General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Bad ideas Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2013-08-19 9:20 PM
in reply to: #4832650

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: RE: Bad ideas
Drinking a full Growler of IPA, eating a crap ton of chips and salsa, and finishing the evening (at 4am) with a shot of absynthe. Then trying to run a 5K at 8am. Doubled over in horrible pain at 1 mile.

I was so embarrassed to DNF a 5k that I took the long way to my car and skulked off.

2013-08-20 1:25 AM
in reply to: Shop Cat

User image

Originally posted by Shop Cat

Drinking a full Growler of IPA, eating a crap ton of chips and salsa, and finishing the evening (at 4am) with a shot of absynthe. Then trying to run a 5K at 8am. Doubled over in horrible pain at 1 mile.

I was so embarrassed to DNF a 5k that I took the long way to my car and skulked off.

Work hard play hard that's what I say.

can't say I've been in your shoes. well yes I have Just save it for after the race
2013-08-20 9:10 AM
in reply to: Shop Cat

User image

Pro

I did something similar the night before a 5k. My IT band had been acting up, and it was a charity race, so I figured I'd just jog it.

Ended up feeling great on race morning, despite the IT band and the bad food/drink. Pushed hard until the 3 mile mark, then had to walk it in for the last 0.1 miles so I didn't puke in front of the families. Oops.
2013-08-20 9:57 AM
in reply to: La Tortuga

User image

Veteran
Central France
I made the huge mistake of not training in the heat for a recent sprint triathlon justifying to myself that because it was up in the mountains it would be cooler.

I neglected the fact that it was an afternoon race meaning that the heat would be at a max. It ended up being in the mid 90s that afternoon, not a cloud in the sky and hardly any shade on the course. Needless to say, I suffered horribly on the run. It didn't help either that I made 2 other really stupid mistakes that day:
Dumb move #2 - I took only one bottle on the bike, and it was sports drink.
Dumb move #3 - I didn't stop at the water station during the first loop of the run.

In the end, it took me 37+ minutes to do the 5.2km run (granted it was really hilly but I should have been able to finish it in about 32 minutes). To make matters worse, I almost fainted about 500 meters from the finish line (at least I didn't puke like some of the other runners). And I ended up with a severe mouth allergy caused by really dry mouth and too much sugar!
2013-08-20 10:29 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Regular
Wisconsin

You sound like the perfect entrant for the Beer Belly 2-miler in Green Bay, WIS, where they served beer ON THE RUN COURSE. (Unfortunately, the PC crowd shut it down last year)

http://gbit.com/beerbelly/

Edited by Swimbikeron 2013-08-20 10:29 AM
2013-08-20 12:02 PM
in reply to: mr2tony

Plano, TX
I'm guessing the bigger difference is what the race organizers are prepared for. To be running out of cups and drinks sounds like a real problem that at least in my one IM I didn't experience anything like that. Plus, at least the run for IMs starts later in the day when it's already at it's hottest....only gets cooler as the day drags on.

Bad idea - first ever tri trying to do a running bike mount (which I HAD practiced a lot before hand), but the beginning part of the bike course was uphill (and I was a much weaker biker than I realized) and I never could get enough momentum to stop pedaling and get my shoes on. Eventually I had to pull over to the side, unclip my shoes, put them on, and get on the bike to finish the hill. I have never recovered mentally....still won't try it again in a race!

2013-08-20 1:15 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Expert
New York

DP.

Edited by swishyskirt 2013-08-20 1:16 PM
2013-08-20 1:15 PM
in reply to: jte463

User image

Expert
New York

First Half-Ironman -- got out of the freezing cold water on a day of predicted rain and overcast, raced to transition and thought, "Well, it looks cloudy. Probably don't need to bother with sunblock today." Clouds COMPLETELY burned off within 15 minutes of the 56 mile ride with zero shade.

The only protected skin was whatever was covered by clothing -- and the ink used to body mark me.

Sooooo...massive burn for me, and I had the number "128" tattooed on my left arm for about half a year. (You can make out the 2 and the 8 in this pic):

(128.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
128.jpg (20KB - 18 downloads)
2013-08-20 1:27 PM
in reply to: swishyskirt

User image

But what a wonderful photo!!!

Patti
2013-08-20 2:57 PM
in reply to: pugpenny

User image

New user
First 70.3 last year. I had been having back pain on and off, so I brought an emergency cocktail of ibuprofen and 303s (natural muscle relaxers). My back/legs really started hurting at mile 45-50 on the bike so I popped them at transition. Let's just say after 4 hours of swimming and biking I didn't have enough nutrition in my tummy and the ibus just started ripping up my stomach, which made me instantly nauseous about half a mile in. Oddly enough, what hurt on the bike felt FINE as soon as I got out of transition (before anything kicked in). Bad stomach = no nutrition, and no nutrition = BONK at mile 6, and I felt sick for 2 days.

