between two big farms growing low crops...so long visibility) and following my husband. I was not drafting, so there was quite a bit of space between us (maybe four or five bike lengths). Cars were coming at us in the other lane. Cars were intermittently passing us in our lane. There was no bike lane and very little shoulder so we were intentionally riding about 3 feet from the right to increase our visibility and ensure that no one tried to 'squeeze' past us. I heard a car approaching from the rear. I could tell, based on sound, approximately how far away they were and I could see a couple of cars approaching in the other lane in front of us. I estimated that they would reach us at about the same time and when I heard that the car behind was accelerating when they should have been slowing down, I took action. I sped up and swerved to the right into a ton of gravel, barely staying upright while the car behind me slammed on the breaks and screeched to a halt. I could hear the screeching as it approached me and I was waiting for the impact and hoping it wouldn't be too bad. She missed hitting me by inches. Had I not been able to tell the difference between acceleration and regular speed, I would not have been alerted to the situation at all because I would have just assumed the car would see us and wait to pass when it was safe, like most do.

Would I have been able to hear all of that with headphones on? Maybe. Would I have been as alert to have noticed all the subtleties of the situation while listening to music? Knowing myself, no.

According to what someone posted previously in this thread, you should have moved to your left and blocked them from passing. However, I would have done what you did.

I think you either misread my post or misunderstood the point of the graphic posted earlier.

As we were riding, I DID take the lane because I knew the situation was precarious in that there was no shoulder and I didn't want cars to try and 'squeeze' by us. When I pulled to the right at the last minute it was because there was rapid acceleration and then tire screeching on my tail.

No one was suggesting that it is safer to pull out in front of a car screeching to a halt!
2013-08-20 2:58 PM

, Kronobergs lan
To answer the original question, no I don't ride with music, I wish I could but it's too risky and the headphones don't fit under my helmet (cant't stand earbuds). I never run without music however.
2013-08-20 2:58 PM

, Kronobergs lan
To answer the original question, no I don't ride with music, I wish I could but it's too risky and the headphones don't fit under my helmet (cant't stand earbuds). I never run without music however.

2013-08-20 9:43 PM
in reply to: Rollergirl

Bronze member

This thread just gave me an idea. I have never ridden with earbuds in when I'm on the open road but my daughter has this:

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Radio-Flyer-Groove-Glider-Pink/21188116

Maybe I'll steal it for my ride tomorrow .

2013-08-21 7:40 AM
in reply to: trigal38

Extreme Veteran
, Guam
trigal38--
Nice find girl!!
Does it come in stealth matt black for us guys?
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Honestly, who rides with music? Rss Feed  

of 5

RELATED POSTS

To music or not to music, that is the question. Pages: 1 2

Started by ZenMaster
Views: 2290 Posts: 41

2012-05-01 8:29 PM jaelinfunk

Riding with Music

Started by stchase34
Views: 681 Posts: 3

2009-04-02 8:41 PM JustinK

Training with music vs. no music.

Started by LcTarallo
Views: 877 Posts: 15

2006-07-26 7:32 AM sappho96

Music and training

Started by soupaman
Views: 1262 Posts: 8

2004-02-16 11:00 PM speedlee

Music to Run By

Started by Nancytris
Views: 1144 Posts: 11

2004-01-27 10:12 AM chrisd9
RELATED ARTICLES
date : April 14, 2011
author : Troy Jacobson
comments : 0
What is the difference between a recovery ride and junk miles?

date : January 27, 2011
author : Mark Sunderland
The no-excuses guide to riding outdoors in snow, wind, ice and darkness. Bring it on!
date : December 15, 2008
author : FitWerx
I own both a road bike and a tri bike. I am wondering which bike I should be riding during off season training, or does it matter?

date : July 8, 2008
author : Writebrained
comments : 10
Riding Zen means nothing more than being keenly aware of your surroundings and in control of your emotional state at all times. It also means riding safe and riding smart.
date : February 7, 2008
author : Tri Swim Coach
comments : 4
Is it good to listen to music while lap swimming? Are there any devices to help you keep track of your laps?

date : November 6, 2006
author : Terese Luikens
Over this next month I will be learning more about my bike each time I take it out to ride. I want to take full advantage of what it has to offer.
date : June 5, 2006
author : Ontherun
A few months back I wrote an article about buying your next bike. Well now I have done it and wish to share my experience and choice with you.

date : January 1, 2006
author : AMSSM
I read an article that this type of pain comes from straining the neck, especially from riding a road bike. What can you tell me about this type of injury?