XTERRA
75F / 24C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 17m 57s
Overall Rank = 16/71
Age Group = M25-29
Age Group Rank = 3/4
Pre-race routine:

This race takes place in and around a wild animal park in central Illinois that also has lodging. Last year my family and I stayed in the park and we did it again this year. It's a great experience and keeps us close to the race. Somewhat limits what I can eat, so I have to bring everything I want to eat pre-race.

Got up and ate my English muffin with honey. Drank some coffee and walked around a bit. Hung out with my family and then headed over to the race. Double checked that I had everything I needed for the race.
Event warmup:

Made sure transition was set up ok. Rode my bike for abut 15 minutes then ran for about the same amount. I was getting ready to get a swim warm-up in and ended up not having time. Got the wet-suit on and hopped in the water.
Swim
  • 16m 50s
  • 900 yards
  • 01m 52s / 100 yards
Comments:

After I saw my time for the swim, it didn't matter how well I did in the other events. This was a HUGE success for me. I haven't been able to get the hang of OWS and this was the first race swim I've had that was close to showing what I know I can do. I know I can do much better, but this is a HUGE step. For some reference, last year, I did this swim in 25:52. That's a 9 minute improvement. I did 1/2 mile swim in a race at the end of June in 18:50. That means I did 2 minutes better this time. I am very pleased with how this swim went.
What would you do differently?:

More diligent about sighting. I think I could have shaved nearly another minute off of this time with better sighting.
Transition 1
  • 01m 25s
Comments:

I felt good about this transition. I got just about everything done quickly without troubles.

Maybe look at having the shoes ready to go on the bike.
Bike
  • 1h 30m 29s
  • 15 miles
  • 9.94 mile/hr
Comments:

I wasn't so pleased with the bike this time. Last year I went 1 minute slower on much worse fitness. Perhaps I've learned more about pacing. I think I need a lot more work on the bike. This winter will be a bike trainer winter! I think this is one of the areas I have the most room for improvement.

I wasn't that big a fan of this course. It is very tight and twisty. I had a very hard time finding a rhythm and keeping it. The downhills and fast sections were shortened by sharp turns and extremely rocky sections. These aren't usually a bad thing, but for some reason, it felt excessive on this course.

More biking.
Transition 2
  • 00m 54s
Comments:

Tough time sliding into the running shoes. However, the time spent getting them on was saved during the run. I wore my faster trail shoes and this helped.
Run
  • 28m 17s
  • 4 miles
  • 07m 07s  min/mile
Comments:

I did well on this run. My goal was to focus on a quick turnover for the first mile or so, then a nice smooth stride to the big hill at the end, which I wanted to run up (no walking), and finish hard. I did exactly that. I had planned to not drink anything on the run to save a few seconds, so I hydrated well on the bike. I think this plan worked well, although if it were any hotter or the run any longer, I would have stopped for a drink. I passed a LOT of people here. Improved on last year's time by 4 minutes. All to being properly prepared.

Push harder longer. Focus on turnover through the whole run. I'm a good enough runner to gut it out longer and I will have to next year.
Post race
Warm down:

Crossed the line and sat down on the grass for a bit. Drank a bottle of water. Then a bottle of Gatorade. Then another bottle of Gatorade. Then another bottle of Gatorade. Then ate a veggie burger with fruit salad with some water. Then went back to the cabin and had a sandwich a bottle of water some fruit, pretzels, and chips. I was hungry.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Not being a strong biker. I'll focus on this more.

Event comments:

Overall my performance was MUCH improved. However, I was disappointed to not be top 2 in my age group. I compared this year's times to last year's times (overall participant times) and this year's top 10 were MUCH faster than last year. There were a lot of talented people at the race this year. Last place in my AG was 22nd overall. Fast crowd this year.

While this isn't my favorite XTERRA course, the race is organized, offers a lot, and lets me spend time with my family. I will probably do this again next year.

Last updated: 2013-06-16 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:16:50 | 900 yards | 01m 52s / 100yards
Age Group: 3/4
Overall: 29/71
Performance: Good
Suit: Xterra 4 Sleeveless
Course: Imagine a giant capital L. That's what it was.
Start type: Deep Water Plus:
Water temp: 77F / 25C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:25
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
01:30:29 | 15 miles | 9.94 mile/hr
Age Group: 4/4
Overall: 29/71
Performance: Average
Wind: Little
Course: Very tight and twisty. Not a very flowy course. Many short steep hills.
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 00:54
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:28:17 | 04 miles | 07m 07s  min/mile
Age Group: 2/4
Overall: 9/71
Performance: Good
Course: Run through the animal park. Not very technical. Small hills throughout and a big one at the end.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2013-08-19 7:30 AM

User image

Veteran
Waukegan, IL
Subject: XTERRA Illinois Wilds

2013-08-20 12:24 PM
in reply to: #4832647

User image

Expert
Illinois
Subject: RE: XTERRA Illinois Wilds
Great job! I was the biker on a relay team. Definitely a more competitive field this year.
2013-08-21 4:12 PM
in reply to: abake

User image

Veteran
Waukegan, IL
Subject: RE: XTERRA Illinois Wilds
Thanks!

I was surprised at the level of competition this year. Even after two REALLY good competitors dropped out due to mechanical issues on the bike course!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » XTERRA Illinois Wilds Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

XTERRA Deuces Wild

Started by PirateGirl
Views: 2426 Posts: 9

2008-06-18 7:43 AM Doughboy

Deuces Wild Xterra Off-Road Triathlon

Started by danswimbikerun
Views: 1246 Posts: 4

2007-06-14 3:16 PM maureen

Deuces Wild Triathlon Festival - Xterra Off-Road T

Started by chile7473
Views: 1912 Posts: 22

2007-06-12 10:58 PM desertsix

Deuces Wild Triathlon Festival - Xterra Off-Road Triathlon

Started by desertsix
Views: 1460 Posts: 4

2006-06-06 4:41 PM PirateGirl

Deuces Wild XTERRA Tri

Started by PirateGirl
Views: 1603 Posts: 10

2005-05-30 4:55 PM lynda
RELATED ARTICLES
date : November 20, 2007
author : Lorenzomtb
comments : 1
Immediately I felt attracted by the challenge. I have done plenty of biking this summer and a new motivation, particularly toward the end of the summer, was what I needed.

date : September 3, 2006
author : morgoth7
My 1st triathlon, Xterra and the mess I made of myself. This wasn’t your regular triathlon, it was off-road.
date : January 29, 2006
author : seveerneb
comments : 44
How to consistently come in last place and enjoy it. By a real expert.

date : June 14, 2005
author : PirateGirl
The XTERRA off-road triathlons consist of a lake swim, a mountain bike trail ride, and a trail run. I decided to try the AZ Xtreme Desert XTERRA Tri as my 1st off-road triathlon, and my 3rd tri ever.
date : September 1, 2004
author : TriSports.com
comments : 0
Wetsuit guide for triathletes - manufacturers, sizing and maintenance.