General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Honestly, who rides with music? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 5

2013-08-19 12:51 PM
in reply to: CBess

User image

Veteran
Queen Creek, AZ
Subject: RE: Honestly, who rides with music?
I ride with them at a low volume.

I've been t-boned by a car while I didn't have them in for some reason that day. I heard her (well, not really...I didn't hear anything different) and even friggin SAW her coming at me, yet in no manner whatsoever did me not having earbuds in defer her from smacking and throwing me around like a rag doll.

If you're going to get hit from behind and to your left, whether you have headphones on (left and/or right side), will make zero difference.

Since I got hit by a car without headphones in, I guess I should be a huge proponent of riding with headphones. (joke)

2013-08-19 12:54 PM
in reply to: mehaner

User image

Extreme Veteran
Urbana, MD
I don't ride with earphones.

At a race last year, I was passing a slower rider who had earphones in. Despite my warnings about passing, he moved from the inside (right) to the outside (left) of the shoulder (the shoulder was a full lane wide) as I was passing him and pushed me out into the travel lane in front of a car. Fortunately there was enough space for all of us to avoid an accident, but his spacial awareness was compromised and almost caused an accident. I have also passed people with headphones and had similar experiences with them not heeding my warnings.

It's like talking on a cell phone and driving. The reason you don't notice it's making a difference is because you're noticing less than normal. If you choose to do it, I don't care THAT much, just don't put anyone else in danger.

John
2013-08-19 1:05 PM
in reply to: guitarfrk75

User image

Champion
Alabama
So the readers here probably have a combined million miles of road time on a bike and since it seems a great number of us do ride with music, has anyone ever had an accident that was attributable to listening to music? If it is 'extremely' dangerous and yet so many people do it, there must be lots of people with stories about how they had a accident while listening to "Take it Easy".
2013-08-19 1:22 PM
in reply to: Rogillio

User image

Expert
San Luis Obispo, CA
Originally posted by Rogillio

So the readers here probably have a combined million miles of road time on a bike and since it seems a great number of us do ride with music, has anyone ever had an accident that was attributable to listening to music? If it is 'extremely' dangerous and yet so many people do it, there must be lots of people with stories about how they had a accident while listening to "Take it Easy".

I used to ride, run, and swim to music; I thought it would make my training more enjoyable. It kind of did, but I learned after awhile that it actually distracted *ME* from focusing on my workout.
Last year I was in a bad accident with a car (I was cut off rounding a corner). I was not listening to music. Would it have mattered? No, not in the least.
2013-08-19 1:33 PM

User image

Expert
I know I will catch crap for this - but on certain rides, I listen to music as well. If I'm on a road with little traffic, I use the speakers on my iphone which allow me to hear oncoming traffic. . My only suggestion would be to not use the headphones as they would block out noise.

Just my 2 cents,
DQ
2013-08-19 3:05 PM
in reply to: Qua17

User image

Veteran
St. Louis
I have great low-traffic farm roads in my area. If I'm alone on a ride, I use one ear bud. I LOVE music, and it makes me enjoy my workout more. I didn't have Pandora for my last Ironman 4 years ago... I can't wait to use it on upcoming distance rides

2013-08-19 3:06 PM
in reply to: Qua17

User image

Master
PNW
I don't wear headphones when riding or even when running except on a treadmill/trainer. I hate having anything that distracts me in anyway...and not just from cars. I like to be aware of dogs, people, other cyclists, runners, horses, boogeymen, freight trains, tornadoes....whatever.

That said, I did have an occasion a month or two ago where I might have been in big trouble had I been wearing headphones. I was riding on a country road, totally straight (between two big farms growing low crops...so long visibility) and following my husband. I was not drafting, so there was quite a bit of space between us (maybe four or five bike lengths). Cars were coming at us in the other lane. Cars were intermittently passing us in our lane. There was no bike lane and very little shoulder so we were intentionally riding about 3 feet from the right to increase our visibility and ensure that no one tried to 'squeeze' past us. I heard a car approaching from the rear. I could tell, based on sound, approximately how far away they were and I could see a couple of cars approaching in the other lane in front of us. I estimated that they would reach us at about the same time and when I heard that the car behind was accelerating when they should have been slowing down, I took action. I sped up and swerved to the right into a ton of gravel, barely staying upright while the car behind me slammed on the breaks and screeched to a halt. I could hear the screeching as it approached me and I was waiting for the impact and hoping it wouldn't be too bad. She missed hitting me by inches. Had I not been able to tell the difference between acceleration and regular speed, I would not have been alerted to the situation at all because I would have just assumed the car would see us and wait to pass when it was safe, like most do.