Later, I've found that 303s are fine for me during races, just no ibus. Not even after until I've had a massive meal.
2013-08-20 4:56 PM
in reply to: mr2tony

User image

Champion
Southern Chicago Suburbs, IL

Originally posted by mr2tony
Originally posted by Patrick E
Originally posted by mr2tony Running my first-ever marathon, on a whim, after having my longest run ever being 13.1 miles. It was this: http://www.nytimes.com/2007/10/08/us/08chicago.html?pagewanted=all
You picked a great debut marathon! Funny how high 80s / low 90s causes all kinds of problems for marathons but no one seems concerned about full IMs in the same conditions. I did IM Zurich this year with temps in the low 90s and a couple people were joking that if it were a marathon it would be cancelled. I guess if you're crazy enough to do an IM you deserve whatever you get weather-wise!
Funny you mention that. I would contend it's because BOPers doing ironmans are in better shape, or at least more hardy (or crazy, if you prefer), than BOPers in marathons. Just my own personal observation. Anyway during Chicago 2007 I honestly though I was going to die a couple times. Once I finished I went home to wait for my friends who never showed. Well, not until much much later than expected. They said `The marathon was CANCELED!' and my response was `No it wasn't. I just finished it and I think it may have killed me.' Then we went for burgers.

There is also a difference in dealing with 3000+ people on a marathon as part of an IM and 30,000+ people on an open marathon. 

2013-08-20 9:13 PM
in reply to: swishyskirt

User image

Expert
Wendell, NC
Originally posted by swishyskirt

First Half-Ironman -- got out of the freezing cold water on a day of predicted rain and overcast, raced to transition and thought, "Well, it looks cloudy. Probably don't need to bother with sunblock today." Clouds COMPLETELY burned off within 15 minutes of the 56 mile ride with zero shade.

The only protected skin was whatever was covered by clothing -- and the ink used to body mark me.

Sooooo...massive burn for me, and I had the number "128" tattooed on my left arm for about half a year. (You can make out the 2 and the 8 in this pic):

That's way cooler than an Mdot tat
2013-08-21 3:49 AM
in reply to: Hot Runner

User image

Regular
Las Vegas, NV
Make The Best Stories.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Bad ideas Rss Feed  

of 2

RELATED POSTS

Ironman NY/NJ bad idea to worse

Started by Mirdban
Views: 1730 Posts: 13

2011-07-22 11:23 AM YeaJackson

Lets play good idea/bad idea!

Started by rbtrumpet
Views: 1137 Posts: 8

2011-04-11 9:06 AM wavedog

good idea, bad idea - re: bike

Started by rbtrumpet
Views: 1072 Posts: 8

2011-03-08 1:44 PM Indiana_Geoff

Running with a bad cough= bad idea...

Started by Thaitri
Views: 7172 Posts: 12

2010-05-28 8:46 PM mrcurtain

1st timers wave (good idea or bad idea?)

Started by triguy2004
Views: 1360 Posts: 11

2008-09-26 5:04 PM evondo
RELATED ARTICLES
date : October 31, 2011
author : hoffsquared
comments : 1
Battling nervousness and limited training for a surprisingly good finish

date : June 27, 2011
author : FlashBang
comments : 1
Feeling confident and cocky, after finally losing some weight, I got off my back side and into triathlon.
date : May 27, 2011
author : sdswriter
comments : 15
A Middle-Aged, First-Time Triathlete Overcomes the Elements and Takes Care of Some Unfinished Business

date : February 22, 2010
author : AMSSM
comments : 0
I've seen posts on chronic achilles pain, but nothing on recovery from surgery. I don't know the difference between the good pain and the bad when training.
date : December 24, 2008
author : mrakes1
Discussions on sweet snacking ideas, protein ideas for vegetarians, premenstrual cravings, eating with a cold, bodybuilding to triathlete and feeling tired.

date : March 17, 2008
author : BWL
comments : 4
Using tri training for breaking bad habits, getting healthy and gaining confidence plus a little bit of humility.
date : September 24, 2007
Discussions on salt tablets, AM workout nutrition, coffee, post workout nutrition, whey powder, recovery nutrition, losing weight, Recoverite usage, the necessity of sugars and snack ideas.

date : July 3, 2006
As we speak, a team of scientists, biochemists and nutritionists are performing experiments on the upcoming revolutionary product for improving your athletic performance.