General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » from one sprint to full ironman Rss Feed  
Moderators: IndoIronYanti, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-08-19 12:28 PM

User image

Subject: from one sprint to full ironman
that's me!! yep, i'm doing it, God willing... planning on registering for IMWI this year for 2014 entry, as soon as it opens to the public, I hope I get in. Can't volunteer to guarnatee a spot, so hoping there's a few more after the volunteers register.

I'm a darn good athlete, I can swim, bike and run. Did one sprint tri a few years ago, and although it was fun, it was over in a flash. Never did alot of tri's because it's alot of work to bring all that gear, and quite honestly the small tri's don't do it for me... I like the endurance of the larger races. I've run 2 marathons, training currently for Chicago Marathon 2013... have run countless 1/2 marathons, etc.. bike many many centuries, ride across states, the only thing I haven' t done is swim 2.5 miles!... that's where my training will be... all in Lake Michigan, I'm hoping.

So that's me... I hope I can do it... IMWI 2014 here I come. God willing!!!!

Edited by tarmac52 2013-08-19 12:34 PM

2013-08-19 1:05 PM
in reply to: tarmac52

User image

, Kronobergs lan
Subject: RE: from one sprint to full ironman
Good luck!
2013-08-19 1:36 PM
in reply to: Rollergirl

User image

thanks!!
2013-08-19 2:55 PM

User image

Champion
Sarasota, FL

Good luck, also.

Are you following a training plan?  Even though you have a strong background in cycling and running, a plan could help you keep focused and bring everything together at the right time.

Mark

2013-08-20 6:20 AM
in reply to: RedCorvette

User image

Originally posted by RedCorvette

Good luck, also.

Are you following a training plan?  Even though you have a strong background in cycling and running, a plan could help you keep focused and bring everything together at the right time.

Mark

thanks!! I don't have a training plan yet, and I am open to suggestions or recommendations. ... but I can imagine there's many training plans for an Ironman correct? I figured once I sign up, to make sure I'm in, I can start researching which plan to follow. Do you recommend any?
2013-08-20 8:02 AM

Although you have done century rides and marathons its totally different doing both back to back especially after a 2.4 mile swim. Not the optimal choice to go for a Full Ironman after only 1 sprint but best of luck to you. Check out the free Beginner Ironman plan offered on here or alot of people seem to use Don Fink's "Be Iron Fit" which offers 3 diferent plans based on your finish goals.

2013-08-20 9:21 AM
in reply to: USAFR

User image

Thanks!!, finding the right training plan will be quite a task!, thanks for the info
2013-08-20 10:44 AM

User image

Sounds awesome! That's great.
2013-08-20 11:55 AM

User image

I haven't used it specifically for training for an IM - but there is also the Matt Fitzgerald Triathlete Magazine's Essential Week by Week training Guide - it has training plans for all the distances and then broken up into 10 different levels depending on where you are and what your goals are.

i'm not sure what i am going to use for my IM next year yet...
2013-08-20 10:45 PM

User image

Veteran
Aurora, Illinois
Congrats and good luck on your registration!

You have a full year to train for it, so with a proper plan and consistency you'll be able to do it!

Definitely ride the course; the more you can ride it the more confident you'll be with your pacing on race day. I have a few athletes racing it this year and went out there to make them go out and ride it at least a couple of times this summer. So if your not too far away, take advantage of it!

Good luck!
2013-09-03 10:28 AM
in reply to: austhokie

New user

I went from nothing to an Ironman (Tremblant) within a year. When I started running 2k or a mile was brutal.

Try-a Tri in August last year, and kept training. Did a half marathon, a 30k run, and an Olympic before my Ironman. Finished the Ironman in under 14 hours.

I was going to use a plan from online, and I am glad that I did not.

Looking back at the training plan it was scary how little of cycling I had to do.

I hired a coach in February and never looked back and I am still working with him. The coach was great for mental advice, race plan, e-mails, equipment questions and just in general about the feelings and how to juggle stuff.

As my event came closer I used him more and more for advice, as on-line it was very easy to get overwhelmed and over think all the ideas.

Either way, congrats for picking that race and well done.

New Thread
General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » from one sprint to full ironman Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

One season, four sprint triathlons and I'm hooked.

Started by zef
Views: 1029 Posts: 5

2009-11-22 6:00 AM zef

Having Fun - One day Ironman!

Started by mjones2
Views: 727 Posts: 4

2009-09-24 11:57 AM stevestenzel

Planning to do an Ironman one day

Started by Bronwyn1968
Views: 1271 Posts: 21

2008-10-29 11:46 AM jtrezza

couch --> full ironman anyone?

Started by dazleung2k
Views: 3822 Posts: 7

2008-05-25 10:20 PM VinemanCalifornia

One of the many, one of the few...

Started by brynn
Views: 859 Posts: 7

2007-07-06 11:24 PM newbiedana
RELATED ARTICLES
date : February 23, 2009
author : mat steinmetz
comments : 0
I will be 20 this summer and am planning on doing Ironman Montreal. This will be my first year of triathlon, can I do this and stay away from injuries?

date : December 24, 2008
author : Coach AJ
Discussions on indoor cycling drills such as one legged drills and power intervals. Also we discuss how many half Ironman races should be done before your first full Ironman.
date : November 20, 2007
author : mikericci
Executing this full Ironman plan for 17 weeks would give people with one Ironman under their belts very good preparation for a 2nd and 3rd. Preferably, you should have a 6:30 or faster HIM time.

date : July 30, 2006
author : IRONVIKING
If a heart patient can do these things, then so can those of you who haven't been split open like a fish and sewn back together.
date : June 23, 2006
author : Team BT
One Arm Dumbbell Row strength exercise instruction with picture and video.

date : October 30, 2005
This program should be used for an athlete who has been following the progression of the Half Iron Distance program and is 12 weeks out from their first Iron distance race.
date : October 26, 2005
This Intermediate 20 week plan is a quick ramp up in overall volume, but with 20 weeks to train only, it is a gradual and safe approach because of the alternating weeks of the long run/bike.

date : April 3, 2005
author : sherrick
comments : 19
This training plan is written to prepare you for your first Ironman. While just a beginner’s plan, the hours per week start at a significant 8 hours.