Would I have been able to hear all of that with headphones on? Maybe. Would I have been as alert to have noticed all the subtleties of the situation while listening to music? Knowing myself, no.
2013-08-19 3:27 PM

User image

Pro
Vancouver, BC
Honestly. I do sometimes. 
2013-08-19 3:37 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

When I’m riding, I find my own thoughts more distracting than the low volume music through my headphones.  Here are my top 5 mental distracters:

5. I wonder when my wife sill start speaking to me this time.

4. Wow, that possum/cat/raccoon sure has decomposed a lot since the last time I rode here.

3. I really don’t want to have to mow when I get home.

2. My butt hurts.

1. I can’t wait to see what new topics have been posted on BT!

Edited by dbrook1 2013-08-19 3:37 PM
2013-08-19 3:40 PM
in reply to: jeng

User image

NC
Originally posted by jeng

Honestly. I do sometimes. 

This sounds very suspicious.

2013-08-19 4:25 PM

User image

Veteran
Tucson
Wow, this thread sure took off. I'll throw in my 2 cents. When I first started riding a little over a year ago I used to listen to music. I LOVE to blast my music when I run. Never really felt safe doing that on the bike though. Eventually I stopped listening to music completely while riding. I feel that riding on the road is dangerous enough on it's own without adding in any distractions. That being said I don't know that I would be able to hear a car coming up behind me about to hit even without music. That is what scares me the most on the bike. The not knowing 100% of the time what is going on behind me. The few close calls that I have had would not have been effected with or without music. My close calls involved cars turning out in front of me when I was making a left turn.

2013-08-19 5:21 PM
in reply to: desertchica

User image

Expert
Boise, ID

Yup, I listen to music. Yep, I can still hear the cars coming at me. 

If I thought I could get away from a car coming at me "suspiciously" I would buy a helmet mounted mirror and keep a look out. 

Sorry but only in a very rare occasion would you be able to avoid a collision based on sound alone. The car that misses by 1 foot sounds the same as the car that hits you. 

2013-08-19 5:42 PM
in reply to: Aarondb4

User image

Regular
LHOTP

A good solution is to use a small wireless speaker.  You can stream the music from your phone (I don't find phone speakers to be loud enough) and you can pop the wireless speaker in the back pocket of a bike jersey.

That being said, when I ride with one ear bud in (shoulder side), I can still hear traffic coming behind me.  It seems to me like I hear the traffic coming just as well, with or without the single ear bud.  When I hear a car, I try to turn my head and make a visual contact, though that's not always practical.  I don't know if it helps or not, but the control freak in me wants to see that car. In my quite-possibly-delusional mind, I think I might be able to swerve last minute into the ditch if I heard a too-close car. 

Last year I was actually able to run/jump up on the hood of a car to avoid getting seriously hurt, and I think that might give me false hope in the biking department.

I also have always thought that if an elevator failed I might be able to time a jump at the last second to avoid falling to my death. There's a window for you;)

2013-08-19 9:41 PM

User image

Pro

I ride with music... or I listen to podcasts.  Mostly news and such.  I've got Fareed Zakaria's GPS podcast queued up for tomorrow morning's ride.

Can you hear that a car is about to hit you... vs being 5 feet to your left?  Not sure that I can.

2013-08-19 9:44 PM
in reply to: morey000

User image

NC
Originally posted by morey000

Can you hear that a car is about to hit you... vs being 5 feet to your left?  

I can hear a car that's behind me ... vs. not a car behind me, depending on my speed. Have a great ride.

2013-08-19 9:45 PM
in reply to: morey000

User image

Pro

When I ride with my kids and we approach someone with ear phones in my admonition is always the same..... "watch out for stupid".....and I'm not necessarily talking about the person being stupid.....I'm talking about being ready for them to DO something stupid, because they're unaware and clueless.

Now, I know none of you are ever unaware and clueless while you listen to your music or headphones.....so there is no need to flame....I'm obviously not talking to you.

2013-08-19 9:48 PM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Regular
LHOTP
Originally posted by Left Brain

When I ride with my kids and we approach someone with ear phones in my admonition is always the same..... "watch out for stupid".....and I'm not necessarily talking about the person being stupid.....I'm talking about being ready for them to DO something stupid, because they're unaware and clueless.

Now, I know none of you are ever unaware and clueless while you listen to your music or headphones.....so there is no need to flame....I'm obviously not talking to you.

suck it LB :)
2013-08-19 9:49 PM
in reply to: switch

User image

Pro
Originally posted by switch

suck it LB

Laughing  You know you're stupid. LMAO

2013-08-19 9:50 PM

User image

NC

I'm pretty sure the DO something stupid people don't have internet connection.

2013-08-19 9:52 PM
in reply to: Goosedog

User image

Pro
Originally posted by Goosedog

You know what.....I don't know about that but, in fairness, it's always someone walking their dog or carrying a camera to take pictures of birds.  I hate bird watchers......bird watchers got no reason to live.

2013-08-19 9:54 PM

User image

Regular
LHOTP

Yup, that's me--dumb as a box of rocks and lovin those tunes. Double suck it.

2013-08-19 9:55 PM

User image

Pro

suck it LB

Bird watcher. Tongue out

2013-08-19 9:56 PM

User image

Regular
LHOTP
Originally posted by Goosedog

You know what.....I don't know about that but, in fairness, it's always someone walking their dog or carrying a camera to take pictures of birds.  I hate bird watchers......bird watchers got no reason to live.

Yeah, especially duck hunters. Punks.
2013-08-19 9:57 PM

User image

Regular
LHOTP

Bird watcher. Tongue out

Don't make me PM you a picture of the bird. .. you know I will.
2013-08-19 10:07 PM

User image

NC

Don't make me PM you a picture of the bird. .. you know I will.

Is this a euphemism?

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Honestly, who rides with music? Rss Feed  

of 5

RELATED POSTS

To music or not to music, that is the question. Pages: 1 2

Started by ZenMaster
Views: 2290 Posts: 41

2012-05-01 8:29 PM jaelinfunk

Riding with Music

Started by stchase34
Views: 681 Posts: 3

2009-04-02 8:41 PM JustinK

Training with music vs. no music.

Started by LcTarallo
Views: 876 Posts: 15

2006-07-26 7:32 AM sappho96

Music and training

Started by soupaman
Views: 1262 Posts: 8

2004-02-16 11:00 PM speedlee

Music to Run By

Started by Nancytris
Views: 1144 Posts: 11

2004-01-27 10:12 AM chrisd9
RELATED ARTICLES
date : April 14, 2011
author : Troy Jacobson
comments : 0
What is the difference between a recovery ride and junk miles?

date : January 27, 2011
author : Mark Sunderland
The no-excuses guide to riding outdoors in snow, wind, ice and darkness. Bring it on!
date : December 15, 2008
author : FitWerx
I own both a road bike and a tri bike. I am wondering which bike I should be riding during off season training, or does it matter?

date : July 8, 2008
author : Writebrained
comments : 10
Riding Zen means nothing more than being keenly aware of your surroundings and in control of your emotional state at all times. It also means riding safe and riding smart.
date : February 7, 2008
author : Tri Swim Coach
comments : 4
Is it good to listen to music while lap swimming? Are there any devices to help you keep track of your laps?

date : November 6, 2006
author : Terese Luikens
Over this next month I will be learning more about my bike each time I take it out to ride. I want to take full advantage of what it has to offer.
date : June 5, 2006
author : Ontherun
A few months back I wrote an article about buying your next bike. Well now I have done it and wish to share my experience and choice with you.

date : January 1, 2006
author : AMSSM
I read an article that this type of pain comes from straining the neck, especially from riding a road bike. What can you tell me about this type of injury?